Saquon mania vs. Ezekiel facts

PoetTree

Reaction score
If one player is more explosive than another and you simply take out each players best run each game... Who does that hurt?

What point are you even making at that point?

Glad you asked...

First off, this isn't about "hurting" anyone. It's simply about taking an in-depth look at their stats, contextually, in order to analyze what kind of player each of them is. It's guys like you who are turning this into a p!$$ing match and acting like I'm somehow trying to hurt Saquon Barkley. The FACT that my more microcosmic look at their stats diminishes Barkley's 2018 season only serves to prove the point I'm making, however anyone does or doesn't feel about it.

If you'll bother to read it, I admit in my original post that Barkley is the more "explosive" back. In fact, I call him probably the most explosive player in the NFL at present. So this idea that I'm just dogging on Saquon is nonsensical.

Rather, I'm making the argument less general in nature and more specific.

There's the "eye-test", and then there's a logical understanding of what we're seeing; and often, those two measurements don't lead to the same conclusion. The comparison between Zeke and Saquon is just such an occasion. Because if all you look at is test-numbers and the amazing things that Saquon, the athlete, can do on the field, then you might surmise that he's the better player. But if you analyze their production in a more intricate, consistent, contextual way --which is precisely what my original missive did-- then it paints a picture of Zeke's dominance in a way that the final tallies don't convey.

The purpose of my analysis was to demonstrate that while Barkley is more explosive, more prone to the big-play, Zeke is the more consistent, reliable, and effective rusher across the far broader number of carries; and frankly, my analysis proves that unequivocally. There really is no debate.

In a 2018 comparison between those two backs, the conclusion above is true.

Not only that, but it's been true throughout every single season they started for a collegiate or professional football team. As I said in my original post, I did earlier breakdowns (not posted here) that demonstrate this trend clearly at Penn State & Ohio State, and now for a single season in the NFL.

Yes, there are a number of circumstances, different players around them, and at best we're making educated speculations. But it's interesting to me that results like are found in my analysis are perfectly consistent no matter the circumstance, the team, or the level of competition.

Saquon Barkley, thus far in his adult football life, is a back who lives or dies off the big-play, while Elliott is a 4-quarter, every-down punisher who dominates all manner of competition, at all stages of the game, and for the entire year; and when you take even just one big-play away from Barkley, the remaining stats demonstrate that he was not nearly as effective on ALL the rest of his runs.

It genuinely startled me when I first undertook this endeavor, starting with his college stats before he was even drafted, at how downright poor some of his outings were aside from one big play in any given game.

It reminds me of Barry Sanders, Saquon's idol, who would often in his career go into the 4th-quarter of a game with a stat-line that looked something like:

17-carries for 54-yards @ 3.17 yards-per-carry

Then, in the 4th-quarter, Barry would hit a 65-yarder & finish with the stat-line:

18-carries for 119-yards @ 6.61 yards-per-carry... in a Lions loss.

--and no doubt, it would be a mega-impressive 65-yard run; career highlight-reel sort of material. The kind of run that makes spectators look back in awe of his sheer ability, and simultaneously ignore the fact that outside of that one run Barry had been bottled up all day, had not given the Lions meaningful production when it mattered, and they lost the game.

That kind of performance was all-too-common with Barry Sanders.

Does that mean Barry wasn't incredible? No, he was amazing. By my estimation, he was the greatest home-run threat from the backfield in NFL history. The Marvel Comics character 'Wolverine' has a tagline that goes:

"He's the best there is at what he does," and that's exactly how I think of Barry Sanders. If the game was on the line, 4th-&-80, and you needed a halfback from all NFL history to hand the ball to in that situation to win the game --there's literally no one I'd choose ahead of Barry Sanders.

But if you wanted to dominate a defense on the ground for 4-quarters, wear them out, pick up first-downs, score touchdowns, and win the game.. ?

There is no one I take for that task before Emmitt Smith.

Again, this quote from Jimmy Johnson about says it all:

"Barry Sanders is incredible with the things he can do with the ball in his hands. So if I'm a fan and I want to watch someone run the ball, I'd want to watch Barry Sanders. But if I'm a coach and I want to win championships, then I'd want Emmitt Smith."

In my opinion, the comparison between Zeke & Barkley is shaping up to be remarkably similar to Emmitt & Barry --and the analysis I offered communicates precisely that. Which is not about putting Saquon down or making excuses for Elliott, but rather merely to examine exactly who & what these players are at a fundamental level.

