Rumor: Zeke Turns Down Contract

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Huh? That doesn't even remotely make sense. Taking a day off and getting booed?? I take time off I am entitled to. He's supposed to be at work and is under contract to be working, let's not forget that here. I don't show up when I am supposed to be there I get fired. Perhaps he will too...or hopefully traded.

His contract is 50 percent below top market rate for elite RBs.

400+ NFL players make more than Zeke. Per Spotrac.

Be real.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
His contract is 50 percent below top market rate for elite RBs.

400+ NFL players make more than Zeke. Per Spotrac.

Be real.

Jerry offered him a large contract and he turned it down. And that offer was NOT 50% below top market rate. It would've made him the 2nd highest paid RB in the league.
So let him sit!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry offered him a large contract and he turned it down. And that offer was NOT 50% below top market rate. It would've made him the 2nd highest paid RB in the league.
So let him sit!

So, Zeke should accept somewhere between 13 and 16 million per year................. How's a man supposed to keep up his jewelry collection on that? After taxes, that about 8 million which leaves him a mere 666k a month to drop on women and bling. He'd have to save up for a few months to get anything decent. A man who run's with a ball for a living should not have to put off purchases.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
So let him sit!

Difference between TGurley and LBell contracts is 2 million.

How much is a Cowboys win/loss worth to Jerry?!? 2 million?!

Pride is the answer.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
So let him sit!

Sure.

Zeke only making 3.8 million in 2019.

He can roll that into his new deal.

Doesn't hurt Zeke to sit.

Hurts Dallas when they lose games.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
So, Zeke should accept somewhere between 13 and 16 million per year................. How's a man supposed to keep up his jewelry collection on that? After taxes, that about 8 million which leaves him a mere 666k a month to drop on women and bling. He'd have to save up for a few months to get anything decent. A man who run's with a ball for a living should not have to put off purchases.

Yup, he's probably living off ramen noodles to keep from starving. LOL

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Sure.

He can roll that into his new deal.

Doesn't hurt Zeke to sit.

Hurts Dallas when they lose games.

What new deal? Let him sit! Period. He doesn't get paid in Cabo. He doesn't get paid sitting. He doesn't get traded.
He can't go anywhere else because he's under contract. He wants to sit so let him sit. All year.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Sure.

I looked up Zekes original contract and he was guaranteed over 24 mil. for 4 years
And yes 3.8 in 2019, and over 9 mil in 2020.
And if memory serves, I think his original signing bonus was like 16mil?
So he was made a multimillionaire right out of the gait. He's not starving.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Difference between TGurley and LBell contracts is 2 million.

How much is a Cowboys win/loss worth to Jerry?!? 2 million?!

Pride is the answer.
Every Cowboys' contract negotiation is not about cash. Financially, Jerry Jones could reasonably compensate player contractual demand without difficulty. He is wealthier than some people can comprehend.

Jones and the front office's goal is proper manipulation of the franchise's salary cap. More emphasis towards retention and flexibility for acquiring players in the near and long-term. Less emphasis on dead money, etc., that are detrimental to salary cap health.

Pride is not the answer. However, an overly cautious approach strategically is both questionable and debatable.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every Cowboys' contract negotiation is not about cash. Financially, Jerry Jones could reasonably compensate player contractual demand without difficulty. He is wealthier than some people can comprehend.

Jones and the front office's goal is proper manipulation of the franchise's salary cap. More emphasis towards retention and flexibility for acquiring players in the near and long-term. Less emphasis on dead money, etc., that are detrimental to salary cap health.

Pride is not the answer. However, an overly cautious approach strategically is both questionable and debatable.

I don't think it is when talking about this player, and his history of bad decisions, suspension, and trips to the Principal's office.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I looked up Zekes original contract and he was guaranteed over 24 mil. for 4 years
And yes 3.8 in 2019, and over 9 mil in 2020.
And if memory serves, I think his original signing bonus was like 16mil?
So he was made a multimillionaire right out of the gait. He's not starving.
Yeah 16 million signing bonus all at once but spread out over the 4 years. So actually 7.8 this year. They just gave him the 4 upfront in good faith. Elliot’s agent negotiated that. I wonder if he sits this year if JJ can ask for the 4 million back. Was likely fully guaranteed.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it is when talking about this player, and his history of bad decisions, suspension, and trips to the Principal's office.
I think the circumstances surrounding Elliott to this point are truly motivating a cautionary position but I do not think any pushback from the front office is due to Jones being 'cheap'. That is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the circumstances surrounding Elliott to this point are truly motivating a cautionary position but I do not think any pushback from the front office is due to Jones being 'cheap'. That is what I was referring to in my earlier post.

Gotcha, I didn't get that the first time reading it.
:thumbup:

Shotgun Dave

Reaction score
If teams could replace elite backs that simple, every team would have a Zeke.

Try it Jerry.

1993 anyone?

Don't disagree. However, this amounts to a tantrum on Zeke's part. If Jerry gives in, he will get more of it.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
The only money guarantee should be Zeke paying back Jerry when he messes off-field again this year.