Rusty's 3 year plan (Buckle Up)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And pay the players the same numerical amount, but in pesos.... that would get us under the cap. Let Carlos Slim open his wallet and pay for the best coaches and players money can buy. He could buy Jerry 10x over.

BTW, the OP does have one good point, this rebuild is gonna take several years to accomplish. You can't clean up this mess and stink Jerry has created all these years in one swipe. Sit on the can and buckle up would be right. LOL, come to think of it, a seatbelt for the toilet would be quite a suitable gift for Jerry on his yacht.

True, but, depending on how we play it, the rebuild can be long or short. The shortest way, imo, is to try to find a way to have a deal with Dak that can have an exit early in the deal if we find a replacement QB in next year's draft. But, with how Jerry does it, he might not be alive by the time the rebuild should be finished.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
2025 Rivera HC?

I'll tear up my 54 year fan card.

I'd prefer Vrabel or an unexpected coach, but I think a defencive coach of some sort might be due. We've done offense the last two. Let's try something with defence.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
True, but, depending on how we play it, the rebuild can be long or short. The shortest way, imo, is to try to find a way to have a deal with Dak that can have an exit early in the deal if we find a replacement QB in next year's draft. But, with how Jerry does it, he might not be alive by the time the rebuild should be finished.
There is no real way to find a SHORT extension with a way out, due to, a) current deferred bonus b) that would mean Dak/France losing their leverage (which is all in their favour atm).
I'd think France, looking at Jerry's age, is looking at the opposite to your plan, a Hurts length contract to kick the CAP can via a Signing Bonus, ....again the problems are a) Hurts took a 'discount' b) Hurts was starting off with a clean CAP hit, where as we gave to incorporate Daks existing deferrments.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Extending Dak is basically the same as admiting that you have no real interest in winning anything. Cut him or trade him. There is nothing of value to be gained by keeping him around on the roster to continue sucking.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
(Buckle Up) jerry said for you to buckle up. He's getting ready to school the NFL again.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There is no real way to find a SHORT extension with a way out, due to, a) current deferred bonus b) that would mean Dak/France losing their leverage (which is all in their favour atm).
I'd think France, looking at Jerry's age, is looking at the opposite to your plan, a Hurts length contract to kick the CAP can via a Signing Bonus, ....again the problems are a) Hurts took a 'discount' b) Hurts was starting off with a clean CAP hit, where as we gave to incorporate Daks existing deferrments.
If that's the view of Todd France, then the options that Jerry, thinking about his age, should do is either June 1 Dak or let him play out the contract this year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Extending Dak is basically the same as admiting that you have no real interest in winning anything. Cut him or trade him. There is nothing of value to be gained by keeping him around on the roster to continue sucking.

Unless you can give yourself an out during the contract where you can move on from him within the first two years. This allows you to sign the key players, get a replacement ready, and move on from Dak with that out.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Unless you can give yourself an out during the contract where you can move on from him within the first two years. This allows you to sign the key players, get a replacement ready, and move on from Dak with that out.
How are you going to give yourself an out within the first two years? The numbers you used in your scenario seem extremely unrealistic. Why would Dak accept a deal that pays him well below his perceived worth with a fraction of the guaranteed money that is typical of a new QB contract?

There are only two options when it comes to Dak. Let him play out the final year of his contract, take the hit and wave goodbye, or give him a new contract backloading the cap hit and take another couple shots at it knowing that you're going to face the same cap hit hell in three or four years.

I'd be all for it if you could get Dak to accept your terms but no way in hell is that going to happen. Not. A. Chance.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How are you going to give yourself an out within the first two years? The numbers you used in your scenario seem extremely unrealistic. Why would Dak accept a deal that pays him well below his perceived worth with a fraction of the guaranteed money that is typical of a new QB contract?

There are only two options when it comes to Dak. Let him play out the final year of his contract, take the hit and wave goodbye, or give him a new contract backloading the cap hit and take another couple shots at it knowing that you're going to face the same cap hit hell in three or four years.

I'd be all for it if you could get Dak to accept your terms but no way in hell is that going to happen. Not. A. Chance.

Then, if he won't accept it, let him play out the final year and draft a QB next year. Chances are, we are going to struggle to win 5-6 games this year as we are anemic at stopping the run. That should net us a top 10 pick.

