Rumor: Cowboys high on Gordon

jnday

Reaction score
Gordon may be the Wisconsin RB that actually lives up to the hype, but I don.'to see him as being an elite RB. It is not hard to see Gurley as an elite prospect. He just seems to be on another level. None of us has any control over the pick at 27, so if Gordon is it, we can only hope for the best. There could be worse picks at 27. Trading up for Gordon would sour my opinion of the pick considering that he is not an elite prospect that would be worth the cost. I only hope that Dallas continues using common sense and don't return to the ways of the past.

Reaction score
If a bunch of doofuses like us can see a smokescreen a mile away through all the muck of our twitter feeds wouldn't you think every NFL front office would have an inkling of suspicion?

No doubt, but NFL teams still continue to do it. I'm with you though. I don't know why. They all should just keep their mouths shut.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gordon may be the Wisconsin RB that actually lives up to the hype, but I don.'to see him as being an elite RB. It is not hard to see Gurley as an elite prospect. He just seems to be on another level. None of us has any control over the pick at 27, so if Gordon is it, we can only hope for the best. There could be worse picks at 27. Trading up for Gordon would sour my opinion of the pick considering that he is not an elite prospect that would be worth the cost. I only hope that Dallas continues using common sense and don't return to the ways of the past.

I'd snap if they traded up.

Too many decent backs available for that sort of thing.

Sydla

Reaction score
Agree. If he is there at 27 fine but I don't see him as an elite talent and I'm not keen on giving up high picks unless they are elite

Exactly. But part of me wonders if the organization goes overboard with their new found love of the ground game/ball control offense and think they have to find Murray's replacement even if that means moving up. We've done the draft right the last few years............ don't go Claiborne silly on us.

Fredd

Reaction score
must keep picks or minimally pick up additional picks....no trade ups....

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@TonyPauline: I'm told the Dallas Cowboys very high on Melvin Gordon/RB/Wisconsin and are targeting him in round one. Trade up?

Boom! Hope this is our guy..he's my #1 target

Not interested in moving up though

I don't know how this guy would know. You can usually get a sense from the Cowboys media guys Mickey/Broaddus if the Cowboys really really like a player. They might not say it directly, but usually they'll keep talking about that player.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fisher or the hacks he hired from BTB as his writers? You know a site is legit when there writers still use there old message board usernames

It is unfortunate what he has done. Fisher was a good inside guy with good accuracy in the past, but now that he is trying to sell that website he has been more prone to hype. He is really shooting himself in the foot with the guys that he has working for him there. Those guys are fans that are wanna be media guys and now they're using Fisher's name to try to make themselves seem legit.

jnday

Reaction score
I'd snap if they traded up.

Too many decent backs available for that sort of thing.
If Gurley didn't have any injury history at all, I could live with a trade up. Of course that is not the case, so there is no way that I would be okay with trading up for one these lesser RBs. I can't see any player worth a trade up considering the cost to move from 27.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Sums it up well for me.

As well as seeing the myth of 'breakaway speed' debunked by his actual workouts.

I think Gordon is going to be a very, very good NFL RB if he gets in the right situation... and I probably don't need to tell you that Dallas is the right situation for him.

He's played in a similar blocking scheme in college and he has really good vision (something I've been wanting in a back since Murray first came on-board).

As for his speed, it is ok but not great. There are a few things that I try to keep in mind regarding that though:

1. Some guys just carry their pads well and play much faster than other guys who ran a faster 40 than they did. Dez is a great example of that. His 40 time is very middling but rarely do guys catch him. Emmitt was the same. There is no doubt that Gordon is the same.

2. It is Gordon's acceleration that makes him special. He has an ability to stop and start quicker than anyone else on the field. Guys think they have him and he goes from 0 to 60 in a split second and pulls away from them. It is that acceleration that makes him look so fast on the field. When he slows down and the defender starts to break down, his goose is cooked because Gordon is going to pop up to top speed much quicker than the defender can.

3. Change of direction is another aspect of game speed and just watching him run, you can tell that his change of direction is elite. Add that fantastic change of direction to his instant acceleration and you have a special back.

Gordon has really good run instincts and vision too, and all of these traits add up to make him one of the very best backs I have seen in a while. I haven't liked any of the other Wisconsin backs coming out, but this guy is clearly a terrific RB.