Saquon is ridiculous with the things he can do with the ball in his hands.

So was Barry Sanders.

And I still believe Emmitt is the #1 running-back in NFL history.

And I believe Ezekiel is the #1 running-back in the NFL today.

Thus far, Saquon has not proven himself, in college or the pros, to be a guy that his team can strap a feed-bag to & ride to victory. They scheme it to him. They get him the ball in space, due to his phenomenal athleticism and ability to make people look silly, and he will semi-regularly (though not every game) make a big-play for his team. But none of his teams have ever been powerhouses because of his contributions --unlike Elliott, who basically willed Ohio State to a championship by rushing for more than 200-yards in three straight games through a gauntlet of what many analysts believe were among the best college teams in recent memory.

No one really thought Ohio State was going to win that title.

No one could really see what Ezekiel was about to do.

--which is the kind of performance Saquon Barkley has never given a team.

Again, this is not to put Barkley down but merely to evaluate who he factually is as a player, beyond what I consider a lot of fan and/or media-hype.

He's incredible, don't get me wrong. Barry was incredible.

But while Barry was over there frustrating teammates and coaches at how often he went off-script to attempt the home-run play, Emmitt was on the field for Dallas driving the pile for 5 when it was blocked for 2, picking up first-downs (literally the most by a WIDE margin in NFL history), & powering a 3-time Super Bowl-winning offense that was a shell of itself without him.

Barry has the better highlight-reel.

Emmitt was the better, more important player.

And based on all the empirical data we have thus far, I feel similarly about Zeke and Saquon Barkley --who racked-up over 40% of his entire SEASON'S rushing production on only 16-carries, and averaged barely over 3 yards-per-carry on the other 94% of his touches.

Hey, if you can look at that data & I think I'm cuckoo for my opinion, then frankly, I don't think you've really thought it through...

Last edited:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You do no more than claim victory with no basis. Oh and wishcast for variable that support your side of the argument.

Since your so concerned with relative intelligence, perhaps you should try to come up with an intelligent argument about your -to this point- undefined and undeclared variables. Given past experience I will not be holding my breath. I expect your usual appeal to emotion and ad hominem.

#irony

Fuzzy tactics #86: When the other person provides the requested information simply ignore it. Ask for it again. Rinse. Repeat.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Glad you asked...

First off, this isn't about "hurting" anyone. It's simply about taking an in-depth look at their stats, contextually, in order to analyze what kind of player each of them is. It's guys like you who are turning this into a p!$$ing match and acting like I'm somehow trying to hurt Saquon Barkley. The FACT that my more microcosmic look at their stats diminishes Barkley's 2018 season only serves to prove the point I'm making, however anyone does or doesn't feel about it.

If you'll bother to read it, I admit in my original post that Barkley is the more "explosive" back. In fact, I call him probably the most explosive player in the NFL at present. So this idea that I'm just dogging on Saquon is nonsensical.

There's the "eye-test", and then there's a logical understanding of what we're seeing; and often, those two measurements don't lead to the same conclusion. The comparison between Zeke and Saquon is just such an occasion. Because if all you look at is test-numbers and the amazing things that Saquon, the athlete, can do on the field, then you might surmise that he's the better player. But if you analyze their production in a more intricate, consistent, contextual way --which is precisely what my original missive did-- then it paints a picture of Zeke's dominance in a way that the final tallies don't convey.

The purpose of my analysis was to demonstrate that while Barkley is more explosive, more prone to the big-play, Zeke is the more consistent, reliable, and effective rusher across the far broader number of carries; and frankly, my analysis proves that unequivocally. There really is no debate.

Not only that, but it's been true throughout every single season they started for a collegiate or professional football team. As I said in my original post, I did earlier breakdowns (not posted here) that demonstrate this trend clearly at Penn State & Ohio State, and now for a single season in the NFL.

Yes, there are a number of circumstances, different players around them, and at best we're making educated speculations. But it's interesting to me that results like are found in my analysis are perfectly consistent no matter the circumstance, the team, or the level of competition.

Saquon Barkley, thus far in his adult football life, is a back who lives or dies off the big-play, while Elliott is a 4-quarter, every-down punisher who dominates all manner of competition, at all stages of the game, and for the entire year; and when you take even just one big-play away from Barkley, the remaining stats demonstrate that he was not nearly as effective on ALL the rest of his runs.

