Twitter: SAS: Dak Prescott should be making at least $25M

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, we disagree. Dak is under contract. The Cowboys have no need to negotiate with him, this year, unless they wish to do so. They had no obligation to pay him more then his slotted Rookie salary but they did. They are in a position of strength right now, in terms of his contract and it is not only reasonable but wise to see more from him before giving him a mega deal. Dak's level is mid level. That's the problem. Some see him as top 5 or 10 when the truth is he is mid level at this point in his development.

According to the current Transition Tag salary, the agreed upon salary that a QB would make right now is a little over 23 million per year. That is not a random number, it is an average of top salaries. So yes, 23 does fall into that range, as agreed upon in the CBA.

They do need to negotiate with him this year, but I agree completely that it doesn't have to be right now, and that there may be some benefit to seeing a little more of him before starting into the negotiation. Accordingly, if they were to wait until sometime in the middle of the season I see nothing wrong with that. But they don't want to wait until after the season to start the negotiation and then have to scramble last minute to try and make something happen before he becomes a free agent. That would just create the possibility of another prolonged D-Law kind of situation. Plus, if they wait until after the season and are forced to tag him while they negotiate they will lose the ability to tag someone else, and they should at least make a reasonable effort to get something done before that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They do need to negotiate with him this year, but I agree completely that it doesn't have to be right now, and that there may be some benefit to seeing a little more of him before starting into the negotiation. Accordingly, if they were to wait until sometime in the middle of the season I see nothing wrong with that. But they don't want to wait until after the season to start the negotiation and then have to scramble last minute to try and make something happen before he becomes a free agent. That would just create the possibility of another prolonged D-Law kind of situation. Plus, if they wait until after the season and are forced to tag him while they negotiate they will lose the ability to tag someone else, and they should at least make a reasonable effort to get something done before that.

We do not agree at all. There is absolutely no reason to force a contract now. In fact, I would rather pay more later and see what he actually is then pay a little less now and save a few million. You make the wrong decision here and you have screwed up your cap and your team for several years. All the work that has gone into collecting talent and signing players is all for not. I don't understand why both sides don't see the value of a shorter contract for less dollars. It gives both sides what they want, assuming Dak is what you think he is. If Dak signs a short deal now, he is on the market again at 26/27 and ready to cash in for the biggest payday in the History of the NFL. If he doesn't play well, he isn't seeing another big payday IMO. He's probably a backup type player if that's the case. I mean, he can probably sign a two year extension, right now for 23 Mil and that's not exactly chump change.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
By most statistical measures, Dak is in the middle of the pack for QB's. He isn't awful but he isn't one of the top QB's either.

I know a lot of teams are backing up the Brinks truck for their QB's but that doesn't make it right. If you pay your mediocre QB the same as the top guys get paid, you are automatically at a disadvantage versus them. If the goal is to win a super bowl, you don't give Dak 25 to 30m per year.

As a side note, what really matters is the structure. If Dak's cap hit is low for the next few years then you can put a title team around him and perhaps have to eat a lot of dead money years from now.

Plenty of things about Dak that are not average. Even for a 3rd year QB. Actually being statistically in the middle in a run first, conservative, boring offense in only your 3rd year is actually great for a young QB.

And when you look at his statistics when he is surrounded by good to great talent, his numbers get up into the 5-10 range.

In clutch situations he is tops in the NFL. Probably the most important stat there is for a QB. He protects the ball and in a dual threat setting he is one of the best.

Durability, leadership, all tops in the NFL. The kid is a winner and he rallies the troops and they love him. All more important then how many yards he throws for or TD passes.

These early contracts are also about projecting.

Last year when the Oline coach was fired and Cooper came on his numbers dramatically improved.

If you take his last 8 games and project this over a 16 game season he would have 4400 yards passing and 32 TD's with a passer rating of 102. Great numbers in a run first offense.

