Salary cap Hell

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Very late here.....

But overall contract value is not the same as the actual cap hit. The Cowboys have plenty of cap space to sign Dak, CeeDee, and Micah and still have money left over. It's all in the wording. They can convert large portions of base salaries into up-front bonuses; then spread the difference out over future years to lessen the cap hit.

In theory you can keep "borrowing" from future seasons forever; but the time will come when a large portion of your cap will be owed to players no longer on the roster. Remember, the Cowboys were paying Tony Romo through 2019; three years after he took his last NFL snap.

But in the case of guys like Lamb and Parsons, the plan is to have them here a long time anyway. So really there is no excuse for the Cowboys not to be proactive and get them secured sooner rather than later.
They did that already with Dak.

That’s why his contract has so much dead money.

2024 $55 million
2025. $40 million
2026 $12 million

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The credit card has to be paid at some time (eg the Eagles bill comes in 2029 with Hurts $97m hit). There is a point of view that taking a hit in 2024, puts us in a position to come back stronger in 2025. Id argue that this goes to Dak as well, if he's not going to sign a (long) extension that allows us to kick money down the road (and go ALL-IN), then Pre-June him .....AND CLEAR THE DEAD MONEY in 2024. The resources saved on his $29m salary and outstanding Dead Money (by finding just $11m in restructures).

If we cut Dak Pre-June.....cleared CAP......that would be such an attractive proposal for any professional GM, who's got: a clean slate, veteran talent, decent number of young players .....and may want to go in for Dak.

I dont think the Jones' problem is spending on the Cap, it's more down to not having a plan on how they spend. For years we've used the Same 'Ole strategy of having to compete IN EVERY YEAR behind restructuring contracts into Void/Dead Money, which inevitably means we can only afford the elite contracts (it's never the number of elite contracts, that kills us, its the inordinate number of JAGS that we are left with).

With Jerry's subjective interference of liking his own, and inability to make to make difficult decisions (i.e. trading ANY stars) because he 'likes his own' is central to this.
So what? The worst thing that could happen is them not winning a ring which is a guarantee if they continue the status quo. Yea they might have to at some point shed bloated contracts and rebuild but if they are good at their jobs that doesn't have to take long. I'd rather try to win and fail then do what they do now.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup, it's not about whether fans can run it better, that's irrelevant.
Totally irrelevant. No one is talking about how to run a franchise, just one aspect of it. Building a team. Acquiring talent and managing the cap. People act like this is rocket science. Yeah it takes some know how, especially managing the cap. But it's not something that any football savvy person can't at least understand what they are looking at. Only a handful of teams play the offseason game 100% all in. We're not one of them.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I would have no problem pushing massive amounts of money into the future in an effort to win now. The strategy is sound IMHO. My issue is the players we are going all in on.

This defense is garbage and literally quit before the game even started. D Flaw and Parsons might as well have stayed home. Diggs has already shown us what he will do in the playoffs. Bums like Sam Williams stinking up the joint. It is a rotten core and the team refuses to acknowledge this.

The offense is built to compile gaudy regular season stats. It crumbles like dust in the playoffs. Dak is broken and flawed. CeeDee cried like a baby. The big bad O line with all the hall of famers flop around like lost seals. Pathetic.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So what? The worst thing that could happen is them not winning a ring which is a guarantee if they continue the status quo. Yea they might have to at some point shed bloated contracts and rebuild but if they are good at their jobs that doesn't have to take long. I'd rather try to win and fail then do what they do now.
So what??? I don't think you've even read my response as before you respond to what you think is being said.
If you actually read, what I'd written, you'd see my proposal was to have ONE year (2024) to correct the CAP.
I think my point WAS that we can't keep doing the Same 'Ole.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So what??? I don't think you've even read my response as before you respond to what you think is being said.
If you actually read, what I'd written, you'd see my proposal was to have ONE year (2024) to correct the CAP.
I think my point WAS that we can't keep doing the Same 'Ole.
Nope I didn't read your entire response. They don't need to correct the cap right now, it is as they intended. They have an estimated 70 million available come next year, 194million in 2026, 256million in 2027 etc etc. They can continue extending players like they have been with very little cap worries.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Nope I didn't read your entire response. They don't need to correct the cap right now, it is as they intended. They have an estimated 70 million available come next year, 194million in 2026, 256million in 2027 etc etc. They can continue extending players like they have been with very little cap worries.
Strange that you mentioned not doing the 'Same Ole', and then you advocate continuing to do the same.
The issue with the 'Jerry's same ole' isn't the top end contracts, it's the rest of the roster.
Why not correct the CAP if we're not competing in 2024. Why pay Dak $29m, if he's adamant he's going to hit free agency in 2025. Use the saving to clear Daks potential $40m 2025 Dead Money.....putting us in a better position to look at 3 big contracts (assuming we'll be in the Dak sweepstakes).

