Rumor: Cowboys tried Trading up for WR

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So you only want to draft linemen and they can only be in first
We could have gotten a guard in the second
We wouldn’t have got all the guys we did but if a top 2-3 player falls to the middle of the round then you have to consider going a getting them
By that thinking had Thibidaux fell to 14-15 you woull lol don’t have went and got him?
WR is quickly becoming a very expensive position

We couldnt scrape on the O-Line....and it's the all round improvement of the roster that makes the difference....if we did draft Thibodeaux at 14 it would have cost 2nd and 3rd rd picks so would have to judge his worth against Smith/Talbot and Williams. If youre one player away then fine, but we arent.

Our board said we were high on the O-Liners, then its sensible to draft them.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Why?
If an elite WR slides down to the middle of the round it’s not so dumb to go get him when you consider the FA cost of a WR these days

Spending 3 out of 4 first round picks on WR, after just cutting a quality starter at WR, and when your offensive line can’t block, can’t run the ball and your defensive line can’t stop the run

That’s awful team building strategy.

conner01

Reaction score
Spending 3 out of 4 first round picks on WR, after just cutting a quality starter at WR, and when your offensive line can’t block, can’t run the ball and your defensive line can’t stop the run

That’s awful team building strategy.
It’s about acquiring the best players that you have a need for
We needed a WR unless you think Noah brown should be our 3 and we needed a guard. There was still good guard prospects in the second but not top 2-3 player. And would you feel that way if Thibidaux or who ever you think was the top 2-3 edge rushers fell to the middle of the round
When you have a top player fall in a position you need anyway it’s crazy not to consider it
They didn’t do it but it would be nuts not to consider it

conner01

Reaction score
We couldnt scrape on the O-Line....and it's the all round improvement of the roster that makes the difference....if we did draft Thibodeaux at 14 it would have cost 2nd and 3rd rd picks so would have to judge his worth against Smith/Talbot and Williams. If youre one player away then fine, but we arent.

Our board said we were high on the O-Liners, then its sensible to draft them.
I would take what we got over what we could have gotten by trading up. That’s why I said before the draft I wouldn’t trade up in the first round. But as a team you have to consider all your options. Plenty of teams did go up to get players and they thought it was the right move. My point is in the draft room you have to consider all your options and that’s what they did. They didn’t trade and I think that was the right move but you still consider everything and maybe even explore the possibility
Same with trading down
I’m sure we looked at trade down options too but we didn’t do that either but you have to look at all your options

HungryLion

Reaction score
It’s about acquiring the best players that you have a need for
We needed a WR unless you think Noah brown should be our 3 and we needed a guard. There was still good guard prospects in the second but not top 2-3 player. And would you feel that way if Thibidaux or who ever you think was the top 2-3 edge rushers fell to the middle of the round
When you have a top player fall in a position you need anyway it’s crazy not to consider it
They didn’t do it but it would be nuts not to consider it

Nah. It’s dumb team building.

Trade a quality starter for peanuts to “save cap space”

then use a first rounder plus additional picks to draft their replacement? A player who may or may not even be good in the NFL?

Stupidity

Doomsday101

Reaction score

cut a quality starter to “save cap space”

then use a first rounder plus additional picks to draft their replacement? A player who may or may not even be good in the NFL?

Stupidity

Yet Dallas did not do that, evidently the cost of moving up was too high and they stuck to their guns and stayed put drafting an OL player. So the complaint it what they may have done? could have done?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yet Dallas did not do that, evidently the cost of moving up was too high and they stuck to their guns and stayed put drafting an OL player. So the complaint it what they may have done? could have done?

Read my original post.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Read my original post.

If it were true? right? well it did not happen, Jerry could have done that if that is what they wanted instead what did they do? Your blasting them for something they did not do.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If it were true? right? well it did not happen, Jerry could have done that if that is what they wanted instead what did they do? Your blasting them for something they did not do.

If they even thought it was a good idea. It was dumb.

