Rumor: Dallas Cowboys To Reportedly Offer Dak Prescott Same 5-Year $175 Million Deal He Turned Down

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It seems like the Dallas Cowboys and Dak Prescott are going to restart their contract negotiations where they left off last season.

Last year NFL analyst Chris Simms reported that Dak was offered a 5-year $175 million deal from the Cowboys and he turned it down because he wanted a shorter contract than a 5-year deal.

Via 1053 The Fan

From what I know of the situation, and I know from some people who are in the know that he’s been offered five years, $175 million,” “He wants a four-year deal. If they do agree to a five-year deal they would like a really big number at the end of that fifth year to cover their butts for what the market might be at the position five years from now. And I’ve heard he’s asking for somewhere like north of $45 million in that fifth year.”

On Monday morning, NFL insider Dan Sileo claims the Cowboys are ready to offer Prescott the same 5-year $175 million deal he turned down last year.

I'm being told the .@cowboys will offer @dak 5 years $175
https://brobible.com/sports/article/dallas-cowboys-dak-prescott-contract/

When we hear or read " a source" or "people in the know" it's sportswriters license to speculate what they want. When a sportswriter quotes his source then it can be believed. Stephen when in the past was asked about negotiations he has been quoted as saying I won't get into any particulars because I don't negotiate through the media,. this is why they use "a source" or "people in the know" so what they say some will believe it as actually factual when it's speculation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know that anybody is arguing that Dak will not be tagged. To me, the real question is what Tag will be applied? Will it be Exclusive or None Exclusive?

I guess I'm one, while I think the franchise tag is an option I think both sides will come to some agreement on a longer term deal.

starfan1

Reaction score
I never understand the windows fans put on things. There was supposed to be a window that was ending with Romo and Witten, but a window did not close. The team kept it open with Dak, Zeke and others. Why is there now no chance of keeping the window open with other drafts and acquisitions? It's not as if whatever roster is in place to start the 2021 season is written in stone for the next 2-3 years.
That’s a fair question the team got lucky with the 2016 draft they kept going a window with Romo and Witten so yes in theory they could keep it open with good drafts

realistically speaking football is a young persons game and the next couple years is when this group of folks are going to start aging out.

Zeke already looks there as does the line but you’re right we could hit on draft again

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, that's exactly what they're arguing. That he won't be tagged
This isn't exactly accurate. I think everyone agrees the tag may happen. The discussion is really on whether there is a chance they work out something before the tag gets applied, or if they parties absolutely plan to not work out anything before then.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I'm one, while I think the franchise tag is an option I think both sides will come to some agreement on a longer term deal.
Remember, getting tagged doesn't mean he will play under the tag or that they won't reach that agreement. The deadline to tag a player is in March, which is what the team will do to preserve his rights if they don't have a deal worked out by then, but they can still work out a long term deal until some point in July.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Certainly possible. I just don't believe in his agent. That guy, in my opinion, is a jackwagon.

I agree Todd France has other clients whom have ended up with Franchise tags as opposed to cutting a deal. I just think when push comes to shove that Dallas will get a deal worked out. If they use the tag this year it is 37 mill and if forced to go another tag the following year I saw it was 52 mill that will not happen. Jerry may end up doing more than he wants but I think a deal is done longer term. One other optimistic view point, I think it gets done relatively soon because I don't think Dallas will wait on Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield deal beat them to the punch, in doing so the price tag likely will go higher.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know who, specifically is arguing what. I'm just saying that most fans that I've seen discuss this aren't arguing that point. In fact, that was never the argument surrounding Dak. Now, if you've found the odd poster here or there that is, that's fine but it's not the fan bases' position by any stretch.
Raising hand in the odd corner. I do not think he will be tagged as I believe they have already agreed in principle to a new contract. That deadline running out last year is the clue.

