RUMOR: NEW Roy Williams Update DET WR

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Vintage;1912470 said:
Regarding Ellis....

He is with the team next year. I mean, realistically, right now, our only two legitimate pass rushers are Ware and Ellis. Spencer has potential, but as of now, that potential hasn't been realized.

Even if Spencer does have a breakout year next year, we will need Ellis anyway for depth and certain packages... God forbid an injury takes place too...

We have no one behind Spencer and Ware if we were to get rid of Ellis. And if Spencer doesn't break out, we are back to one legitimate pass rusher.

And seeing as how pass rushers tend to get paid pretty well in free agency...I doubt we can find a legitimate replacement for the salary of Ellis...

And if we drafted one, we'd have a rookie + Spencer....talk about putting your eggs in one basket (relying on unproven youngsters).

Ellis is with the team a minimum of one more year. And he should be.

Well said, well said

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Bach;1912469 said:
:laugh2:

Mike Williams is a bust, Roy on the other hand, I don't think so.

Detroit is like a blackhole, especially for receivers. I think he could shine with another team.

Roy is a top reciever. look what he has done with no QB

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Who in there right mind wants to get rid of Ellis. He may not have as good a year next year but he'd have to prove he's lost it for me to get rid of the 2nd or 3rd most valuable defensive player on the team.

We'll be looking for another pass rusher though. Along with the rest of the league.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
jobberone;1912480 said:
Who in there right mind wants to get rid of Ellis. He may not have as good a year next year but he'd have to prove he's lost it for me to get rid of the 2nd or 3rd most valuable defensive player on the team.

We'll be looking for another pass rusher though. Along with the rest of the league.

Some folks get pissed off when any Cowboy plays the malcontent... case in point, all the critics in here who were OUTRAGED that Jason Garrett would be so "disloyal" to the Cowboys that he'd go interview for not one, but two head coach jobs... I guess the roster is supposed to be made up entirely of good soldiers, who never, ever utter a discouraging word , who always toe the party line...

Me, I don't care if Ellis throws a hissy fit in the locker room on a daily basis, if he can put up double digit sacks for the Boys I'll just turn a deaf ear to his ranting...

firehawk350

Reaction score
silverbear;1912595 said:
Some folks get pissed off when any Cowboy plays the malcontent... case in point, all the critics in here who were OUTRAGED that Jason Garrett would be so "disloyal" to the Cowboys that he'd go interview for not one, but two head coach jobs... I guess the roster is supposed to be made up entirely of good soldiers, who never, ever utter a discouraging word , who always toe the party line...

Me, I don't care if Ellis throws a hissy fit in the locker room on a daily basis, if he can put up double digit sacks for the Boys I'll just turn a deaf ear to his ranting...
Well I think the issue is that the NFL is a business, plain and simple. However, none of us fans see it so, because not only do we not make any money, we spend money on something in which we get no real return on. So most fans think, because they follow the Cowboys because of passion and dedication to the Cowboys, all members involved with the organization should show the kind of faithfulness they show.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
firehawk350;1912606 said:
Well I think the issue is that the NFL is a business, plain and simple. However, none of us fans see it so, because not only do we not make any money, we spend money on something in which we get no real return on. So most fans think, because they follow the Cowboys because of passion and dedication to the Cowboys, all members involved with the organization should show the kind of faithfulness they show.

Well said, firehawk...

It's still tiresome, this knee-jerk rush to bash anybody connected with the team who might utter a discouraging word...

Boysboy

Reaction score
I would like to hear what was EXACTLY said + context myself.

Who knows? Maybe that radio guy was joking, or was "giving a scenerio", and whoever was listening to it told a friend, and his friend who posted this info on that board took what his friend said out of context.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
BEST OF ROY WILLIAMS PART ONE: 'I want to stay' with Lions, help 'groom' Megatron Calvin Johnson
January 10, 2008

FREE PRESS NEWS AND WIRE SERVICES

Despite the Detroit Lions' up-and-down season, there's best one consistency throughout the year: wide receiver Roy Williams is bound to say something memorable.

Here is Part 1 of the best bytes of the year from Williams' appearances on WDFN this year.

On picking up Calvin Johnson's first TD catch ball and giving it to Calvin: "What was (Calvin) thinking? I should have kept it and he would have had to buy it from me. That first touchdown is everything. That's one of the balls he's going to have the rest of his life. He's going to be a part of that 100-touchdown club one of these days and there's not one more important than that first one."

On Johnson:

"He's real quiet. … He's a good athlete, he's big as hell, he's Megatron."

On the gameplan in the loss to Arizona, in which the Lions ran for minus-18 yards

"To be honest, I don’t know what the game plan was. ... (Mike Martz) called a pretty decent game, minus the non-running factor.
On needing a new quarterback:

“We have J.T. and we have Drew, and I think they’re really sold on Drew being the backup and one day being the starter here. But if one of those quarterbacks fall into our lap, like the Ryan kid, or if we happen to make a trade to get up, I think they might do that. Kitna is getting to be 97 years old, so we do need that solid backup.”

