Russell Wilson (Samson) and his Delilah?

T-RO

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is in the news big time. Before we get to that...some background and musings.

Russell Wilson is a man of deep faith. Serving God is Priority One. Didn't have a sip of alcohol until he was 21 and doesn't drink much now. Active in the community, he seemingly always says and does the right thing. Never seemed to complain or criticize. His values are humility, service, and seeking goals beyond this world. He purportedly practiced celibacy before marrying musical artist Ciara. I respect him and his values, truly.

His choice of a wife in Ciara made me wonder. She might be a very fine person (I've never heard otherwise) but like similar artists, she has enjoyed a much more worldly and sophisticated life-style prior to meeting Wilson. She's not short on "worldly" ambition, telling Cosmo magazine "No dream is too big. I want to be a billionaire." And it's worth noting that she certainly doesn't hesitate to deploy her obvious sex appeal to enhance her career. Nothing at all wrong here, but...

I'm viewing this from afar and totally indulging some conjecture. Does it seems like Wilson was taking a bit of an offramp from Priority One....or at least indulging a distraction with a wife who seemed to be driven by differing life objectives? Love and desire can sure do that to any of us, no?

I decided to file it away. How would Wilson's career evolve with Ciari at his side? Would he change? Would they find a way to join their strengths and meet up in values?

Ciara and Russell married in 2016. Little has changed in Wilson's play...he's still outstanding. No Samson-esque fall. Still strong, though no Super Bowl appearances (he had 2 in his first 4 seasons). Russell and the wife seem extremely happy and have had two babies together. And Wilson was just named NFL's Man of the Year.

Hmmm...but some unusual changes of character with Wilson. Few months back I heard Wilson speak of "his greatness"... which seemed very different from the formerly ever-humble man. And then this last week he publicly threw teammates under the bus and is apparently eager to escape Seattle.

I just can't help wondering about the power of a woman's words, esp. an ambitoius one with differing values. Things I imagine such a driven woman might say:
"It's so dreary and depressing here in Seattle." (her career would improve in New York, no?)
"You are the only reason this team wins at all."
"They are getting you killed and won't do a thing to fix it."
"You deserve better."
"I'm tired of this nonsense. Are you going to man up and do something?"

So yes, Russell Wilson is now in the news. One of many quarterbacks exploring new player power, and seeking their freedom to go elsewhere. And at his side, his lovely wife.

erod

Reaction score
He's headed to the Giants unless Jerry steps up and does something bold. She wants him in New York, but even the ding-dong Cowboys have a better roster to lure him.

T-RO

Reaction score
He's headed to the Giants unless Jerry steps up and does something bold. She wants him in New York, but even the ding-dong Cowboys have a better roster to lure him.

I have a hunch this won't end up enhancing Wilson's career or life. Same for Rogers if he pushes his way out. With Watson I have a bit more sympathy, as Texans do seem like dead end. Packers and Seahawks are far from lame, losing organizations.

After teams give up huge assets to just acquire these prized veteran QBs...will they be able to put good teams around them? And it's hard to see how Seattle could even trade Watson without deciding to totally tank for at least two years.

I don't envy men or women who marry star athletes, musicians or actors.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is in the news big time. Before we get to that...some background and musings.

Russell Wilson is a man of deep faith. Serving God is Priority One. Didn't have a sip of alcohol until he was 21 and doesn't drink much now. Active in the community, he seemingly always says and does the right thing. Never seemed to complain or criticize. His values are humility, service, and seeking goals beyond this world. He purportedly practiced celibacy before marrying musical artist Ciara. I respect him and his values, truly.

His choice of a wife in Ciara made me wonder. She might be a very fine person (I've never heard otherwise) but like similar artists, she has enjoyed a much more worldly and sophisticated life-style prior to meeting Wilson. She's not short on "worldly" ambition, telling Cosmo magazine "No dream is too big. I want to be a billionaire." And it's worth noting that she certainly doesn't hesitate to deploy her obvious sex appeal to enhance her career. Nothing at all wrong here, but...

I'm viewing this from afar and totally indulging some conjecture. Does it seems like Wilson was taking a bit of an offramp from Priority One....or at least indulging a distraction with a wife who seemed to be driven by differing life objectives? Love and desire can sure do that to any of us, no?

I decided to file it away. How would Wilson's career evolve with Ciari at his side? Would he change? Would they find a way to join their strengths and meet up in values?

