Rumor: Cowboys high on Gordon

dallasdave

Reaction score
@TonyPauline: I'm told the Dallas Cowboys very high on Melvin Gordon/RB/Wisconsin and are targeting him in round one. Trade up?

Boom! Hope this is our guy..he's my #1 target

Not interested in moving up though

Go get him, Gordons a game breaker.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurley and Gordon will both be gone by the time Dallas selects at #27.

Dallas had several RB's visit... which tells me they could take one of several possible.

Just like last year when they would have take the OLB, but he was taken by Pitt and they simply took Martin.

Similar will happen this year. If their target is gone, they'll simply go another direction.

JBS

Reaction score
Gurley and Gordon will both be gone by the time Dallas selects at #27.

Dallas had several RB's visit... which tells me they could take one of several possible.

Just like last year when they would have take the OLB, but he was taken by Pitt and they simply took Martin.

Similar will happen this year. If their target is gone, they'll simply go another direction.

Gurley definitely gone...Gordon 50-50

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
@TonyPauline: I'm told the Dallas Cowboys very high on Melvin Gordon/RB/Wisconsin and are targeting him in round one. Trade up?

Boom! Hope this is our guy..he's my #1 target

Not interested in moving up though

Yea, I think Gurley has the highest upside, and barring injury will have a longer more successful career. But I think Gordon would be a nightmare in Dallas. Considering that we will have an extra 4th and 6th rounder, I'd trade our 2016 4th and 6th to get ahead of Baltimore, Carolina and Arizona. Would likely have to trade with Pittsburgh, Cincy or Detroit, assuming that they don't want RBs

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gurley definitely gone...Gordon 50-50

I think these teams could be looking for a back:
-SF
-SD
-Cleveland (2nd pick)
-Detroit
-Carolina
-Baltimore

Of course not all of them will take one, but that's still a pretty good list that will probably take both of those guys off the board by the time Dallas picks.

JBS

Reaction score
But that still doesn't change much...I agree w the rest

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yea, I think Gurley has the highest upside, and barring injury will have a longer more successful career. But I think Gordon would be a nightmare in Dallas. Considering that we will have an extra 4th and 6th rounder, I'd trade our 2016 4th and 6th to get ahead of Baltimore, Carolina and Arizona. Would likely have to trade with Pittsburgh, Cincy or Detroit, assuming that they don't want RBs

No.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Id honestly rather take Ajayi at 27.

With how raw Gordon is at pass pro and receiving you would be seeing much more of McFadden then you want to. Id be fine with that with a 2nd or 3rd round HB. Not a first round HB

No way at 27 do i even think of taking a 2nd round rb. That's insane

JBS

Reaction score
No way at 27 do i even think of taking a 2nd round rb. That's insane

Ajayi isn't going much later than 27... I agree that I'm not taking him at 27 either...but he isn't on the board much later than that...he will go top 40

jnday

Reaction score
I really don't understand all the smokescreen accusations. Usually when Jerry speaks about a draft prospect, the team has some interest in the player and they have him rated high. There is a big difference between media generated rumors and smokescreens. In the past few years these so-called smokescreens are nothing more than the media taking a comment and overblowing it. It is not some top secret plan by the team to leak information. Some fans think the draft has some type of CIA secretive plans of deception. The process leading up to the draft is not that complicated.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I think these teams could be looking for a back:
-SF
-SD
-Cleveland (2nd pick)
-Detroit
-Carolina
-Baltimore

Of course not all of them will take one, but that's still a pretty good list that will probably take both of those guys off the board by the time Dallas picks.

I think that list is a little long and every one of them except Arizona has at least an equal need as RB and most a bigger need.

SF has Hyde and needs LB, DL and CB help. I think they choose to go a different direction than RB.

SD has an absolutely atrocious OL. Why take a RB in Rd 1 when he wouldn't have anywhere to go, especially when your QB is picking himself out of the dirt every other play.

Cle actually has a workable backfield, and big needs at DT, and WR, which seems like it could line up perfectly for them value wise at 12 and 19 to fill those needs. I think they are very unlikely to take a RB in Rd 1.

Det lost a lot of talent along the DL, and need to replenish that. They could also use OL talent, plus have Bell who is versatile and serviceable.

Ariz I can't argue with. RB is the glaring need on that team. They are a team built on the defense though and I could definitely see them taking Harold or Dupree if he actually falls. IMO this is the most likely team to take a RB before us.

Bal is a wildcard, but I think they end up going CB or WR in the 1st. They are a sleeper team for someone like Perriman or D. Smith. They also have Forsett, who was very effective for them last year. I think they would actually trade out before taking a RB.

All of those teams could easily go a different direction than RB. I would not be shocked if both Gordon and Gurley are on the board at 27. I also wouldn't be shocked if Gordon is the 1st RB taken because he will be ready game 1, baring an injury before the season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that list is a little long and every one of them except Arizona has at least an equal need as RB and most a bigger need.

SF has Hyde and needs LB, DL and CB help. I think they choose to go a different direction than RB.

SD has an absolutely atrocious OL. Why take a RB in Rd 1 when he wouldn't have anywhere to go, especially when your QB is picking himself out of the dirt every other play.

Cle actually has a workable backfield, and big needs at DT, and WR, which seems like it could line up perfectly for them value wise at 12 and 19 to fill those needs. I think they are very unlikely to take a RB in Rd 1.

Det lost a lot of talent along the DL, and need to replenish that. They could also use OL talent, plus have Bell who is versatile and serviceable.

Ariz I can't argue with. RB is the glaring need on that team. They are a team built on the defense though and I could definitely see them taking Harold or Dupree if he actually falls. IMO this is the most likely team to take a RB before us.

Bal is a wildcard, but I think they end up going CB or WR in the 1st. They are a sleeper team for someone like Perriman or D. Smith. They also have Forsett, who was very effective for them last year. I think they would actually trade out before taking a RB.

All of those teams could easily go a different direction than RB. I would not be shocked if both Gordon and Gurley are on the board at 27. I also wouldn't be shocked if Gordon is the 1st RB taken because he will be ready game 1, baring an injury before the season.

I would be shocked if both backs were there at #27... very shocked.

JBS

Reaction score
I really don't understand all the smokescreen accusations. Usually when Jerry speaks about a draft prospect, the team has some interest in the player and they have him rated high. There is a big difference between media generated rumors and smokescreens. In the past few years these so-called smokescreens are nothing more than the media taking a comment and overblowing it. It is not some top secret plan by the team to leak information. Some fans think the draft has some type of CIA secretive plans of deception. The process leading up to the draft is not that complicated.

It's simple...any time fans hear something they don't like in regards to the draft, it's a smokescreen

Same thing when we are reportedly interested in a FA...IF the fans don't like said player, it's always the agents using dallas' big name to drive up the bidding

Don't get me started on the biased refs that are against us

Or espn trying to drive up ratings by talking smack about us...I mean heck, there's an excuse around here for everything

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I would be shocked if both backs were there at #27... very shocked.

I think it's unlikely unless Ariz trades for AP, but i wouldn't be shocked. All teams see the depth at RB and the reality is it's easier to find a starting RB in rd 2 than almost any other player.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's unlikely unless Ariz trades for AP, but i wouldn't be shocked. All teams see the depth at RB and the reality is it's easier to find a starting RB in rd 2 than almost any other player.

I don't disagree with the nice depth at RB in round 2.

Spectre

Reaction score
How do we know they are going to be gone? Every year there are RB needy teams that don't take them in the 1st.. Pittsburgh with Bell and Dallas with Murray to name a few... Gurley might not be available in the beginning of the year ... And Gordon takes the most likely to be a bust award... Wisconsin is famous for pumping out average RB's...ask Ball in Denver...

I think they'll both be picked in the 1st round. I don't think Gordon is most likely to bust- he can play. Of course that's all affected by what kind of team/scheme/talent he ends up with. He's not as average as Ball.