Twitter: S Malik Hooker to Visit Cowboys

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If Hooker is healthy and they use Neal in a hybrid LB role, these last two signings are better than the first few.

The swing OT signing wasn't too bad either. Yeah, he's old but he seems competent to fill in as an OT for a season more or two.

The DTs? Geezus, we never learn.
I get the DTs aren't huge names or the ones that folks wanted but they upgrade the run defense. Can't really hate that as overall the run defense was by far the weakness of the team.

exciter

Reaction score
thompson needs to be CUT so hes have to be on the street to bring back, 23 is number that all season stood out ie saw that back of the jersey chasing players all year..couldnt understand how HAHA got cut before a real game payed and that what played all year!!
And Hooker is liable to break his wrist brushing his teeth so unless you want 23 on the field it’s best to steer clear!

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This is what I figured had to happen......so taking the cheap approach makes sense but damn its ballsy.
I'm appreciating your balanced takes.
Looking at things with a squinty eye, but offering a smidge of hope.

I think you got it right.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I want Hooker.

So it's pretty much a lock we sign Kazee.

I'm willing to risk the injuries, his talent level is so much higher than any other Safety under consideration, including Trevon Moehrig in the draft (who I love). Hooker is only 24. A lot of people and Cowboys media like Richie Grant, the UCF Safety. He's already 23.

I don't hate Kazee, he's leaps and bounds better than the Darian Thompsons, Xavier Woods, and Jeff Heaths of the world. He just is kind of meh. Completion % against last 2 years was 75% and 65%, that is no bueno at all. Although looking at Hooker's it's not any better. To be fair to both of them, the Free Safeties aren't often "targeted" and I'm not even sure how people consistently grade that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
what happens if we sign both hooker and Kazee? How would that look in the back 7? It could happen. I worry about Wilson losing reps. Hes too good not to start. He brings swag and juice to that D. Without Wilson we lose that Minny game in 2020. He made BIG plays that average db's wouldnt.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Can Kazee move out corner? He is pretty fluid in his movement skills. A bit of a ball hawk. Lets not forget we have Reggie Robinson too.

Carson

Reaction score
Can Kazee move out corner? He is pretty fluid in his movement skills. A bit of a ball hawk. Lets not forget we have Reggie Robinson too.
He can play in the slot. Problem is, Lewis and Brown play in the slot

kumizi

Reaction score
This is what it has come to. We are excited about a guy that's coming off 3 major season ending injuries, the most recent being the worst injury in sports.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
what happens if we sign both hooker and Kazee? How would that look in the back 7? It could happen. I worry about Wilson losing reps. Hes too good not to start. He brings swag and juice to that D. Without Wilson we lose that Minny game in 2020. He made BIG plays that average db's wouldnt.
I doubt we will. The FO likes to sign a guy and then convince themselves it was the absolute right choice and don't even consider (SEE: Brett Maher; SEE ALSO: the trash we've gone into each season at Safety the past decade).

However, if they brought on both, they could both play with Hooker playing single high (he excels at this IMO) and the ex-Cornerback Kazee lining up at the other Safety but playing more of a Nickel role like the Honey Badger. Meaning Diggs outside, hopeful Farley or Surtain outside, Lewis or Brown in the slot on one side, and Kazee in the slot on the other side.

Two LB's are LVE and Keanu Neal, with Jaylon Smith off the field, or if Quinn wants to get creative, he can put Jaylon on the Edge and try to utilize him like he did with Beasley in Atlanta. Jaylon going straight ahead is decent, Jaylon going backwards is awful, and lately Jaylon going side-to-side has been pretty bad.

Obvious pass downs could look like this:
LCB Caleb Farley
Leftside Nickel Jourdan Lewis
Free Safety Malik Hooker
Rightside Nickel (or Strong Safety) Damontae Kazee
RCB Trevon Diggs

LLB Leighton Vander Esch
RLB Keanu Neal

LDE Jaylon Smith
LDT Demarcus Lawrence
RDT Carlos Watkins ( I Guess?), Trysten Hill or Neville Gallimore (I'd love Alim McNeil here)
RDE Randy Gregory

Basically, your 1Tech comes off the field and Jourdan Lewis comes on since Jaylon shifts from LB to Edge.

Now, in obvious run defense, you can do pull off Hooker (since the durability concerns), slide Kazee to Free, and then play D. WIlson at Strong, or if you like your 4th LB, slide Neal to Strong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's crazy how we always get former cripples in vet FA.

The fact that they come cheaply is, evidently, the key.

Pray for good fortune to follow. It's a gambling game.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I get the DTs aren't huge names or the ones that folks wanted but they upgrade the run defense. Can't really hate that as overall the run defense was by far the weakness of the team.

Going to draft a DT/NT & see if we can get Suh.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Before their Achilles injuries, both were good safeties. I've not kept up with how either of these players have rehabilitated so I just lack the info to know about these two. I know the Cowboys will do their due diligence and make the right decision on these two. I believe one of them will be our starting strong safety in 2021.

Sod, I hope you are wrong.
Either of the lads coming off Achilles injuries?
Those injuries are tough to overcome. I snapped me AT years ago and never recovered the old ability, either physiologically or psychologically. Blimey, that was an odd injury in so many respects.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Sod, I hope you are wrong.
Either of the lads coming off Achilles injuries?
Those injuries are tough to overcome. I snapped me AT years ago and never recovered the old ability, either physiologically or psychologically. Blimey, that was an odd injury in so many respects.
Today's technology and advancements in sports medicine have Achillies injury patience healing fast and rehabbing to full recovery.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Today's technology and advancements in sports medicine have Achillies injury patience healing fast and rehabbing to full recovery.
It is hardly ever a full recovery, physiologically or psychologically, friendo.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I want Hooker.

So it's pretty much a lock we sign Kazee.

I'm willing to risk the injuries, his talent level is so much higher than any other Safety under consideration, including Trevon Moehrig in the draft (who I love). Hooker is only 24. A lot of people and Cowboys media like Richie Grant, the UCF Safety. He's already 23.

I don't hate Kazee, he's leaps and bounds better than the Darian Thompsons, Xavier Woods, and Jeff Heaths of the world. He just is kind of meh. Completion % against last 2 years was 75% and 65%, that is no bueno at all. Although looking at Hooker's it's not any better. To be fair to both of them, the Free Safeties aren't often "targeted" and I'm not even sure how people consistently grade that.
I worry about Kazee's speed coming off an achilles more than Hookers. Kazee was always barely above the athletic threshold, if he cant regain enough he might be cooked.

He can play in the slot. Problem is, Lewis and Brown play in the slot

Definitely dont want him playing CB coming off an achilles