RUMOR: Arrington to sign 6 year deal with Giants

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Strange that Marvin Lewis hates him so much, but still courted him to come to Cincy.

I don't think Marvin hates him as a person, just his style of play...reckless

but that's certainly not going to keep people from courting him, after all, LaVar is a great talent and is still relatively young

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Tell those voices in your head to start posting!:laugh2:

I keed, I keed....

i've come to find there's not much of a way to shut those voices up. :)

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
He's not all hype, he's an impact player who makes impact plays. If he's considered overrated, he's overrated in the way that most non-Cowboy fans think Roy Williams is overrated. He may not rack up a ton of meaningless tackles by always finding a way into a pile after a 5 yard gain like Dat Nguyen, but he makes impact plays that change games. Turnovers, sacks, forced fumbles, hits that knock key offensive players out of commission. Everytime he's on the field you have a chance at a game changing play. Look at the Tampa game in the playoffs.

Agreed. The guy is a playmaker on defense. He is recovering fine, he says his knee has never felt better, he's a workout warrior now, looking to prove the Commanders wrong. He is going to be a monster and I hope he signs somewhere else, other than a team in the NFC East. I don't care if he plays out of the "Scheme", when he's on the field, he causes major headaches. In the limited time he played last year, he was amazing. I don't care what anyone says, I wish LaVar would come to Dallas, but it's not gonna happen. I hope he goes to the Bengals or Phins.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
iceberg, chill, our OLine is going to be fine, and there's still the draft

well, despite the fact there seems to be some vocals who feel losing a HOF player albiet in the later part of his career won't hurt, sticking with players that really haven't shown anything, losing other players and then relying on retreads will yeild a positive result.

i beg to differ. : ) at this point unless we trade for a solid anchor, i'll not hold out hope billp can get it right in the draft simply cause he's not done it yet since coming here.

name me 1 player he's drafted for our OL we're happy with that will give us hope he'll get it right this time.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
name me 1 player he's drafted for our OL we're happy with that will give us hope he'll get it right this time.

don't need to, I'm not even relying on the rook, just FLozell coming back healthy, Rivera too, Al Johnson developing, Pettiti and Gurode too, and the signings of 2 solid players in Kosier and Fabini

that's not a great line, but again, it's fine

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
don't need to, I'm not even relying on the rook, just FLozell coming back healthy, Rivera too, Al Johnson developing, Pettiti and Gurode too, and the signings of 2 solid players in Kosier and Fabini

that's not a great line, but again, it's fine

who was the one who pointed to the draft as something to watch for another player?

i hope i'm wrong, but in my head it just doesn't add up to a better line. it adds up like once again any ONE injury will erode the line and kill us overall.

counting on people to come back healthy and not counting on someone getting hurt is just silly to me.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
i hope i'm wrong, but in my head it just doesn't add up to a better line. it adds up like once again any ONE injury will erode the line and kill us overall.

well, we're replacing a rookie RT with a solid vet, we're replacing a slow and immobile LA, with a quick and mobile Kosier, that looks like improvement to me, and the draft is where we provide depth

and by the time the season rolls around FLozell will be 100% healthy, we were manageable on the line last year with him in the lineup, but now we're much better at RT and quicker in the interior of the line

plus Al Johnson gaining experience, Rivera coming back healthy

so AGAIN, the line will be fine

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
well, we're replacing a rookie RT with a solid vet, we're replacing a slow and immobile LA, with a quick and mobile Kosier, that looks like improvement to me, and the draft is where we provide depth

and by the time the season rolls around FLozell will be 100% healthy, we were manageable on the line last year with him in the lineup, but now we're much better at RT and quicker in the interior of the line

plus Al Johnson gaining experience, Rivera coming back healthy

so AGAIN, the line will be fine

there's debate at who will back up - the former rookie or the vet.
even a 70% LA was better than 90% out there - we used to comfort ourselves in that battlecry. now suddenly 70% is easy to replace. fans are so fickle.
and again - name 1 player we've drafted for the OL in the last 3-4 years we've been happy with.

i don't look for changes to become positive until they are. i tend to look at past history as a guide to current moves. changing is fine, but it doesn't mean 1) it's good and 2) changes other teams make won't be better.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Woods said:
Let's hope Lavar signs out of our division . . . .

SEND HIM TO MIAMI...

but hell with Lavar.. Cowboys should hopefully draft

MANNY LAWSON... people talkin about Osi, Strahan, Pierce and Arrington...

