Russia invades Ukraine *** READ RULES IN POST 6 BEFORE POSTING ***

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt there was a single "expert" out there who could have predicted this (the almost complete failure of the Russian military) prior to the start of the campaign in February.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An interesting point to bring up...

At the beginning of the Russian intrusion into Ukraine there was drum-beat after drum-beat for the US/NATO to authorize and enforce a "no fly" zone over much of Ukraine.

There were several posts in this forum saying such a thing was necessary.

Here we are at day 199 of this event and how many times (especially since April) have we heard about Russian sorties within Ukraine?

Virtually none.

And we know why not.

The "no fly" zone was not necessary.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Russian_Ukraine_Meme.jpg

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The opening month of the war showed ominous signs for the Russian war effort: poor leadership, tactics, and morale. But they always had the advantage in quantity of weapons. Now that their stockpile is largely depleted, in part due to excellent targeting by the Ukrainians, the Russians are in an increasingly dire situation.

Hopefully the Russian military collapse accelerates and peace can be restored.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The opening month of the war showed ominous signs for the Russian war effort: poor leadership, tactics, and morale. But they always had the advantage in quantity of weapons. Now that their stockpile is largely depleted, in part due to excellent targeting by the Ukrainians, the Russians are in an increasingly dire situation.

Hopefully the Russian military collapse accelerates and peace can be restored.

While we may never know the full story I wouldn't be shocked to know the Pentagon had a big "hand" in designing this offensive.

And of course NATO supplied weaponry has had a big affect on the conflict.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I am afraid it is too one-sided; I could not imagine the Russians accepting anything like this.

I didn't read the entire article. Maybe it was written tongue-in-cheek.

Knowing Kasparov I’m sure it was serious.

It may depend on how desperate the Russians get to end the sanctions against them.

nobody

Reaction score
I am afraid it is too one-sided; I could not imagine the Russians accepting anything like this.

Then maybe Russia shouldn't have invaded Ukraine and expected the world to be okay with it.

Given what they did, those are reasonable demands to have the sanctions lifted.

Hoofbite

Reaction score

One-sided is the point. At the current pace, it might be the best choice they have.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One-sided is the point. At the current pace, it might be the best choice they have.
Maybe I am thinking too much about the art of negotiation, but i don't see Putin ever agreeing to those terms. As lame as it may sound, he needs, or will want, a "win".

Otherwise, I could envision Putin retaliating in a "scorched earth" manner.

Best case scenario is Putin is removed from office and the new government withdraws.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Maybe I am thinking too much about the art of negotiation, but i don't see Putin ever agreeing to those terms. As lame as it may sound, he needs, or will want, a "win".

Otherwise, I could envision Putin retaliating in a "scorched earth" manner.

Best case scenario is Putin is removed from office and the new government withdraws.

I agree, but he's not ever going to get a "win" at this point. This has dragged on for far too long and even a "victory" in this situation still makes Russia look incredibly weak. This is now into "paper tiger" territory.

triplets_93

Reaction score
On the sidelines of the SCO summit, Indian PM Narendra Modi met with Russian President Vladimir Putin. PM Modi told President Putin "Today's not an era for war".

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Interesting times in Russia at the moment.

Family and friends are reporting a steady stream of "draft" eligible young men are heading to the Kazakh and Finnish borders to avoid conscription.

Rumors abound that the west's focus (meaning, primarily, the US) is more about regime change in Russia rather than simply aiding Ukraine.

The more Putin and his supporters are backed in a corner, the more dangerous and volatile this becomes.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Interesting times in Russia at the moment.

Family and friends are reporting a steady stream of "draft" eligible young men are heading to the Kazakh and Finnish borders to avoid conscription.

Rumors abound that the west's focus (meaning, primarily, the US) is more about regime change in Russia rather than simply aiding Ukraine.

The more Putin and his supporters are backed in a corner, the more dangerous and volatile this becomes.

I am so puzzled as to why the Russian people don’t rise up, or the elites don’t overthrow Putin ? They can’t kill everybody can they ? In other countries, even Iran, people do mass demonstrations to try to challenge the rulers.

It’s obvious and disgusting that Putin and his cronies have stolen all the money and it leaves the country and military in a shambles. And to make up for the underfunded military due to Putin’s corruption, ordinary people are now being literally forced to be cannon foster and die.

It seems the Russian people either accept it or leave the country ? The Russian people are a great and courageous people based on their art, literature, and incredible valor in WW2. Can you help me understand?