Twitter: Rumor: Dak Turned Down $30m/yr?

Altestic

Reaction score
Do you go on the Eagles board and claim to be a Cowboy Fan?
No. But I do express my like for certain Cowboy players, especially the LBs and OL and D Lawrence and lately, Cooper. I laugh with them about the Joneses and Dak, though.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
No. But I do express my like for certain Cowboy players, especially the LBs and OL and D Lawrence and lately, Cooper. I laugh with them about the Joneses and Dak, though.
Not the same thing. lol Go on there and say I'm a Cowboys/Eagles fan and see the reaction. lol

Proof

Reaction score
Several things to keep in mind ...

1. The player at 96 on the list got a $32MM/year contract.
2. QBs just get paid more than other positions, so rankings with all positions doesn't really apply.
3. Supply and demand is a factor with QBs. There aren't enough quality QB's to fill 32 teams, and a ranking of all players does not consider that.
4. Several QBs that are in the top 100 would get bigger contracts than Dak is looking at if they were negotiating today.

I’m not sure how this applies to what I’m saying. I hate when new money contracts or extensions rather, are talked about arbitrarily in terms of avg including the remaining years. Wentz signed an extension worth 32 million a year. That’s how it should be referenced

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure how this applies to what I’m saying. I hate when new money contracts or extensions rather, are talked about arbitrarily in terms of avg including the remaining years. Wentz signed an extension worth 32 million a year. That’s how it should be referenced

It doesn't - I accidentally quoted the wrong post. Sorry about that. I'll repost quoting the right one ...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any guesses where this rumor originated? My guess, the same person that was the reliable source and source for that mystery video of Bryant in a parking lot.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems a little steep for a dude that couldnt even break the NFL top 100. Im a fan of Dak, but right now hes not a top 5. Top 10 though...not top 5. So Dallas will once again have a couple of top paid players surrounded by a bunch of scrubs because they couldn't afford all the other good players due to lucrative payouts to just a couple.

Several things to keep in mind ...

1. The player at 96 on the list got a $32MM/year contract.
2. QBs just get paid more than other positions, so rankings with all positions doesn't really apply.
3. Supply and demand is a factor with QBs. There aren't enough quality QB's to fill 32 teams, and a ranking of all players does not consider that.
4. Several QBs that are in the top 100 would get bigger contracts than Dak is looking at if they were negotiating today.

Redline360

Reaction score
I am kind of glad he turned down the offer. This can massively back fire in his face.

Let him play out this season and see how he does. Plays like a top 10 quarterback sure why not since the market is going that way. If he still continues to struggle with foot work, accuracy, and holding the ball to long release him or remake an offer

jaythecowboy

Reaction score

32 million in two years is different than 32 million right now. Using the average adds some needed context. It isn't arbitrary. In fact, the money remaining on the current deal is factored into these negotiations.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Exactly right. This is all talking heads and agent speak. It's an extension and it's a damn good one for Philly. If you look at that contract, as it exists today, I'd sign Dak to that deal right now. People hear what they want to hear I guess.

Proof

Reaction score
32 million in two years is different than 32 million right now. Using the average adds some needed context. It isn't arbitrary. In fact, the money remaining on the current deal is factored into these negotiations.

It is arbitrary when comparing new deals.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
It is arbitrary when comparing new deals.

It's not arbitrary. The fact that Dak has one year on his deal where he is making next to nothing is different than Carson Wentz who still has two years left on his deal for much more money. You can't just compare averages. By the time Wentz hits his $32 million deal in two years the percentage of the cap will be a lot lower than it is today.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
$40 million is Dak's starting point and hopefully they meet in the middle around $35-$36 million which on a 4-year extension would average out just barely over what Cousins got two years ago.

John813

Reaction score
$40 million is Dak's starting point and hopefully they meet in the middle around $35-$36 million which would average out just barely over what Cousins got two years ago.

Cousins got 28mil per, but all guaranteed.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Laughable. Wait until next summer to pay him.

Last edited:

RoyalCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's probably just looking for more guaranteed money. As a former college scout, I can tell you players, most anyway(especially at certain positions), like that guaranteed option alot more than (X per year). Everyone in the media focuses on (X per year), while the players hone in for that guarantee. I can't blame them, NFL careers are short and these guys sacrifice their bodies for our entertainment at the end of the day. (College players do it without pay). They probably didn't offer him alot in guaranteed so Dak/the agent is trying to re-negotiate. There's more to sports contracts than (X Mil per year.) Just original Dallas Cowboy click bait as usual.