Saquon mania vs. Ezekiel facts

aria

Reaction score
Here’s 16 minutes with plenty of examples of how good his vision is, not a few plays which anyone can point out about any running back.

PoetTree

Reaction score
This video should be a Will Hernandez highlight video, not Barkley. Hernandez is their best O lineman but this video hardly proves that Saquon didn’t have food run blocking just because of one player. Baldy doesn’t mention Solder who was well below average for the first half of the season.

My understanding is that from center to left tackle the Giants had a strong run-blocking unit, whereas their RG and RT were the weak-links. New York extended their young center recently. They like him a lot.

Flowers was their right tackle, but his problem was pass-blocking and he's a fairly solid run-blocker (though he lunges too much). That he was getting his quarterback killed is why they finally let him go. RG was a weakness, sure.

But do you think Dallas didn't have weaknesses with Looney, Connor Williams, MCL-sprained Zack Martin, no-hand La'El and Cam Fleming subbing in for strained-elbow Tyron Smith? Not to mention the fired o-line coach. Not to mention no #1 receiver for half the season, while the Giants had Odell Beckham & an Eli Manning having one of the best seasons of his career.

My suggestion is to consider the o-lines ostensibly a push and just look to their production, because I think it's the real story here...

PoetTree

Reaction score
Again, more cherry picking. Would you like me to post a highlight reel of all the runs he had where he does show great vision? How about I bring up how Zeke stepped out of bounds without a defender within 10 yards of him in what would have been a TD and possibly a win instead of a loss? Would that prove he has horrible vision?

There's no cherry-picking.

He averaged 3.19 yards-per-carry on 94% of his carries all season long.

It's you who are cherry-picking and ignoring the obvious mean.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

“There is no cherry picking!”

Immediately presents cherry picked nonsense.

Please stop embarrassing yourself. Everyone is laughing at your nonsense.

aria

Reaction score
My understanding is that from center to left tackle the Giants had a strong run-blocking unit, whereas their RG and RT were the weak-links. New York extended their young center recently. They like him a lot.

Flowers was their right tackle, but his problem was pass-blocking and he's a fairly solid run-blocker (though he lunges too much). That he was getting his quarterback killed is why they finally let him go. RG was a weakness, sure.

But do you think Dallas didn't have weaknesses with Looney, Connor Williams, MCL-sprained Zack Martin, no-hand La'El and Cam Fleming subbing in for strained-elbow Tyron Smith? Not to mention the fired o-line coach. Not to mention no #1 receiver for half the season, while the Giants had Odell Beckham & an Eli Manning having one of the best seasons of his career.

My suggestion is to consider the o-lines ostensibly a push and just look to their production, because I think it's the real story here...
Dallas had their own problems for sure but are you telling me you would have switched O lines, even just for rushing, with the NY Giants? Also, the Giants did get better which isn’t saying much but for the first half of the season that line was a dumpster fire. I think having a fired O line coach is better than firing 2-3 of your starters midway through the season. Their starting center was also out most of the season.I may be wrong but I think the only two constants from day one that team were Solder (most overpaid tackle in the league) and Hernandez who does appear to be a stud. The rest were either hurt or would be back ups on other teams at best (at least for part of the season).

And TBH, if you truly want to be accurate and compare what Saquon did his rookie year to Zeke’s then you should be using the Cowboys 2016 O line compared to the Giants 2018 O line and that should settle any debate over who had the better O line by a mile.

kskboys

Reaction score
So you’re just going to ignore this? Or does not fit your agenda? Not to mention anyone who watched either team would have seen the clear difference. NY had three starters on the O line that they cut half way through the season, that’s how bad they were. They had Erek Flowers starting. Ya get that? Ever even hear of the guy? Barkley also had the shortest amount of contact between when the ball was hiked to when he touched it, more than any other RB but the Cowboys O line was worse...ok.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
No agenda here, sweetie!!!!!

Basically, there should be no argument here. EZ is a better grinder, Barkley is a better big play guy. If that's not obvious to anyone, they need to either drink more or less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: G2

aria

Reaction score

Whoever brought up ypc and how is that relevant to what I quoted you on? But if you really want to pick apart stats we can do that.

aria

Reaction score

Basically, there should be no argument here. EZ is a better grinder, Barkley is a better big play guy. If that's not obvious to anyone, they need to either drink more or less!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mmmmmm....sweetie!

I just don’t see how you can say that when Barkley played behind a much worse O line than Zeke had his rookie year, had more all purpose yards than Zeke, had a better ypc average than Zeke because he does have better vision and speed to make those big plays and is one of 3 rookies to ever break 2000 all purpose yards.

But you called me sweetie so let’s drop it ;)

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

But Zeke isn’t a “grinder”... in 2016 he had more 30 yard runs than all but one player (Ajayi). Did he suddenly change his style of running out of nowhere or did the circumstances around him change? Similarly I can show you numerous instances of Barkley “grinding”. These labels on a couple of great backs are dumb.
The OP is a long-winded troll lecturing as if he is a mathematics professor when in fact he flunked out of college algebra. He’s just a homer working backwards to get the results he wants with no idea of how to do true statistical analysis. Ignore him.

PoetTree

Reaction score

Listing the results from 94% of his opportunities is not cherry-picking.

Boasting about what he did on 6% of his production as if it is the norm is the definition of cherry-picking...

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride

kskboys

Reaction score
in m
Mmmmmm....sweetie!

I just don’t see how you can say that when Barkley played behind a much worse O line than Zeke had his rookie year, had more all purpose yards than Zeke, had a better ypc average than Zeke because he does have better vision and speed to make those big plays and is one of 3 rookies to ever break 2000 all purpose yards.

But you called me sweetie so let’s drop it ;)
Basically, this really isn't that hard to figure out. EZ is a better inside grinder, Barks is a better outside slasher. Now, EZ can run outside well and Barks can run inside well. Both are well rounded backs who do everything well. Each is better than the other at what they are best at.

kskboys

Reaction score
But Zeke isn’t a “grinder”... in 2016 he had more 30 yard runs than all but one player (Ajayi). Did he suddenly change his style of running out of nowhere or did the circumstances around him change? Similarly I can show you numerous instances of Barkley “grinding”. These labels on a couple of great backs are dumb.
The OP is a long-winded troll lecturing as if he is a mathematics professor when in fact he flunked out of college algebra. He’s just a homer working backwards to get the results he wants with no idea of how to do true statistical analysis. Ignore him.
He really is.

Grinders run outside and slashers run inside.

Calling labels dumb is...well it's dumb!!!! That's like saying calling Cam Newton a mobile QB is dumb. Yes, Cam can pass also, but he is moble.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, more cherry picking. Would you like me to post a highlight reel of all the runs he had where he does show great vision? How about I bring up how Zeke stepped out of bounds without a defender within 10 yards of him in what would have been a TD and possibly a win instead of a loss? Would that prove he has horrible vision?

Yes, post those videos. Prove your point(s)

And Zeke step out of bounds?
More like Zeke would run into them, over them, hurdle them. If Zeke ran out of bounds it was to stop the clock.

Edit, I seen your posted video, but what about Zeke running out of bounds. I am sure it happened, but most RB's do at some point. I just do not recall Zeke doing that unless it was to stop the clock. Or he knew the run was not going to go anywhere, if there were multiple defenders there.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Listing the results from 94% of his opportunities is not cherry-picking.

Boasting about what he did on 6% of his production as if it is the norm is the definition of cherry-picking...

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, Princess Bride
It’s cherry picking because you are magically deciding to lift that 6% with no justification at all. You think they’re outliers, but you don’t know what an outlier is. You think you’re a math wiz, but you’re a high school dropout. You think you’re long winded posts are “research”, but they’re gibberish. You’re just a homer.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Fixating on 9 runs and ignoring the other 251 is cherry picking not the other way around.

The standard deviation of Barkley's run set is 10.5. The first regression would be biasing out anything over 30 yards. What poet did is statistically justifiable.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
It’s cherry picking because you are magically deciding to lift that 6% with no justification at all. You think they’re outliers, but you don’t know what an outlier is. You think you’re a math wiz, but you’re a high school dropout. You think you’re long winded posts are “research”, but they’re gibberish. You’re just a homer.

You seem upset.

It helps if you are going to tell someone that they don't know what they are talking about the explain how they are wrong. You do no more than insult. It's not compelling; quite the contrary.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Fixating on 9 runs and ignoring the other 251 is cherry picking not the other way around.

The standard deviation of Barkley's run set is 10.5. The first regression would be biasing out anything over 30 yards. What poet did is statistically justifiable.
No it isn’t. He removed the longest run from each game for no particular good reason. Like I said before,
against the Bears Barkley managed 125 yards on 24 carries and had, among others, a 29, a 22 and a 14 yard run. Where’s the outlier?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No it isn’t. He removed the longest run from each game for no particular good reason. Like I said before,
against the Bears Barkley managed 125 yards on 24 carries and had, among others, a 29, a 22 and a 14 yard run. Where’s the outlier?

You think removing all their runs of 30 yards or more instead is going to change the outcome?

It actually makes his case more plain.