Take into account the return of Frederick, an offseason for Williams and Gallup, a full offseason for Cooper, the return of Witten and the addition of Cobb. Then look at some new wrinkles and Moore calling plays and you have the recipe for even more improvement.

Lots of things to be excited about with this offense.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Scoff's a bit too dramatic, I'm sure he thinks he's worth more, but I seriously doubt the thinks he's worth anything close to what a two time SB quarterback (and essentially a two time winner, if Carroll had called for a run at the end of the game likely they'd have won the SB the second time) just got. Rodgers is no. 2 and he's won a SB as well. Ryan gets $30, and he's also been to a SB.

$25 mil would make him tied for 7th in the league in average salary.

But like I said, even if he gets $28 mil, by the time his contract has run a couple of years the top 7 salaries could well be over $30 mil, so $28 mil would be a "bargain" (irrespective of SBs, etc, just talking quarterback salaries)...
The Cowboys are going to pay what Dak and his Agent feel is the market rate for a franchise QB. Right now I would say your $28M/Yr. number is a starting point, but as always, the devil is in the guarantees and payout structure. If Mahomes gets extended before Dak, the number will be over $30M/Yr.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We do not agree at all. There is absolutely no reason to force a contract now. In fact, I would rather pay more later and see what he actually is then pay a little less now and save a few million. You make the wrong decision here and you have screwed up your cap and your team for several years. All the work that has gone into collecting talent and signing players is all for not. I don't understand why both sides don't see the value of a shorter contract for less dollars. It gives both sides what they want, assuming Dak is what you think he is. If Dak signs a short deal now, he is on the market again at 26/27 and ready to cash in for the biggest payday in the History of the NFL. If he doesn't play well, he isn't seeing another big payday IMO. He's probably a backup type player if that's the case. I mean, he can probably sign a two year extension, right now for 23 Mil and that's not exactly chump change.

I'm confused … I specifically said the contract negotiation does not have to happen right now, and your response was that you disagree because the contract negotiation does not have to happen right now.

As for Dak being what I think he is - what do you believe I think he is? I have never said I was all in or completely convinced of Dak, I have only talked about how his contract will have to be handled if the team wants to sign him to a long term deal. If the team isn't confident he is the guy they shouldn't offer him a long term contract at all, even at the $23 million you suggested. That would be pointless. Even though that would be under market value, why would the team offer that much money to a guy they feel they will have to upgrade?

They have to decide if they believe he is the right guy, and if so, negotiate at some point before his contract expires within a reasonable price range that reflects market value, or if not they need to move another direction altogether. They can't *****foot around with something in between and either end up paying a lot of money for a QB they don't believe in, or losing a QB they do believe in.

As for why both sides don't opt for shorter term contracts, the obvious reason is that it provides no long term assurances for either side. If a team believes in a player they obviously want him committed to the team for a number of years rather than risk having to scramble for a new QB every couple of years, and a player obviously wants to lock in his financial future to protect against injury or anything else negatively affecting his career and earning potential.

Last edited:

romonumberone

Reaction score
Plenty of things about Dak that are not average. Even for a 3rd year QB. Actually being statistically in the middle in a run first, conservative, boring offense in only your 3rd year is actually great for a young QB.

And when you look at his statistics when he is surrounded by good to great talent, his numbers get up into the 5-10 range.

In clutch situations he is tops in the NFL. Probably the most important stat there is for a QB. He protects the ball and in a dual threat setting he is one of the best.

Durability, leadership, all tops in the NFL. The kid is a winner and he rallies the troops and they love him. All more important then how many yards he throws for or TD passes.

Last year when the Oline coach was fired and Cooper came on his numbers dramatically improved.

If you take his last 8 games and project this over a 16 game season he would have 4400 yards passing and 32 TD's with a passer rating of 102. Great numbers in a run first offense.