It genuinely startled me when I first undertook this endeavor, starting with his college stats before he was even drafted, at how downright poor some of his outings were aside from one big play in any given game.

It reminds me of Barry Sanders, Saquon's idol, who would often in his career go into the 4th-quarter of a game with a stat-line that looked something like:

Then, in the 4th-quarter, Barry would hit a 65-yarder & finish with the stat-line:

--and no doubt, it would be a mega-impressive 65-yard run; career highlight-reel sort of material. The kind of run that makes spectators look back in awe of his sheer ability, and simultaneously ignore the fact that outside of that one run Barry had been bottled up all day, had not given the Lions meaningful production when it mattered, and they lost the game.

Does that mean Barry wasn't incredible? No, he was amazing. By my estimation, he was the greatest home-run threat from the backfield in NFL history. The Marvel Comics character 'Wolverine' has a tagline that goes:

"He's the best there is at what he does," and that's exactly how I think of Barry Sanders. If the game was on the line, 4th-&-80, and you needed a halfback from all NFL history to hand the ball to in that situation to win the game --there's literally no one I'd choose ahead of Barry Sanders.

But if you wanted to dominate a defense on the ground for 4-quarters, wear them out, pick up first-downs, score touchdowns, and win the game.. ?

"Barry Sanders is incredible with the things he can do with the ball in his hands. So if I'm a fan and I want to watch someone run the ball, I'd want to watch Barry Sanders. But if I'm a coach and I want to win championships, then I'd want Emmitt Smith."

In my opinion, the comparison between Zeke & Barkley is shaping up to be remarkably similar to Emmitt & Barry --and the analysis I offered communicates precisely that. Which is not about putting Saquon down or making excuses for Elliott, but rather merely to examine exactly who & what these players are at a fundamental level.

So was Barry Sanders.

Thus far, Saquon has not proven himself, in college or the pros, to be a guy that his team can strap a feed-bag to & ride to victory. They scheme it to him. They get him the ball in space, due to his phenomenal athleticism and ability to make people look silly, and he will semi-regularly (though not every game) make a big-play for his team. But none of his teams have ever been powerhouses because of his contributions --unlike Elliott, who basically willed Ohio State to a championship by rushing for more than 200-yards in three straight games through a gauntlet of what many analysts believe were among the best college teams in recent memory.

Again, this is not to put Barkley down but merely to evaluate who he factually is as a player, beyond what I consider a lot of fan and/or media-hype.

But while Barry was over there frustrating teammates and coaches at how often he went off-script to attempt the home-run play, Emmitt was on the field for Dallas driving the pile for 5 when it was blocked for 2, picking up first-downs (literally the most by a WIDE margin in NFL history), & powering a 3-time Super Bowl-winning offense that was a shell of itself without him.

And based on all the empirical data we have thus far, I feel similarly about Zeke and Saquon Barkley --who racked-up over 40% of his entire SEASON'S rushing production on only 16-carries, and averaged barely over 3 yards-per-carry on the other 94% of his touches.

Hey, if you can look at that data & I think I'm cuckoo for my opinion, then frankly, I don't think you've really thought it through...
Well done

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've always preferred the workhorse backs over the flash. People tend to take for granted and underrate the ability to carry the load game after game, season after season when everyone and their mother knows you're getting the football. Give me Emmitt over Barry. He helps a team more. He's reliable. I can count on him.

As of right now, Zeke is the better RB but if Barkley can carry the load and prove durable we'd have to re-evaluate that. I have my doubts that he can. Very few can for any length of time which is why Ezekiel Elliott is a special player.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I've always preferred the workhorse backs over the flash. People tend to take for granted and underrate the ability to carry the load game after game, season after season when everyone and their mother knows you're getting the football. Give me Emmitt over Barry. He helps a team more. He's reliable. I can count on him.

As of right now, Zeke is the better RB but if Barkley can carry the load and prove durable we'd have to re-evaluate that. I have my doubts that he can. Very few can for any length of time which is why Ezekiel Elliott is a special player.
In case you didn’t know Zeke has only played for 3 years.

