Salary Cap Question

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Even if they extend Diggs and Lamb, those big cap hits won't come right away. It will take 2-3 years.

Depends. They can take a bigger hit upfront if they want to, which helps on the back end. Carrying over the money also helps them not have to restructure other deals in order to sign their own while adding their usual cheap signings. We restructured Dak and Zak this year. Ideally, you'd like to avoid doing that even if they are built into new deals just in case you need them.

They may want to extend those two, also sign Schultz, possibly LVE (depending on how he plays). Pollard could be a target as well, whether we get rid of Elliott or not. If Steele plays well, we may want to give him a long-term deal, which won't be cheap if he's a quality starting tackle.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
Depends. They can take a bigger hit upfront if they want to, which helps on the back end. Carrying over the money also helps them not have to restructure other deals in order to sign their own while adding their usual cheap signings. We restructured Dak and Zak this year. Ideally, you'd like to avoid doing that even if they are built into new deals just in case you need them.

They may want to extend those two, also sign Schultz, possibly LVE (depending on how he plays). Pollard could be a target as well, whether we get rid of Elliott or not. If Steele plays well, we may want to give him a long-term deal, which won't be cheap if he's a quality starting tackle.

They should be making a push at Pollard now. He's hit 3 years and is eligible. He'd probably be a bargain if he got the touches his play merits.

Flamma

Reaction score

You're right on Steele and Shultz. They are playing the last year of their contract. But IMO this is Shultz last year here. And I have no idea as to the market value of Steele. I think this year will say a lot about that.

Diggs and Lamb are different. Any extension they get doesn't start until 2024 the earliest for Diggs. Since Lamb has a 5th year option, 2025 for him. Any signing bonus they get isn't going to spike the cap hit for 2023.

I also agree they may not want to restructure Dak again in 2023. That's where most of the cap money will probably go.

Flamma

Reaction score
They should be making a push at Pollard now. He's hit 3 years and is eligible. He'd probably be a bargain if he got the touches his play merits.

For some reason Jerry likes to wait on some of these players. It's hard to tell who he will and will not do this with. It doesn't help financially, nor does it help with the cap. I guess he's just not sure about the player. You would think caution would be better suited for the big contracts, not the smaller ones.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

That could be viewed as another "like our guy" move. It's the perennial problem of extending contracts to 'names' rather than players. With our present: O-Line, lack of blocking TE and a QB who needs protection from a RB that can block I doubt that Pollard (who's ostensibly an OZ running back) fits our scheme.

I'd imagine he'd want to check out the market and even take a pillow contract on team that would best suit his skillset ....build his worth and cash in.

Flamma

Reaction score
That could be viewed as another "like our guy" move. It's the perennial problem of extending contracts to 'names' rather than players. With our present: O-Line, lack of blocking TE and a QB who needs protection from a RB that can block I doubt that Pollard (who's ostensibly an OZ running back) fits our scheme.

I'd imagine he'd want to check out the market and even take a pillow contract on team that would best suit his skillset ....build his worth and cash in.

Pollard's market value is about 4M a year. I can understand if people think that's too much. But either way, it's not crippling. They wouldn't be saving that much whether or not they pay him.

CWR

Reaction score

Despite our deficiencies, Pollards' talent has shined through.

When you take into consideration, Zeke is likely gone after this season; a combination of TP and a rookie seems pretty logical.

I don't believe his contract would draw too much side eye from the fanbase, but you may he right that he is looking for a bigger payday. He's put out good film, and has made an argument for more carries. Someone might he willing to take a shot.

CWR

Reaction score
For some reason Jerry likes to wait on some of these players. It's hard to tell who he will and will not do this with. It doesn't help financially, nor does it help with the cap. I guess he's just not sure about the player. You would think caution would be better suited for the big contracts, not the smaller ones.

Crazy thing is how often he is wrong. We signed Miles Austin, Crawford and MB3 early I believe. All were bad contracts. Then we wait on Dak, Dlaw etc, and continue to get burned. This FO struggles mightily at identifying who to sign early.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Despite our deficiencies, Pollards' talent has shined through.

When you take into consideration, Zeke is likely gone after this season; a combination of TP and a rookie seems pretty logical.

I don't believe his contract would draw too much side eye from the fanbase, but you may he right that he is looking for a bigger payday. He's put out good film, and has made an argument for more carries. Someone might he willing to take a shot.
I'm not decrying Pollard's skillet at all, in fact I'm a fan. The problem though is three fold:
1) we need to see improvement in the O-Line (and TE blocking) to get the best out of him.
2) RB's notoriously declines with age (though Pollard hasnt been overused so the decline may not be off a cliff)
3) Stubborn Jerry may still insist that Zeke's the man.

Just think we can up a decent RB in middle rounds of draft.

CWR

Reaction score
I'm not decrying Pollard's skillet at all, in fact I'm a fan. The problem though is three fold:
1) we need to see improvement in the O-Line (and TE blocking) to get the best out of him.
2) RB's notoriously declines with age (though Pollard hasnt been overused so the decline may not be off a cliff)
3) Stubborn Jerry may still insist that Zeke's the man.

Just think we can up a decent RB in middle rounds of draft.

