Run Defense | True NT

kskboys

Reaction score
This.

I think it's more of a LB problem than it is a DT problem.
Then why have we had this same problem for many years? Plug in new LB's, same problem.

Seriously, Mike, it's beyond me why people keep excusing our horrific DT play. It's terrible. You consistently have 300+ pounders out in front blocking the LB's, guys who should've been taken care of by disruptive DT's.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I asked you a very specific question.

I asked about the DT Collins.

I did not ask about LVE.

I'll repeat the question.

Why was Collins outside the right hash after initially being between the hashes where the RB ended up going?

A: Collins took himself outside off the snap.

B: Collins was overpowered off the snap and driven to the outside by OLinemen.
He certainly didnt make it look like he was in any way responsible for taking on a block and making a tackle.` If our scheme gives him a good grade for that play then lord help us.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This puts it all on the linebackers. The DTs were the first line of defense and they were gashed before the RB ever got to the second level.

The LBs are over compensating and over pursuing because of the weak *** DTs we have playing against the run.

Lee, LVE, and Smith were so-so, but you were right: it looked as if GB had 15 lineman swallowing the Dallas D-Line.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Whether you call him a o tech, a nose tackle, a defensive lineman, a 1 tech, or a down lineman, it's not the position the Cowboys need, it's the player.

Aaron Donald is considered the best DT in the league, and he's well under 300 lbs. But he has POWER. Power is strength PLUS speed. A 280 lb person moving at 10 mph is just as powerful as a 330 lb person moving 8.5 mph.

Don't care if our DTs are 300 lbs or 350 lbs, if they can rush the passer and make run stops, that's who I want. But it ain't easy to find them. Problem is the Cowboys have never tried to find them, sure they get some guys who are well over 300 lbs, but they don't have the quickness and/or strength as well. Or they have the quickness like Irving, but aren't even close to 300 lbs, you do have to have some size, for durability and endurance if nothing else....

ondaedg

Reaction score
This puts it all on the linebackers. The DTs were the first line of defense and they were gashed before the RB ever got to the second level.

The LBs are over compensating and over pursuing because of the weak *** DTs we have playing against the run.

Yep. The DTs rolled with the blockers who continued rolling them allowing the green bay backs to make a single cut into the open gaps. And stunting the DL on running plays is ludicrous. I swear it was as if green Bay knew exactly which linemen were stunting on any given play.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Whether you call him a o tech, a nose tackle, a defensive lineman, a 1 tech, or a down lineman, it's not the position the Cowboys need, it's the player.

Aaron Donald is considered the best DT in the league, and he's well under 300 lbs. But he has POWER. Power is strength PLUS speed. A 280 lb person moving at 10 mph is just as powerful as a 330 lb person moving 8.5 mph.

Don't care if our DTs are 300 lbs or 350 lbs, if they can rush the passer and make run stops, that's who I want. But it ain't easy to find them. Problem is the Cowboys have never tried to find them, sure they get some guys who are well over 300 lbs, but they don't have the quickness and/or strength as well. Or they have the quickness like Irving, but aren't even close to 300 lbs, you do have to have some size, for durability and endurance if nothing else....
When the DT takes himself out of the play due to assignments, the margin for error for LBs becomes zero.

If the LBs recognize plays instantly they can make the play but no LB will make the perfect decision every time.

Technically, if the LB makes the wrong decision, he is at fault.

The DT played his assignment and is not technically at fault.

It was the scheme that took the DT outside the hash marks.

It was the scheme that make the margin of error for Vander Esch basically zero.

They have plenty of talent at both LB and DT. Belichick could win Super Bowls with the Cowboys defensive roster.

Please stop spreading fake analysis.

Creeper

Reaction score
I was thinking (always a mistake) but would they be better off with Sean Lee switching spots with Jaylon Smith? On the plays where Smith would come out, he would move to back inside and Lee comes out. This utilizes Lee's better football instincts and recognition skills. I know they are trying to protect him, but honestly, he is not that great where he is playing now. He misses a lot of tackles and looks uncomfortable. If he gets hurt at MLB, then he sits and Thomas comes in and I don't think they would be worse off than they are now.

Verdict

Reaction score
I was thinking (always a mistake) but would they be better off with Sean Lee switching spots with Jaylon Smith? On the plays where Smith would come out, he would move to back inside and Lee comes out. This utilizes Lee's better football instincts and recognition skills. I know they are trying to protect him, but honestly, he is not that great where he is playing now. He misses a lot of tackles and looks uncomfortable. If he gets hurt at MLB, then he sits and Thomas comes in and I don't think they would be worse off than they are now.

They just need to put Sean Lee out to pasture and get it over with. Him and Shaun Lee too.