PoetTree

Reaction score
"I think Emmitt Smith is the best running back in the NFL. I think Barry Sanders is the best runner with the ball in his hand. He is not the best running back." --Jimmy Johnson, after leaving the 'boys

"
Emmitt is the greatest runner the world has ever known. For consistent, downhill, coming-at-you running, it's Emmitt all day long." --Warren Sapp, who played Barry twice a year for almost a decade

"Barry probably loses more yards in a game rushing than most backs, maybe all the National Football League backs. But we're not gonna change his style of running. Every time Barry touches the ball, Barry's looking to get the big one. If the hole is plugged up, he's looking somewhere else. If there's a little bit of a hole, he's looking for a bigger hole. Barry looks for, uh, always looks for an opening, looks for a hole, where Emmitt will take the ball into a crack and get 5-or-6, where Barry will not take the crack & take it outside and maybe lose 3-or-4 yards, but might get 15."
--Wayne Fontes, Lions head-coach

"Sometimes you wish, 'Barry, just hit it up in there and get 3-yards'.
--Chris Spielman, former Lions LB, Barry's teammate

"(Barry Sanders) is the best touch-football player who ever lived." --Dan Henning, Barry's offensive coordinator

Zeke vs. Saquon is shaping up with a similar narrative already...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Workhorse? Barkley had the second most touches in the league last year with no injuries.
There's proof that the opposite is true whether a home run hitter or workhouse helps a team more, so false.

As of right now you're in the minority that Zeke is a better RB than Barkley.

aria

Reaction score
I don’t get how people can definitively say Zeke is more of a work horse when Barkley had 40 less touches but was targeted on more passes, had more receptions and more overall yards. The only argument that makes sense is Zeke has been in the league longer but saying Barkley isn’t as much as a work horse based off one season is asinine.

It can also be argued he had to work harder for his yards playing behind an O line that was so horrendous for half the season that they fired 2 starters, maybe 3, and Barkley had the fastest time of contact by defenders after being handed the ball more than any other RB IIRC (I need to look for that to be sure).

BTW, Barkley was only the third RB EVER to have over 2,000 yards his rookie year, set the rookie record for most games of 100 yards or more from the line of scrimmage, set the rookie record for most receptions, tied the rookie record for the most TD’s of 50 yards or more...I could go on but it’s already clear he’s not a work horse :rolleyes:

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score

You're going to have to define "workhorse back" to these guys!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Nice post but no mention of the immense difference in O lines.
Yes, there was!!!! Turns out the Gnats run blocking was better than the Cowboys run blocking!!!

Unless that doesn't fit your agenda, then you can find a sight that says more of what you want !!!!!!!!!!!!

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I don’t get how people can definitively say Zeke is more of a work horse when Barkley had 40 less touches but was targeted on more passes, had more receptions and more overall yards. The only argument that makes sense is Zeke has been in the league longer but saying Barkley isn’t as much as a work horse based off one season is asinine.

It can also be argued he had to work harder for his yards playing behind an O line that was so horrendous for half the season that they fired 2 starters, maybe 3, and Barkley had the fastest time of contact by defenders after being handed the ball more than any other RB IIRC (I need to look for that to be sure).

BTW, Barkley was only the third RB EVER to have over 2,000 yards his rookie year, set the rookie record for most games of 100 yards or more from the line of scrimmage, set the rookie record for most receptions, tied the rookie record for the most TD’s of 50 yards or more...I could go on but it’s already clear he’s not a work horse :rolleyes:
Also,,,And,,,needless to say, was robbed of a lengthy T.D. rambling scamper ONCE the legendary #38 unleashed his league renowned Heath seeking missile of footballish crushing denial upon him ,,,from a fer piece of behind distance,,,Too!:yourock:

:starspin:o_O:starspin:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
#irony

Fuzzy tactics #86: When the other person provides the requested information simply ignore it. Ask for it again. Rinse. Repeat.

What information? The variables you have been wishcasting for?

OL performance and defensive fronts faced has already been addressed. I have yet to see you do more in this thread than doing the peanut gallery routine you normally do.

And of course this post is pure ad hominem as expected.

Last edited:

Thomas82

Reaction score
Glad you asked...

So was Barry Sanders.

I don't see a single lie in this post.

Insomniac

Reaction score
If you cant understand the importance of how good Zeke is at grinding yards, there isn't much we can do to help you..nobody in the league gets dirty yards like Zeke

So one RB plays with one of the top run blocking O lines and the other plays with one of the worst OLs and this stat proves exactly what?

Is there some kind of correlation to having a better per carry average when you take out the best run and the team winning games? Is it a repeatable skill with different quality OLs for individual RBs?