Twitter: Rumor: Dak Turned Down $30m/yr?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No. I am a legitimate fan of BOTH teams. What is hard to understand about that?
X0CK0Hc.png

Right!

kOuqnRl.png

Right!

WHWijAC.png

wrong-answer-animation-gif-8.gif

shabazz

Reaction score
The "Market" hopefully its the fruit market as Dak ain't worth 1 penny over what a back-up QB makes.

Brady gives back millions of dollars to keep his team stacked and our Mr. Mediocre demands even more than he’s worth.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Great...play the season out, franchise #4, draft a QB in the 2nd round of 2020 draft...go from there. Great news from my perspective.

erod

Reaction score
30 mil a year doesn't mean much without context.

What's the signing bonus, amount guaranteed, and fully guaranteed?

True. However, Dak has not responded with a counter offer. That's what is really strange. He's dumb not get this locked up now if Stephen is willing.

I genuinely hope that Stephen purposefully offered what he KNEW Dak would refuse, just so the Cowboys could get one last look for cheap.

I would much rather pay Dak $40 million per year after this season than $30 million per year now. If he has a great season, then back up the Brinks truck.

We need another season to determine if he's improving, or if this is just as good as he'll ever be.

You don't pay $30 million per year to a guy who is in the 18-20 range at quarterback in the league.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly. People get caught up in the annual salary, but there are other details that are just as important if not more so. For example, is a $32MM/yr contract really better than a $30MM/yr contract if the guaranteed portion and/or the up front signing bonus is substantially less?

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I love how all these rumors just get leaked to the media.

Exactly right.

Leaks are always done for leverage or to send a message without an official comment.

This has CAA (his agent) written all over it.

“Hey Jerry - ummm...that’s not our number.”

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. However, Dak has not responded with a counter offer. That's what is really strange. He's dumb not get this locked up now if Stephen is willing.

I genuinely hope that Stephen purposefully offered what he KNEW Dak would refuse, just so the Cowboys could get one last look for cheap.

I would much rather pay Dak $40 million per year after this season than $30 million per year now. If he has a great season, then back up the Brinks truck.

We need another season to determine if he's improving, or if this is just as good as he'll ever be.

You don't pay $30 million per year to a guy who is in the 18-20 range at quarterback in the league.

The way these contracts generally work is as an extension, therefore Dak would play out this year under his current contract, augmented of course by the upfront signing bonus amount, and the team wouldn't start paying the new annual salary until next year.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New contract details: total years, when it starts, practical guarantee/total dollars, signing bonus, and current salary. Lots of variables that do not equate to face value of the new contract only. I do not pretend to understand it all, but my reckoning, Wentz is getting less than $32MM - according to Adam Adam Schefter, Wentz's total contract is at six years and $154 million = almost $26MM/annum. Not sure if roster bonuses are included.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
New contract details: total years, when it starts, practical guarantee/total dollars, signing bonus, and current salary. Lots of variables that do not equate to face value of the new contract only. I do not pretend to understand it all, but my reckoning, Wentz is getting less than $32MM - according to Adam Adam Schefter, Wentz's total contract is at six years and $154 million = almost $26MM/annum. Not sure if roster bonuses are included.

What it boils down to is Wentz's contract extension is at $32MM/year, but his overall contract is not because he still has to play out the remainder of his existing contract. I think that's the part people miss - that the "new contract" doesn't kick in from day one, but rather it is a contract extension that kicks on after the existing contract ends. Of course, some of that extension is paid immediately in the form of a signing bonus.

coult44

Reaction score

Wrong... Carson Wentz Signed to a four-year, $128 million extension, with only a $16.3 million signing bonus and $107.9 guaranteed. But over the first four years of the deal, because of his $720,000 base salary for 2019 still in place, the deal comes to $103 million, or an average of $26 million a year. There is $41 million of base salary in the final two seasons that aren’t guaranteed.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I think they need to get the Cooper deal done first. They traded a 1st round pick, which is a premium, for him. Get that done, then Dak during the season, then Elliot before next season. If he does not report, so be it.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

Facts............................................ In my Cuba Gooding Jr voice.....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
What it boils down to is Wentz's contract extension is at $32MM/year, but his overall contract is not because he still has to play out the remainder of his existing contract. I think that's the part people miss - that the "new contract" doesn't kick in from day one, but rather it is a contract extension that kicks on after the existing contract ends. Of course, some of that extension is paid immediately in the form of a signing bonus.

Exactly, it's actually a solid deal for both sides given his injury history. Eagles are basically buying low on Wentz and rolling the dice that his health improves. Dak has a legitimate argument to get paid more than Wentz seeing how Wentz has yet to play in the postseason and Dak has had three playoff games where he's played well. If the Cowboys refuse to give him that then it makes sense for Dak to bet on himself this year. If Kellen Moore is the offensive guru the way people depict him then Dak could have a great year and be in line to get more than $32 million a year.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would assume the same principle applies to Dak as well. When these contract extensions are posted in rumor form, it comes off as click bait because details are not announced. Yellow journalism. :popcorn: