Rusty's 3 year plan (Buckle Up)

blueblood70

Reaction score
Hi all, welcome to today's issue of Rusty's 3 year plan (buckle up). In this OP, I'm going to discuss my 3 year plan for getting the Cowboys back on track. Right, let's go!

• Firstly, we need to address coaching (and ones that can work with Jerry.....easier said than done). I'd say I'd want Vrabel, but who knows if he works well with Jerry. That said, hey, this is my plan, so, I'd go with either him or Rivera as DC who can become HC next season. I throw in Rivera because that's probably who's the likeliest option to be DC and future HC here. I'm okay with this because we need to be more physical. Either option should make us more physical. This is important for our defence. Plus, Rivera is good at defences. I do not have a problem with either option.
  • Next, I sign Dak to a 4 year deal with an out after year 2 or 3. This allows us to cut or trade him after year 2 or 3. This allows us to bring down his $59 mil cap hit and gives us a way out after a short time.
  • Extend CeeDee, Parsons, and Biadzs. This is pretty obvious.
  • Sign the best linebacker or NT available in FA. I'd also sign a top corner (unless we also keep Gilmore). This takes care of a few big weaknesses entering the draft.
  • Draft (mock drafts coming right after the Super Bowl) a LB, RB, OL (later in draft if Tyron Smith doesn't retire) and NT. This should allow us to stop the run and run the ball effectively next season. These will be vital to have any success next year. Our opponents (besides our division rivals) consist of the following: Houston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and San Francisco. If we cannot run the ball and stop the run effectively, we will probably not even win 5 games with this schedule.
Assuming moderate success, the Cowboys probably go about 9-8 and lose in the WC round (Washington wins the division in a fluke) to say......Detroit.

2025 (Cowboys have a mid/late first round pick, call it the 23rd pick)
  • Vrabel or Rivera take over HC.
  • WCO/TCO-friendly OC brought in.
  • Dak is in one of two possible out years. This past season was disappointing, but we did make the playoffs. We controlled the ball better. So, let's keep him one more year, but, his replacement will be needed. As for Trey Lance.....numbers game. Lance traded to Minnesota for a 4th round pick.
  • Tyron Smith retires
  • Sign best available tackle to replace Tyron Smith.
  • Draft QB round 1 to sit behind Dak for one year, then get another WR along with a CB.
Cowboys go 11-6 (Philly wins division) and Cowboys go to division round losing to San Francisco (who lose to Detroit in NFCC)

2026 (Cowboys have 26th pick)
  • Nice little jump, should be able to get better. Next QB is ready to start. Dallas trades Dak to Denver for 1st round pick, 13th pick) to use out.
  • To help new QB, the Cowboys sign a guard. In part, because Zach Martin is close to retirement, and this guard will be the replacement for Martin. Also, another linebacker is signed because LVE retires.
  • Gallup leaves in FA.
  • In draft, the Cowboys use one of the firsts on the best WR available to replace Gallup, and the Cowboys take a safety. Oh, and Cowboys, with this draft, shift to more of a 3-4 base to try to take advantage of DO's and Parsons strengths. So, the Cowboys also draft another NT and a DE this draft to create a rotation. This makes the Cowboys offense even deadlier because the defence is almost impenetrable.
  • Cowboys go 13-4 and win SB over the Chiefs.
This is the scenario that I'd want if it were up to me. This would be my 3 year plan. What say you? What would your 3 year plan be?
Is there really a three-year plan I mean I thought we were all in and really this is a year to year league just like it's really a week to week season we see teams all over the place go on losing streaks win streaks nothing's ever consistent you can't predict much so why don't we just stay in 2024??