Mannix

Reaction score
Hi all, welcome to today's issue of Rusty's 3 year plan (buckle up). In this OP, I'm going to discuss my 3 year plan for getting the Cowboys back on track. Right, let's go!

• Firstly, we need to address coaching (and ones that can work with Jerry.....easier said than done). I'd say I'd want Vrabel, but who knows if he works well with Jerry. That said, hey, this is my plan, so, I'd go with either him or Rivera as DC who can become HC next season. I throw in Rivera because that's probably who's the likeliest option to be DC and future HC here. I'm okay with this because we need to be more physical. Either option should make us more physical. This is important for our defence. Plus, Rivera is good at defences. I do not have a problem with either option.
  • Next, I sign Dak to a 4 year deal with an out after year 2 or 3. This allows us to cut or trade him after year 2 or 3. This allows us to bring down his $59 mil cap hit and gives us a way out after a short time.
  • Extend CeeDee, Parsons, and Biadzs. This is pretty obvious.
  • Sign the best linebacker or NT available in FA. I'd also sign a top corner (unless we also keep Gilmore). This takes care of a few big weaknesses entering the draft.
  • Draft (mock drafts coming right after the Super Bowl) a LB, RB, OL (later in draft if Tyron Smith doesn't retire) and NT. This should allow us to stop the run and run the ball effectively next season. These will be vital to have any success next year. Our opponents (besides our division rivals) consist of the following: Houston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and San Francisco. If we cannot run the ball and stop the run effectively, we will probably not even win 5 games with this schedule.
Assuming moderate success, the Cowboys probably go about 9-8 and lose in the WC round (Washington wins the division in a fluke) to say......Detroit.

2025 (Cowboys have a mid/late first round pick, call it the 23rd pick)
  • Vrabel or Rivera take over HC.
  • WCO/TCO-friendly OC brought in.
  • Dak is in one of two possible out years. This past season was disappointing, but we did make the playoffs. We controlled the ball better. So, let's keep him one more year, but, his replacement will be needed. As for Trey Lance.....numbers game. Lance traded to Minnesota for a 4th round pick.
  • Tyron Smith retires
  • Sign best available tackle to replace Tyron Smith.
  • Draft QB round 1 to sit behind Dak for one year, then get another WR along with a CB.
Cowboys go 11-6 (Philly wins division) and Cowboys go to division round losing to San Francisco (who lose to Detroit in NFCC)

2026 (Cowboys have 26th pick)
  • Nice little jump, should be able to get better. Next QB is ready to start. Dallas trades Dak to Denver for 1st round pick, 13th pick) to use out.
  • To help new QB, the Cowboys sign a guard. In part, because Zach Martin is close to retirement, and this guard will be the replacement for Martin. Also, another linebacker is signed because LVE retires.
  • Gallup leaves in FA.
  • In draft, the Cowboys use one of the firsts on the best WR available to replace Gallup, and the Cowboys take a safety. Oh, and Cowboys, with this draft, shift to more of a 3-4 base to try to take advantage of DO's and Parsons strengths. So, the Cowboys also draft another NT and a DE this draft to create a rotation. This makes the Cowboys offense even deadlier because the defence is almost impenetrable.
  • Cowboys go 13-4 and win SB over the Chiefs.
This is the scenario that I'd want if it were up to me. This would be my 3 year plan. What say you? What would your 3 year plan be?
I give you props for the effort, but I instantly quit reading at Rivera at DC and eventual HC…I can’t possibly dream up a worse idea.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If that's the view of Todd France, then the options that Jerry, thinking about his age, should do is either June 1 Dak or let him play out the contract this year.
Jerry's comments sound like a plea to France, (via the media), to at least come to a 'compromise' and lessen up on money or a length of contract that suits the Cowboys.
I would think an alternative angle of persuasion, from Jerry to try, would be....ok, we'll take the full hit in 2024, we won't have the CAP to improve the line, nor roster and we will go BPA in the draft (even if its Defense)....good luck Dak, hope your form and health maintains with a much inferior roster.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you're planning to dump McCarthy after going 9-8 with him then you might as well dump Dak now, eat the cap hit, and turn things over the Trey Lance. McCarthy is not bad with QBs (minus Ben DiNucci) so maybe he can raise Lance's value or even turn him into something to keep. Lance could get the team to around .500 just the same as Dak could in your model. See about moving a piece or two to maybe jump up for another QB in this draft and go into next season with Lance, a first rounder, and the giant cap hit from Dak. Trade one the the QBs the following season for as many picks as possible.