If they non exclusive tag him, they want the picks because he's gone. Using that tag after the exclusive is an insult. If they use a tag, it will be the exclusive for 37.5M and if they do, that diminishes their ability to get anything done long term. Using the tag last time removed any leverage the team had. Paying a player going from a 2.7M 4 year contract to a 31.4M 1 year deal put all the leverage on his side. Do that again and it's the same thing, only he will know he's free in 2022 to make his own deal and he sees the deals being made.

In this forum, many might have been angry at Prescott but on the outside, that anger was aimed at Booger for not getting it done. He wants to be loved. He also doesn't want to take a chance on another QB, they're 2-0 against Lady Luck with QB's.

And it's OK to call me odd. I got called an odd mod in my own thread.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree Todd France has other clients whom have ended up with Franchise tags as opposed to cutting a deal. I just think when push comes to shove that Dallas will get a deal worked out. If they use the tag this year it is 37 mill and if forced to go another tag the following year I saw it was 52 mill that will not happen. Jerry may end up doing more than he wants but I think a deal is done longer term. One other optimistic view point, I think it gets done relatively soon because I don't think Dallas will wait on Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield deal beat them to the punch, in doing so the price tag likely will go higher.
Or Josh Allen. There are some deals that are going above Watson's at 39M. And France has shown the tendency to rapidly act on the market shift on positions.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That tag serves teams that are beginning negotiations, this has been on going for two years.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I believe it's closer to 38, maybe 37.7 to be exact.

Dak and France have ever only wanted to get to FA. Everything they've done over the last several years has pointed to that IMO. I don't think this is really on the team, to be honest. I think that those two have never ever wanted to get locked into a deal before they had leverage. I think that Jerry and the team have offered really good deals to Dak and he's turned them all down. I think this is all about France because as I watch this, this is following the pattern I've seen him use many times over. TBH, I don't expect Dak to be in Dallas more then a year. If he is, I think it will be very bad for the team and the fan base because it will mean that Jerry has given in and that will mean that they got everything including the kitchen sink. This is not a personal thing about Dak for me. This is a personal think over France for me. I do not like the way he does business and I would not do business with him, if it were up to me. But it's not so there you go.

Gotta tell you Dooms, you have a lot more faith in this then I do. That's a good thing cause I don't trust that snake oil peddler as far as I can throw him underhanded. I don't like that guy, at all.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Certainly possible. I just don't believe in his agent. That guy, in my opinion, is a jackwagon.
If I were a star player, and what other kind of player would I be, he could be my jackwagon. I don't see his players leaving him and he's a hardline player. They're comfortable to play the tag game.

Most agents don't have the cajones to not return GM calls on offers. He also realizes what he's dealing with the Cowboys. The most round heeled father and son act under the big top.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Raising hand in the odd corner. I do not think he will be tagged as I believe they have already agreed in principle to a new contract. That deadline running out last year is the clue.

If they non exclusive tag him, they want the picks because he's gone. Using that tag after the exclusive is an insult. If they use a tag, it will be the exclusive for 37.5M and if they do, that diminishes their ability to get anything done long term. Using the tag last time removed any leverage the team had. Paying a player going from a 2.7M 4 year contract to a 31.4M 1 year deal put all the leverage on his side. Do that again and it's the same thing, only he will know he's free in 2022 to make his own deal and he sees the deals being made.

In this forum, many might have been angry at Prescott but on the outside, that anger was aimed at Booger for not getting it done. He wants to be loved. He also doesn't want to take a chance on another QB, they're 2-0 against Lady Luck with QB's.

And it's OK to call me odd. I got called an odd mod in my own thread.

Nothing, to me, points to this, to be honest Coach. I mean, any agent who could get caught not being ready or prepared to do a deal at the last minute when a deal has been on the table for months, is either not worth a spit or is not looking after his client and rather, looking after his own best interest. So when CCA and France went there own separate ways, Dak had every opportunity to cut France lose and he would have been well within his rights to do so. Would even have been smart, to be honest. But he didn't. He stuck with France and that says something IMO.

I don't for a second believe this is on the Cowboys. The Cowboys came up to meet contract demands 3 different times and every time, the goal post moved. This isn't on the Cowboys IMO. This is a deliberate attempt to get to a point where Dak hits FA.

In fact, the only reason I can think of for not having a deal ready to go, even at the last minute, last year is because France didn't want to sign. Maybe he wanted Dak to hold out because he knew he was leaving CAA but I don't really believe that. It could be the case but I really don't think so. I think France never intended to sign a long term deal in Dallas until he could soak them for a 3 year deal and then either get them to do another record breaking deal in 2 or hit the open market. I think that's why no deal has been done.

JMO

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing, to me, points to this, to be honest Coach. I mean, any agent who could get caught not being ready or prepared to do a deal at the last minute when a deal has been on the table for months, is either not worth a spit or is not looking after his client and rather, looking after his own best interest. So when CCA and France went there own separate ways, Dak had every opportunity to cut France lose and he would have been well within his rights to do so. Would even have been smart, to be honest. But he didn't. He stuck with France and that says something IMO.

I don't for a second believe this is on the Cowboys. The Cowboys came up to meet contract demands 3 different times and every time, the goal post moved. This isn't on the Cowboys IMO. This is a deliberate attempt to get to a point where Dak hits FA.

In fact, the only reason I can think of for not having a deal ready to go, even at the last minute, last year is because France didn't want to sign. Maybe he wanted Dak to hold out because he knew he was leaving CAA but I don't really believe that. It could be the case but I really don't think so. I think France never intended to sign a long term deal in Dallas until he could soak them for a 3 year deal and then either get them to do another record breaking deal in 2 or hit the open market. I think that's why no deal has been done.

JMO
Could be ABQ but it is an assumption that France dropped the ball in the 11th hour as we don't know and he doesn't talk much, like most smart agents.

I do believe the reason a deal did not get done and if he gets tagged, a deal will not get done, is because this is the Joneses, the worst negotiators in the league with star talent. They have yet to prove they won't rollover. So any agent worth his rep better stand his ground because they're the easy pickings.

France also knows they don't have any options at QB. Good luck selling Dalton as QB1 in 2021.

What is Booger's greatest fear regarding Prescott? That he will leave and prove to be a real find at QB and Booger had him with a 4th round pick. Booger has his ego all wound around the team and he knows he would be a laughing stock as a GM if he let Prescott get away and failed to get a QB as good.

We are not the only ones that remember he tried to trade up for Lynch, and was upset the next day he didn't offer enough, and was going to take Cook before they settled on Prescott. How often do you think he thinks about that?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Could be ABQ but it is an assumption that France dropped the ball in the 11th hour as we don't know and he doesn't talk much, like most smart agents.

I do believe the reason a deal did not get done and if he gets tagged, a deal will not get done, is because this is the Joneses, the worst negotiators in the league with star talent. They have yet to prove they won't rollover. So any agent worth his rep better stand his ground because they're the easy pickings.

France also knows they don't have any options at QB. Good luck selling Dalton as QB1 in 2021.

What is Booger's greatest fear regarding Prescott? That he will leave and prove to be a real find at QB and Booger had him with a 4th round pick. Booger has his ego all wound around the team and he knows he would be a laughing stock as a GM if he let Prescott get away and failed to get a QB as good.

We are not the only ones that remember he tried to trade up for Lynch, and was upset the next day he didn't offer enough, and was going to take Cook before they settled on Prescott. How often do you think he thinks about that?

Is it an assumption? I mean, we know that the Cowboys had a deal on the table for months. We know that Dak came to the Cowboys, last minute according to reports and wanted to get the deal done. We know that shortly after that, France left CAA. So where does the fault rest on that one?

As to the Cowboys not having any options at QB, the only reason that is the case is because the Cowboys have not wanted any. They could easily have some if they really wanted some.