I’m just pointing out my opinion about their decision making. I’m sorry if my criticizing their decision making upsets you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If they even thought it was a good idea. It was dumb.

I’m just pointing out my opinion about their decision making. I’m sorry if my criticizing their decision making upsets you.

why getting a WR with a rookie deal as oppose to 20 mill a year.? You point out their bad decision making and yet the choice they made was to draft an OL with that pick. To me that make no sense, Complaining over something they did not do?

HungryLion

Reaction score
why getting a WR with a rookie deal as oppose to 20 mill a year.? You point out their bad decision making and yet the choice they made was to draft an OL with that pick. To me that make no sense, Complaining over something they did not do?

Was I really spending a lot of time complaining, or just pointing out that I thought it was a dumb idea?

And yeah. I think saving cap space but then spending a first rounder plus other picks would have been a bad use of resources.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Was I really spending a lot of time complaining, or just pointing out that I thought it was a dumb idea?

And yeah. I think saving cap space but then spending a first rounder plus other picks would have been a bad use of resources.

I'm glad they got a OL player but I would not turn my back on a top player at any position including WR. Cowboys made their choice to go with OL and Tyler Smith.

CWR

Reaction score

But we needed to have balanced the CAP on or about the 16th March. When Coop was traded on the 12th Jerry (for right or wrong) wanted to sign Gregory and the changes to the DLaw contract hadnt been agreed. Also the La'el money doesnt come off the CAP until June.

The whole idea was to rectify the CAP for 22 and 23, if we did a Cleveland restructure then in 2023 we would pay Coop a $23m contract .....or $15m Dead Money.

The decision was alot more complex than you're making out.

Are you knowledgeable enough about our cap circumstances to explain where we stand the next 2 seasons, or are you giving me the company line? I've seen it, and it does not appear dire, nor does it reflect all of the manipulations at our disposal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Multiple teams were looking at Tyler Smith in the 1st. No way the Cowboys get him in the 2nd.
But no one took him cause he wasn’t on most mocks in 1st round .

And after Lindebaum a Center was taken at 26 and Pats took Strange a G at 29 there wasn’t another OL taken until 51st well into the 2nd round . So , it’s very possible as I suggested we could have moved up in 2nd round to get him.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Are you knowledgeable enough about our cap circumstances to explain where we stand the next 2 seasons, or are you giving me the company line? I've seen it, and it does not appear dire, nor does it reflect all of the manipulations at our disposal.

Knowledgeable enough to comment that we can't include La'el money until June and so we had to balance the CAP on about the 16th March. The discussion we were having is that in reality when Coop was traded we had no indication that DLaw was going to accept the new contract and we were expecting to sign Gregory.....AT THE TIME, not now.

If we'd signed Coop and Gregory to the contracts they eventually signed. then in 2023 we'd owe them a best case scenario of $24m (and that's if we cut Coop.

That's a deficit of $25m.

CWR

Reaction score
Knowledgeable enough to comment that we can't include La'el money until June and so we had to balance the CAP on about the 16th March. The discussion we were having is that in reality when Coop was traded we had no indication that DLaw was going to accept the new contract and we were expecting to sign Gregory.....AT THE TIME, not now.

If we'd signed Coop and Gregory to the contracts they eventually signed. then in 2023 we'd owe them a best case scenario of $24m (and that's if we cut Coop.

That's a deficit of $25m.

That's a lot of "ifs." We could've also restructured Coop and saved 15 million towards 2022. We are I believe 11 million under cap currently for 2023. That is without any restructures or cuts. 2024 we are ridiculously under the cap, however that statement alone lacks context because you have to know who is due a contract and who we will want to part ways with.

My point is if you're going to parrot the hard up against the cap narrative, you have to do a lot of homework.

There was only one guy on this board who could undoubtedly be trusted with his knowledge of the cap, AdamJT. Rumor had it he had a league job, sounds far fetched, but he was money with the cap.

