Rumor: DLaw looking for 100mils / 70 guaranteed

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He has shown loyalty. He took the cap in stride and played hurt and was a vocal, positive leader in the locker room.

The ball is in the FO’s court to do the right thing and show some loyalty back.
He took the Tag because he refused to sign last year

Little Jr

Reaction score
Players hate the franchise tag because it maximizes their risk. If you stick a guy with the tag and he is a good soldier, produces for you— and then you don’t pay him— you will lose credibility with other players who might hold out when you stick them with the tag.

Pay people who produce for you. Business 101
Once again, it's not like Dallas has been cheap with players they draft and they produce. Fred, Smith, Martin and Dez all got top $. Crawford got a bigger contract than he probably deserved. Lee got a nice contract after spending as much time in the trainers room as he did on the field . The players and everyone else knows they have been loyal to their players and I could argue, at times to loyal and that's been their problem at times. They have A LOT more evidence they are loyal to players and pay then than ones they dont. I don't think 1 player will change that.

As far as him producing,he disappears after the first 4 games the past 2 year's. I'm really not excited about paying a guy top $ who disappears for 3/4 of the season. If a player is going to show up for 4 games id rather it be the last 4 when it's playoff push time.

Sydla

Reaction score
Very similar numbers between Clowney and Lawrence. I guarantee the Houston Texans will not pay Clowney $100 mil w/$70 mil guaranteed.

Clowney isn't the run defender Lawrence is. Hence why Clowney isn't viewed as the clear #1 DE on the free agent market, potentially.

Lawrence is.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
And he got those sacks in large part because Demarcus Lawrence was demanding opposing offense's attention with double and triple teams. Unlike Crawford, Armstrong, and Taco Charlton who are total afterthoughts.

And would you really consider it good planning to count on Randy Gregory? Oh, that's right, you're counting on David Irving too, enough said.
gregory was going up against LTs. They usually dont get the help, thats why its called the weakside while the opposite end is usually the strong side. Gregory was very good.
45 tackles 7 sacks 2FF 1 FR 11 TFL 23 QB hits
Playing fewer snaps than lawrence in 2 fewer games

lawrence 2018
16 games
64 tackles 10.5 sacks 1 FR 1 INT !5 TFL 23 QB hits

Gregory held his own vs Lawrence. And the emergence of Gregory was the reason the defense had success this yr.

Sydla

Reaction score
If this is true then you just proved he isn't worth the big contract

It does no such thing.

Teams are very stingy with first round picks. How many tagged players have had other teams give up a #1 pick to grab them? Few.

It has little to do with the "worth" of the player but rather the fact teams simply don't like giving up #1 picks for tagged players.

Sydla

Reaction score
gregory was going up against LTs. They usually dont get the help, thats why its called the weakside while the opposite end is usually the strong side. Gregory was very good.

lawrence 2018
16 games

Gregory held his own vs Lawrence. And the emergence of Gregory was the reason the defense had success this yr.

But how confident are you in our DEs if it's now Gregory being paired with Charlton or Armstrong?

Because that's the real issue being discussed here.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It does no such thing.

Teams are very stingy with first round picks. How many tagged players have had other teams give up a #1 pick to grab them? Few.

It has little to do with the "worth" of the player but rather the fact teams simply don't like giving up #1 picks for tagged players.
KMack just got 2 1sts and several posters just told me DLaw was better than KMack the last 2 years

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Franchise Tag here we come
That was the only possible outcome after he was Tagged last year

His base salary is now over 20m with the second Tag so he won't take any less on a long-term deal

Tag and trade before the Draft is the best outcome.... next is he plays out the year and we get a Comp 3rd in 2021

Sydla

Reaction score
KMack just got 2 1sts and several posters just told me DLaw was better than KMack the last 2 years

So you found one. How many tagged players have had teams trade #1 picks for them? Few. And it has little to do with the value of the player himself, but rather the overall view most teams take with #1 picks.

Lawrence might be worth $100MM. But it's very unlikely teams are going to give up a #1 pick for him. Not because he's not worth it. But because teams rarely trade #1 picks for tagged guys.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Do you have to resort to making things up that I never said now?
:huh:

Oh please. What a silly argument. There are two options. You keep the guy and worry about another suspension or you let him go. You balked at keeping him because of the suspension issue. That clearly endorses the other option.

Stop resorting to arguments like this when you are wrong.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Not true at all

We got 6 sacks from Mincey for 1m
DEN got 10 for 10m

We were moving to a 4-3 and DWare was crumbling before our eyes

The only mistake was not trading him to DEN

There is more to playing DE than sacks. In no way was Mincey a bargain compared to Ware.

The FO bet that D Ware was done and he wasn’t— and they bet that “our guys” could fill in just fine and they were wrong. Detect a pattern at all?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Once again, it's not like Dallas has been cheap with players they draft and they produce. Fred, Smith, Martin and Dez all got top $. Crawford got a bigger contract than he probably deserved. Lee got a nice contract after spending as much time in the trainers room as he did on the field . The players and everyone else knows they have been loyal to their players and I could argue, at times to loyal and that's been their problem at times. They have A LOT more evidence they are loyal to players and pay then than ones they dont. I don't think 1 player will change that.

As far as him producing,he disappears after the first 4 games the past 2 year's. I'm really not excited about paying a guy top $ who disappears for 3/4 of the season. If a player is going to show up for 4 games id rather it be the last 4 when it's playoff push time.

He doesn’t disappear for 3/4 of the season... its fine to disagree but to overstate your point doesn’t make your point valid

D Law is considered to be a top 3 DE by the majority consensus at this point. At worst he is top 5. Elite players don’t “disappear”. He finished with double digit sacks (again), played through a shoulder injury the majority of the year (instead of protecting his health in a contract year), and had a lot of quality QB pressure and played the run well and consistently.

He is an all around DE and there is more to the position than just sacks.

Sydla

Reaction score
Clowney ate our lunch this past season.

Which has zero to do with my point.

Lawrence is a better all around DE than Clowney. If you want to argue that, be my guest. You'll just look foolish.

If you want to let Lawrence go, I can get behind that as long as there is a viable plan in place. Clowney isn't the answer unless you plan on bringing in more DT help. Also, Clowney is likely to get a hefty payday himself.

I've already said that I'd love to bring in Frank Clark and a legit DT with some of the savings between Lawrence and Clark.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And the context of this entire thing is that America's Cowboy was claiming we could let Lawrence walk because we had Armstrong and Charlton and our DL would be fine.
And Gregory and Irving. Not the first time you withhold key subjects I previously mentioned.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

lawrence 2018
16 games

Exactly. Gregory's arrow is pointing up for 2019. Double digit sacks are coming.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Well, in the end, it's ALL just speculation at this point. And scuttlebutt coming off who goose the moose's web page is nothing more then that...speculation or just flat hear say. I do not see us losing Dl, nor do I see us over paying for him either.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Which has zero to do with my point.

Lawrence is a better all around DE than Clowney. If you want to argue that, be my guest. You'll just look foolish.

If you want to let Lawrence go, I can get behind that as long as there is a viable plan in place. Clowney isn't the answer unless you plan on bringing in more DT help. Also, Clowney is likely to get a hefty payday himself.

I've already said that I'd love to bring in Frank Clark and a legit DT with some of the savings between Lawrence and Clark.
And I agreed with your last assessment. Better to spend $20 mil on 2 very good players, than on only 1.