P.S. I am not anti or pro Dak.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Then, if he won't accept it, let him play out the final year and draft a QB next year. Chances are, we are going to struggle to win 5-6 games this year as we are anemic at stopping the run. That should net us a top 10 pick.
The problem with playing Dak out against the existing $59m is whether he/we are capable of running it back, with the inferior roster we'll have compared to 2023.
I suppose the argument is, if we're heading on him leaving after 2024 and drafting his replacement in 2025. Why not post June cut, save the $34m (which could be used at the in season deadline, ic we have a chance).
We'd play the season with Lance.....who'd either show promise, or he'll fail and get us that better pick for the QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm fine with Dak being in a prove it year, but can we extend Lamb, Parsons, and Biadsz with his cap hit? I think those are three crucial deals that need doing. I think the sooner we do them, the cheaper they'll be. I hope the FO sees the weaknesses that we see. Otherwise, 2024 will be a long season. Vrabel and Rivera seem to be the best options currently available, but perhaps there will be someone next year we don't know about that pops up.
You keep setting on this TylerB thing and most of us are telling you that is not a sure thing and I doubt they're keeping him if he asked too much you could put Hoffman in there right now and probably not do much worse, I mean that's how you can get better in the draft is get a new center or you know people didn't think that Connor Williams was any good here he was an average guard and people said move him to center and and fans said no way he can play center get rid of the guy and he started I'm one of the best offenses in the league last year so why even throw out the notion that say Hoffman could be turned into a good center... At least a bridge you get a rookie in here there are a lot of talk to Cowboys might pick a center in the first round I think they should go linebacker but if there's not one there centers gotta be high on the board if you don't wanna pay Tyler... He's a solid player but he's one of those guys that you probably don't pay big money because he's not so good that he's not replaceable....

The other two yes we probably gotta sign lamb and Parsons but first of all you could do 50 year options on those guys you can franchise tag them but you can set their contracts up say like the Sean Watson he only got like $11 million his first year and then it it grew big time as the years go on in the contract they're young enough where you can pay them very little their first two years to make up for Prescott and then they get big time escalators later on that's how you kick the can down the road... So just for 2024 if you sign one of those guys you just make their contract structure be you sign them for very little for 2024 and then it get pretty big in 2025 and then it get really big in 2026 and 2027 and beyond... How do you think some of these other teams do this like the Rams and the Eagles being all in they structure contracts like that some of them might be big in the first two years but others and most of them are big way down the road and they end up taking a huge cap hit if they have to cut those players and dead cap money later but that's how you manipulate the cap and it's not a popular thing to do but some teams have done it and if he is truly all in that is what you're gonna have to do....​
I mean it's just my opinion but Prescott's contract is gonna be in the 55 to $60 million a year range his new deal and you sign him to a big new deal and you try to spread some of that money out I mean it's probably gonna still be pretty big it's first year anyway I mean it's probably gonna be in that$50 million range no matter how you slice it it's gonna be big it doesn't seem like a lot more money just to take the big cap hit this year under his current contract...

Now the only downside with that that some people would see is possibly he being upset and he's gonna be a true free agent maybe he leaves maybe he gets the market up by having multiple bidders raise it up even bigger than it would be if we signed him now and we're not bidding against other people...​
I'm just saying I believe it would be better for the team for Mike McCarthy and Prescott to both be on one year deals and they need to prove it to stay and if not you're not passing along this quarterback onto another head coach and another staff that may not want him yeah if they want to move on this would be the best way to do it..​
who really knows what jerry meant by all e who really knows what jerry meant by all in..we are about to find out.​

blueblood70

Reaction score
If you're planning to dump McCarthy after going 9-8 with him then you might as well dump Dak now, eat the cap hit, and turn things over the Trey Lance. McCarthy is not bad with QBs (minus Ben DiNucci) so maybe he can raise Lance's value or even turn him into something to keep. Lance could get the team to around .500 just the same as Dak could in your model. See about moving a piece or two to maybe jump up for another QB in this draft and go into next season with Lance, a first rounder, and the giant cap hit from Dak. Trade one the the QBs the following season for as many picks as possible.

