Salary Cap Question

Flamma

Reaction score
The initial question in the OP is what are they rolling over cap money for? Clearly it's not for Diggs, Lamb or Parsons. Are some other players cap hit going to spike?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Most moves are minor but can still be very important

They can be, but thats not a move that is going to put the Cowboys over the top and into contender status. And who is to say that one of our young tackles cant get the job done for a few games?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

This currently shows we have a little under $14 million in cap space.
So after June 1st we will have the $10 million from releasing Collins, and puts us at just under $24 million?

For those asking why not signing any other vet players, maybe they are waiting for the extra cap space to possibly do more with that extra amount.

I don't see anything happening until after the OTA's and mini camps anyway. But curious what will be the cap number, in case I am not looking at this correctly.

The Cowboys manage the cap as based on multiple years, not based on the current year.
- After 2013, they stopped managing the cap on a year to year basis.
- They're saving cap dollars to retain their own players in future years.
- They also want the flexibility to add players at any time (FA or trade).
- They have 14M now. They're not waiting for another 10M.

Creeper

Reaction score
Even if they sign a player or two after June 1 cuts, I don't think it will be for much. So I will go along with the idea they are rolling as much CAP over as they can because in 2023 they will start out almost $5 million over the cap.

conner01

Reaction score
They can be, but thats not a move that is going to put the Cowboys over the top and into contender status. And who is to say that one of our young tackles cant get the job done for a few games?
They may but it seems risky
It’s not like you are bringing in a guy who hasn’t played much. You would be bringing in a guy who’s never took an nfl snap

Flamma

Reaction score
Even if they sign a player or two after June 1 cuts, I don't think it will be for much. So I will go along with the idea they are rolling as much CAP over as they can because in 2023 they will start out almost $5 million over the cap.

Can they really project what the 2023 cap will be this early? What number were they using?

But this brought something to my attention. They could be rolling this money over because they don't want to yet again restructure Dak and push 30M forward. They might want to just go with Dak at a 50M cap hit for next season if possible.

Other than Dak, I don't see any other big cap spikes for next season. If the cap goes up 15-20M, that should cover most of the team besides Dak. I don't know, just a guess.

Creeper

Reaction score
Can they really project what the 2023 cap will be this early? What number were they using?

But this brought something to my attention. They could be rolling this money over because they don't want to yet again restructure Dak and push 30M forward. They might want to just go with Dak at a 50M cap hit for next season if possible.

Other than Dak, I don't see any other big cap spikes for next season. If the cap goes up 15-20M, that should cover most of the team besides Dak. I don't know, just a guess.

Over-the-CAP is using $225 million which is about 8% higher than 2022. That's about the average increase in prior non-COVID years.

I agree with the suggestion they may not want to restructure Dak, because they really cannot do too much restructuring of his contract. The already pushed out $40 million in pro-rated bonuses, almost $22 million of that is paid out in voided years. If Dak were to leave Dallas in 2025 they would eat that $22 million. A restructure in 2023 would increase that risk.

Flamma

Reaction score
Over-the-CAP is using $225 million which is about 8% higher than 2022. That's about the average increase in prior non-COVID years.

I agree with the suggestion they may not want to restructure Dak, because they really cannot do too much restructuring of his contract. The already pushed out $40 million in pro-rated bonuses, almost $22 million of that is paid out in voided years. If Dak were to leave Dallas in 2025 they would eat that $22 million. A restructure in 2023 would increase that risk.

Yeah I was looking at that. And every year they restructure it's more. Next year they'd have to push 30 million forward just to achieve the same cap hit. So my guess is they'll probably not restructure him. Damn, he'd be a 22% ball and chain against the cap by himself.

I know where I was confused. I was mistakenly looking at the Cowboys active cap, thinking it was the league cap. Now that I've corrected my stupidity the numbers make more sense.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The Cowboys manage the cap as based on multiple years, not based on the current year.
- After 2013, they stopped managing the cap on a year to year basis.
- They're saving cap dollars to retain their own players in future years.
- They also want the flexibility to add players at any time (FA or trade).
- They have 14M now. They're not waiting for another 10M.
Walker what's your take on their lack of activity in free agency post draft ?
Stephen said they would be active.
Any Olinemen worthy of a contract ?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They may but it seems risky
It’s not like you are bringing in a guy who hasn’t played much. You would be bringing in a guy who’s never took an nfl snap

Personally I would see how things look in TC before I waste the money. And its not like these swing FA tackles we have signed the last few years were any good.