Ciara and Russell married in 2016. Little has changed in Wilson's play...he's still outstanding. No Samson-esque fall. Still strong, though no Super Bowl appearances (he had 2 in his first 4 seasons). Russell and the wife seem extremely happy and have had two babies together. And Wilson was just named NFL's Man of the Year.

Hmmm...but some unusual changes of character with Wilson. Few months back I heard Wilson speak of "his greatness"... which seemed very different from the formerly ever-humble man. And then this last week he publicly threw teammates under the bus and is apparently eager to escape Seattle.

I just can't help wondering about the power of a woman's words, esp. an ambitoius one with differing values. Things I imagine such a driven woman might say:
"It's so dreary and depressing here in Seattle." (her career would improve in New York, no?)
"You are the only reason this team wins at all."
"They are getting you killed and won't do a thing to fix it."
"You deserve better."
"I'm tired of this nonsense. Are you going to man up and do something?"

So yes, Russell Wilson is now in the news. One of many quarterbacks exploring new player power, and seeking their freedom to go elsewhere. And at his side, his lovely wife.
I think it is a huge assumption to think Ciara's private life/personality match her public persona. I think it is laughable that you question the motives of somebody's marriage without knowing any details of it. You entire post is pure conjecture and I don't understand the point of posting it.

T-RO

Reaction score
I think it is a huge assumption to think Ciara's private life/personality match her public persona. I think it is laughable that you question the motives of somebody's marriage without knowing any details of it. You entire post is pure conjecture and I don't understand the point of posting it.

I said nothing negative about Russell or Ciara...just that they seem to have different values/sensibilities. Wilson valued the idea of no pre-marital sex while Ciara was being photographed in nothing but body paint. Ciara repeatedly describes herself as extremely ambitious, while Wilson has historically been more humble and understated. I am personally agnostic so I don't believe I'm in any position to say his or her values are better. But they are most certainly different.

Husbands and wives are often different.

I think it's interesting to consider how wives and girlfriends influence players and coaches in the NFL. Cowboy fans had no hesitation in suggesting Jessica Simpson was impacting Romo in ways we didn't relish.

I suppose I do generally suppose that people who choose the Hobbit's way end up happier. Avoiding trappings of power, fame and big time $ leads to a happier life. But that's only my hunch, not a hard conviction.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I said nothing negative about Russell or Ciara...just that they seem to have different values/sensibilities. Wilson valued the idea of no pre-marital sex while Ciara was being photographed in nothing but body paint. Ciara repeatedly describes herself as extremely ambitious, while Wilson has historically been more humble and understated. I am personally agnostic so I don't believe I'm in any position to say his or her values are better. But they are most certainly different.

I think it's interesting to consider how wives and girlfriends influence players and coaches in the NFL. Cowboy fans had no hesitation in suggesting Jessica Simpson was impacting Romo in ways we didn't relish.

I suppose I do generally suppose that people who choose the Hobbit's way end up happier. Avoiding trappings of power, fame and big time $ leads to a happier life. But that's only my hunch, not a hard conviction.
Again, public persona's are usually different that in private. I would wager that Russell Wilson has an extremely large ego. I don't think you can succeed as an NFL QB if you don't think highly of yourself.

T-RO

Reaction score
Again, public persona's are usually different that in private. I would wager that Russell Wilson has an extremely large ego. I don't think you can succeed as an NFL QB if you don't think highly of yourself.

Egos grow anywhere people get massive attention: sports, entertainment, media, politics. Egos are also impacted by those around us, especially those close to us.

So at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Wilson's ego is "large." His words, actions sure seem to show a change in his personality.

This September:
Asked Friday by broadcaster Dan Patrick, “Do you think you’re the best quarterback in the NFL?” Wilson replied, “Do I think I’m the best quarterback in the NFL? I believe so, without a doubt.” *

Compare this to what he posted on twitter in 2016:
"Pride leads to destruction; humility leads to honor.
Proverbs 18:12"

* http://sportspressnw.com/2247236/2020/thiel-wilsons-so-done-with-the-humility-stuff

T-RO

Reaction score
Ray Roberts, an analyst for the Seahawks Radio Network--and former NFL offensive guard--was not happy about Wilson's comments. And he clearly was taken aback that something like this came out of Wilson's mouth.