Take into account the return of Frederick, an offseason for Williams and Gallup, a full offseason for Cooper, the return of Witten and the addition of Cobb. Then look at some new wrinkles and Moore calling plays and you have the recipe for even more improvement.

I think he is below average. How is 20-16 a winner? You have studs all across the board on offense & defense. When even one stud is out on offense Dak struggles. If Tyron is not playing he sucks, If Zeke is not playing he sucks, without Amari he sucked.

Everyone is so jacked that Frederick is coming back..... but do you realize how injury free the Cowboys were last year. Odds are this year that they lose 2-3 key players. And than we will hear the excuses. I don't like excuses. The Cowboys schedule is absolutely brutal this year. It is very likely they finish 8-8 or 9-7 this year. If they do not start out 3-0 they are screwed. The part of their schedule where they play bad teams is at the start of the year. But even the bad teams come out and play hard for the first few weeks before they realize that they again suck.

What happens when you are paying Prescott $30 million a year so you have to say goodbye to Zeke, & Jaylon, & Collins.

I cannot understand how you say he protects the ball. The dude fumbles a lot! Add those in your stats. The offense a lot of times was anemic last year. I love Witten but he brings very little to the table at this point. Cobb is not going to put up big numbers going away from being Aaron Rodgers go to WR to being a 3rd or 4th option here.

What leadership are you referring to? When he wins a SB than we can give him credit for some intangible. Yes he is incredibly durable. The stats look nice because he never takes risks he is literally Captain Checkdown. The only stats we should look at is how is the Offense performing and how many games does the team win. Last year the Offense was below average to average. Getting shut out by the Colts was embarrassing. What had it been 16 years since that happened. What about the year before when they set records of new lows in offensive efficiency. As far as wins and losses he is 20 wins in his last 36 games. Very average. Again that is with a very good defense and good special teams.

So the offense is below average so far..... and that is with studs at every position outside of QB. And even with a very good Defense the team is barely above average in terms of wins. And you want to make him one of the highest ever paid football players of all time.

If with this schedule Dak goes out and goes 12-4 and the Offense performs than I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I hope I am. I really hope the Cowboys exercise patience on this thing.

csirl

Reaction score
The reason our offense is so anemic even though its loaded in most positions is due to Daks limitations. He cannot make every throw.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think he is below average. You have studs all across the board on offense & defense. When even one stud is out on offense Dak struggles. If Tyron is not playing he sucks, If Zeke is not playing he sucks, without Amari he sucked.

. Odds are this year that they lose 2-3 key players. And than we will hear the excuses. I don't like excuses. The Cowboys schedule is absolutely brutal this year. It is very likely they finish 8-8 or 9-7 this year. If they do not start out 3-0 they are screwed. The part of their schedule where they play bad teams is at the start of the year. But even the bad teams come out and play hard for the first few weeks before they realize that they again suck.

What happens when you are paying Prescott $30 million a year so you have to say goodbye to Zeke, & Jaylon, & Collins.

I cannot understand how you say he protects the ball. The dude fumbles a lot! Add those in your stats. The offense a lot of times was anemic last year. I love Witten but he brings very little to the table at this point. Cobb is not going to put up big numbers going away from being Aaron Rodgers go to WR to being a 3rd or 4th option here.

Yes he is incredibly durable. The stats look nice because he never takes risks he is literally Captain Checkdown. The only stats we should look at is how is the Offense performing and how many games does the team win. Last year the Offense was below average to average. Getting shut out by the Colts was embarrassing. What had it been 16 years since that happened. What about the year before when they set records of new lows in offensive efficiency. As far as wins and losses he is 20 wins in his last 36 games. Very average. Again that is with a very good defense and good special teams.

So the offense is below average so far..... and that is with studs at every position outside of QB. And even with a very good Defense the team is barely above average in terms of wins. And you want to make him one of the highest ever paid football players of all time.

