Saddest movie death

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I didn't see any of these:

Mufasa in the 'Lion King'. Always gets to me.

Boromir in the 'Lord of the Rings'. (does Sean Bean live through anything)?

When they took the Dad away in 'Life is Beautiful'.

Macaulay Culkin in 'My Girl'

Willem Dafoe in 'Platoon'.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3983590 said:
Boromir in the 'Lord of the Rings'. (does Sean Bean live through anything)?

Wow, I wouldn't have seen this one coming. I was glad to see him go. He was mentally weak and a bit selfish. He needed to be snuffed out.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
bbgun;3983236 said:
Plenty of good choices, but I'll start with just four:

1) Leonard Nimoy - Wrath of Khan
2. Debra Winger - Terms of Endearment
3) Viggo Mortensen - The Road
4) Bambi's mother - Bambi

ninja;3983380 said:
I haven't seen any of these movies:)

Wow ninja, you need to watch all of those. They are all terrific movies.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3983524 said:
Saw that last week.

That was something that might sound cliche on paper but that kid is such a good actor he really made you feel what a soldier would be feeling in that scenario.
Ribisi's one of my favorites. He needs to be in more stuff.

Joe Rod;3983590 said:
(does Sean Bean live through anything)?
:laugh2:

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
tomson75;3983509 said:
Saving Private Ryan has several death scenes that have choke up potential. I think the one that gets me the most is when Giovanni Ribisi (the medic) gets hit trying to take that bunker...

"Mama...I wanna go home. I wanna go home Momma. I wanna go home"

That one gets me too. Giovanni is a great actor. I don't see how anyone can set through that movie and not get choked up at some point.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
nyc;3983595 said:
Wow, I wouldn't have seen this one coming. I was glad to see him go. He was mentally weak and a bit selfish. He needed to be snuffed out.

It has been a long time since I read all of the Tolkein books, but my memory of Boromir was that he was an honorable man that had fought and won wars in the name of Gondor. He saved the fellowship from freezing to death in the by advising they collect firewood prior to their climb in the mountains and helped Aragon push their way out through the snow when they turned back.

Boromir's weakness was his desperation to defend his people and his belief that the ring was better served in that role. He eventually realized the error of his ways and did the right thing in the end.

I can see where the movie certainly painted him in a bad light, though. :laugh2:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Joe Rod;3983622 said:
It has been a long time since I read all of the Tolkein books, but my memory of Boromir was that he was an honorable man that had fought and won wars in the name of Gondor. He saved the fellowship from freezing to death in the by advising they collect firewood prior to their climb in the mountains and helped Aragon push their way out through the snow when they turned back.

Boromir's weakness was his desperation to defend his people and his belief that the ring was better served in that role. He eventually realized the error of his ways and did the right thing in the end.

I can see where the movie certainly painted him in a bad light, though. :laugh2:

Yeah, funny thing. I read the books, but don't recall him in the books very much except in the beginning at Rivendell.

JohnnyHopkins

Reaction score
nyc;3983624 said:
Yeah, funny thing. I read the books, but don't recall him in the books very much except in the beginning at Rivendell.

His character was not developed as well as most (tell tale sign that he was going to die, I suppose). His purpose in going to Rivendale was to gain the means to defend his people and he was not as on board as the rest with destroying the ring when he felt it was what could be used to defend Gondor.

If you will remember in the books, he was the one who covered them in Moria when they escaped up until Gandolf told them that swords were of no more use.

His flaw was that he felt that the power of the ring could be used against Sauran to defeat him and this allowed him to slowly succumb to the ring's power.

I guess what some people see as arrogance in the book and movies I see as desperation to protect his people. I just felt bad for the dude when he asks Aragon to save his people because he no longer can.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Titanic - the rich, aristocratic couple holding each other in bed, or the people in third class resigned to their fate.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbgun;3983724 said:
Titanic - the rich, aristocratic couple holding each other in bed, or the people in third class resigned to their fate.

I prefer the musicians on deck. :eek::

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
American History X - the little brother
The Outsiders - Johnny

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Eskimo;3983467 said:
Many of you may not have heard of this movie. It is an animated feature from Japan circa 1998. It is called the "Grave of the Fireflies" and it centers around an orphan brother and sister in post-world war II japan who are kicked out of their aunt's place and try to fend for themselves. In the end the younger sister dies of starvation and the brother lives with the guilt of not having been able to take care of his sister. Truly one of the saddest things I have ever seen, especially considering the story was basically biographical.

I admit, I am an anime nerd and I watched that in college. It made all the "normal" girlfriends cry. It's one of the most depressing movies I think I have ever seen.

Eskimo

Reaction score
DIAF;3983909 said:
I admit, I am an anime nerd and I watched that in college. It made all the "normal" girlfriends cry. It's one of the most depressing movies I think I have ever seen.

Great movie, but very depressing - the collateral damage of war.