Let's talk about Demarcus Ware, Manny Lawson, Akin Adoyele, Bradie James, and Marcus Spears, and Greg Ellis...

I believe if we draft Manny Lawson we would have the best linebacker core in the NFL...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
iceberg said:
there's debate at who will back up - the former rookie or the vet.
even a 70% LA was better than 90% out there - we used to comfort ourselves in that battlecry. now suddenly 70% is easy to replace. fans are so fickle.

c'mon, be honest, LA was great when he got his hands on people, but once he was out in space, he was useless, that's the advantage that Kosier has on LA...playing in space to sustain holes for the RBs and block LBs at the 2nd level

iceberg said:
and again - name 1 player we've drafted for the OL in the last 3-4 years we've been happy with.

none, but that doesn't mean our fortunes drafting Olineman can't change

iceberg said:
i don't look for changes to become positive until they are. i tend to look at past history as a guide to current moves. changing is fine, but it doesn't mean 1) it's good and 2) changes other teams make won't be better.

the changes we made are better, as I already pointed out to you, last year we had an immobile LA inside, now we have a mobile Kosier...improvement

we had a rookie starting at RT, he gave up 12 sacks, now we have a veteran, or a Pettiti in his 2nd year starting at RT, and we're not going to be giving up 12 sacks from the right-side...improvement

2 of our biggest holes on the line last year have been filled, and another, Flozell coming back healthy

if you were looking for the COwboys to improve their line to make it one of the best in the league, then we haven't improved (C being a question mark, Rivera too) but if you are looking for a competent line that will give BLedsoe needed protection, and Julius a little more space to run in, then we've improved, the line is fine

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Here's my problem with "The line will be fine" mantra.

1) Tackles:
Flozell - his major question before now has been with speed rushers. He just underwent a knee injury. Knee injuries usually affect lateral movement and quickness.
Fabini - descent player who wasn't picked up by his old team. Older. Coming off an injury. ONLY picked up because of Bill past. Is he another Ryan Young?
Petitti - didn't prove he could do it all last year. He is one of the players that everyone is griping about not getting the job done. Now while he might improve, he also might digress this year.

2. Guards
Rivera - older, pro-bowler who might be done due to back injuries. Major question mark
Kosier - unproven, unknown Is he better than Peterman?
Peterman - unproven, unknown, and coming off an injury, possible bust

3. Centers
Johnson - ended up in the backfield too often. Did not prove he could do it last year. One of the reasons for Gurode to be resigned.
Gurode - couldn't make it at guard, and now can't crack the starting lineup at center

So every guy here is suppose to have a career year, and all of a sudden become this awesome line that gives DB plenty of time to get the ball to TO?

From a optomistic view, "Yes, the line is fine". From a pessimistic view "You have questions at EVERY position". From a realistic view "Dallas really needs to add two Linemen that aren't busts early in the draft so they can have time to develop".

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Dalmations202 said:
From a optomistic view, "Yes, the line is fine". From a pessimistic view "You have questions at EVERY position". From a realistic view "Dallas really needs to add two Linemen that aren't busts early in the draft so they can have time to develop".

I'm not being optimistic, I'm looking at reality, the line wasn't that big of a liability before Flo went down, we improved, and he's coming back healthy

no matter how much Flo struggles with speed rushers, he's still a quality LT, we all saw it once he went down, and with Fabini at RT, that's the 2 OT positions that don't need TE help, that's Witten being freed to act as Bledsoe's "hot receiver", an effective dump-off option is as effective as any good amount of pass-protection, and not to mention TO's extreme effectiveness beating man-coverage and getting seperation quicly at the line

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Dalmations202 said:
Here's my problem with "The line will be fine" mantra.

1) Tackles:
Flozell - his major question before now has been with speed rushers. He just underwent a knee injury. Knee injuries usually affect lateral movement and quickness.
Flozell will be fine. ACL surgerys have become commonplace and while he may struggle at first gaining trust in his knee he will be fine in the end.

descent player who wasn't picked up by his old team. Older. Coming off an injury. ONLY picked up because of Bill past. Is he another Ryan Young?

His old team cut him because he had a high cap number they did want him back. Ryan Young had knee problems. Fabini doesn;t. Fabini had a torn pec and is 100%.

Petitti -
didn't prove he could do it all last year. He is one of the players that everyone is griping about not getting the job done. Now while he might improve, he also might digress this year.

He is a backup, and being in his second year you have to figure he improves since thats usually how the cycle works. It is possible that he takes a step back but hell alot of things are possible with all players.

