Salary Cap Question

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

This currently shows we have a little under $14 million in cap space.
So after June 1st we will have the $10 million from releasing Collins, and puts us at just under $24 million?

For those asking why not signing any other vet players, maybe they are waiting for the extra cap space to possibly do more with that extra amount.

I don't see anything happening until after the OTA's and mini camps anyway. But curious what will be the cap number, in case I am not looking at this correctly.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
rolling it over for diggs, then lamb I believe is the sentiment here... keep in mind we have an out in Dak's contract in 2024 with a 40M hit, but I believe they will let him play it out before they revisit the QB position again... this team is too comfortable staying status quo.

jujoboys

Reaction score

So after June 1st we will have the $10 million from releasing Collins, and puts us at just under $24 million?

For those asking why not signing any other vet players, maybe they are waiting for the extra cap space to possibly do more with that extra amount.

I don't see anything happening until after the OTA's and mini camps anyway. But curious what will be the cap number, in case I am not looking at this correctly.

It's obvious that Dallas has decided to save all large salary cap expenditures for their own players (players they drafted). Looks like they plan on rolling the money over to take care of players that are currently on the roster. Like it or not, their philosophy is clearly to build via the draft, save money and cap space for internal free agents, and go bargain bin shopping for external free agents.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Yes. 24 million rolling over to next year. Plus another 17 million in dead money. That's around 40 million total for the 2023 season. We can talk David Irving out of retirement with that kind of money.
:muttley:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

but who will be available by then? all the good ones have already signed. if there is anybody left that we may want, then we could sign them already. with the 14M. if they really wanted they could have worked other contracts to open up the cap space necessary to sign a significant player.....

conner01

Reaction score

I’d be surprised if we don’t sign a couple guys and during the year we sometimes add players. I still think a vet swing tackle is a good idea. I wish they’d stick smith at guard and not move him around this camp. Let him spend the whole camp learning guard and then next year work him at tackle, but I doubt they do that. Im not so comfy with the unproven depth at tackle myself

Carson

Reaction score
rolling it over for diggs, then lamb I believe is the sentiment here... keep in mind we have an out in Dak's contract in 2024 with a 40M hit, but I believe they will let him play it out before they revisit the QB position again... this team is too comfortable staying status quo.
Why are you rolling over $$ for two years minimum away?

Lamb has at least 3 years with a 5th year option

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Jazz, I still don't see why we cant sign some cheap free agents.
The price has gotta be coming down.
We could really use some veteran depth on the Oline.
Stephen even said we would be active after the draft.
Just not understanding this...

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if we don’t sign a couple guys and during the year we sometimes add players. I still think a vet swing tackle is a good idea. I wish they’d stick smith at guard and not move him around this camp. Let him spend the whole camp learning guard and then next year work him at tackle, but I doubt they do that. Im not so comfy with the unproven depth at tackle myself
I agree, we need some Oline depth.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

Diggs is eligible for an extension after this year. We are currently looking at 21 Million per to sign him to a longer term deal. Now that can be structured to lower the cap hit for the first couple of years but it is going to take a lot of money per year to resign him.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yet the rams can sign any player they want with the funds they have, I'm not buying it! We will continue to be tight with our money

You're not buying it, the same as the Rams arent after this season...... $10m and needing a new O-Line and D-Line apart from Donald.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
but who will be available by then? all the good ones have already signed. if there is anybody left that we may want, then we could sign them already. with the 14M. if they really wanted they could have worked other contracts to open up the cap space necessary to sign a significant player.....

There are some decent FA left. Akiem Hicks, Will Fuller . Hictchens to name a few.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
I was listening to Ross Tucker today and he talked about his time with the Cowboys. They charged him for food, even if he was bringing is own lunch. Also, once he was cut,, he asked for his helmet. He said he was told it's Jerry's equipment and charged him $300 via payroll deduction. He said on every other team he was on, he was able to keep his helmet for free.

He also added there is no accountability in Dallas. Said listen to what happened after the loss to the Niners. Dak and McCarthy talked about the refs.

Ross Tucker Talks Cowboys, Patriots, Baker Mayfield, Jimmy G & More with Rich Eisen | Full Interview - Bing video

Last edited:

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

It rarely works out like that. Oakland traded Cooper after 3.5 years in lieu of having to pay him.

AJ Brown made sure he got his money after 3 years.

Tyreek Hill was drafted in 2016 and got his extension in 2019.

DK Metcalf is likely to get his money before year 4.

We’ll probably hear Deebo’s new contract terms before year 4 is up.

Its up to CeeDee. Do you think if he has his breakout season as a #1, that he’ll sit on his hands until 2025, or will he want what other players who do what he does (or less than he does) are getting? We already know if he pulls a Zeke that Jerry will likely cave. We won’t know where his mind is until that time comes.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jazz, I still don't see why we cant sign some cheap free agents.
The price has gotta be coming down.
We could really use some veteran depth on the Oline.
Stephen even said we would be active after the draft.
Just not understanding this...

I think they want to see what they have in OTA’s and mini camp first.
Give them a chance to see what they have. Then go from there.
This is typical, actually form all teams. You won’t see much movement going on for another month most likely.

Until some players are released from teams, or injuries occur. Won’t be many signings. If injuries then may see some trades. I don’t expect much until after TC starts. Unless some rookies as in the UDFA are a bust and they can see that quickly.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
They have to spend within a certain amount of the cap, minimum, right? How big is the cushion?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I think they want to see what they have in OTA’s and mini camp first.
Give them a chance to see what they have. Then go from there.
This is typical, actually form all teams. You won’t see much movement going on for another month most likely.

Until some players are released from teams, or injuries occur. Won’t be many signings. If injuries then may see some trades. I don’t expect much until after TC starts. Unless some rookies as in the UDFA are a bust and they can see that quickly.
OK,
Just hope their is somebody worth signing if they wait too long ?