If with this schedule Dak goes out and goes 12-4 and the Offense performs than I will be the first to admit I was wrong. I hope I am. I really hope the Cowboys exercise patience on this thing.

romonumberone!!! LOL

Well I guess it all makes sense. I was going to ask you where all the hate and anger came from but then its obvious with your name. You are another Romo cry baby. That is usually the case when a poster spews soo much hatred.

Let me just pick out a few things in your response that shows how its obvious you really dont understand football as much as you should:

What leadership are you referring to? When he wins a SB than we can give him credit for some intangible.

First of all, if the only way you can tell that a guy has good leadership is after he wins a SB, then surely your not very good at seeing the signs of a true leader. And the fact that you suggest that a 3rd year QB should already be expected to be winning a SB shows a complete lack of knowledge of young QB development and expectations.

As an example of leadership, he leads the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime wins since he has come into the league. That defines leadership.

How is 20-16 a winner?

Again, not sure what you are talking about here. The Cowboys are 32-16 under Dak in his first 3 years. In fact, other than Tom Brady, he leads the NFL in wins over the past 3 seasons since he has come into the league.

Everyone is so jacked that Frederick is coming back..... but do you realize how injury free the Cowboys were last year.

This is rather troubling as well. You mention Frederick's injury and then go on to say how injury free they were? A contradiction. Then you seem baffled by everyone being so jacked about getting Frederick back. Yet you just witnessed what happened to the Oline play and pass protection when he wasnt there. Cowboys fell to 31st in pass protection with him not there and a rookie at guard.

QB's need protection to do their jobs properly and consistently. They also need weapons. When they are young and developing that is even more important. You seem to fail to grasp this basic concept.

When a young QB is drafted, its the GM's job to surround him with talent so he can do his job to the best of his abilities. This all QB's. Dak has proven already in his young career that when given talent around him, he plays great.

Just look around the league at other top QB's. Be my guest to make a list of the best QB's that dont have talent around them.

So Dak doesnt play well when he has little talent to throw to? duuurrr OK? Makes sense.

So Dak doesnt play well when he loses pro bowl centers and pro bowl left tackles and has a rookie guard? Duuuuurrr OK? Makes sense

So Dak doesnt play well when he loses his pro bowl running back and pro bowl left tackle in a run first offense in only his second year? Duuuuurr OK? Makes sense.

And despite all the things you mentioned he has still:

-Won rookie of the year
-Made Two pro bowls
-Never had a losing season
-4-3 without Zeke
-Two playoff appearances
-playoff victory
-2nd only to Tom Brady in wins
-Leads the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime wins

All in only his first 3 years

:thumbup::flagwave::clap::grin:

Last edited:

romonumberone

Reaction score
romonumberone!!! LOL

Well I guess it all makes sense. I was going to ask you where all the hate and anger came from but then its obvious with your name. You are another Romo cry baby. That is usually the case when a poster spews soo much hatred.

Let me just pick out a few things in your response that shows how its obvious you really dont understand football as much as you should:

What leadership are you referring to? When he wins a SB than we can give him credit for some intangible.

First of all, if the only way you can tell that a guy has good leadership is after he wins a SB, then surely your not very good at seeing the signs of a true leader. And the fact that you suggest that a 3rd year QB should already be expected to be winning a SB shows a complete lack of knowledge of young QB development and expectations.

As an example of leadership, he leads the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime wins since he has come into the league. That defines leadership.

How is 20-16 a winner?

Again, not sure what you are talking about here. The Cowboys are 32-16 under Dak in his first 3 years. In fact, other than Tom Brady, he leads the NFL in wins over the past 3 seasons since he has come into the league.

Everyone is so jacked that Frederick is coming back..... but do you realize how injury free the Cowboys were last year.

This is rather troubling as well. You mention Frederick's injury and then go on to say how injury free they were? A contradiction. Then you seem baffled by everyone being so jacked about getting Frederick back. Yet you just witnessed what happened to the Oline play and pass protection when he wasnt there. Cowboys fell to 31st in pass protection with him not there and a rookie at guard.

