Rumor: Dallas Cowboys To Reportedly Offer Dak Prescott Same 5-Year $175 Million Deal He Turned Down

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This thread is a lesson in how most people are too lazy to do their own research before biting hook line and sinker for any BS someone tells them.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
This thread is a lesson in how most people are too lazy to do their own research before biting hook line and sinker for any BS someone tells them.
yeah call them trolls dad, and remind them that Jimmy would take Rodgers and Stafford over the gimp.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Actually, I think it's more like how is Dak covered if Year 5 is voidable by the team?
Why would he accept that BS?

That's pure smoke and mirrors not to benefit him in any way.

Well, Dak and his agent really only want 3 or 4 years so that would actually play right into their plans, so far as I can see.

The thing I don't get is how it covers the team. I mean, that's still a large percentage of cap that they have to account for and they don't get the years they want. I don't really understand it but it's OK. At this point, it's a whatever thing.

JBS

Reaction score
Once the cap is established, I expect this to go quickly, get him signed with a new deal and for them to move on to other players. I do not see them tagging him again.

It's basically a given that dak will be tagged..there is no way he isn't tagged..whether they come to an agreement quickly after that is a different story

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Well, Dak and his agent really only want 3 or 4 years so that would actually play right into their plans, so far as I can see.

The thing I don't get is how it covers the team. I mean, that's still a large percentage of cap that they have to account for and they don't get the years they want. I don't really understand it but it's OK. At this point, it's a whatever thing.
Yeah. You're right. I thought about it all wrong.
My biggy bad.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
I would take some money off the table. This whole draft was a bust and two teams have already resigned their qbs only to regret it.

Verdict

Reaction score
How is the team covered?
In that event the team get the SB prorated over 5 years. If Dak is cut 1/5 of the SB hit in year 5 as dead money if Dak is cut. If Dak plays out his contract he is worth the 45 m in the last year or he is gone.

Verdict

Reaction score

If the final year is voidable, then if Dak is not worth the $45M they cut him. But the SB still gets divided over 5 years which was the hangup before.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
In that event the team get the SB prorated over 5 years. If Dak is cut 1/5 of the SB hit in year 5 as dead money if Dak is cut. If Dak plays out his contract he is worth the 45 m in the last year or he is gone.

But that doesn't help the cap. That only creates a situation where you are spending cap on a player that is no longer there. How does that help?

RichmondFan

Reaction score
they won't/don't pursue top f/a's regardless if Dak is signed,franchised,signs elsewhere or traded.
Well, they need to change their philosophy/strategy. Quality and quantity on the defensive side of F/A is essential to contend for a super bowl. How many mediocre teams do they want to field before they wise up? Remember the Eagles SB team? Lot's of defensive free agents! The Rams when they went as well! And KC now has several defensive F/As, 2 of them former Cowboys! The cap is just gonna be too small to pay Dak $35MM. They simply won't get much better than 11-5 at best healthy or not with the current roster plus a drafted rookie or 2.!

Verdict

Reaction score
But that doesn't help the cap. That only creates a situation where you are spending cap on a player that is no longer there. How does that help?
It assists the team in spreading out the SB over 5 years instead of 4. You would pay Dak the same money for 4 years but it would be divided, in part, over 5 years, even if Dak’s 5th year is voided.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's basically a given that dak will be tagged..there is no way he isn't tagged..whether they come to an agreement quickly after that is a different story

I don't think so, I think Cowboys would like to avoid the 37 mill hit right off the bat. I do think Franchise tag is an option but I think it is an option both sides would like to avoid.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It assists the team in spreading out the SB over 5 years instead of 4. You would pay Dak the same money for 4 years but it would be divided, in part, over 5 years, even if Dak’s 5th year is voided.

But it doesn't help. You still have to take on salary to replace your qb in that 5th year. That only compounds the problem. It helps Dak, but it doesn't help the team.

Verdict

Reaction score
But it doesn't help. You still have to take on salary to replace your qb in that 5th year. That only compounds the problem. It helps Dak, but it doesn't help the team.

You are one of the better posters on this forum. How you can miss the value to the team in that scenario, is hard to wrap my mind around.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So, they need to tag him after this being the longest drawn out contract negotiation in the history of the NFL?

What would tagging him do, except for one thing, trading him? Tagging a player a second time can get dicey and this team needs stability because of they use that tag and do not come to a long term deal, this is his last year as a Cowboy and every coach and player on that team will know it.

They need more time to negotiate? Patently absurd, they've been doing that for two years.

Tag him to wait and see about him passing the physical? Might make sense and might piss him off enough to jack the price up. He's the first star I can recall getting injured like that in a tag year, the single most critical drawback to a tag form the agent/player's perspective.

The real question is where is Prescott's head at about the guarantee and term of the offer? If he was stuck on a 4 year last time, is that now a 3 year and he's counting the tag year as a year?

The minute the gate opens, other teams can negotiate with their QB's like Allen and Jackson. Think they'll want less than Watson got? The Cowboys tag him and try and work out a deal, the clock is running and France has already shown he is responsive to positive actions for his player. He proved that when Prescott started out 3-0 in 2019.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Well, they need to change their philosophy/strategy. Quality and quantity on the defensive side of F/A is essential to contend for a super bowl. How many mediocre teams do they want to field before they wise up? Remember the Eagles SB team? Lot's of defensive free agents! The Rams when they went as well! And KC now has several defensive F/As, 2 of them former Cowboys! The cap is just gonna be too small to pay Dak $35MM. They simply won't get much better than 11-5 at best healthy or not with the current roster plus a drafted rookie or 2.!
considering the guy who owns it also runs it and isn't going any where...i doubt they change their philosophy regarding spending in free-agency.

kskboys

Reaction score
The longer the contract, the better for the team. (Unless the player busts, of course).

Mahomes average the first 4-5 years of his contract is around 30 mil. That is why it's a team friendly deal. The average of the complete deal is almost irrelevant. In year 5-6, the money will be kicked down the road so the team can acquire players to hopefully continue to compete. Very good deal for both sides.

In a shorter deal, this isn't possible, which screws the team good. If Dak wants a 4 year deal, he should be willing to take less so we at least have a shot at putting a team around him.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it's very likely that the Cowboys will sign Dak to another franchise tag, then sign him to a new contract before the July deadline.:thumbup:

With that in mind, be prepared for another, seemingly endless, round of negotiations. Our FO isn't too disposed to settle things expeditiously!

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You are one of the better posters on this forum. How you can miss the value to the team in that scenario, is hard to wrap my mind around.

Thank you but the question still stands. How does this help the team? Yes, they can spread things out over 5 years, perhaps, but they would be forced to take on a new contract/cost for a new QB that fifth year. Basically pay dead cap against a player who is gone at a premium salary cost and take on more cost against the cap to bring in another QB. How does this help the cap?

Bigdog

Reaction score
This thread reminds me of the one hit wonder song Rumors by group the Timex Social Club.