Twitter: Rumor: Dak Turned Down $30m/yr?

Birdgang

Reaction score
Why would he take 30.. we know wentz got 32.. Dak will cost 32.5. Elliot will take 15 or maybe 14.5.. Get real guys this is what the apparent worth is.. Agree with it or not..

You guys need to look a bit deeper into the Wentz deal and not just headlines. His new contract does not kick in until 2021 ... so really in 2 years 32 a year will be not even top 10 money. Wentz is now signed through 2024 season, Its really a different deal then I think anyone has seen in past.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No idea, all I know is that he is not worth that kind of money IMO. None of them are but whatever.
:clap:That's for sure. None are, but that's show business.
Some gung-ho agent somewhere along the line made some grandiose promise to some desperate owner about winning the super bowl if they pony up the big bucks, and it was off to the races after that! Have to wonder when the bank breaks.

HungryLion

Reaction score
You guys need to look a bit deeper into the Wentz deal and not just headlines. His new contract does not kick in until 2021 ... so really in 2 years 32 a year will be not even top 10 money. Wentz is now signed through 2024 season, Its really a different deal then I think anyone has seen in past.

This is true.

But the actual details of contracts like you posted are also why It’s over the top for fans to criticize Dak for “reportedly” turning down 30 mil a year. Without having any idea about what the length of the contract or the guarantees are.

40 million a year base values 5 years from now are meaningless in a contract once the guaranteed money is over with.

I have never seen this much angst over a contract that hasn’t even been signed yet when people have no idea what the final deal will truly be, taking bonuses and guarantees into consideration

Last edited:

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
Totally agree, we have nothing to gain by signing him right now. If he has a season similar to last season and is still the same QB, we might want to start looking for a replacement anyway.
Exactly. He is the one that has everything to gain. What if he gets hurt? What if he, like you said, has a similar season or regresses? Look I love Dak and I believe he is a franchise QB. I'm just not ready for Dallas to commit long-term, especially when you are talking guaranteed money.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

You need to actually click on the link instead of just reading the title. The info was right there in my post that you quoted, but didn't read.

https://overthecap.com/player/carson-wentz/4715/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-18950/

4 years/$128 million. That's $32 million/year

CB61

Reaction score
He should have signed that faster than they could have got the pen out? I don't even think he's worth that much money he should have taken that and ran how much money do you need to live in this world supposedly he's a down-to-earth guy? Maybe the person who got bit by his dog is suing him? I don't know but I think he's crazy and I think they're crazy for offering that kind of money

CB61

Reaction score
He should have signed that faster than they could have got the pen out? I don't even think he's worth that much money he should have taken that and ran how much money do you need to live in this world supposedly he's a down-to-earth guy? Maybe the person who got bit by his dog is suing him? I don't know but I think he's crazy and I think they're crazy for offering that kind of money
Before all the Prescott lovers come after me I don't think anybody's worth that kind of money just so we're upfront about that I have nothing to gain by hating him he is our quarterback but he's just not worth that money

CB61

Reaction score
That's just unfathomable Bowl to see him making that much money he's a good quarterback don't get me wrong he has a lot to learn yet but he also has a lot to prove before he deserves that kind of money Matt Ryan from Atlanta didn't get that money that quick he won and went to a Superbowl before he got that money

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

This, he is making under a million now and they are throwing 30M at you and you are not a top 10 QB? You guys would have heard me laughing from Texas signing on the dotted line.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I agree with all of this but I also think it's pretty easy to see that the Cowboys probably aren't offering a crappy deal to Dak. The teams interest is to lock him up long term. I don't believe they would draw up anything that didn't give him really good guaranteed money or create a deal that was reliant on a lot of incentives to get paid. They have to know that he would not appreciate that so if you are offering a deal, I just don't see Jerry going that route. Now, I don't know for sure, I haven't seen any details but I have watched Jerry for awhile and seems to me like it would be unlikely.

JMO

Oh, I agree its probably not a crappy deal but unless we know the details, its hard to say if we as fans should criticize Dak for not signing it.

I say we as fans because we have our own biases as to what players are worth relative to how we think it impacts the cap. I thought what Cousins, Alex Smith, Garapolo(sp?) Got paid was unbelievable, but in the end, it was what the market determined as fair market and I can appreciate that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Oh, I agree its probably not a crappy deal but unless we know the details, its hard to say if we as fans should criticize Dak for not signing it.

I say we as fans because we have our own biases as to what players are worth relative to how we think it impacts the cap. I thought what Cousins, Alex Smith, Garapolo(sp?) Got paid was unbelievable, but in the end, it was what the market determined as fair market and I can appreciate that.

But see, that's just it. If you actually look at those contracts, they aren't very good. They are exactly what you are talking about, in terms of not knowing what's in them. They are really bad contracts IMO. If we paid Dak like they got paid, we would kinda be screwing Dak. So I don't really think we might want to be pointing to those deals and thinking that those are what the market dictates. That's just my opinion.