QB's need protection to do their jobs properly and consistently. They also need weapons. When they are young and developing that is even more important. You seem to fail to grasp this basic concept.

When a young QB is drafted, its the GM's job to surround him with talent so he can do his job to the best of his abilities. This all QB's. Dak has proven already in his young career that when given talent around him, he plays great.

Just look around the league at other top QB's. Be my guest to make a list of the best QB's that dont have talent around them.

So Dak doesnt play well when he has little talent to throw to? duuurrr OK? Makes sense.

So Dak doesnt play well when he loses pro bowl centers and pro bowl left tackles and has a rookie guard? Duuuuurrr OK? Makes sense

So Dak doesnt play well when he loses his pro bowl running back and pro bowl left tackle in a run first offense in only his second year? Duuuuurr OK? Makes sense.

And despite all the things you mentioned he has still:

-Won rookie of the year
-Made Two pro bowls
-Never had a losing season
-4-3 without Zeke
-Two playoff appearances
-playoff victory
-2nd only to Tom Brady in wins
-Leads the NFL in 4th quarter and overtime wins

All in only his first 3 years

:thumbup::flagwave::clap::grin:

Overall they were incredibly injury free last year. To only lose 1 player all year is amazing. You only need to look at past seasons of football from ANY team to see that. Your football IQ is showing itself. You are also seeing things from incredibly rose colored glasses.

I am not going to lie. Romo was awesome. But first and foremost I am a Dallas Cowboy fan. I root for every QB on the team. I just know what I see.The dude sucks at QB. The leadership thing you are spouting is funny. So when Dallas goes 8-8 this year can you stop chirping about that? Can we make a deal on that? Based on some of the things I have read on this website..... and I am not saying it is true but from the things I read Dak parties a lot, stays out late, goes to the clubs, like the ladies, likes doing party things, spends too much time doing commercials and going fishing by himself. And thanked Cliff Avril at the pro bowl for injuring Romo on a cheap unnecessary hit. Lets see how much leadership he shows when they are not winning and going 20-16.... You know they said the same things about RG3.

In Dak's last 36 games he has gone 20-16.

In 2016 he finished: 0-2
2017: 9-7
2018: 11-7

Do the math.

Zeke is who carries the Offense. I will make a prediction if they pay Dak early than Zeke will hold out until he gets a new deal as well.

All your Duurrs are stupid. And your point is equally stupid. You are actually burning yourself when you are saying Dak is missing his all pro this or all pro that........ Yes, exactly thank you for proving my point! You should not need pro bowls at all these positions to play decent..... but yet if even one of them is missing than Dak struggles and the Offense struggles. So what happens if Zach Martin tears his knee up this year and Tryon Smith re-injures his back? Or Zeke sprains an ankle. Does your $30,000,000 a year QB get a pass?

My last point is this you keep making these stupid projections of if we cut off the season at this point than look at what Dak did.... okay lets look at that. Going off memory here but the 3rd last game of the season they got shut out and embarrassed by the Colts.... something that had not happened since 2003. Than they host the lowly Bucs at home and struggle for 3 quarters until they pull it out. On that day if they played just about any other team they lose.... if they had played the Bucs in Tampa they lose. Than they go to the lowly Giants who are TRYING to lose and get a better draft pick and if it was not for an amazing Cole Beasley catch than again they lose. Than they host Seattle.... again a situation where if the game had been played in Seattle.... they lose. And luckily Seattle keeps trying to run the ball when Dallas cannot stop Russell Wilson and so Dallas barley holds on and wins.... Thanks to the Defense & the OC for Seattle.. Than we go to the Rams and get our butts kicked. So how is it that the team played so well at the end?????

The Cowboys won a lot of very close games last year. Luck will not always be on their side. The ball is not always going to bounce their way.... Not every Dak fumble is going to bounce right in his lap.

