Sam Williams just keeps getting better

Rayman70

Reaction score
Under Fassel, Sam is trying to walk that fine line of being aggressive to make a play on ST and accidentally running into the punter. Sam is good depth but they will opt to not bring him back because they are getting top heavy with big contracts again.
I think he can be a poor mans Terrell Suggs. Thats a great compliment.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yep.

I don’t trust him, or the ST coach for that matter, as far as situational awareness.

If we are trying to get back in a game, or are playing a better team…sure, be aggressive.

But when you’re ahead vs an inferior team you’ve gotta back off getting near the punter.

As a pash rusher, he is part of a pretty nice rotation.
Thats fair but so far we are getting away with the way we are using him.

spice

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The premise of your thread kinda got hi-jacked. I’m like you and noticed a difference in his game and hope it continues

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Keep Micah Parsons at Middle Backer outside of obvious passing downs, makes our D way better and he can run with tight ends and receivers.
He won't like it but he's getting paid to be a chess piece.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
....isn't that weird. Three weeks ago, he wanted out. (Which was strange)

Then something happened to the guy. He began clicking. I dont know what occurred?

Since then, his game has been on the up swing. Anyone else see this?
He finally started getting some snaps. All he ever needed.

krs1bro

Reaction score
this guy has so much potential to be a game wrecker like MP. If he shows up every week unlike earlier in the season when we all thought he just doesn't have it to be a superstar on this defense. I'm in his corner......block the punt!!

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The running into the kicker was him being aggressive after a big punt block previously...nothing wrong this as his confidence has improved his overall game

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
We are ALWAYS pushing it on punt block. Literally every block or near block is a near miss on the kicker. Scares the crap out of me.
That is bones for you, hope Big Mac puts some sense into him in important games

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I think he’d make a heck of a Linebacker. I sort of think he’s playing out of position IMO. Would love to see him blitz more and play the run off ball on 1st/2nd downs. I don’t think the Cowboys are taking advantage of his rare speed.

Thomas82

Reaction score
He's a good player, just needs to cut down on the costly penalties.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Don't know if this has already been kicked around, but if not, maybe it should be.

Premise 1: Most of us acknowledge that even though we have capable DT-1s, we're still not the run-stuffing defense we need to be for the playoffs.

Premise 2: And while Bell has been a tackling machine, he's no replacement for what LVE was capable of doing for us on any kind of consistent basis... and I'm not speaking from personal observation but taking it on good faith from media observers that Bell is getting targeted now as the guy the offense wants to run at.

Premise 3: Evans hasn't yet asserted himself as a force.

Conclusion: We need another option for running downs... a bigger body than Bell, but one who still brings some speed and some ability to navigate blockers.

Could Sam Williams be that option? Getting time at LB? Inquiring minds want to know, DQ.

If memory serves... and it does serve... the Cowboys had some significant success at one time doing something similar... nicknamed Manster.