• Firstly, we need to address coaching (and ones that can work with Jerry.....easier said than done). I'd say I'd want Vrabel, but who knows if he works well with Jerry. That said, hey, this is my plan, so, I'd go with either him or Rivera as DC who can become HC next season. I throw in Rivera because that's probably who's the likeliest option to be DC and future HC here. I'm okay with this because we need to be more physical. Either option should make us more physical. This is important for our defence. Plus, Rivera is good at defences. I do not have a problem with either option.
  • Next, I sign Dak to a 4 year deal with an out after year 2 or 3. This allows us to cut or trade him after year 2 or 3. This allows us to bring down his $59 mil cap hit and gives us a way out after a short time. as much as I think we should keep Prescott I think that he needs to be in approve it year with Mike McCarthy and somehow we need to find a way to absorb his cap hit this year and just roll with it...
  • Extend CeeDee, Parsons, and Biadzs. This is pretty obvious. I don't think Tyler be honest is that obvious I think we might be able to roll with Hoffman at center or draft a center but yes CD Lam and Micah Parsons probably need to be extended if they don't hold out and we have to put the franchise tag or the 5th year options on them we'll find out if they're really upset at the team or not and wanna go elsewhere there's a lot of rumors swirling around.....
  • Sign the best linebacker or NT available in FA. I'd also sign a top corner (unless we also keep Gilmore). This takes care of a few big weaknesses entering the draft. Yes we need that either in free agency or the draft, these are needs and high priority holes to fill for sure....
  • Draft (mock drafts coming right after the Super Bowl) a LB, RB, OL (later in draft if Tyron Smith doesn't retire) and NT. This should allow us to stop the run and run the ball effectively next season. These will be vital to have any success next year. Our opponents (besides our division rivals) consist of the following: Houston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and San Francisco. If we cannot run the ball and stop the run effectively, we will probably not even win 5 games with this schedule. I think most of us are already pretty aware of all these options and needs and things we're gonna need to do so I hope the front office and the coaching staff sees it that way but the draft and free agency aren't perfect you could pay bring in some big names and it could just fall flat you know like a dream team......
Assuming moderate success, the Cowboys probably go about 9-8 and lose in the WC round (Washington wins the division in a fluke) to say......Detroit. That's a pretty big assumption and the fact is this staff and most of these players have won 36 games over the last three years...
I guess if we're looking for a drop off it eventually was gonna happen I guess this would be the year and at that you know Mike McCarthy's gone and I hope it is vrabel I'm not sure I want Rivera the head coach in waiting... There's some guys coming off some of the better teams like Detroit and others that passed up on head coaching positions this year that those are the young guys I'm going after next year if that scenario is what happens or worse we don't make the playoffs at 9:00 and 8:00 it's possible..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
To me, it's a deal that is almost a sandwich-type deal. I'd probably do a 4 year $55 mil deal with about $35-40 guaranteed. It'd have a decent hit at the start, be rather team friendly in 2025 allowing us to have the ability to move on from him, be a bit team friendly but with more due to him in 2026 (still allowing us to move on from him if needed, or assuming we restructure the deal in 2025, it can still work for us to have an exit point here), and have a rather massive hit the last year. Doing so gives him one last good payday (given his age), and gives us a potential exit if needed.
If you offered that to Dak, France'll tell you, what's the point he's already got $34m guaranteed in 2024 from the existing contract.

Big D

Reaction score
Hi all, welcome to today's issue of Rusty's 3 year plan (buckle up). In this OP, I'm going to discuss my 3 year plan for getting the Cowboys back on track. Right, let's go!

• Next, I sign Dak to a 4 year deal with an out after year 2 or 3. This allows us to cut or trade him after year 2 or 3. This allows us to bring down his $59 mil cap hit and gives us a way out after a short time.
  • Sign the best linebacker or NT available in FA. I'd also sign a top corner (unless we also keep Gilmore). This takes care of a few big weaknesses entering the draft.
  • Draft (mock drafts coming right after the Super Bowl) a LB, RB, OL (later in draft if Tyron Smith doesn't retire) and NT. This should allow us to stop the run and run the ball effectively next season. These will be vital to have any success next year. Our opponents (besides our division rivals) consist of the following: Houston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and San Francisco. If we cannot run the ball and stop the run effectively, we will probably not even win 5 games with this schedule.
Assuming moderate success, the Cowboys probably go about 9-8 and lose in the WC round (Washington wins the division in a fluke) to say......Detroit.

