Twitter: RT Terence Steele to remain starter

starfan1

Reaction score
Connor Williams is a FA after the season.

Dallas could just simply be asking themselves who are our best 5 guys and getting them on the field.

Connor has a good finesse game but the dude can be rag doll’d and penalized because of it.

La’el may not get to the 2nd level as well as Connor but he’s not going to get overpowered like he does.

I don't know maybe you're right I just don't see Lael as that mauler he was 2 years ago. He lost weight to play tackle and supposedly came in as the best shape of his career. I see Conner Williams part 2

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Collins is the 3rd best guard on the team right now.
Williams > McGovern > Collins

Williams has beaten out all competition so far.

SackMaster

Reaction score
While I'm on record that I would go with Collins at RT once he came back, I don't think it's hard to understand why Steele is still the RT for now.

I still believe that Collins is the better player, but sometimes you just ride with the hot hand.

Amazing how Steele went from "He's going to get Dak killed trying to block Bosa" to "He's the starting RT even with Collins back".

I would have never predicted it, but hats off to the young man for making the most of this opportunity.
:clap:

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
Makes sense. Connor Williams is a free agent after this season so no doubt this means he will not be resigned and La'el will be our new LG either this season if Connor doesn't get it together, or for sure next season.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
IMO, pretty simple. Collins is owed $10 million next season and the 2 after that. That's $30 million in long-term cap savings if you send him packing.

Collins doesn't play at a high level from here on out, he's gone. They want to keep Schultz and Gregory, some fat has to be cut. It was claimed on ESPN yesterday that they were supposedly happy with the play of Vander Esch, he'll be a FA, too (though I don't buy that they'll resign him). Collins, Lawrence, and (if they re-sign Gallup) Cooper could all be on the chopping block. The guys with 8 figure salaries next year have to be playing at a level that justifies that much cash and cap room.

If Collins' play isn't significantly better - and it hasn't been - than a guy making 1/10th what he makes, why would you keep him? You don't spend $10 million for a guy who would essentially be insurance. He has to play lights out the rest of the year, be it at guard or OT.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I don't trust either one of them to block Hunter, but I trust LC less in this situation. If moving LC to LG works, my goodness, the run game should go bananas.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
La'el is getting punished for being bad. He'll earn his way back to the RT position.

Just a little while ago you were thinking you were so right about Collins starting over Steele because … wait for it …. wait for it … wait for it … the majority of posters agreed with you in a poll.

Meanwhile, I just watch video of games and pay no attention to your poll. :muttley:

phildadon86

Reaction score
Connor Williams is a FA after the season.

Dallas could just simply be asking themselves who are our best 5 guys and getting them on the field.

Connor has a good finesse game but the dude can be rag doll’d and penalized because of it.

La’el may not get to the 2nd level as well as Connor but he’s not going to get overpowered like he does.
I posted a video of Collins in another thread. The dude out ran McFadden lol. He can get to the second level. I always thought his best position was G.

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
If we can trade Connor Williams for a second or a third we will be in a great shape.. move Lael to LG

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score
Unless Collins just isn’t ready yet physically, this is pure insanity. We’re still actively game planning around Steele in the passing game. Collins was dominant against TB in pass pro.

Madness
Williams isn't exactly dominant in pass protection either. Lael next to Tyron and Biadasz really improves keeping the middle of the pocket clean

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Love this. The young kid came in, took his lumps, but then through discipline and hard work made himself into a player. By all accounts he's done everything right since the offseason. You don't automatically throw that guy aside for a knucklehead coming off a stupid suspension just because of talent.

It's yet another example of how the culture of this team has changed.

Last edited:

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Yep and I also told you that if Steele was great I wouldn’t regret my opinion based on the information I had.

I still don’t regret my opinion either..

You shouldn't regret that opinion at all, all we had to go on was last year when they kept blindly playing Steele and he got destroyed and then they finally performed better once Martin went to RT. Everyone thought that until Steele played well. It's nice to see this staff has been right about their talent evaluation for the most part, even if it's not always immediate.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What?!!! Teams are probably offering 1st round picks right now for Collins. $10M for a starting caliber OT under age 30 will generate huge demand.

Vould easily get a 1st round pick for him.

Nope.

quickccc

Reaction score
Collins has seen no action since opening day. It's a no brainer at this point.

yeh Collins has only played one game in 2 years .. and he was already trying to get up to form this offseason off hip surgery and rehab..
Vikes DE Danielle Hunter is a heckuva All pro DE and you don't want to come in rusty and out synch

Lael wasn't hurt but being suspended, he could not be involved in actual practicing with the team. He could be at the facility, but not participating in practicing.

Bringing Lael back at a gradual pace sounds reasonable.
But It's also interesting that they chose to input him at OG. too - even with McGovern a true OG, who already was expected to be in the mix as a top backup reserve.

o_O