Rumor: From Another Forum on D. Smith Signing

Bizwah

Reaction score
With us giving Davis a new contract and trying to ink Roy Williams to an new deal...not to mention giving a draft pick a new deal....I don't see us giving Smith the type of contract he'll command.

We'd have a ton of money tied up in safties.....and the secondary in general.

TNew will be due soon as well.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
First, I was saying, when davis got shot the 2nd time, someone drove him to hospital? Police didnt say whether it was female or male, but the way they implied it, was a woman.

It was a woman. You can hear her voice on the 9-1-1 call posted here the other day.

And I think it's a bit early to accuse him of getting into trouble. Unless you know something no one else knows.

wileedog

Reaction score
Bizwah said:
With us giving Davis a new contract and trying to ink Roy Williams to an new deal...not to mention giving a draft pick a new deal....I don't see us giving Smith the type of contract he'll command.

Coming off 3 pretty good years in Tampa he got a 5 year, $15M deal with the Saints incuding a $3.5M SB. Now he's coming off a bad year out of position with some character questions after waving a pellet gun around a few times and alledgedly bashing the NO FO openly in the locker room.

The reported competetion for his services are Minnesota, who already has Sharper, and Tampa who let him walk a year ago. I don't see him in a position to demand a whopping contract, and indeed the best course for everyone invloved is probably something incentive laden.

You're right it will still be a lot of money to tie up in the secondary, but damn, it will be a very, very good secondary in a pass-happy league.....

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Remind me: why was he released? I thought the Aints were hurting at safety as it is.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
bbgun said:
Remind me: why was he released? I thought the Aints were hurting at safety as it is.

Good question. The Spags-ism "if he's so good, why is he available" I believe applies in this case. :)

Reaction score
I was leary of the Keith Davis shooting from the start. I mean, what are the odds of getting shot twice, twice, & you're just an innocent bystander both times. The odds are astronomical. If he was with the same people both times, I don't think it will take any legal action from the authorities for BP & JJ to show Davis the road.

I hate to see a player's career go down, but if he brought it on himself, man, this is awesome timing! We sign Smith, dump Davis, and our FS position is set for our 2007 Super Bowl run!!

MAN! Am I stoked! God, please let this happen. This guy is just what the doctor ordered as a playmaker & big banger. With both him & Roy roaming the deep middle, the NFL will see more alligator arms than a Florida zoo...:p:

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Cogan, I am not familar with him, Smith, is he, my question, is he a good cover guy, because you know that is our main weakness at free safety.

Davis is a good hitter too, but his coverage skills are terrible, at least last year.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
So, if we have smith, he can tutor watkins, till he is ready to take over.

Dwight has problems taking care of his own self, how is he going to tutor a younger player?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
J-DOG said:
So you are saying that the guy he picked up at the night club was the same dude in the car when he got shot last week?
That would kind of change the way I look at things also.

there was no dude in the car this 2nd time, it was a chick...

I highly doubt the 2 situations are the same, but still, it's not good for Killer to keep getting shot

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Apparently you didn't see the interview Jerry gave just yesterday, in which he said the Boys WERE looking into possibly signing Dwight... said they were investigating the character issues, and that it had nothing to do with Keith Davis getting shot, but everything to do with upgrading the talent at safety...

and that most likely they'd stand pat and work with what they got...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe said:
First, I was saying, when davis got shot the 2nd time, someone drove him to hospital? Police didnt say whether it was female or male, but the way they implied it, was a woman.

So, I was just saying, like some other boards have said, what if this is the same woman or girlfriend he was with the first time he got shot?

To me, way Jerry Jones stated, he wasnt real pleased about Keith Davis getting shot again right before camp. He didnt condemn him, but he wasnt pleased, and to add to that, its 5 am in the morning. Plus, he is driving a car, that is suped up,

I am not condeming Keith Davis, he deserves the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like the cowboys are covering themselves. Since the bullet is still lodged in his leg. and you know for sure, Parcells isnt pleased either.

Just seems all that is what is happening, cowboys hardly made a statement, then what jerry jones says friday. And they are looking at smith now. True, it just might be to better themselves when opportunity arises. But still seems fishy!!!!!!!!!!

Remember the cowboys did try to get smith last year, but couldnt swing the deal.

there's alot of conjecture in your post, you should work with what there is, Keith was driving at 5 a.m. in the morning from a family engagement, and someone saw his suped up car, and decided to shoot it up, like w/ the nightclub situation, wrong place, wrong time, and most importantly, both times Keith wasn't involved in any wrongdoing

btw, what does him riding around in a suped up vehicle have to do with anything? have you seen the cars most players ride around in?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Bizwah said:

:hammer: unless he decides to play for chump change, I dont' see Dallas bringing him in

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog said:
The reported competetion for his services are Minnesota, who already has Sharper, and Tampa who let him walk a year ago. I don't see him in a position to demand a whopping contract, and indeed the best course for everyone invloved is probably something incentive laden.

players who see multiple suitors use that to drive up their asking price all the time

Cowboy Bebop

Reaction score
I do not think the gun issue will play a big roll in the D. Smith decision. If Jones was concerned about gun safety he wouldn't have hired Barry Switzer.

Then again maybe we should stick with Davis... I mean he was on his way to church when it happened right? He can't be all bad.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
players who see multiple suitors use that to drive up their asking price all the time

Wow

now class today were going to learn about consolidation! ok? Great!

we could easily pay him a nice chunk because we didn't over pay this offseason for two par recievers, a injury prone and slow safety, and a one year wonder defensive end.

wileedog

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:

And smart GMs understand what is smoke and mirrors and what is reality.

Minny wants him to be a nickle corner. Tampa already let him go once.

I think Smith's agent is driving the Minny/Tampa interest to use as leverage on Dallas. Stephan has been too smart for that nonsense thus far.....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
wileedog said:
And smart GMs understand what is smoke and mirrors and what is reality.

Minny wants him to be a nickle corner. Tampa already let him go once.

I think Smith's agent is driving the Minny/Tampa interest to use as leverage on Dallas. Stephan has been too smart for that nonsense thus far.....

I understand this, but you said Dwight has no reason to ask for alot of money, which is true, but in his mind, he is going to use the 2 teams as leverage, and with one, Minny, offering him a substantial contract, which could turn this into a long contract talk with Dallas, and which I don't see Dallas wanting to spend the time for, Dallas isn't going to give him the big contract that he wants, so he's going to take Minny's offer IMO

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
Wow

now class today were going to learn about consolidation! ok? Great!

we could easily pay him a nice chunk because we didn't over pay this offseason for two par recievers, a injury prone and slow safety, and a one year wonder defensive end.

I'm a Cowboy fan, and outside of Heavy Hitta and 5stars, am the biggest Commander hater on this forum

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
It is real simple to me. If you want one of the best secondaries in the NFL in Dallas, you sign Dwight Smith. If you want the Dallas Defense to step to the next level to being dominate, you sign Dwight Smith. If you worry about his "small character issues" and don't realize that this is a business and the business is about winning, you don't sign Dwight Smith and you are an idiot...

I just hope the that JJ and Parcells aren't idiots...