Saints McCalister, Smith, and Grant suspended for NFL's substance abuse policy

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
this is such bad news that has ruined my day and will probably ruin our season.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rampage;2458031 said:
that will nullify the tiebreaker they currently hold over us?

Yes, because that will give the Falcons a fourth NFC loss. The next tiebreaker would be common opponents, and we'd win that.

Even if they beat the Bucs but lose one game to the Saints, Vikings or Rams, and we beat the Giants and Eagles, we almost certainly would still have the tiebreaker over the Falcons based on strength of victory (we lead that right now and should lead by even more after three more wins against winning teams).

Don Corleone

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2458051 said:
Yes, because that will give the Falcons a fourth NFC loss. The next tiebreaker would be common opponents, and we'd win that.

Even if they beat the Bucs but lose one game to the Saints, Vikings or Rams, and we beat the Giants and Eagles, we almost certainly would still have the tiebreaker over the Falcons based on strength of victory (we lead that right now and should lead by even more after three more wins against winning teams).

Which basically means that we need to win our remaining NFC games, and either the Steelers or Ravens game to get in at 11-5. No?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2458061 said:
Which basically means that we need to win our remaining NFC games, and either the Steelers or Ravens game to get in at 11-5. No?

That was just to have the tiebreaker over the Falcons. There are ways we can lose an NFC game and still get in at 11-5 -- and maybe even at 10-6 (I haven't checked 10-6 to be certain).

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2458063 said:
Matt Jones coke = 3 games

These guys gets suspended for four games.....:rolleyes:
Wade Wilson, HGH to try and improve his life as a diabetic = 5 games because coaches are held to a higher standard.

Bill Belicheck = no games despite this supposed higher standard

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Vintage;2458022 said:
Whatever. If we keep winning, we'll get in.

If we don't, we really didn't deserve to be in there anyway.

My thoughts exactly.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Boysboy;2458039 said:
Another thing-it's not only the Saints pass rush that's nullified now, but Smith/Grant play VERY well against the run too. So their entire D, if anything, just got shot to ****.

The Saints don't do well on the road. But at home, they likely don't even need McAllister. They'll score 40, 50, 60 with whomever on offense, as long as they have Brees.

arglebargle

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2458063 said:
Matt Jones coke = 3 games

These guys gets suspended for four games.....:rolleyes:

Coke is not viewed as a performance enhancer designed to gain competitive advantage. It's viewed as an 'off the field' problem, and has specific rules written into the NFL contract.

Anything viewed as a performance enhancer gets treated differently (and much tougher).

tyke1doe

Reaction score
arglebargle;2458092 said:
Coke is not viewed as a performance enhancer designed to gain competitive advantage. It's viewed as an 'off the field' problem, and has specific rules written into the NFL contract.

Anything viewed as a performance enhancer gets treated differently (and much tougher).

I didn't know that.

Thanks for the 411.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Dreadnought94;2458013 said:
Actually, I remember reading that he actually had a legitimate argument. Let me see if I can find the article.

yeah his argument was, I'm coached by Mumbles

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2458072 said:
Wade Wilson, HGH to try and improve his life as a diabetic = 5 games because coaches are held to a higher standard.

Bill Belicheck = no games despite this supposed higher standard

I think the Commish has a bias.

arglebargle;2458092 said:

you ever tried to catch a crack head?

kramskoi

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2458083 said:
The Saints don't do well on the road. But at home, they likely don't even need McAllister. They'll score 40, 50, 60 with whomever on offense, as long as they have Brees.
i think the only reason NO scored 52 against GB is because of the disarray that continues in the Packer secondary, coupled with the lack of pressure up front...they've even tried Woodson at safety if you can believe that, which further underscores the problems in their defensive backfield...

New orleans will need to become less finesse and more smash-mouth to really get the passing game untracked again...that business they pulled against Tampa Bay won't cut it...Bush looked really tentative and was content to try his hand running on the edges against the strength of the fast Bucs defense...Thomas is the guy that will need to step up between the tackles...Bush won't make his living there. Heck, with another loss it won't matter one way or the other for their season...personally they look done to me, though i won't tell my wife that.:nono:

Boysboy

Reaction score
kramskoi;2458117 said:
i think the only reason NO scored 52 against GB is because of the disarray that continues in the Packer secondary, coupled with the lack of pressure up front...they've even tried Woodson at safety if you can believe that, which further underscores the problems in their defensive backfield...

New orleans will need to become less finesse and more smash-mouth to really get the passing game untracked again...that business they pulled against Tampa Bay won't cut it...Bush looked really tentative and was content to try his hand running on the edges against the strength of the fast Bucs defense...Thomas is the guy that will need to step up between the tackles...Bush won't make his living there. Heck, with another loss it won't matter one way or the other for their season...personally they look done to me, though i won't tell my wife that.:nono:

Also, the Falcons have a GROUND GAME, unlike the Packers-they should be able to control the clock and the temp of the game, leaving Brees and that Saints O on the sidelines for long stretches.

Section446

Reaction score
This just in:

A representative for one of the six players suspended Tuesday told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that an injunction will be filed in a U.S. District Court Wednesday morning in an attempt to keep the suspended players active for the rest of the 2008 season. ESPN's John Clayton hinted that Pat Williams was the player seeking the injunction. NFL Network's Adam Schefter also raised the possibility that all six players will appeal, but it remains unclear if the players would be allowed to continue to play.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Dreadnought94;2458155 said:
This just in:

This just in:

Quote:
A representative for one of the six players suspended Tuesday told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that an injunction will be filed in a U.S. District Court Wednesday morning in an attempt to keep the suspended players active for the rest of the 2008 season. ESPN's John Clayton hinted that Pat Williams was the player seeking the injunction. NFL Network's Adam Schefter also raised the possibility that all six players will appeal, but it remains unclear if the players would be allowed to continue to play.

I doubt the league is going to be circumvented. But you never know. What is the district it was filed in? The Fifth?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
This is kind of a downer since it's directly going to hurt our chances of making the playoffs.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Honestly-it really doesn't matter, why? B/c remember in '06 when we crashed and burned in Dec yet again, and then ended up SNEAKING into the playoffs? Subsequently, we just looked pretty ROTTEN in that Seattle game. No confidence, poor execution, etc, etc.

Forget the Romo bobbled snap, he was wildly inaccurate all game. And our defense didn't play any better-Hassellbeck was playing injured and then started to shake it off and heat up at the end. Otherwise, the Seattle O could have ran up the score.

Besides, with our poor pass rush, Rex Grossman(Yes, no kiddding) would have ripped us to shreds the following week in Chicago.

Pt being that this is probably a GREAT situation b/c we finish strong by winning out, we go in clicking on all cylinders with confidence, and it carries over into the playoffs.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Boysboy;2458447 said:
Honestly-it really doesn't matter...
Bottom line--it doesn't. Not if we win all four, or even 3 of 4.

Anything less, and we're one and done anyway.

Unless somebody wants to say we could go 11-5, have some momentum, and still not get in, then what these other teams do doesn't matter at all.