Saints Bounty Program **Payton suspended 1 year / Williams indefinitely**

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4474577 said:
I have a problem with it because ten years ago this draws no penalty whatsoever.

So, your argument is that NFL discipline should not change with the times??

The Saints arent being punished because the NFL has grown a conscience or even because bounties are inherently evil (though they are unauthorized bonuses and that is against NFL rules). They are being punished to set a legal precedent for their lawyers to point to in the future.

Excellent... well done, Roger...

Joshmil53

Reaction score

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4473304 said:
Don't get me started on unions...

I think you and I might be a lot closer to the same thinking on that topic then we've been on this one.

:)

silverbear;4475559 said:
Or one could argue that the NFL has needed a hard-nosed sheriff slapping down those who abuse the game... one could further argue that this is a clear message that you don't lie to the league office... maybe now, teams will start to take him seriously...

I salute Goodell for what he did...

Good points. I agree.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score

perrykemp

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4474563 said:
Goodell is incredibly petty and arrogant for handing down a worse punishment just because someone had the audacity to not tell him everything.

In my world, the corporate world, lying to your boss or bosses gets you fired. I don't find the punishment surprising at all.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
perrykemp;4475792 said:
In my world, the corporate world, lying to your boss or bosses gets you fired. I don't find the punishment surprising at all.

In pretty much any world, or work enviroment, lying to your boss or bosses will get you the boot.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that it would be different in the business of the NFL just because it's the NFL.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
perrykemp;4475792 said:

He's punishing an entire franchise worth hundreds of millions of dollars to a worse degree than he would have otherwise because Sean Payton lied to him. This isnt equal to firing a single or even a group of employees. As a commisioner, he shouldnt be handing down spiteful, emotional judgements because his ego took a hit.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4475899 said:
He's punishing an entire franchise worth hundreds of millions of dollars to a worse degree than he would have otherwise because Sean Payton lied to him. This isnt equal to firing a single or even a group of employees. As a commisioner, he shouldnt be handing down spiteful, emotional judgements because his ego took a hit.

Ummm from what I've read this is because the entire Saints orginization lied and tried to cover things up, not just Payton.

How do you know how much he would have punished them if Payton hadn't known about it and it was the other parties involved that lied and hid it? You don't know.

Payton got a 1 year because he lied and covered things up. Everyone involved who has lied and tried to cover things up, including the GM and the Linebackers coach, and the DC at the time have all been individually punished for their roles in lying and covering things up.

It's not like he let those involved skate and only hit the Saints owner and team with fines.

If they hadn't been lying, and had done as they were told, they'd likely have gotten absolutely nothing more than, at most, a slap on the risk. I don't know that for sure but I feel like it's a pretty good bet.

Instead they lied, they continued to do it, and then they tried to cover it up. Not just one person but from top to bottom people involved lied and tried to cover it up.

That's going to get you fired in any other company or business without question. The NFL is no different in that regard and they're getting punished accordingly.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
As a commisioner, he shouldnt be handing down spiteful, emotional judgements because his ego took a hit.

"Ego" is not the issue here, it's failure to cooperate with the "law" in the matter. Imagine that you are a defendant, and you commit perjury in federal court. As a result, the judge gives you a heavier sentence than he would have otherwise (had you been entirely truthful.) Would you say, "Oh, the judge is just giving a heavy sentence because the perjury happened to sting his ego?" No. You would have been penalized because of attempting to obstruct the legal process.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
he shouldnt be handing down spiteful, emotional judgements because his ego took a hit.

Let's imagine that Goodell was a cold-blooded person who never felt a twinge of emotion whatsoever. Would you still consider a penalty of two draft picks, $500,000 fined, head coach suspended for one year, former DC suspended indefinitely, to be inappropriate?

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Sean Payton releases a(nother) statement:

"I share and fully support the League's concerns and goals on player safety. It is, and should be paramount. Respecting our great game and the NFL shield is extremely important to me. Our organization will implement all necessary protections and protocols, and I will be more vigilant going forward. I am sorry for what has happened and as head coach take full responsibility. Finally, I want to thank Mr. Benson, our players and all Saints fans for their overwhelming support."

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...payton-i-will-be-more-vigilant/1#.T20YS9UxnjU

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Bill Jones SportsPage
Greatest quote in Cowboys history: @JimmyJohnson : "oh, I would've gone after Buddy but he put his big fat rear end in locker room!"

Bill Jones SportsPage
RT“@JimmyJohnson: Does anyone wonder that Greg Williams and Jeff Fisher come from Buddy Ryans staff of alleged bounties?”

burmafrd

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4475597 said:
Not when it comes to the very nature of the game, contact.

I take it you are unaware that football was almost banned in the early 1900's due to deaths and injuries? Back in the days of the flying wedge?

So it has changed quite often over the years already.

cajuncocoa

✮ ✮ ✮ ✮ ✮
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;4477193 said:
Bill Jones SportsPage
Greatest quote in Cowboys history: @JimmyJohnson : "oh, I would've gone after Buddy but he put his big fat rear end in locker room!"

Bill Jones SportsPage
RT“@JimmyJohnson: Does anyone wonder that Greg Williams and Jeff Fisher come from Buddy Ryans staff of alleged bounties?”
Not surprising at all. I read somewhere the GW once said Buddy Ryan is one of his heroes. :eek: