Sarcasm: Tyron Smith in mid-season form!

conner01

Reaction score
This is what people have been saying for 5 years and we inevitably arrive at the same spot year after year.
He’s not someone you can depend on 17 games
But the 14 you get out of him are much better than the avg LT in the nfl
I’m not a huge PFF fan but they had him the second best LT last year. they obviously are preparing for 2024 when he will be gone but using a first round pick and several mid round picks in last few years
But the next couple years he is the best LT option we have and still one of the top LT in the game

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
He just had a really solid season in the games he played and we just used a first round pick
Solid maybe for an average OT, but outside of a game here and there he looked like his old self, he just doesn't have his tank full to play at the elite level we loved watching him play at. We need a LT that be counted on to protect Dak, as it is clear as day that our QB1 needs pieces around him to play at an elite level in order to be successful

conner01

Reaction score
Solid maybe for an average OT, but outside of a game here and there he looked like his old self, he just doesn't have his tank full to play at the elite level we loved watching him play at. We need a LT that be counted on to protect Dak, as it is clear as day that our QB1 needs pieces around him to play at an elite level in order to be successful
He gave up 2 sacks and had the second highest rating for a LT. When on the field he is still playing at a very high level and better than the vast majority of LT in the nfl. He’s missed games and he will likely miss more but 12-14 games from him will be at a much better level than anyone else on the team. He has two years left on his contract so time to look to the future, which they have. But the next 2 years he’s gonna be the LT

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I hear you. But he has not played a full season since 2015 and has missed 32 games in the last 6 seasons. So there’s that.

Exactamundo... history tells us that these nagging "minor " injuries TSmith gets usually end up keeping him out of games the past six seasons averaging over 5 games per year. And that's not even counting those games he plays hurt. The best times have past him by and his body shows the wear and tear.... guess he just wants to play out his contract at least. He's signed thru 2023.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Exactly back tightness is NOT an injury. Every man over 30 has woke up with a stiff back. It goes away in a day or two and you're good as new. 100% nothingburger.
I agree when we're talking about ordinary people. Back stiffness is a such a general term like back spasms. With his history I would say his back has been an issue and will continue to be an issue that will only get worse. Since he isn't the dominate player he was I think they should look at being prepared for if he goes down by grooming his replacement.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Isn’t that why we drafted smith?
Seems the team is preparing for that day
We drafted two tackles in this last draft and one the year before
But 13-14 games by Tyron is better than most tackles in the league
But you have to prepare for the future which they seem to be doing

That's the thing about Smith Jr.: he can fill in at tackle in a pinch if you need him too. So the whole position flex thing with our players. They are trying to make it a team that if one player goes down, there's not too much drop off in talent. That's what it seems like to me. So much more talent in the talent pool these days, they can afford to look for it.