1) Agreed, but I feel like I have to hope Tyler is an immediate upgrade in the run game. I also have to hope KM wakes the hell up and learns to call a run game as part of his overall offense. Not just the lazy run up the middle all day, every day.

2) I think TPs light load in college and the pros has left plenty of tread on the tire.

3) May be the biggest factor in losing Pollard. I think they will try to get Zeke to take a pay cut. Whether Zeke does so or not will be based on what his agent thinks he can get on the open market. Currently I don't see anyone paying big money for Zeke, and consequently he may accept the cut because it is his best option financially, and he can stay with Dak etc.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
1) Agreed, but I feel like I have to hope Tyler is an immediate upgrade in the run game. I also have to hope KM wakes the hell up and learns to call a run game as part of his overall offense. Not just the lazy run up the middle all day, every day.

2) I think TPs light load in college and the pros has left plenty of tread on the tire.

3) May be the biggest factor in losing Pollard. I think they will try to get Zeke to take a pay cut. Whether Zeke does so or not will be based on what his agent thinks he can get on the open market. Currently I don't see anyone paying big money for Zeke, and consequently he may accept the cut because it is his best option financially, and he can stay with Dak etc.

Yep, agree, and but on Zeke and his perpetual injuries seriously restricting him to a North/South inside runner, he should be getting full back money.

CWR

Reaction score
Yep, agree, and but on Zeke and his perpetual injuries seriously restricting him to a North/South inside runner, he should be getting full back money.

He was actually able to get the edge the first 5 or 6 games last year. It was the first time I can recall that in a few seasons. I don't know if it was the injury or he wore down quickly. Yeah we can't keep paying him anywhere near his current salary.

I am excited to see what he does this year, if only because it's a pseudo "contract year." I think it's probably best we move on, no pay cuts or contract manipulations. We need fresh legs. Still would've loved to have drafted a mid round back.

gimmesix

Reaction score

Not sure Pollard would be willing to sign yet, though. He and his agent would know that he'd be a bargain right now, but if he can get a more extensive role, which I think is possible if we essentially use him as a slot receiver with Gallup out, he can up what he'll be offered.

Flamma

Reaction score
Not sure Pollard would be willing to sign yet, though. He and his agent would know that he'd be a bargain right now, but if he can get a more extensive role, which I think is possible if we essentially use him as a slot receiver with Gallup out, he can up what he'll be offered.

That would be a mighty gamble for a 25 year old RB. His market value is listed near 4M. My guess is the Cowboys don't even want him for that, let alone more. But you're right if he shows promise in the slot. At least he'll have a future someplace.

gimmesix

Reaction score
That would be a mighty gamble for a 25 year old RB. His market value is listed near 4M. My guess is the Cowboys don't even want him for that, let alone more. But you're right if he shows promise in the slot. At least he'll have a future someplace.

Don't think he'd view it as hurting his market value by waiting. It really just depends on if he sees himself as a starting running back. If he does, then he'd want to wait for someone to give him the opportunity to show it. Dallas can't guarantee that he'll get the opportunity here until it decides what it is going to do with Elliott next season. The front office certainly isn't going to tell Pollard that if he re-signs with the team, he'll get his shot at the starting job.

gimmesix

Reaction score

With Gallup most likely starting out on PUP, I hope McCarthy/Moore at least experiment with Lamb, Washington and Pollard as our starting receiver group. I really think Pollard coming across the formation as a jet sweep option would loosen defenses against the interior runs. It would also lessen the need for Tolbert to have to contribute immediately, or if he shows he's ready early on, give us an option in case Washington isn't able to handle the No. 2 role.

Flamma

Reaction score
Don't think he'd view it as hurting his market value by waiting. It really just depends on if he sees himself as a starting running back. If he does, then he'd want to wait for someone to give him the opportunity to show it. Dallas can't guarantee that he'll get the opportunity here until it decides what it is going to do with Elliott next season. The front office certainly isn't going to tell Pollard that if he re-signs with the team, he'll get his shot at the starting job.

I'm just going by what I see in the league. Right now there's only about 5 RBs in the entire league averaging over 6M per year. There's a big drop after the big 3 and Dalvin Cook.

I hope they try to use him in the slot too. They'll know if he can play the position before the end of the offseason I'm sure. Look for it in preseason. That would definitely raise his value if he's any good at it.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I'm just going by what I see in the league. Right now there's only about 5 RBs in the entire league averaging over 6M per year. There's a big drop after the big 3 and Dalvin Cook.

I hope they try to use him in the slot too. They'll know if he can play the position before the end of the offseason I'm sure. Look for it in preseason. That would definitely raise his value if he's any good at it.

Didn't mean to indicate that that won't be his market value, only that I'd expect him to wait unless he's assured of starting here in 2023. Most backs who have played as well as he has want a starting opportunity. Here, he is No. 2 to Elliott's No. 1 until further notice. I do think there's a good chance we either restructure or cut Elliott after this season, depending some on his play, but I'm not sure Dallas even knows what it's going to do at this point. I mean, if Elliott plays all year like he did last year before the injury, it'll be hard to cut that. However, if he shows that he's at the point where injuries are his new reality or can't get back to a higher level of play, then we'll likely move on, re-signing Pollard and looking for someone to play a complementary role to him.