Also have to figure in that if its Tyron Smith that goes down at LT they have already said they are shifting Tyler Smith out there. So all they really need is a backup RT.

conner01

Reaction score
Personally I would see how things look in TC before I waste the money. And its not like these swing FA tackles we have signed the last few years were any good.

Also have to figure in that if its Tyron Smith that goes down at LT they have already said they are shifting Tyler Smith out there. So all they really need is a backup RT.
I wouldnt shift smith out myself
I wouldn’t even be giving him snaps at tackle in camp
He hasn’t taken a snap at guard since HS so I’d let him learn guard and then next camp work him at tackle
I get that their plan is that and they may go with someone on the roster as RT. I just think that’s risky and trying to work on technique at two positions doesn’t seem like the best plan to me
But that appears to be what they as saying anyway

Reactions: CWR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I wouldnt shift smith out myself
I wouldn’t even be giving him snaps at tackle in camp
He hasn’t taken a snap at guard since HS so I’d let him learn guard and then next camp work him at tackle
I get that their plan is that and they may go with someone on the roster as RT. I just think that’s risky and trying to work on technique at two positions doesn’t seem like the best plan to me
But that appears to be what they as saying anyway

I like the plan actually. But I would certainly make sure he can handle both in camp. So some journeyman backup tackle is going to be a better option?

conner01

Reaction score
I like the plan actually. But I would certainly make sure he can handle both in camp. So some journeyman backup tackle is going to be a better option?
Most journeyman have taken nfl snaps
To me his weakness at tackle was technique and he hasn’t played guard so he needs to learn that technique
Just don’t like the idea of trying to teach a rookie to play at the nfl level a position he never played in college, while trying to teach him to be a nfl tackle at the same time
I’d prefer to see him full time at guard and really learn the position and then tackle next camp

Reactions: CWR

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Most journeyman have taken nfl snaps
To me his weakness at tackle was technique and he hasn’t played guard so he needs to learn that technique
Just don’t like the idea of trying to teach a rookie to play at the nfl level a position he never played in college, while trying to teach him to be a nfl tackle at the same time
I’d prefer to see him full time at guard and really learn the position and then tackle next camp

Its not that big of a deal going from LT to guard. Easier position. I would actually be more worried about him playing LT then guard. OTA's and TC are where you improve the technique.

J12B

Reaction score
rolling it over for diggs, then lamb I believe is the sentiment here... keep in mind we have an out in Dak's contract in 2024 with a 40M hit, but I believe they will let him play it out before they revisit the QB position again... this team is too comfortable staying status quo.

They'll most likely extend Dak after this season.

That will provide cap relief for the next 2023 and 2024.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/dallas-cowboys/

This currently shows we have a little under $14 million in cap space.
So after June 1st we will have the $10 million from releasing Collins, and puts us at just under $24 million?

For those asking why not signing any other vet players, maybe they are waiting for the extra cap space to possibly do more with that extra amount.

I don't see anything happening until after the OTA's and mini camps anyway. But curious what will be the cap number, in case I am not looking at this correctly.

I do think they will consider adding a veteran if they believe there are holes in the roster at the end of the preseason. However, for the most part, I think they are looking to use the money for extensions (Diggs, Lamb, maybe Pollard, etc.). It's clear that the front office values extending its own FAs at a premium over bringing in expensive ones.

Flamma

Reaction score
They'll most likely extend Dak after this season.

That will provide cap relief for the next 2023 and 2024.

His extension would probably come after the 2023 season.

Flamma

Reaction score
I do think they will consider adding a veteran if they believe there are holes in the roster at the end of the preseason. However, for the most part, I think they are looking to use the money for extensions (Diggs, Lamb, maybe Pollard, etc.). It's clear that the front office values extending its own FAs at a premium over bringing in expensive ones.

Even if they extend Diggs and Lamb, those big cap hits won't come right away. It will take 2-3 years.