Rumor: Rodgers-like draft slide for USC QB Leinart are already being discussed

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Rumors of an Aaron Rodgers-like draft slide for USC quarterback Matt Leinart are already being discussed.

The presence of Vince Young, Jay Cutler, and Brodie Croyle accompanied by the fact that Leinart didn't participate in Senior Bowl activities is given as the reasoning. Although it doesn't seem he's as likely as Rodgers may have been to fall, no one saw what happened last year coming, either. Leinart's agents Leigh Steinberg and Chuck Price have apparently been quarrelling, but at his point there's no way he gets past Miami at 16.

Jan. 29 - 2:50 pm et

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Rumors of an Aaron Rodgers-like draft slide for USC quarterback Matt Leinart are already being discussed.

The presence of Vince Young, Jay Cutler, and Brodie Croyle accompanied by the fact that Leinart didn't participate in Senior Bowl activities is given as the reasoning. Although it doesn't seem he's as likely as Rodgers may have been to fall, no one saw what happened last year coming, either. Leinart's agents Leigh Steinberg and Chuck Price have apparently been quarrelling, but at his point there's no way he gets past Miami at 16.

It would be ashamed if he slipped. He was sitting on top of the world last year with a guaranteed 1, and now who knows.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Gryphon said:

Don't make me laugh...He'll still go #2 to N.O. unless something's wrong with him at workouts.

Would you want to be the gm who passed on Leinart to take Cutler or Croyle...I wouldn't want to be the guy who passed on him for Young whose game I don't think will translate well to the NFL for a few years, but that's debatable...He had a much better game in the 2nd half of the Rose bowl than YOung, throwing the ball and putting points on the board...YOung only outshined him running, which was his SuperMan performance against a weak defense.

Ridiculous idea.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
It would be ashamed if he slipped. He was sitting on top of the world last year with a guaranteed 1, and now who knows.

If it happens he has one to blame but himself.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Don't make me laugh...He'll still go #2 to N.O. unless something's wrong with him at workouts.

Would you want to be the gm who passed on Leinart to take Cutler or Croyle...I wouldn't want to be the guy who passed on him for Young whose game I don't think will translate well to the NFL for a few years, but that's debatable...He had a much better game in the 2nd half of the Rose bowl than YOung, throwing the ball and putting points on the board...YOung only outshined him running, which was his SuperMan performance against a weak defense.

Ridiculous idea.
Bush taking a pass from 3 yards out and going all the way with it could make any QB look good. :)

HardHittin'Witten

This ain't Madden
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
Bush taking a pass from 3 yards out and going all the way with it could make any QB look good. :)

Bingo.

I'm not saying Leinart will be a bust, but he had an amazing amount of talent around him.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
Bingo.

I'm not saying Leinart will be a bust, but he had an amazing amount of talent around him.
Sure he did...although his WR's weren't top guys in the country. IN that Rose Bowl, with all the pressure on him every play and all the DBs and LBs all over his receivers, Leinart showed me more in the 2nd half than in any of the big numbers games he had during the year.

He was making great throws, including that long TD pass to Jarrett between two defenders at the goalline. I was also impressed with the great throw down the sideline in the first half to the FB...dropped in perfectly behind 1 guy and in front of another. I get your point, but in that game, Texas controlled Bush for the most part by playing 8-9 DBs and LBs all game, which is why the power running game was working up the middle. Leinart had great stats in the 2nd half throwing the ball.

Young deserves all the credit in the world for what he did to that USC defense...he ran wild. But compare strictly the QB stats throwing the ball and Leinart had a great game.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

Ridiculous idea.
I agree. Could you imagine him passing out of the top 10? Insane. Rumors like this will start threads like...."should we draft Leinart with our pick at 18?" We don't really want that, do we?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
No way Leinart slides any further than the Jets at 4. If those 3 teams pass on him the Jets will knock people over getting that card to the Tags.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Croyle, IMO, is overated. Leinart will be a very goodQB, he has a great demeanor for NFL football and he can throw the ball too! :)

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Croyle, Cutler and Young are very iffy. Man what a weak rumor.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
HardHittin'Witten said:
Bingo.

He kind of has a noodle arm....not saying he doesn't have an adequate one, but against Texas you saw some of his passes just get kind of floated up there..

His O-Line at USC was great...he had 2 future pro RB's behind him, and great talent at WR.....There were some games I watched of SC, and White and Bush would each run for 180 yards with a 10YPC average.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Gryphon said:

Rodgers sliding was being talked about all over last week or two heading into draft last year.

Only thing that had him up there in the first place was the SF/Cal connection.

Once SF settled on the other bust #1 we found AR's real value.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Rodgers slid because he was another Tedford QB. Don't think that doesn't play on the scout's mind.

Carson Palmer's play will effect Leinart's final status but in a positve way as opposed to Smith/Leaf/Boller.

Carrol/Chow will also have a postive influence on how Leinart's viewed.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
Rodgers slid because he was another Tedford QB. Don't think that doesn't play on the scout's mind.

Carson Palmer's play will effect Leinart's final status but in a positve way as opposed to Smith/Leaf/Boller.

Carrol/Chow will also have a postive influence on how Leinart's viewed.

:hammer:

if Alex Smith can be the #1 overall choice, coming from a timing-based, shotgun offense, Leinart, from a pro-style offense, sure as hell can be selected in the top 5 of the draft

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One day after the senior bowl and Leinart is slidding. By draft day he will be right back in the top 4 at worst.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I have to agree with some. Lienart's arm really doesnt impress me. His numbers are often so misleading. The rose bowl, every pass was a screen or short route that was taking for big chunks of yards. Besides the fullback pass, which was nice. A lot of talk is about his strength. They say he doesn't show the ability to fire the ball in traffic like Brett Favre, etc do. He'll be solid. But I don't see him as a HOF player by any means. He shouldnt be drafted before Young, despite what many on this board say, but he probably will be a Saint.