• Dak is in one of two possible out years. This past season was disappointing, but we did make the playoffs. We controlled the ball better. So, let's keep him one more year, but, his replacement will be needed. As for Trey Lance.....numbers game. Lance traded to Minnesota for a 4th round pick.
  • Tyron Smith retires
  • Draft QB round 1 to sit behind Dak for one year, then get another WR along with a CB.
Cowboys go 11-6 (Philly wins division) and Cowboys go to division round losing to San Francisco (who lose to Detroit in NFCC)

• Nice little jump, should be able to get better. Next QB is ready to start. Dallas trades Dak to Denver for 1st round pick, 13th pick) to use out.
  • To help new QB, the Cowboys sign a guard. In part, because Zach Martin is close to retirement, and this guard will be the replacement for Martin. Also, another linebacker is signed because LVE retires.
  • Gallup leaves in FA.
  • In draft, the Cowboys use one of the firsts on the best WR available to replace Gallup, and the Cowboys take a safety. Oh, and Cowboys, with this draft, shift to more of a 3-4 base to try to take advantage of DO's and Parsons strengths. So, the Cowboys also draft another NT and a DE this draft to create a rotation. This makes the Cowboys offense even deadlier because the defence is almost impenetrable.
This is the scenario that I'd want if it were up to me. This would be my 3 year plan. What say you? What would your 3 year plan be?
I agree and think you're spot on with everything except Biadasz. I think with McClays track record we can upgrade there easily. With coaching I'd like to try out some new blood but anyone with a more physical approach and philosophy is the key. I hope I see moves with OL and LB in the draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
To me, it's a deal that is almost a sandwich-type deal. I'd probably do a 4 year $55 mil deal with about $35-40 guaranteed. It'd have a decent hit at the start, be rather team friendly in 2025 allowing us to have the ability to move on from him, be a bit team friendly but with more due to him in 2026 (still allowing us to move on from him if needed, or assuming we restructure the deal in 2025, it can still work for us to have an exit point here), and have a rather massive hit the last year. Doing so gives him one last good payday (given his age), and gives us a potential exit if needed.
France is going to put them into a situation where they will need to not extend him at all if they don’t make him the highest paid QB at the time the deal is signed.

For me Jerrys comments were clear….we aren’t getting what we are paying him for so he needs to work with them so they can add the pieces he needs around him.

Unless Dak steps in and insists on a discount (which I highly suggest doing if I’m him because his legacy is garbage and he has more money than he would ever need), France is going to see that as their problem, and knows they can’t operate as they wish without a restructure.

They are in an awful spot and they did it to themselves.

Prescott, for all his misgivings, would get a record contract on the FA market. Too many teams are desperate to get to where the Cowboys currently are.

Rayman70

Reaction score
No offense, Rusty, but the 3 year plan feels a bit like, "business as usual".

The older I get, the more inclined I am to tear it all down and start over. I am thinking, hire Yondu and his whistling arrow from Guardians of the Galaxy and let nature take its course.
would said 3 year plan be operating under the rule of Dog years? Because thats what we seen . Rusty, I admire your train of thought man.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Mine:
Sell the franchise, move it to Mexico.
And pay the players the same numerical amount, but in pesos.... that would get us under the cap. Let Carlos Slim open his wallet and pay for the best coaches and players money can buy. He could buy Jerry 10x over.

BTW, the OP does have one good point, this rebuild is gonna take several years to accomplish. You can't clean up this mess and stink Jerry has created all these years in one swipe. Sit on the can and buckle up would be right. LOL, come to think of it, a seatbelt for the toilet would be quite a suitable gift for Jerry on his yacht.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
If you're keeping Dak, why extend ANYONE? To keep a nucleus that can't get it done?

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
Lets move it to Nova Scotia. Let Julian and the trailer park Boys have a crack at it. It can't be any worse.
tumblr_o0clvfEwaV1v0lf1io1_500.gif
My home town. Yeah baby!! Bubbles for OC

Verdict

Reaction score

• Tyron Smith retires

• Gallup leaves in FA.
The single best move that the Cowboys could make would be extend Dak to a reasonable deal (removing the no trade clause) with very little signing bonus and a roster bonus due at the start of the season. Then ship Dak out for multiple picks before the season starts to the highest bidder. If that can be done predraft, even better.

malbis030347

Reaction score

• Tyron Smith retires

• Gallup leaves in FA.
this makes too much sense for the front office to even consider....lol

GMO415

Reaction score

• Tyron Smith retires

• Gallup leaves in FA.
2025 Rivera HC?

