Sam Williams just keeps getting better

_sturt_

Reaction score
Upon further review... thought they might be close... Vander Esch listed at 6-4 256... Sam Will listed at 6-4 261.

I mean... wouldn't it be worth giving Sam Will a look on the chance it could be effective?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I honestly think Williams is the one d-lineman on our team currently that has star potential. I think the key for him is consistency and discipline. On a snap-per-snap basis he makes a ton of plays.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know if this has already been kicked around, but if not, maybe it should be.

Premise 1: Most of us acknowledge that even though we have capable DT-1s, we're still not the run-stuffing defense we need to be for the playoffs.

Premise 2: And while Bell has been a tackling machine, he's no replacement for what LVE was capable of doing for us on any kind of consistent basis... and I'm not speaking from personal observation but taking it on good faith from media observers that Bell is getting targeted now as the guy the offense wants to run at.

Premise 3: Evans hasn't yet asserted himself as a force.

Conclusion: We need another option for running downs... a bigger body than Bell, but one who still brings some speed and some ability to navigate blockers.

Could Sam Williams be that option? Getting time at LB? Inquiring minds want to know, DQ.

If memory serves... and it does serve... the Cowboys had some significant success at one time doing something similar... nicknamed Manster.
LVE wasn’t much of a run stopper either. The middle of the defense has been a sieve for as long as I can remember.

_sturt_

Reaction score
LVE wasn’t much of a run stopper either.
He declined after his initial injury, but it was consistently his best contribution to the defense I think you might agree.

Sam Will has the body type, and has the wheels. I hope DQ's thinking about it.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don't know if this has already been kicked around, but if not, maybe it should be.

Premise 1: Most of us acknowledge that even though we have capable DT-1s, we're still not the run-stuffing defense we need to be for the playoffs.

Premise 2: And while Bell has been a tackling machine, he's no replacement for what LVE was capable of doing for us on any kind of consistent basis... and I'm not speaking from personal observation but taking it on good faith from media observers that Bell is getting targeted now as the guy the offense wants to run at.

Premise 3: Evans hasn't yet asserted himself as a force.

Conclusion: We need another option for running downs... a bigger body than Bell, but one who still brings some speed and some ability to navigate blockers.

Could Sam Williams be that option? Getting time at LB? Inquiring minds want to know, DQ.

If memory serves... and it does serve... the Cowboys had some significant success at one time doing something similar... nicknamed Manster.
No. Williams is in no way shape or for form a LB

_sturt_

Reaction score
No. Williams is in no way shape or for form a LB
It's fine to offer an opinion. It's better when there's some supporting reasons for that opinion. Just sayin.

Btw... fwiw... haven't done any deep dive, but Bleacher Report's scouting report on him concluded with this.... not that whoever wrote this is the authoritative voice, but it's at least one independent observer who saw merit in the working theory I've suggested...............................

"Williams would be best as a heavy outside linebacker on a defense that likes to move its pieces around up front often to give him chances to win inside."

kskboys

Reaction score
It's fine to offer an opinion. It's better when there's some supporting reasons for that opinion. Just sayin.

Btw... fwiw... haven't done any deep dive, but Bleacher Report's scouting report on him concluded with this.... not that whoever wrote this is the authoritative voice, but it's at least one independent observer who saw merit in the working theory I've suggested...............................

"Williams would be best as a heavy outside linebacker on a defense that likes to move its pieces around up front often to give him chances to win inside."
I think he lacks the instincts for the position.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I don't think he ever wanted out, he wanted to be freed. As in, give me more snaps.

At least that's how I interpreted it.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
It's not a surprise to me at all that Sam is playing better now, he was injured earlier this Year (turf toe?).

I'm looking for a big second half of the Season for him.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
LVE wasn’t much of a run stopper either. The middle of the defense has been a sieve for as long as I can remember.
LVE is currently 9th in tackles on the Cowboys, despite missing half the games. Which was/is a problem, I agree.

Extrapolating his 5 games to 10 games, he'd be second in overall tackles and first in assists.

Your middle run defense should be handled by your d-line most of the time, not your MLB...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
....isn't that weird. Three weeks ago, he wanted out. (Which was strange)
First, I’ve heard anything about him wanting out. Where did you hear or read this?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He is a pass rusher, not a linebacker. Thats just not in his skill set. Thats trying to pound a round peg into a square hole

Even if he could play linebacker, why would you want him to? Why would you want a pass rusher with double digit sack potential playing a significantly less valuable position like LB

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
We are ALWAYS pushing it on punt block. Literally every block or near block is a near miss on the kicker. Scares the crap out of me.
I agree. Trying to block a punt is to difficult. More often than not it is a roughing the punter rather than a block.

Reactions: CWR