On drafting a defensive player:

"I think we need a couple more playmakers on defense that’s going to make the plays, and that’s why I didn’t really want to get rid of Dre, even though he doesn’t fit the system because he’s not going to tackle. But as far as going his way, you’re going to fear it throwing his way because he would’ve had seven to eight picks this year.”

On his feelings about Mike Martz’ departure:

“I was kind of upset a little bit, just because I know what kind of coach he can be. I think he’s brought out the best in my game and I think he’s taught me a lot about the game of football, especially at the NFL level. It was kind of hard but everything happens for a reason. Everybody talks about us not running the football and when we ran it 25 times or more we won, and that’s just a little bit hard for him to do.”

Are you looking to stay with the Lions long term?

"It goes back to when I am drafted. I think I am the type of player that I feel I can change a franchise around. And it was the same thing I said when I first got drafted here. I’m a good player; I’ve also been at good programs. And I just felt I was a piece of the puzzle that could turn this thing around. And now we’re adding more pieces to the puzzle. Just because I talk about Texas and the Longhorns doesn’t mean I want to go back home. This is my job; I love football I don’t care where I play. Right now it is here in Detroit. And all I want to do is make plays and help the team win. I think the fans, I think the players I think the coaches misunderstand me. A lot of fans don’t like my first down sign, but I don’t do it for the fans, I do it for my teammates. Dang it lets start playing."

On wanting to be traded:

“No, I want to be right here. I feel that I can groom Calvin because I’m going to put a lot of pressure on him to be the No. 1 guy. I always say that he can be the No. 1 guy, but I’m not just going to sit there and be like ‘Here, you’re the No. 1 guy now.’ He’s going to have to come and show up and compete every day and help this team win and become that No. 1 guy.”

On Marinelli two years in:

“I think everybody just wanted a fresh start. I think everybody just wants to start over, I think everybody just wants to get healthy and see what this year can bring. We have the AFC South and the NFC South this year, which is two good divisions but very winnable games. We have a pretty good schedule that we can get some wins in, and we’ll just see what happens but I think everybody’s still into Rod and I think he has to get to know some players a little bit more and have some fun with this thing. You know, let’s laugh and joke, let’s not be so uptight all the time and have a great time.”

Are there loafers on this team?

"There’s not on the offensive side of the ball. Coach is a defensive guy, so when he talks, he predominantly talks about the defense -- the defensive line. Offensively, after watching the film, there are no loafers on offense. The wide receivers are running. The offensive line did an OK job. We just put 10 points on the board, but there’s no loafs on the offensive side."

On how he talked with Calvin Johnson:

"You know I have a two-year-old son -- I’m not saying I talked to (Calvin) like that -- but I had a little bass in my voice. I wasn’t smiling. I told him he needed to pick his crap up. 'We’re going to call on you -- you’ve got to make these plays.' You know, something like that; I can’t say it all. I think he just had to settle down. I think he let that first drop get to him. Because he’s a good wide receiver; he’s going to be pretty good. He has to know that he has to make those plays."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080110/SPORTS01/80109109/1049

ctrous25

Stay Classy Philly/Minny
Reaction score
I would welcome that. He be a great inside receiver for Tony and he would compliment T.O aswell, id rather have Chad Johnson but Lewis said hes not going anywhere so Id settle for Roy W. plus we have two first rounders we could afford a second round trade.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ctrous25;1913012 said:
I would welcome that. He be a great inside receiver for Tony and he would compliment T.O aswell, id rather have Chad Johnson but Lewis said hes not going anywhere so Id settle for Roy W. plus we have two first rounders we could afford a second round trade.
:welcome: to the board. Enjoy!!!

newlander

Reaction score
LOL Rampage, this would mean we would have at least ONE Roy W. on the team that can play...........sorry, couldn't help it............

Green28

Reaction score
In my opinion, there are probably 15 teams in the league (all with higher 2nd round picks than Dallas) that would gladly hand over a 2nd round pick for him. One of those teams being Washington.

sbark

Reaction score
Will the wr Roy Williams run a quick slant vrs. the Philly style def..........

appears we are in need of a WR who will break of the route and take the hot read..........

or we will see that defence 16 times next year..................

raichledog

Reaction score
satam55;1911851 said:
On a General NFL board there is a guy from Detroit saying that on the sports radio station there he heard some news. The lions are looking to get rid of Williams for a 2nd round draft pick. Same goes for Shaun Rogers. Like I stated, this is from some guy and there is no link. IMO if this is true I say give them the draft pick in the 2nd round no questions asked! At first it seems skeptical but look at what the Patriots had to give for Moss. It could happen. (for those who don't know it was a 4th round pick)

What is everyones opinion on this IF it is true?

IF true, you make it happen TODAY!!! He's young, big, fast, great hands, better than average route runner, and competitive. Our wr corps would be the best in the NFL and set for years.