I'll tear up my 54 year fan card.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Is there really a three-year plan I mean I thought we were all in and really this is a year to year league just like it's really a week to week season we see teams all over the place go on losing streaks win streaks nothing's ever consistent you can't predict much so why don't we just stay in 2024??

• Next, I sign Dak to a 4 year deal with an out after year 2 or 3. This allows us to cut or trade him after year 2 or 3. This allows us to bring down his $59 mil cap hit and gives us a way out after a short time. as much as I think we should keep Prescott I think that he needs to be in approve it year with Mike McCarthy and somehow we need to find a way to absorb his cap hit this year and just roll with it...
  • Extend CeeDee, Parsons, and Biadzs. This is pretty obvious. I don't think Tyler be honest is that obvious I think we might be able to roll with Hoffman at center or draft a center but yes CD Lam and Micah Parsons probably need to be extended if they don't hold out and we have to put the franchise tag or the 5th year options on them we'll find out if they're really upset at the team or not and wanna go elsewhere there's a lot of rumors swirling around.....
  • Sign the best linebacker or NT available in FA. I'd also sign a top corner (unless we also keep Gilmore). This takes care of a few big weaknesses entering the draft. Yes we need that either in free agency or the draft, these are needs and high priority holes to fill for sure....
  • Draft (mock drafts coming right after the Super Bowl) a LB, RB, OL (later in draft if Tyron Smith doesn't retire) and NT. This should allow us to stop the run and run the ball effectively next season. These will be vital to have any success next year. Our opponents (besides our division rivals) consist of the following: Houston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and San Francisco. If we cannot run the ball and stop the run effectively, we will probably not even win 5 games with this schedule. I think most of us are already pretty aware of all these options and needs and things we're gonna need to do so I hope the front office and the coaching staff sees it that way but the draft and free agency aren't perfect you could pay bring in some big names and it could just fall flat you know like a dream team......
Assuming moderate success, the Cowboys probably go about 9-8 and lose in the WC round (Washington wins the division in a fluke) to say......Detroit. That's a pretty big assumption and the fact is this staff and most of these players have won 36 games over the last three years...
I guess if we're looking for a drop off it eventually was gonna happen I guess this would be the year and at that you know Mike McCarthy's gone and I hope it is vrabel I'm not sure I want Rivera the head coach in waiting... There's some guys coming off some of the better teams like Detroit and others that passed up on head coaching positions this year that those are the young guys I'm going after next year if that scenario is what happens or worse we don't make the playoffs at 9:00 and 8:00 it's possible..

I'm fine with Dak being in a prove it year, but can we extend Lamb, Parsons, and Biadsz with his cap hit? I think those are three crucial deals that need doing. I think the sooner we do them, the cheaper they'll be. I hope the FO sees the weaknesses that we see. Otherwise, 2024 will be a long season. Vrabel and Rivera seem to be the best options currently available, but perhaps there will be someone next year we don't know about that pops up.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I agree and think you're spot on with everything except Biadasz. I think with McClays track record we can upgrade there easily. With coaching I'd like to try out some new blood but anyone with a more physical approach and philosophy is the key. I hope I see moves with OL and LB in the draft.

The problem is, I'm not sure we have enough draft picks to replace Biadsz. That's why I would want to extend him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
France is going to put them into a situation where they will need to not extend him at all if they don’t make him the highest paid QB at the time the deal is signed.

For me Jerrys comments were clear….we aren’t getting what we are paying him for so he needs to work with them so they can add the pieces he needs around him.

Unless Dak steps in and insists on a discount (which I highly suggest doing if I’m him because his legacy is garbage and he has more money than he would ever need), France is going to see that as their problem, and knows they can’t operate as they wish without a restructure.

They are in an awful spot and they did it to themselves.

Prescott, for all his misgivings, would get a record contract on the FA market. Too many teams are desperate to get to where the Cowboys currently are.

I mean, if Todd France won't take the deal, then either June 1 Dak or eat the cap hit knowing he's getting replaced next season.