Rumor: From Another Forum on D. Smith Signing

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
hey guys someone is saying on another board that the cowboys have signed smith, the safety that was with the saints, has anyone heard otherwise?

all i see on tv espn is the witten deal for 6 years, but no mention of safety smith,

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Not yet but fingers are crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow:

Reaction score
I haven't heard such a thing as of yet. I'm hoping they will sign this guy because he's versatile and Parcells loves versitility....

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
yeah, i think jerry jones is real pissed about keith davis being shot again,

Davis needs to wake up, and quit messing around, sounds like same person that got him in trouble first time, he was with them again

if we do sign smith, that would really really strengthen our defense, especially pass defense, especially against those stinking Commanders. I am becoming more and more wary of coleman with his drinking alcohol problems. Granted i have high hopes for Watkins, i am hoping he can help us like WR Alvin Harper did his first year.

If you remember, Harper was used on deep deep balls on defense, and he did a pretty good job, also i have heard on goal line situations, we might use Watkins on jump balls, since he aleady is 6-5, and he jumps 40 vertical jump, he can get way up there too.

So, if we have smith, he can tutor watkins, till he is ready to take over.

sago1

Reaction score
Where you getting info that Keith Davis was with same person this time as last time. Are you referring to the girlfriend he was with this time? Is she same girlfriend as he invovled in in front of stripbar and had did you learn this info?

Before signing Smith, I'd like to know more about why Saints cut him and no other team was willing trade for him. Realize other teams might have been unwilling cause they thought he be cut and they could get him for nothing. On other hand, Payton too good a coach to get rid of a good player--are his 2 time gun use just part of an overall character problem?

J-DOG

Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
yeah, i think jerry jones is real pissed about keith davis being shot again,

Davis needs to wake up, and quit messing around, sounds like same person that got him in trouble first time, he was with them again

if we do sign smith, that would really really strengthen our defense, especially pass defense, especially against those stinking Commanders. I am becoming more and more wary of coleman with his drinking alcohol problems. Granted i have high hopes for Watkins, i am hoping he can help us like WR Alvin Harper did his first year.

If you remember, Harper was used on deep deep balls on defense, and he did a pretty good job, also i have heard on goal line situations, we might use Watkins on jump balls, since he aleady is 6-5, and he jumps 40 vertical jump, he can get way up there too.

So, if we have smith, he can tutor watkins, till he is ready to take over.
So you are saying that the guy he picked up at the night club was the same dude in the car when he got shot last week?
That would kind of change the way I look at things also.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'd be surprised to see this.

I remember Jones saying that we'd stay put with personnel.

Plus, you can never trust a rumor on the ESPN boards.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
sago1 said:
Before signing Smith, I'd like to know more about why Saints cut him

He apparently was highly critical of the organization last year, and pissed off the brass...

and no other team was willing trade for him. Realize other teams might have been unwilling cause they thought he be cut and they could get him for nothing.

There you go, that's precisely the reason... why give up a draft pick or a player if you can sign a guy for no more commitment than some cash??

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Bizwah said:
I'd be surprised to see this.

I remember Jones saying that we'd stay put with personnel.

Apparently you didn't see the interview Jerry gave just yesterday, in which he said the Boys WERE looking into possibly signing Dwight... said they were investigating the character issues, and that it had nothing to do with Keith Davis getting shot, but everything to do with upgrading the talent at safety...

KingTuna

Reaction score
I sure hope he is a cowboy before the end of the weekend.. IF so ,our Defense is SET!!

Bizwah

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Apparently you didn't see the interview Jerry gave just yesterday, in which he said the Boys WERE looking into possibly signing Dwight... said they were investigating the character issues, and that it had nothing to do with Keith Davis getting shot, but everything to do with upgrading the talent at safety...

I didn't see that.

I still doubt this.....again, ESPN boards report us signing every single FA on the market.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
special edition with jerry jones is on tonight at 10:30...football is officially here...every saturday till february now....

anyway I am sure he will address these issues. I think it was taped on wed. though, but should bring some info.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
First, I was saying, when davis got shot the 2nd time, someone drove him to hospital? Police didnt say whether it was female or male, but the way they implied it, was a woman.

So, I was just saying, like some other boards have said, what if this is the same woman or girlfriend he was with the first time he got shot?

To me, way Jerry Jones stated, he wasnt real pleased about Keith Davis getting shot again right before camp. He didnt condemn him, but he wasnt pleased, and to add to that, its 5 am in the morning. Plus, he is driving a car, that is suped up,

I am not condeming Keith Davis, he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like the cowboys are covering themselves. Since the bullet is still lodged in his leg. and you know for sure, Parcells isnt pleased either.

Just seems all that is what is happening, cowboys hardly made a statement, then what jerry jones says friday. And they are looking at smith now. True, it just might be to better themselves when opportunity arises. But still seems fishy!!!!!!!!!!

Remember the cowboys did try to get smith last year, but couldnt swing the deal.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
theebs

[Default]
special edition with jerry jones is on tonight at 10:30...football is officially here...every saturday till february now....

anyway I am sure he will address these issues. I think it was taped on wed. though, but should bring some info.

Hey, can you give us an update post on jerry jones sat show? i dont get it here in east texas, would appreciate it if you see something about smith.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ESPN insider had nothing....

Kffl: Vikings | Team may visit with D. Smith as early as Monday
Sat, 22 Jul 2006 16:36:35 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings may host free agent S Dwight Smith (Saints) as early as Monday, July 24. Smith has a strong relationship with Vikings defense coordinator Mike Tomlin when the two were with Tampa Bay. As previously noted, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers reportedly also are interested in signing Smith, who also can play at nickel back in their cover-2 defense.

thats all I could find from today

Reaction score
They have Darren Sharper, doesn't make much sense but then again we have a lot of safeties on the roster as of now so that doesn't mean much. Jerral Jones better seriously consider signing Smith though.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
They could play him opposite of Sharper they are using a cover 2 which is what Smith excelled in with Tampa Bay. So it makes a LOT of sense actually.