So again, I'll argue if we wanted to keep Coop we could have. I'm not against releasing him because he wasn't of value based on his pay, but again, we are lacking context. It's hard to perform to your salary as a WR when you are 32nd in the league in targets.

Two things bothered me about losing Coop. First, we telegraphed his release, and our compensation was terrible. I can't believe most GMs wouldn't want Coop over Hollywood Brown, for example.

Secondly, I don't see the plan moving forward. I initially thought it signified a return to pounding the ball. Then, we re-signed a no blocking TE and appeared content at RB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's a lot of "ifs." We could've also restructured Coop and saved 15 million towards 2022. We are I believe 11 million under cap currently for 2023. That is without any restructures or cuts. 2024 we are ridiculously under the cap, however that statement alone lacks context because you have to know who is due a contract and who we will want to part ways with.

My point is if you're going to parrot the hard up against the cap narrative, you have to do a lot of homework.

There was only one guy on this board who could undoubtedly be trusted with his knowledge of the cap, AdamJT. Rumor had it he had a league job, sounds far fetched, but he was money with the cap.

So again, I'll argue if we wanted to keep Coop we could have. I'm not against releasing him because he wasn't of value based on his pay, but again, we are lacking context. It's hard to perform to your salary as a WR when you are 32nd in the league in targets.

Two things bothered me about losing Coop. First, we telegraphed his release, and our compensation was terrible. I can't believe most GMs wouldn't want Coop over Hollywood Brown, for example.

Secondly, I don't see the plan moving forward. I initially thought it signified a return to pounding the ball. Then, we re-signed a no blocking TE and appeared content at RB.

AT THE TIME, not now, not 2023 or 2024. At the time of the Coop decision. You are not taking into account the position AT THE TIME OF THE COOP trade. You are aware that you have to balance the CAP at the beginning of the league year which was ......3/16/22.

My whole point is and I make it again, we were expecting to sign Gregory and DLAW hadnt changed contracts and so the Coop situation was getting pretty precarious, and taking that into account that was the position when Coop was traded .....everything else is an 'if' and seen in hindsight.

There is an issue (in 2023) if we'd signed Coop / Gregory (as the contracts GUARANTEE at least $24m in 2023) but my point is what happened at the time of the trade.

CWR

Reaction score
AT THE TIME, not now, not 2023 or 2024. At the time of the Coop decision. You are not taking into account the position AT THE TIME OF THE COOP trade. You are aware that you have to balance the CAP at the beginning of the league year which was ......3/16/22.

My whole point is and I make it again, we were expecting to sign Gregory and DLAW hadnt changed contracts and so the Coop situation was getting pretty precarious, and taking that into account that was the position when Coop was traded .....everything else is an 'if' and seen in hindsight.

There is an issue (in 2023) if we'd signed Coop / Gregory (as the contracts GUARANTEE at least $24m in 2023) but my point is what happened at the time of the trade.

At the beginning of the off season we could have restructured all of (and this is off the top of my head) Tyron, Dlaw, Coop, Martin and I believe there was one other (not Zeke.) All of the guys looked worth keeping for at least the next couple years. Anyway, those restructures would have put us somewhere under 20 million for this season.

There are far too many mechanisms available to allow the FO to use cap as an excuse. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Besides that, if Gregory wanted to actually stay, they could've simply had him agree to a verbal and signed him after more maneuvering. They could have pressed on Dlaws deal as well.

It's blatantly obvious they didn't make certain moves in advance because they never intended on keeping Coop. Trading Coop was not ever a necessity. It was because they didn't value him period.

conner01

Reaction score

Trade a quality starter for peanuts to “save cap space”

Stupidity
Cooper isn’t gone because of talent
There is a reason he’s on his 3rd team
If you get the chance to get one of the top 2-3 players at a very expensive position you have to consider it
Not even considering moving up is stupid
I didn’t want to trade up but if it’s my team I’m looking at all my options