P.S. I am not anti or pro Dak.
UMM no you dont dump dak now, you have to wait and see how the season plays out. he becomes a FA IMHO the cap savings vs dead caps not worth it..9-8 isnt the goal and not set.. that why your windows open and let MM and Dak be tied together for prove it year. wanting to get bad on purpose going with lance than MM would NEVER had been kept.. makes zero sense..

if they were tanking the staff would have all been fired and yes dak get the June 1st cut.. not happening, get it out of your mind,
that ship sailed as soon as jerry announced MM is coming back and hes hoping to go ALL IN.. all in isn't getting rid of a top 5 MVP finalist QB..lmao.. it truly means one last shot to finish this off or move on.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You keep setting on this TylerB thing and most of us are telling you that is not a sure thing and I doubt they're keeping him if he asked too much you could put Hoffman in there right now and probably not do much worse, I mean that's how you can get better in the draft is get a new center or you know people didn't think that Connor Williams was any good here he was an average guard and people said move him to center and and fans said no way he can play center get rid of the guy and he started I'm one of the best offenses in the league last year so why even throw out the notion that say Hoffman could be turned into a good center... At least a bridge you get a rookie in here there are a lot of talk to Cowboys might pick a center in the first round I think they should go linebacker but if there's not one there centers gotta be high on the board if you don't wanna pay Tyler... He's a solid player but he's one of those guys that you probably don't pay big money because he's not so good that he's not replaceable....

The other two yes we probably gotta sign lamb and Parsons but first of all you could do 50 year options on those guys you can franchise tag them but you can set their contracts up say like the Sean Watson he only got like $11 million his first year and then it it grew big time as the years go on in the contract they're young enough where you can pay them very little their first two years to make up for Prescott and then they get big time escalators later on that's how you kick the can down the road... So just for 2024 if you sign one of those guys you just make their contract structure be you sign them for very little for 2024 and then it get pretty big in 2025 and then it get really big in 2026 and 2027 and beyond... How do you think some of these other teams do this like the Rams and the Eagles being all in they structure contracts like that some of them might be big in the first two years but others and most of them are big way down the road and they end up taking a huge cap hit if they have to cut those players and dead cap money later but that's how you manipulate the cap and it's not a popular thing to do but some teams have done it and if he is truly all in that is what you're gonna have to do....​
I mean it's just my opinion but Prescott's contract is gonna be in the 55 to $60 million a year range his new deal and you sign him to a big new deal and you try to spread some of that money out I mean it's probably gonna still be pretty big it's first year anyway I mean it's probably gonna be in that$50 million range no matter how you slice it it's gonna be big it doesn't seem like a lot more money just to take the big cap hit this year under his current contract...

Now the only downside with that that some people would see is possibly he being upset and he's gonna be a true free agent maybe he leaves maybe he gets the market up by having multiple bidders raise it up even bigger than it would be if we signed him now and we're not bidding against other people...​
I'm just saying I believe it would be better for the team for Mike McCarthy and Prescott to both be on one year deals and they need to prove it to stay and if not you're not passing along this quarterback onto another head coach and another staff that may not want him yeah if they want to move on this would be the best way to do it..​
who really knows what jerry meant by all e who really knows what jerry meant by all in..we are about to find out.​
I thought Hoffman looked pretty good. Same with Bass, but I wouldn’t start them both though, especially with a declining Martin.

I’d still invest this years top pick on an OL, and usually you can find one ready to play immediately in the 20s.

As far as “all-in,” I’d spend some FA dollars at DT. Not exactly breaking news, but let’s look…

They have recently used late picks (Bohanna, Ridgeway), mid rounders (Osi, Gallimore, Golston), and a high pick (Mazi).

They have brought in cheap FA (Urban, Watkins). It’s not as if they haven’t tried, they’ve just failed miserably.

The only thing they haven’t done is spend big FA dollars there. If Jerry wants to have a shot at winning in this life, it’s time.

Find the cap space. Other teams somehow do.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
UMM no you dont dump dak now, you have to wait and see how the season plays out. he becomes a FA IMHO the cap savings vs dead caps not worth it..9-8 isnt the goal and not set.. that why your windows open and let MM and Dak be tied together for prove it year. wanting to get bad on purpose going with lance than MM would NEVER had been kept.. makes zero sense..

if they were tanking the staff would have all been fired and yes dak get the June 1st cut.. not happening, get it out of your mind,
that ship sailed as soon as jerry announced MM is coming back and hes hoping to go ALL IN.. all in isn't getting rid of a top 5 MVP finalist QB..lmao.. it truly means one last shot to finish this off or move on.
I was just commenting on the OP’s 3-year plan and not really proposing one of my own.

