News: Sam Williams has gotten to know Cowboys

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I have been looking at the write up on pass rushers throughout the draft. It looks like there are multiple pass rushers in the top 100 that could develop into 10 sack players. Wide receiver is deep as well. I have changed my tune. The Cowboys need to trade up and get Penning.
Not the draft to trade up. There is going to be a good player there at 24. Green is still my favorite, but I am fine with several others. Really hope they don’t take another 1st rd receiver and concentrate on the trenches, I wouldn’t even mind Travis Jones at the pick

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Not the draft to trade up. There is going to be a good player there at 24. Green is still my favorite, but I am fine with several others. Really hope they don’t take another 1st rd receiver and concentrate on the trenches, I wouldn’t even mind Travis Jones at the pick
Travis Jones is good but they can find one techs later as well. I don’t think the draft is that deep on tackles. That is why I recommend a trade up. The reality is the team will only improve through this past draft. I really need to see how Semi, Ball, Joseph, Gholston, Osa, and the Oregon St. kid are doing in the offseason. Those guys will be the meat and potatoes of the Cowboys. Like it or not.

Flamma

Reaction score

Don't be surprised if Dallas goes WR with their second pick. That's what I'm worried about. I'd rather they go OL first, then DL as there are more of them. Trading up a few spot in the first might put us in play for Penning and Green at OT. Not far up, to like 20 or 21.

Travis Jones is good but they can find one techs later as well. I don’t think the draft is that deep on tackles. That is why I recommend a trade up. The reality is the team will only improve through this past draft. I really need to see how Semi, Ball, Joseph, Gholston, Osa, and the Oregon St. kid are doing in the offseason. Those guys will be the meat and potatoes of the Cowboys. Like it or not.

Looking at the board I kind of agree. It looks like we just need a few spots up. I just don't see the Cowboys doing it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yes, they are building this team with the draft/develop mindset. All those draftees are expected to improve with experience and being apart of an NFL Weight program.

As for Tackle, I don't see a starting need, but more of a future one. They are going to sign, a veteran swing Tackle when Tyron misses his usual amount of games and they do still have Ball who needed to get stronger. As I have said numerous times, drafting a Tackle and playing him early inside makes a lot of sense. Problem is, finding such a player.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Dallas goes WR with their second pick. That's what I'm worried about. I'd rather they go OL first, then DL as there are more of them. Trading up a few spot in the first might put us in play for Penning and Green at OT. Not far up, to like 20 or 21.

Looking at the board I kind of agree. It looks like we just need a few spots up. I just don't see the Cowboys doing it.
In a deep WR class a few years ago, they did wait to the 3rd rd to draft Michael Gallup. Think two years ago, that was also the plan, but didn't expect Lamb to fall to their pick, matter of fact, nobody did.

Flamma

Reaction score
In a deep WR class a few years ago, they did wait to the 3rd rd to draft Michael Gallup. Think two years ago, that was also the plan, but didn't expect Lamb to fall to their pick, matter of fact, nobody did.

If I remember correctly, the WR class was quite thin the year Gallup was picked. Only D.J Moore and Calvin Ridley were taken late in the 1st. I think Ridley was the highest rated WR. I could be wrong.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Yes, they are building this team with the draft/develop mindset. All those draftees are expected to improve with experience and being apart of an NFL Weight program.