2. Guards
Rivera - older, pro-bowler who might be done due to back injuries. Major question mark

Don't tell Rivera he is done he said his back is 100% and has no problems whatsoever.

unproven, unknown Is he better than Peterman?

Unknown to some fans maybe but he was sought after this offseason. Has 40 starts to his credit so he obviously is doing something right. Detroit allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL last season I believe. Yes he is better than Peterman LMAO

Peterman -
unproven, unknown, and coming off an injury, possible bust

I don;t believe Peterman was injured last season that was 2004. I won;t call him a bust yet but he needs to get on the field

3. Centers
Johnson - ended up in the backfield too often. Did not prove he could do it last year. One of the reasons for Gurode to be resigned.
Gurode - couldn't make it at guard, and now can't crack the starting lineup at center

This is where I feel we have a weakness, although I do not think C is a gaping hole like some do.

So every guy here is suppose to have a career year, and all of a sudden become this awesome line that gives DB plenty of time to get the ball to TO?

Where did anyone say "career year" or "awesome line"?? See this is where people go wrong they ry to imbellish what is actually said. Someone says the line is "ok" you translate that as "best OLine ever"

Realistic view is the line has improved over last season, we will probably draft at least 1 OL

Dalmations202

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Realistic view is the line has improved over last season, we will probably draft at least 1 OL

Realistic view from last year TC. Dallas had an all-pro left side of the line. A High draft pick coming back at center. An All-pro guard coming to man the RG position, and a 2nd round pick named Rogers to man the RT position. Should have been an awesome line and a strength, not just adequate. They had two high draft picks in Gurode and Peterman for backups, and even 6th rounder who would likely be on the practice squad name Petitti.

Looking back. That line was "on paper" was light years ahead of the one this year.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Strange that Marvin Lewis hates him so much, but still courted him to come to Cincy.

I thought this was speculation - even the Postons said they were unaware of interest by Cincy.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vertigo_17 said:
I thought this was speculation - even the Postons said they were unaware of interest by Cincy.
Lewis was quoted in some article as having interest...

I'd look for it, but I'm actually working.. :)

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
I guess this is what I was reading/misreading :)

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/
LB Wilkins re-signs; no Arrington visit today

By Mark Curnutte
Enquirer staff writer

Oops, LaVar Arrington did not visit the Bengals today, but the Bengals did re-sign another linebacker, Marcus Wilkins.

Wilkins signed a one-year contract and received a $40,000 signing bonus, said agent Mark
Mersel.

Wilkins tied for second in 2005 with 17 special teams tackles. He forced one fumble.

"He wanted to come back. He's excited," Mersel said of Wilkins, a four-year veteran who was an unrestricted free agent. "He wants to force them to give him a bigger look on defense."

The Bengals last week re-signed safety Anthony Mitchell, another UFA, who had led with 18 special teams tackles in 2005.

As for Arrington, agent Kevin Poston said this afternoon that the former Commanders linebacker probably would visit Cincinnati.

"I do anticipate that," Poston said. "But I can’t say if or when that would happen. If he's there, he's fooling me."

Arrington's agents said miscommunication resulted in confirmation that the player arrived Wednesday night for a Thursday meeting with the Bengals.

Arrington has visited the Dolphins and Giants and could be headed to see the Jaguars, the agent said.

Arrington had the best season of his six-year NFL career in 2002, when Bengals coach Marvin Lewis was defensive coordinator with the Commanders. Arrington had 11 sacks.

Also this afternoon, the Bengals confirmed the visit of former Ravens quarterback Anthony Wright.

Reached by phone, Joel Segal, Wright's agent, said to call back Friday to determine how Wright’s visit went with the Bengals.

E-mail mcurnutte@enquirer.com

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Where did anyone say "career year" or "awesome line"?? See this is where people go wrong they ry to imbellish what is actually said. Someone says the line is "ok" you translate that as "best OLine ever"

i think the confusion lies that while the "potential" to have slight improvement to the line is there, the "potential" is it will blow chunks also due to all the change and unknowns.

best case scenario: we have an average to slightly above average line.
worse case: all ?'s fall flat and we have one of the worst in the league.

keep in mind these are just the extremes, but the good extreme isn't GOOD ENOUGH for drew - it never has been, and i doubt he'll suddenly change his methods and adapt to the line vs. the line needing to adapt to him.

if we're really on a superbowl fun are you really comfortable with "oh, the line should be fine if blah blah blah" happens?

great, if it does, it will be fine and above average to a degree. best case.

worst case see most of my threads on the topic. : )