Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Dallas needs to pay the man his market value for three reasons:

1. D Law balled out while injured this year and was a good soldier while playing under the tag. He is a top 3 DE right now in the NFL— pay him what he deserves

2. The philosophy the FO has established and communicated is that they want to build through the draft, develop their players, and sign their guys longterm that produce. If they let D Law walk— they lose credibility with players and the result could easily be a loss of trust that the FO will give their productive core players long term security in a very violent sport.

3. They lose further credibility with the fan base. You can’t tell us you will stay out of FA bc you want the cap to sign your best players— and then you let a guy like D Law walk. Fans will question their commitment to winning (more than they already do) and moves like this cement the narrative that the Jones family are only in this for money.

Bottom line: sign D Law for what he is worth. Honor your players when they produce and they will run through a brick wall for you.
Just like everything else in life it all comes down to the price.

Rayman70

Reaction score
if true, this aint happening and he will play under the tag again, or be moved. NO WAY WE KILL OUR CAP on one player.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh please. What a silly argument. There are two options. "

"Oh please" is right. The "silly argument" is yours. From the very beginning.

You keep the guy and worry about another suspension or you let him go. You balked at keeping him because of the suspension issue. That clearly endorses the other option.

Stop resorting to arguments like this when you are wrong.

I didn't "balk" at anything, it's more of your fabrication, as from the very beginning. I said it was and is a factor. But all you're focused on is the money, ignorant of the fact that you wouldn't have the player for the better part of an entire season. I guess you're not quite as smart as you seem to think you are?

Look in the mirror for "wrong" and the guy looking for another senseless arguments who doesn't get along with anybody.

If you took as much time to pay attention and actually see where people stand and less time trying to start fights, you'd do better here.[/QUOTE]

Sydla

Reaction score
And Gregory and Irving. Not the first time you withhold key subjects I previously mentioned.

Irving? LOL. For starters, he's not a full time DE and actually is most effective as the 3T. Two, counting on him to even play in 2019 would be idiotic. Three, he's not nearly as good as a DE as Lawrence.

And Gregory is already a starter. He's not filling an open hole you create by letting Lawrence walk.

You let Lawrence walk, you better have a plan in place beyond, "Hey, it's OK........ we have Irving, Armstrong and Charlton to fill his spot!"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gregory was going up against LTs. They usually dont get the help, thats why its called the weakside while the opposite end is usually the strong side. Gregory was very good.
45 tackles 7 sacks 2FF 1 FR 11 TFL 23 QB hits
Playing fewer snaps than lawrence in 2 fewer games

lawrence 2018
16 games
64 tackles 10.5 sacks 1 FR 1 INT !5 TFL 23 QB hits

Gregory held his own vs Lawrence. And the emergence of Gregory was the reason the defense had success this yr.

I thought Gregory came on down the stretch as well. He had a nice year. But not a #1 guy year, and certainly nothing to where you would count on him as your sole threat at the position. He's still a #2 and always a potential question mark.

Anyone thinking of relying on him and David Irving hasn't been watching football for the past 3 years.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I thought Gregory came on down the stretch as well. He had a nice year. But not a #1 guy year, and certainly nothing to where you would count on him as your sole threat at the position. He's still a #2 and always a potential question mark.

Anyone thinking of relying on him and David Irving hasn't been watching football for the past 3 years.
Gregory has been getting tested every week. The team has given him support and resources to help him. Thats what i love about Jerry, he helps his players when other teams would've abandoned him. I was just like you in my thinking of him, but then i read that espn article they did on him and i read the amount of work he put in to get back on the field. I became a huge fan of his. I dont think he has another relapse

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Irving? LOL. For starters, he's not a full time DE and actually is most effective as the 3T. Two, counting on him to even play in 2019 would be idiotic. Three, he's not nearly as good as a DE as Lawrence.

And Gregory is already a starter. He's not filling an open hole you create by letting Lawrence walk.

You let Lawrence walk, you better have a plan in place beyond, "Hey, it's OK........ we have Irving, Armstrong and Charlton to fill his spot!"
You seriously want to go back to the Romo years?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gregory has been getting tested every week. The team has given him support and resources to help him. Thats what i love about Jerry, he helps his players when other teams would've abandoned him. I was just like you in my thinking of him, but then i read that espn article they did on him and i read the amount of work he put in to get back on the field. I became a huge fan of his. I dont think he has another relapse

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm supportive of him and of his recovery, it's a great thing. But that doesn't mean that the league or anyone else simply forgets what happened and his past struggles. And that includes not suddenly putting all your eggs in that basket of relying on him.

ghst187

Reaction score
I had a 5-year deal for him pegged at exactly $100 million. That's the going rate and the coast of doing business. Compared to the deals for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack, it's a relative "bargain". My issue would be with the "guaranteed money" portion based on his suspension and injury history.

Spot on here. I remember a while back when 100 million deal was a shocker, that seems like eons ago now. 100 million is lower than going rate for a top player these days. Totally agree on everything above Stash. I don’t like that much guaranteed money but fighting over guaranteed money is tons easier than having to also fight over bottom line. Cut that guaranteed money back a ways and replace it with incentives and lets sign a deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spot on here. I remember a while back when 100 million deal was a shocker, that seems like eons ago now. 100 million is lower than going rate for a top player these days. Totally agree on everything above Stash. I don’t like that much guaranteed money but fighting over guaranteed money is tons easier than having to also fight over bottom line. Cut that guaranteed money back a ways and replace it with incentives and lets sign a deal.

Yep. And as I've said, if you won't pay him, there are other teams that gladly will. The Bears gave up two 1st round picks for Mack, and then happily handed him a 6-year, $141 million deal. And everyone says they got a steal. There's one think not in doubt, they went from an irrelevant last place team to a division winner and playoff team in a single season. What's the "price" on that?

If people are truly that upset to read about $100 million deals, they need to step away for a while. When Dak gets his new one, it will certainly eclipse that amount, and Cooper's likely will too.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, I'm supportive of him and of his recovery, it's a great thing. But that doesn't mean that the league or anyone else simply forgets what happened and his past struggles. And that includes not suddenly putting all your eggs in that basket of relying on him.
well Dallas still has two yrs control of him. But id like to see the team do a Barry Church type deal with him

Verdict

Reaction score
Worrying about a suspension? That's just terribly limited thinking. His next suspension would be for 10 games. You get that money back for each week of the suspension.

Not seeing the logic there at all.

While that is true, let's assume that we give Tank a significant signing bonus with a minimum salary next year. If he is out 10 games that's less than a million worth of cap savings from those 10 games ($500k-ish).

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well Dallas still has two yrs control of him. But id like to see the team do a Barry Church type deal with him

I hope he keeps up the positive momentum. It's great for his, and great for the team.

Verdict

Reaction score
Pay him or let him walk, but tagging him is not an option. No chance he plays under a franchise tag.

There is always a chance. He may not have a choice other than play under the tag or sit out. I don't think he is going to "give away" $20m by sitting the year out, although that too is always a possibility, however remote.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
While that is true, let's assume that we give Tank a significant signing bonus with a minimum salary next year. If he is out 10 games that's less than a million worth of cap savings from those 10 games ($500k-ish).

If he's suspended that likely leverages a return of some of the bonus. That's a sort of standard contract term

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Bad shoulder and only two good-great seasons both in contract year. Buyer beware but Im still buying. Probably something in the 85 million 50 guarentee 4 yrs works for me. Usually past 31 yrs old these guys aren't the same every down player.