As for Tackle, I don't see a starting need, but more of a future one. They are going to sign, a veteran swing Tackle when Tyron misses his usual amount of games and they do still have Ball who needed to get stronger. As I have said numerous times, drafting a Tackle and playing him early inside makes a lot of sense. Problem is, finding such a player.
That is what ticks me off about shows about the Cowboys. The shows seem to hate Ball because of an incident that happened when he was 18. The shows question Joseph because Brown actually played well and kept his job. Stephen has said since 2016 that the Cowboys will build through the draft and they will pay their own big salaries. It is like fans and media want the Cowboys to run out and give other teams trash a chance. Teams keep players they really want. LVE especially for the money he makes could be better then Wagner this season. No one who has followed Gregory’s career would be surprised if Armstrong out plays him.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
That is what ticks me off about shows about the Cowboys. The shows seem to hate Ball because of an incident that happened when he was 18. The shows question Joseph because Brown actually played well and kept his job. Stephen has said since 2016 that the Cowboys will build through the draft and they will pay their own big salaries. It is like fans and media want the Cowboys to run out and give other teams trash a chance. Teams keep players they really want. LVE especially for the money he makes could be better then Wagner this season. No one who has followed Gregory’s career would be surprised if Armstrong out plays him.
Many of us do our own homework on reviewing these players and learning what others are saying about them. Joseph was a first rd talent that fell due to his character concerns and his lack of experience. There was a chance he wasn't going to be ready to start right away. Many fans think if he needs a little development, he is a bust. Ball missed the season due to an injury, but it was evident he needed to get stronger. He was projected as a 2nd rd talent. We have no idea how good he is or not as he hasn't seen the field, but already fans are saying he was a wasted pick. The draft process isn't about yr 1 impact, but the life of his contract.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Many of us do our own homework on reviewing these players and learning what others are saying about them. Joseph was a first rd talent that fell due to his character concerns and his lack of experience. There was a chance he wasn't going to be ready to start right away. Many fans think if he needs a little development, he is a bust. Ball missed the season due to an injury, but it was evident he needed to get stronger. He was projected as a 2nd rd talent. We have no idea how good he is or not as he hasn't seen the field, but already fans are saying he was a wasted pick. The draft process isn't about yr 1 impact, but the life of his contract.
What is you opinion of not bringing in one of Wagner, Miller and Smith. I actually agree with Stephen if the money is set aside to balance the books.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
What is you opinion of not bringing in one of Wagner, Miller and Smith. I actually agree with Stephen if the money is set aside to balance the books.
I don’t think their done, especially with that Collins money coming post draft. There will be rushers remaining after all the money has been spent where Stephen can get a discount line Griffen a few years ago. That to him is more for the upcoming season and rather draft and develop a long term starter.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think their done, especially with that Collins money coming post draft. There will be rushers remaining after all the money has been spent where Stephen can get a discount line Griffen a few years ago. That to him is more for the upcoming season and rather draft and develop a long term starter.
Basically they are waiting for the prices to come down on Wagner and JPP. That is smart.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Depending on how the board fell I'd okay with Williams. He does have some tightness to hips that's a bit concerning but you cannot deny his production:

35 games
32.5 TFL
22.5 sacks
6 FF
1 INT

That's some of the best per game "splash play" production of any DE/EDGE coming out.

cowboyec

Reaction score
he's one of those de's i'd love to get in the 2nd.
maybe i'm wrong but at 24 i think we address our oline...or get burks...then in the 2nd...our de.
theres a group there i like...
sam williams
kingsley enagbare
drake jackson
myjai sanders
cameron thomas
all have the size and long arms quinn likes.
56 looks like a sweet spot to this untrained eye for our de.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
he's one of those de's i'd love to get in the 2nd.
maybe i'm wrong but at 24 i think we address our oline...or get burks...then in the 2nd...our de.
theres a group there i like...
sam williams
kingsley enagbare
drake jackson
myjai sanders
cameron thomas
all have the size and long arms quinn likes.
56 looks like a sweet spot to this untrained eye for our de.
Wrote a recent post about 56 being the sweet spot to land a 2nd tier DE.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
If we don't come out of this draft with a DE as deep as this class is we're pathetic. Williams, Mafe, etc. Same people crying about Armstrong and Basham want to draft a freaking guard or wr. 2 of the easiest to full positions :facepalm:

Reactions: BAT

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I have been looking at the write up on pass rushers throughout the draft. It looks like there are multiple pass rushers in the top 100 that could develop into 10 sack players. Wide receiver is deep as well. I have changed my tune. The Cowboys need to trade up and get Penning.

Trade down.

Not just once, but at least twice.

2nd and 3rd round is talent rich.