“This, to me, is so out of character for how Russ tends to go about things and communicate,” he said. “To me, there’s a bigger thing at play here than him just trying to make sure that the offensive line is better, that he’s better protected. … There’s nothing about this that feels good, there’s nothing about this that sounds good, there’s nothing about this that looks good, and I don’t think anything good is going to come from it. I have no idea why someone thought that this was a good idea to do, and just because you have a smile on your face when you say it doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.”
Wilson's personality/character sure seems to be changing. Many things could account for it. You can guess what I think is factor #1. But to be clear: Ultimately Wilson is responsible for himself. He's been an amazing man and player. Hope that doesn't get spoiled.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1303698/ray-roberts-seahawks-russell-wilson-comments/

Last edited:

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
I haven’t heard much about his wife in the media, unless she has a new song out which is very rare.

T-RO

Reaction score
For those who understand...

From Lord of the Rings, Galadrial...speaking of the Ring:
"I do not deny that my heart has greatly desired this.
In place of a dark lord you would have a queen...All shall love me and despair."

Then, denying the Ring's seduction:
"I passed the Test.
I will diminish and go into the West...and remain Galadriel."

That's a Lady, Supreme. Honor for her as for the hobbits.

T-RO

Reaction score
As predicted it's already started...this from the news:

"While Chandler Jones is excited to have Watt join him on the Cardinals defensive line, Jones expressed some sympathy toward Wilson in what he has to face in the division.
Also feel bad for my guy RW3 lol,” Jones said in a tweet." *​

Defenders are never going to let Wilson forget about how "tired" he is of getting hit. He's going to get taunted endlessly.

And o-linemen on his current--and future teams--are going to less than enthused at the idea of blocking for him.

Runaway ambition and ego can ruin relationships, character, and careers. We've seen the career arc of Odell and Antonio Brown. Good news is that we can all get past it, and come back down to earth: insert Antonio Brown here again as example. AB is now using words like "grateful" and "humble"

Brown's latest words:
“I was excited and grateful for any opportunity I could have, if there was two plays, or 20 plays,” he said. “For me, it’s just staying ready. I don’t know how many plays I’m going to get. I don’t know when the moment is going to be the moment, I just prepare my mind to be positive and poised and be ready for all the outcomes.”

* Link:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...r-cardinals-addition-of-j-j-watt/?partner=MSN

Turk

Reaction score
How about realizing that Seattle is not the place he wants to be anymore? I personally think that from the moment Carol let his ego over ride common sense on that last play of the SB, Russel Wilson started to feel dissatisfied there. And as an elite QB in the NFL he expects the team management to work hard to protect him and they have not.

Seems more likely then your truly WAY OUT THERE biblical speculation.

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
I
How about realizing that Seattle is not the place he wants to be anymore? I personally think that from the moment Carol let his ego over ride common sense on that last play of the SB, Russel Wilson started to feel dissatisfied there. And as an elite QB in the NFL he expects the team management to work hard to protect him and they have not.

Seems more likely then your truly WAY OUT THERE biblical speculation.
It's easier to just blame women I guess.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

People don’t change over time?

What have you seen Ciara do since marrying Wilson?

T-RO

Reaction score
Michael Robinson played with Wilson in Seattle. Was a good friend and also a Seahawk team captain. Here are some of Robinson's comments:

Re. getting hit, Robinson:
"What does being frustrated with being hit mean?? Because he can limit that by just letting the ball go on time. But we gotten so enamored with the backyard explosive plays. Ask Big Ben. At some point you have to beat the defense with getting the ball out."

Re. working with Coach Carroll, Robinson:
"That’s crazy if that is true! Trust me! There hasn’t been a bigger fan of RW. At least from my view."

Re. Wilson's actions, Robinson:
"Well...why throw out teams you would like to be traded to?? WHY. NAME. TEAMS??"
QB's are becoming like diva receivers. Manziel, Wentz, Haskins and what Wilson has lately become. Rogers too strikes me as whiny and weak. Aaron's ego sabatoges relationships w/teammates.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score
Russ needs to be out of that division. Let them beat up on each other. WON'T happen, but him in a Dallas Uni would make him super happy in a weak division where he would dominate. Problem will be, can we stop people from scoring? lol..

T-RO

Reaction score
Whether one pulls insights from ancient scriptures, the Greeks (Narcissus who loved the mirror, Icarus flight to the sun), or 20th century psychological tomes...I don't think Wilson's trajectory--professional or personal-- is headed for a pleasant landing.

Meanwhile Jerry Jones is a dying dragon with his lair of coin and Johnny Walker.

It won't surprise me if these two narratives somehow align. Just not in a happy way for fans.

I could *totally* be wrong. Perhaps Wilson wins 5 super bowls and Ciara achieves her stated aim of becoming a billionaire.

Last edited: