RUMOR: Arrington to sign 6 year deal with Giants

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Dalmations202 said:
This isn't a good sign when Dallas signs a OG to take the place of LA, and the first video you see of him is an available OLB just destroying him.

I hope he has improved dramatically.

I'm sure that he has improved a lot since then. Also, everyone gets off balance and knocked back, every now and then. It happens to all players.

Just this one was done by the Commanders little Demi-god, Lavar and they had to make a special video of it.

Just like Greg Jones ran right over Sean Taylor while they were in college. You watch that video and you think Taylor is a wuss. Watch him play though and you see that isn't at all the type of player that he is.

Just an embarassing moment for Kosier... no more... no less.

superpunk

Reaction score
Dalmations202 said:
This isn't a good sign when Dallas signs a OG to take the place of LA, and the first video you see of him is an available OLB just destroying him.

I hope he has improved dramatically.

That was the third game of his rookie season. Five years ago. I'd wager he's improved a little bit.

JJB500

Reaction score
Remember Reggie White vs Larry Allen in 1994, I think LA turned out ok!

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's not all hype, he's an impact player who makes impact plays. If he's considered overrated, he's overrated in the way that most non-Cowboy fans think Roy Williams is overrated. He may not rack up a ton of meaningless tackles by always finding a way into a pile after a 5 yard gain like Dat Nguyen, but he makes impact plays that change games. Turnovers, sacks, forced fumbles, hits that knock key offensive players out of commission. Everytime he's on the field you have a chance at a game changing play. Look at the Tampa game in the playoffs.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
with Strahan, Osi, Lavar and Pierce among others up front, their front 7 should be tough to deal with for any team.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I'm sure that he has improved a lot since then. Also, everyone gets off balance and knocked back, every now and then. It happens to all players.

Just this one was done by the Commanders little Demi-god, Lavar and they had to make a special video of it.

Just like Greg Jones ran right over Sean Taylor while they were in college. You watch that video and you think Taylor is a wuss. Watch him play though and you see that isn't at all the type of player that he is.

Just an embarassing moment for Kosier... no more... no less.

While true, everyone gets off balance at times, I guess I had expected more. This is the guy that is to replace 10 time pro-bowler Larry Allen. I hadn't heard of him, till this free agency period, and I did some reading. He sounds like a good pick. I am a big Lavar fan because no matter what rookie you get, there are rookie mistakes, and Lavar is a proven playmaker. He is prototypical in size and pass rush for an SOLB for the 3-4.

The first time I actually see Kosier on film, Lavar is destroying him. Ouch.

Lavar probably ends up with the Giants. Dallas needs an upgrade at SOLB. I guess I just don't understand the logic of needing a playmaker on D, having the $$$ available, having a player (Arrington or Peterson) available, then putting your hopes in the unknown.

I don't mind them taking the best player in the draft, whatever the position, and putting him behind a great player. You can always cut the high $$$ one later. My problem is that you might bust as well with any player due to many factors. Don't let it be at a position that might cause a major drop in your O or D because you thought you might be able to get a servicable player in the draft.

DallasKen

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
He's not all hype, he's an impact player who makes impact plays. If he's considered overrated, he's overrated in the way that most non-Cowboy fans think Roy Williams is overrated. He may not rack up a ton of meaningless tackles by always finding a way into a pile after a 5 yard gain like Dat Nguyen, but he makes impact plays that change games. Turnovers, sacks, forced fumbles, hits that knock key offensive players out of commission. Everytime he's on the field you have a chance at a game changing play. Look at the Tampa game in the playoffs.

I tend to agree with you...His only problem lately, is staying on the field. Who knows if the injuries are going to be an oft recurring theme. He's a kooky cat, I will say. His head ain't made right.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Dalmations202 said:
While true, everyone gets off balance at times, I guess I had expected more. This is the guy that is to replace 10 time pro-bowler Larry Allen. I hadn't heard of him, till this free agency period, and I did some reading. He sounds like a good pick. I am a big Lavar fan because no matter what rookie you get, there are rookie mistakes, and Lavar is a proven playmaker. He is prototypical in size and pass rush for an SOLB for the 3-4.

The first time I actually see Kosier on film, Lavar is destroying him. Ouch.

Lavar probably ends up with the Giants. Dallas needs an upgrade at SOLB. I guess I just don't understand the logic of needing a playmaker on D, having the $$$ available, having a player (Arrington or Peterson) available, then putting your hopes in the unknown.

I don't mind them taking the best player in the draft, whatever the position, and putting him behind a great player. You can always cut the high $$$ one later. My problem is that you might bust as well with any player due to many factors. Don't let it be at a position that might cause a major drop in your O or D because you thought you might be able to get a servicable player in the draft.

I understand what Bill and Jerry are doing and why they wouldn't want to pay big money to Arringron... still, it's hard to argue with what you're saying here.

While overrated in a 4-3... I think that Lavar would light things up as a 3-4 OLB. He could be a dominant force as out SOLB and I hate that Jerry and Bill aren't even considering it. Or perhaps they are and just consider the money too high.

And the fact that Lavar said he can't see himself wearing the star... that means nothing. He didn't say he didn't want to be here or say anything bad about Dallas... he just said he had a difficult time seeing it because of all his time as a Commander. That could just as easily mean that he didn't think we'd want him as meaning he didn't want to be here.

Pabst

Reaction score
I don't see what the big deal is.

He goes from one division rival to another. The Cowboys still see him twice a year, same as always. Nothing changes.

Personally, I'm a bit glad. Have any of you watched his play when it wasn't on SportsCenter? He doesn't just "miss" assignements, he actively disregards them. I can't count how many times I've seen running backs make it to the flat for an easy 10 yard pickup on 3rd and 5 because LaVar would rather make a desperate and stupid rush for the Quarterback. Lamar Marshall, his backup a year or so ago, was outplaying him a lot of the time, regardless of whether Lavar was healthy or not.

Yes, Lavar will make a big play every now and then, and sometimes, that big play is all you need (TB game). Most of the time, though, it's not. You need consistency.

LaVar is a decent player, but just that. He isn't worth huge money, but will probably get it anyway. I think some of the posters here havn't gotten over what he did to Aikman, which was merely toss a straw on the camels back, despite what Skins fans will tell you.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Our make-shift OL is more screwed now than ever. The G-men man-handled our OL without LaVaar, but with him blitzing from all directions on us....???? :(

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
SteveOS said:
If he went anywhere in the NFC East, I had hoped it would be Dallas. :(

Oh well, if it's true, the Boys better bolster that O-line. Ugh.

whatever do you mean? our OL is fine from all the debates from yesterday where i was slamed for daring to say we're a step behind on the OL from last year. i took great comfort in knowing it's a "lock" that kozier will be better than allen, flo is 100% over his injury, johnson added 15 lbs, and rivera says he's fine. it really made me sleep like a baby last night all warm and fuzzy like.

superpunk

Reaction score
Interesting article, from a few years ago....posted it before, but here it is again, with clips at bottom...

vol5no24arrington.html

That was the last time they spoke -- until the Commanders pursued Marvin to be their defensive coordinator last winter. Marvin almost turned them down, but the money was outrageous, and he remembered the kid from North Hills. "LaVar is one of the reasons why you come," he says. But Marvin got to DC and started watching game film, and he couldn't believe the brainless way No. 56 played. "He ran around like a chicken with his head cut off," Marvin says.

So Marvin and LaVar were going to battle too. Marvin was going to ask LaVar to be a stay-in-your-gap linebacker on first and second downs and a pass-rushing defensive end on third. Marvin was going to try what Ray Rhodes tried during LaVar's rookie year: rein him in. Rhodes failed, of course, because LaVar was doubled over half the time. "I had a little belly on me," LaVar says. "The coaches didn't like me. I was new money. I was eating out every day, eating the wrong things. Too lax."

The team went 8–8, Rhodes was replaced by Kurt Schottenheimer, Marty's little brother. LaVar loved that Kurt and Marty asked him to just chase the football, and he turned an 0–5 season around with an interception return against Carolina. But the team went 8–8 again, and Dan Snyder made his annual coaching change. In came the Steve Spurrier-Marvin Lewis regime. Imagine LaVar's surprise when Marvin told him he'd been doing everything wrong.

"He killed them last year, killed his own team," Marvin says. "Against Chicago, critical third down, he doesn't cover the back. Back catches the ball for a first down. A guy I could cover. And they lose."

Then how did Arrington make the Pro Bowl?

"It's like I told him: You'll be on SportsCenter for your big hits, and you might go to the Pro Bowl, but we'll win six games," Marvin says. "Or you can do it right, and we can win 12 games."

But too late. During games, LaVar would break the huddle and raise his palms up. "When he raises his hands it means, 'I don't know this call, I'm just going to be LaVar,' " says teammate Jessie Armstead. Lewis benched him a play in Frisco for doing that. And on the plane home from that game, LaVar told friends, "I didn't come here to be a defensive end."

superpunk

Reaction score
iceberg said:
our OL is fine from all the debates from yesterday where i was slamed for daring to say we're a step behind on the OL from last year.

Slammed? All the debates? Someone's being a little dramatic, I think.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk said:
But too late. During games, LaVar would break the huddle and raise his palms up. "When he raises his hands it means, 'I don't know this call, I'm just going to be LaVar,' " says teammate Jessie Armstead.

:laugh2:

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Slammed? All the debates? Someone's being a little dramatic, I think.

a little? it's the diet cherry vanilla dr pepper. i think the current trend is to get at least 3 flavors into soft drinks, but man, does it throw reality off after that!

however, from all the "discussion" it was pretty clear to me most of the "vocal" fans on the board think the OL will be better than last year. however, everyone i talked to yesterday NOT online felt like me, we've got a lot of ?'s you simply can't call "fixed" till they show it is. i didn't talk to anyone in person who felt our line has improved.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Strange that Marvin Lewis hates him so much, but still courted him to come to Cincy.

Finally, on his trip around the field, he sought out LaVar Arrington, who was a dominant star in Marty's defensive system, but was in the most remote doghouse at Commanders Park earlier this season. Schottenheimer simply stood in front of Arrington with his arms wide. After a moment, the disappointed linebacker couldn't help but break into his trademark grin and give his old coach a bear hug.

"Can't tell you what we said," said Arrington, who got a pep talk from Schottenheimer via a mutual NFL friend a few weeks ago when his battles with the Commanders' coaching staff and front office seemed most intense.

"Things were a little rough for LaVar earlier this season," said Schottenheimer. "I didn't think it was appropriate for me to contact him directly. But there are certain players throughout your career of whom you are just very fond. LaVar is one of them for me. I love his energy. He just loves to play the game."

superpunk

Reaction score
iceberg said:
however, everyone i talked to yesterday NOT online felt like me, we've got a lot of ?'s you simply can't call "fixed" till they show it is. i didn't talk to anyone in person who felt our line has improved.

Tell those voices in your head to start posting!:laugh2:

I keed, I keed....

superpunk

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Strange that Marvin Lewis hates him so much, but still courted him to come to Cincy.

Was that ever confirmed? I thought that was just a rumor, particularly after remembering that article. Apparently he got along great with Schottenheimer, which is why I'm so amazed that San Diego hasn't pushed real hard for him.