kskboys

Reaction score
I would have no problem pushing massive amounts of money into the future in an effort to win now. The strategy is sound IMHO. My issue is the players we are going all in on.

This defense is garbage and literally quit before the game even started. D Flaw and Parsons might as well have stayed home. Diggs has already shown us what he will do in the playoffs. Bums like Sam Williams stinking up the joint. It is a rotten core and the team refuses to acknowledge this.

The offense is built to compile gaudy regular season stats. It crumbles like dust in the playoffs. Dak is broken and flawed. CeeDee cried like a baby. The big bad O line with all the hall of famers flop around like lost seals. Pathetic.
We've already done that. Only works w/ a heady football savvy GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
Strange that you mentioned not doing the 'Same Ole', and then you advocate continuing to do the same.
The issue with the 'Jerry's same ole' isn't the top end contracts, it's the rest of the roster.
Why not correct the CAP if we're not competing in 2024. Why pay Dak $29m, if he's adamant he's going to hit free agency in 2025. Use the saving to clear Daks potential $40m 2025 Dead Money.....putting us in a better position to look at 3 big contracts (assuming we'll be in the Dak sweepstakes).
And in addition, not be so great for a year and get some high draft picks.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Ok from what I am seeing and please correct me..... How can you pay Dak 60 mil., CD 30-35 mil and MP 35-40 mil and field a competitive team. I kinda get the conundrum here with the va jays (JJ & Stephen). Do we trade them? What is the answer?? Me....not paying Yak top 10 QB. My take on WR is we can find some one to catch the ball, no offence CD but we have to field a competitive team here. MP.....not LT status by a long shot. Pouty and moodie.....just bust chops and play the game no matter what. and shut your damn mouth.
You do know just because they say 60 mil a yr doesn't mean he will make 60 mil a yr right? Daks aav for the first 3 yrs of the deal was 20something mil. They had a plan to restructure and extend him this yr but I think they're ready to move in 2025 unless they win the superbowl.

birdwells1

Reaction score
The credit card has to be paid at some time (eg the Eagles bill comes in 2029 with Hurts $97m hit). There is a point of view that taking a hit in 2024, puts us in a position to come back stronger in 2025. Id argue that this goes to Dak as well, if he's not going to sign a (long) extension that allows us to kick money down the road (and go ALL-IN), then Pre-June him .....AND CLEAR THE DEAD MONEY in 2024. The resources saved on his $29m salary and outstanding Dead Money (by finding just $11m in restructures).

If we cut Dak Pre-June.....cleared CAP......that would be such an attractive proposal for any professional GM, who's got: a clean slate, veteran talent, decent number of young players .....and may want to go in for Dak.

I dont think the Jones' problem is spending on the Cap, it's more down to not having a plan on how they spend. For years we've used the Same 'Ole strategy of having to compete IN EVERY YEAR behind restructuring contracts into Void/Dead Money, which inevitably means we can only afford the elite contracts (it's never the number of elite contracts, that kills us, its the inordinate number of JAGS that we are left with).

With Jerry's subjective interference of liking his own, and inability to make to make difficult decisions (i.e. trading ANY stars) because he 'likes his own' is central to this.
When have we ever went "ALL IN"? We haven't signed a first wave free agent since Brandon Carr in 2012!!! If you're Dak are you trusting the Joneses to use money saved on your contract to put pieces around him? Their track record says that they won't.