I love the guy as a prospect and I would be more than happy with him as the first round pick. Sometimes I even go back and forth on if I like him better than Gurley. I'm still not sure actually.

As soon as people see Gordon popping through the line through a big gap the OL has created, all doubt will go away.

burmafrd

Reaction score
no writer who has a brain would take anything told to him at this time as anything other than full of smoke

endersdragon

Reaction score

The last time we traded up a few spots from 27 we got a guy named Dez Bryant... just saying.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Gordon is going to be a very, very good NFL RB if he gets in the right situation... and I probably don't need to tell you that Dallas is the right situation for him.

With this offensive line, we're the "right situation" for any running back, not just Gordon.

He's played in a similar blocking scheme in college and he has really good vision (something I've been wanting in a back since Murray first came on-board).

I think Gurley's vision and reaction time is far superior.

As for his speed, it is ok but not great. There are a few things that I try to keep in mind regarding that though:

1. Some guys just carry their pads well and play much faster than other guys who ran a faster 40 than they did. Dez is a great example of that. His 40 time is very middling but rarely do guys catch him. Emmitt was the same. There is no doubt that Gordon is the same.

2. It is Gordon's acceleration that makes him special. He has an ability to stop and start quicker than anyone else on the field. Guys think they have him and he goes from 0 to 60 in a split second and pulls away from them. It is that acceleration that makes him look so fast on the field. When he slows down and the defender starts to break down, his goose is cooked because Gordon is going to pop up to top speed much quicker than the defender can.

3. Change of direction is another aspect of game speed and just watching him run, you can tell that his change of direction is elite. Add that fantastic change of direction to his instant acceleration and you have a special back.

Gordon has really good run instincts and vision too, and all of these traits add up to make him one of the very best backs I have seen in a while. I haven't liked any of the other Wisconsin backs coming out, but this guy is clearly a terrific RB.

I love the guy as a prospect and I would be more than happy with him as the first round pick. Sometimes I even go back and forth on if I like him better than Gurley. I'm still not sure actually.

As soon as people see Gordon popping through the line through a big gap the OL has created, all doubt will go away.

Again, anyone can run through gaping holes, that doesn't take a special back. In comparing them both, and looking at their overall attributes, Gurley looks like the special one to me, blending vision, power, and speed into a once a decade package.

Gordon looks like a good running back who benefits from a specific system and isn't worth a first round pick for this team. Again, just my opinion.

Gaede

Reaction score
I can't believe there's this much debate on Gordon. 2500 yds and 29 tds. Those kind of numbers are not a fluke.

It's not rocket science. He is arguably the top running back in this draft and we need a running back.

And he's a system back? Well I guess he'll fit right in here--on an offense that turned a running back with no speed and questionable vision into the OPOY

jnday

Reaction score
I can't believe there's this much debate on Gordon. 2500 yds and 29 tds. Those kind of numbers are not a fluke.

It's not rocket science. He is arguably the top running back in this draft and we need a running back.

And he's a system back? Well I guess he'll fit right in here--on an offense that turned a running back with no speed and questionable vision into the OPOY

I think the question with Gordon is " is he better than the other RBs that could be had with a later pick?". The system inflated his numbers as it has other Wisconsin RBs, but he could have the talent to be a good pro. There are other RBs that did not have a system that was built on the oline and running the ball, but they put up impressive numbers as well. I see Gordon's situation as comparable to these system QBs that put up great numbers in college, but their talent does not translate well to the pro level. Gordon is a gamble in a way. I would hate to see the team use a first round pick on him if his talent is no better than a RB that could be drafted in the second round. Gordon's stats are impressive, but I am more impressed with the stats of a guy like Coleman that didn't play in system that inflates RB stats. The scouts that have put the time in on studying Gordon are the only people that has a clue about how Gordon's talent will translate to the pros. I guess we have to depend on them.

Gaede

Reaction score
I'd say there isn't really a question. Those numbers are phenomenal. Normally the debate is whether a slow or short RB had his numbers inflated by a system. Not someone who literally checks all the necessary boxes

reddyuta

Reaction score
let me also make a point that we as a franchise have regretted mightly on passing on RBs who we had rated pretty high on our board,thry wont make that mistake again.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way the Cowboys have marched running backs into Valley Ranch, I don't think they're committed to that "one" guy.