Run Defense | True NT

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I was hoping @xwalker would come up with a another fairytale thread about how the DTs aren’t the issue with the run defense and they aren’t totally getting manhandled.

THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE WITH RUN DEFENSE IS NOT HAVING A NT THAT CAN TAKE ON COMBO BLOCK/DOWN BLOCK .

Jenkins just exposed the whole DL and took them to the wood shed. If Jerry wants to win meaningful games in the post-season or even make it to the playoffs he will need to make a trade for a true NT like Star Louteleli.

Verdict

Reaction score
I was hoping @xwalker would come up with a another fairytale thread about how the DTs aren’t the issue with the run defense and they aren’t totally getting manhandled.

THE NUMBER ONE ISSUE WITH RUN DEFENSE IS NOT HAVING A NT THAT CAN TAKE ON COMBO BLOCK/DOWN BLOCK .

Jenkins just exposed the whole DL and took them to the wood shed. If Jerry wants to win meaningful games in the post-season or even make it to the playoffs he will need to make a trade for a true NT like Star Louteleli.

While I totally agree with you and side with you on this issue, and respectfully disagree with @xwalker on this issue, I understand that reasonable minds can view the same facts differently. Having said that, after the Green Bay game, I think it’s hard to objectively be in the camp that doesn’t include the school of thought that we need a legit 1 Tech.

While we are at it, our DL scheme is garbage and that’s not helping either. Marinelli needs to be put out to pasture and it can’t happen soon enough.

I have been saying this all season: Our run defense is complete garbage.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I totally agree with you and side with you on this issue, and respectfully disagree with @xwalker on this issue, I understand that reasonable minds can view the same facts differently. Having said that, after the Green Bay game, I think it’s hard to objectively be in the camp that doesn’t include the school of thought that we need a legit 1 Tech.

While we are at it, our DL scheme is garbage and that’s not helping either. Marinelli needs to be put out to pasture and it can’t happen soon enough.

I have been saying this all season: Our run defense is complete garbage.

This guy attempted to explain the concept...

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
A big run stuffing DT would help, but this is ignoring the real issue.

In the Cowboys scheme the job of the 1-technique is to occupy blockers and allow the LB's to flow freely to the ballcarrier. LVE and Jaylon Smith, however, are missing way too many tackles this year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

In the Cowboys scheme the job of the 1-technique is to occupy blockers and allow the LB's to flow freely to the ballcarrier. LVE and Jaylon Smith, however, are missing way too many tackles this year.

This.

I think it's more of a LB problem than it is a DT problem.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This puts it all on the linebackers. The DTs were the first line of defense and they were gashed before the RB ever got to the second level.

The LBs are over compensating and over pursuing because of the weak *** DTs we have playing against the run.
Exactly I mean can a d lineman get off a block and make a play or close a gap up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This puts it all on the linebackers. The DTs were the first line of defense and they were gashed before the RB ever got to the second level.

The LBs are over compensating and over pursuing because of the weak *** DTs we have playing against the run.

Then answer a couple of questions.

I'll start with just one question.

Go to 2:02 of the video.

Look at DT #96 Collins and notice he is lined up in the middle between the hash marks.

Watch him, especially before the RB gets the handoff.

Why does Collins end up outside the right hash marks?

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why is jaylon getting sucked into worrying about the reverse. Surely the backside DE and lb have that responsibility.
If jaylon hits that correct hole it's a one yard gain(play two on the video)

It's the damn scheme......

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Look at DT #96 Collins and notice he is lined up in the middle between the hash marks.

Because marinelli runs d line slants. notice all the other d lineman slanting as well to that direction. Backside has to see and make that play not #96.

Verdict

Reaction score

I watched the video as you suggested. I’m not sure where you are going with that. The play action may have delayed LVE’s reaction but the original hole was due to the DL vacating that entire area.

The whole rushmen concept isn’t working. The DTs are not doing their job on run contain.

What is it that you are trying to get at regarding your post?

Brooksey

Reaction score

The 1 tech is shooting gaps, he's not occupying anything

JayFord

Reaction score
Ill wait until the coaches try having our dts 2 gap before i see if we need to go get someone

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I watched the video as you suggested. I’m not sure where you are going with that. The play action may have delayed LVE’s reaction but the original hole was due to the DL vacating that entire area.

The whole rushmen concept isn’t working. The DTs are not doing their job on run contain.

What is it that you are trying to get at regarding your post?

I asked you a very specific question.

I asked about the DT Collins.

I did not ask about LVE.

I'll repeat the question.

Why was Collins outside the right hash after initially being between the hashes where the RB ended up going?

A: Collins took himself outside off the snap.

B: Collins was overpowered off the snap and driven to the outside by OLinemen.