Safety is not priority number one in this draft

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Draft* even.... lol

The best NFL defenses, year in and year out, apply consistent pressure on the quarterback. The way a team beats a Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees is by forcing him to throw the ball earlier than desired or into an unfavorable direction.

If the Cowboys can stick to drafting and rebuilding their defensive front, and avoid the shiny penny that may be a safety with a high draft grade falling to them in the late teens, then I believe the defense can get back on track and drive to a playoff caliber season in 2014.

http://cover32.com/cowboys/2014/02/04/safety-is-not-priority-number-one-in-this-draft/

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am sure its a wild coincidence that Seattle has the best safety combo in the league.

conner01

Reaction score
they also have a great front 4. it's a unit that wins, not individual players or positions. you have to first pressure the qb

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I am sure its a wild coincidence that Seattle has the best safety combo in the league.

You're fooling yourself if you think anybody thought Kam Chancellor was any good before revisionist history hit this year. Kam Chancellor was a bum who was a head hunter and couldn't cover to save his *** until after Sunday. Get real.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
While I will not discount the absolute need for pass rushers, last season QB just had to throw the ball up for grabs when pressured. Safety play was that bad.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Seattle has an active front 4 but their secondary is what makes it special. While i would agree that the front 4 should be our priority right now, we still cant continue to play bums back there either because it is killing the pass defense. Cam Chancellor made 2 plays in the Super Bowl that no S in Dallas could've made since the days of Darren Woodson. And we already know Earl Thomas is the best in the league at that position. Forget the obvious physical strengths, the awareness and smarts those two play with in the middle of the field is off the charts.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
ote="cowboy_ron, post: 5439007, member: 32165"]The trenches should be priority[/quote]

Impact player should be the priority. That philosophy has binded us for years.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Yeah and the only one who was drafted high was thomas. All of the others were later round picks who just worked to be what they are. And probably some PEDs have played into that too lol.

reddyuta

Reaction score
You're fooling yourself if you think anybody thought Kam Chancellor was any good before revisionist history hit this year. Kam Chancellor was a bum who was a head hunter and couldn't cover to save his *** until after Sunday. Get real.

We got a SS who cannot anyone either,all we need is 2 Dts and we are good to go.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I and ever body else will take that former bum as opposed to the bums we already half.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
ote="cowboy_ron, post: 5439007, member: 32165"]The trenches should be priority

Impact player should be the priority. That philosophy has binded us for years.[/quote]

Would you take any of these safeties over guys like Donald and Jernigan or Kony?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
While it's true the safety position doesn't rank as the #1 priority, it may well rate about #4 or so. I think the priorities for Dallas are DT, DE, OLB, then free safety. I wouldn't be surprised to see one taken fairly early, perhaps around the 3rd or 4th round if things fall into place for it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any really good defense is good because they go 11 or more deep in terms of talented players. SEA is considerably deeper than that, and they've done it with a lot of mid-round picks.

But their DL is deeper than it is exceptional. And it's that secondary that makes them special. Don't kid yourself. They are outstanding on the back end of that defense.

Boys122

Reaction score
I'll say this until I'm blue in the face, any decent front seven who brings pressure will make your secondary play better. Not taking anything away from Seattle's secondary but it helps out a lot if the front seven brings it every play like they do. In Seattle's case though they have 11 good players on defense, that's what makes them great.

I believe if we build up the DL we'll play much better than we are now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No S in the 1st 3 rounds. However, if the next Darren Woodson is there, can't pass him up.

1. DT or DE
2. DT or DE
3. LB or OG
4. whatever they didn't pick in 1 through 3, pick here, including S, or BPA at any position [except TE]
5. see #4
6. no pick
7a. BPA
7b. BPA
7c. BPA
should have 2 or 3 comp picks too, probably all in the 7th round.

With those 4 through 7 picks, players like a QB, RB, WR, more Defense preferably. And maybe another OL, need depth.
Do the 1st 3 rounds and I'm ok for the most part after that.
If we get 2 comp picks, gives us 10 picks, I would like to see at least 6 on defense. And on offense side, 1 of those needs to be an OG.

StevenOtero

Reaction score
I'll say this until I'm blue in the face, any decent front seven who brings pressure will make your secondary play better. Not taking anything away from Seattle's secondary but it helps out a lot if the front seven brings it every play like they do. In Seattle's case though they have 11 good players on defense, that's what makes them great.

Amen

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The DL injuries--and eventually, the MLB and WLB injuries--had such an obvious effect on what we were trying to do defensively. Even losing the third press corner for part of the season and not having a 4th one available because we'd cut Moore early (that move still made zero sense coming out of camp) so obviously took us completely out of what we wanted to do defensively. The single-high press stuff doesn't work if you're getting zero pressure. And you can't cover forever even in zone.

I'd have a lot more faith in our ability to have a huge impact in one offseason defensively if I thought we could count on Ware to return to form and if we weren't so likely to lose Jason Hatcher. It's that creating two big DL holes from an already bad unit that has me concerned. If we were just plugging holes with players coming back from IR and with high draft picks, I'd be pretty pleased with our chances for improvement.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The best two defensive back draftees in NFL history are Jimmy Johnson and Pete Carroll.

Every team rates good DL VERY high so you have to be in position to draft them.
Good DBs can come later if you know how to draft them.
If not perhaps it behooves you to use high picks there.

A Good OL/DL are important but they are units that only complement what you have at other levels.

You do not build a football team just in the trenches.
Nor do you build it outside in.
You build it with balance and solid players at every level.

One bad player will get you killed.

Kam Chancellor was not thought of as some bum. He was always a good player who's frame was scary to scouts as big safeties have generally failed to cover in the NFL. But once he got to the league he was never really questioned.
He made the Pro Bowl as a 2nd year player in 2011 and again in 2013 before the Super Bowl.
That dude can flat play.
Even more he is a perfect fit beside Thomas because he can handle even the strong TEs.
Thomas was high pick that everyone in football coveted.
He could easily play CB with his coverage skills and is an insane luxury for any defense.

Seattle was very fortunate last year to get Avril and Bennett on sweetheart free agent deals when the money dried up.
Those two are legit NFL starts that gave Seattle absurd DL depth.
That defense is just scary good at all levels. But make no mistake that defenses best two football players are Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman.