Saddest movie death

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Maximus' death scene in Gladiator, while not the saddest, is one of the most well done and memorable deaths in movie history IMO.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
SaltwaterServr;3983468 said:
Not necessarily Bruce Willis's death in Armageddon, but when the pilot of the shuttle says,

"Lt Colonel Willie Sharp ma'am. Requesting permission to shake the hand of the daughter of the bravest man I ever knew."

There weren't many dry eyes coming out of the theatre that afternoon.

Most of the others off the top of my list have already been mentioned.

Most memorable part of that movie IMO was Michael Clarke Duncan's character crying and saying "You the man Harry, you the man" as the asteroid blows up.

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Theo - Children of Men
Creasy - Man on Fire
multiple ones - House of Sand and Fog

FloridaRob

Reaction score
'The scene that gets me is Mrs. Ryan doing her dishes, looks up, sees the staff car, and freezes. You get to see the realization within her that the car is coming to tell her one of her sons is dead but as the viewer you know she's going to be hit with so much more. When she collapses on the porch, it stirs up a ton of dust in my living room'

This scene got me too. Such emotion without saying a word.

The Notebook when Maverick died with his wife.

Terms of Endearment when Debra Winger was talking to her son.

When the Champ in the Champ died.

Saw a movie recently with Richard Gere. Can't remember name but the dog would always go to the train station every morning with Gere for him to go work. Gere would come home from work and the dog would be waiting. Gere then died at work one day and never came home. The dog continued to go to the train station every day and wait for him to come home. The Dog finally dies. It was based on a true story.

McCauley in MyGirl. My son actually got married in the house where that movie was made.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
FloridaRob;3986035 said:
Saw a movie recently with Richard Gere. Can't remember name but the dog would always go to the train station every morning with Gere for him to go work. Gere would come home from work and the dog would be waiting. Gere then died at work one day and never came home. The dog continued to go to the train station every day and wait for him to come home. The Dog finally dies. It was based on a true story.

McCauley in MyGirl. My son actually got married in the house where that movie was made.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3406698&postcount=1652

tiny tim

Reaction score
Marina from 'The Little Mermaid' film that came out in 1975 in Japan (It came out in 1978 in the USA).

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
peplaw06;3984145 said:
I can never remember... did two socks die in dances with wolves? I always remember those soldiers shooting at him and Costner trying to stop them. But I haven't seen it in a while. That was a sad scene regardless.

Yeah, both of those heart-wrenching scenes with the golden palamino horse and two-socks. Instant tears the first time I saw it.

Another one, but not a death...

Crash - when the little girl gets "shot" by the shopkeeper.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
casmith07;3987823 said:
This. I cried like a small child, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

I did in the following scene when the present day Pvt. Ryan is at Arlington Cemetary and asks his wife if she is proud of him.

goliadmike

reader of rue
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3987888 said:
I did in the following scene when the present day Pvt. Ryan is at Arlington Cemetary and asks his wife if she is proud of him.

So did I.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Old_School_Blue_Mud_Wrestling%5B1%5D.jpg

http://i343.***BLOCKED***/albums/o472/gofer1985/eclipseinoldschool.jpg

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A lot of good ones in this thread that I would have listed as well.

Here are a few that are memorable for me.

The Boy In the Striped Pajamys: Final scene where the two young boys get gassed in the Chambers is a powerful scene.

From Here To Eternity: When Pruitt plays (Montgomery Clift) plays Taps after Maggio (Frank Sinatra) is beaten to death in the Stockade

Man On Fire: Final scene where Creasy (Danzel Washington) is trading himself for Pita (Dakota Fanning) on the bridge. He meets her in the middle, she runs to her mother and Creasy gets in the car and bleeds out.

Of Mice And Men: When George tells the story to Lennie, he tells him about how they have each other, how it's going to be for them, Lennie likes the story and while he is telling Lennie the story, he shots him in the back of the head.

Lonesome Dove: When Woodrow is with Gus on his death bed and he's asking him to do him the favor of laying him to rest in Texas. Really, that whole final episode, where he keeps his promise to Gus and and gives his watch to Knute, he gives the letters to Laurie and Clara and when he lays Gus to rest.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Aikmaniac;3987888 said:

That was the scene that got me in that movie

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Almost forgot Ellie in "Up."

http://img687.*************/img687/8610/41793316519100b3fe94.jpg

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Gus in Lonesome Dove. There isn't a close 2nd place.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
FloridaRob;3986043 said:
Hachi was the name.....

As someone else noted, Hachi is a real-life story, based on a dog in japan that famously waited for his deceased owner for like 8 or 9 years at the Shibuya train station. There's a statue there in his honor that has stood for 60 years or so, is a tourist attraction, and a ceremony is held there every year.

Also based on Hachi's story, and also one of the saddest film deaths, Fry's dog, Seymour, from Futurama.

[youtube]6uU7-X0iHes[/youtube]