To me it makes sense to extend McCarthy for as long as Dak’s inevitable extension is. Eat the contract if he ends up being fired, Jerry can afford it, but hold both QB and HC equally responsible for what happens going forward.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Hi all, welcome to today's issue of Rusty's 3 year plan (buckle up). In this OP, I'm going to discuss my 3 year plan for getting the Cowboys back on track. Right, let's go!

• Firstly, we need to address coaching (and ones that can work with Jerry.....easier said than done). I'd say I'd want Vrabel, but who knows if he works well with Jerry. That said, hey, this is my plan, so, I'd go with either him or Rivera as DC who can become HC next season. I throw in Rivera because that's probably who's the likeliest option to be DC and future HC here. I'm okay with this because we need to be more physical. Either option should make us more physical. This is important for our defence. Plus, Rivera is good at defences. I do not have a problem with either option.
  • Next, I sign Dak to a 4 year deal with an out after year 2 or 3. This allows us to cut or trade him after year 2 or 3. This allows us to bring down his $59 mil cap hit and gives us a way out after a short time.
  • Sign the best linebacker or NT available in FA. I'd also sign a top corner (unless we also keep Gilmore). This takes care of a few big weaknesses entering the draft.
  • Draft (mock drafts coming right after the Super Bowl) a LB, RB, OL (later in draft if Tyron Smith doesn't retire) and NT. This should allow us to stop the run and run the ball effectively next season. These will be vital to have any success next year. Our opponents (besides our division rivals) consist of the following: Houston, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Atlanta, Carolina, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Detroit, and San Francisco. If we cannot run the ball and stop the run effectively, we will probably not even win 5 games with this schedule.
Assuming moderate success, the Cowboys probably go about 9-8 and lose in the WC round (Washington wins the division in a fluke) to say......Detroit.

• Dak is in one of two possible out years. This past season was disappointing, but we did make the playoffs. We controlled the ball better. So, let's keep him one more year, but, his replacement will be needed. As for Trey Lance.....numbers game. Lance traded to Minnesota for a 4th round pick.
  • Tyron Smith retires
  • Draft QB round 1 to sit behind Dak for one year, then get another WR along with a CB.
Cowboys go 11-6 (Philly wins division) and Cowboys go to division round losing to San Francisco (who lose to Detroit in NFCC)

• Nice little jump, should be able to get better. Next QB is ready to start. Dallas trades Dak to Denver for 1st round pick, 13th pick) to use out.
  • To help new QB, the Cowboys sign a guard. In part, because Zach Martin is close to retirement, and this guard will be the replacement for Martin. Also, another linebacker is signed because LVE retires.
  • Gallup leaves in FA.
  • In draft, the Cowboys use one of the firsts on the best WR available to replace Gallup, and the Cowboys take a safety. Oh, and Cowboys, with this draft, shift to more of a 3-4 base to try to take advantage of DO's and Parsons strengths. So, the Cowboys also draft another NT and a DE this draft to create a rotation. This makes the Cowboys offense even deadlier because the defence is almost impenetrable.
This is the scenario that I'd want if it were up to me. This would be my 3 year plan. What say you? What would your 3 year plan be?
You had me until you wanted to extend Prescot's contract! That's a no go as far as A LOT of Cowboy Nation is concerned. Prescot was exposed again against the lowest seed in the playoffs! He's proven that he cannot get the job done so it's time to move on from him and his ridiculous meaningless stats! At this point I could careless is he took a 40 million dollar a year pay cut, he still is who he is and that's a less than mediocre, below average QB in meaningful games. The dude reminds me of a bag of pistachio nuts everything I walk by them in Costco, the nuts are all cracked open, with their sickly-looking green color!

Brax

Reaction score

• Tyron Smith retires

• Gallup leaves in FA.
So in a nutshell is pay Dak to keep losing in big games to avoid a one year cap hit. Me designate Dak. June 1 cut spread the hit start Lance and tell the “QB whisper “ MM SB or bust. It’s not hard, this way you know whether MM is worth retaining and you start again if it’s a failure. Jerry won’t do it so everything is mute