When the schedule gets harder they are going to need more. And since they already have pro bowlers everywhere..... One of the few places left they can get more is from the QB. Especially when you play the better teams in the playoffs. I am very glad Dallas won a playoff game, I am very glad Dallas beat Seattle by 2 points. I hate Seattle. But before you pay the man $30,000,000 a year which means a lot of talent will be leaving on both sides of the ball. Lets make sure that Dak is the QB to lead Dallas to multiple SB's..... Because if you pay him and you are wrong than this organization is going to be hurting for a long time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Overall they were incredibly injury free last year. To only lose 1 player all year is amazing. You only need to look at past seasons of football from ANY team to see that. Your football IQ is showing itself. You are also seeing things from incredibly rose colored glasses.

I am not going to lie. Romo was awesome. But first and foremost I am a Dallas Cowboy fan. I root for every QB on the team. I just know what I see.The dude sucks at QB. The leadership thing you are spouting is funny. So when Dallas goes 8-8 this year can you stop chirping about that? Can we make a deal on that? Based on some of the things I have read on this website..... and I am not saying it is true but from the things I read Dak parties a lot, stays out late, goes to the clubs, like the ladies, likes doing party things, spends too much time doing commercials and going fishing by himself. And thanked Cliff Avril at the pro bowl for injuring Romo on a cheap unnecessary hit. Lets see how much leadership he shows when they are not winning and going 20-16.... You know they said the same things about RG3.

In Dak's last 36 games he has gone 20-16.

In 2016 he finished: 0-2
2017: 9-7
2018: 11-7

Do the math.

Zeke is who carries the Offense. I will make a prediction if they pay Dak early than Zeke will hold out until he gets a new deal as well.

All your Duurrs are stupid. And your point is equally stupid. You are actually burning yourself when you are saying Dak is missing his all pro this or all pro that........ Yes, exactly thank you for proving my point! You should not need pro bowls at all these positions to play decent..... but yet if even one of them is missing than Dak struggles and the Offense struggles. So what happens if Zach Martin tears his knee up this year and Tryon Smith re-injures his back? Or Zeke sprains an ankle. Does your $30,000,000 a year QB get a pass?

My last point is this you keep making these stupid projections of if we cut off the season at this point than look at what Dak did.... okay lets look at that. Going off memory here but the 3rd last game of the season they got shut out and embarrassed by the Colts.... something that had not happened since 2003. Than they host the lowly Bucs at home and struggle for 3 quarters until they pull it out. On that day if they played just about any other team they lose.... if they had played the Bucs in Tampa they lose. Than they go to the lowly Giants who are TRYING to lose and get a better draft pick and if it was not for an amazing Cole Beasley catch than again they lose. Than they host Seattle.... again a situation where if the game had been played in Seattle.... they lose. And luckily Seattle keeps trying to run the ball when Dallas cannot stop Russell Wilson and so Dallas barley holds on and wins.... Thanks to the Defense & the OC for Seattle.. Than we go to the Rams and get our butts kicked. So how is it that the team played so well at the end?????

The Cowboys won a lot of very close games last year. Luck will not always be on their side. The ball is not always going to bounce their way.... Not every Dak fumble is going to bounce right in his lap.

When the schedule gets harder they are going to need more. And since they already have pro bowlers everywhere..... One of the few places left they can get more is from the QB. Especially when you play the better teams in the playoffs. I am very glad Dallas won a playoff game, I am very glad Dallas beat Seattle by 2 points. I hate Seattle. But before you pay the man $30,000,000 a year which means a lot of talent will be leaving on both sides of the ball. Lets make sure that Dak is the QB to lead Dallas to multiple SB's..... Because if you pay him and you are wrong than this organization is going to be hurting for a long time.

Loved Romo, but he had his warts. There were haters just like you that used to say he sucked. I like both QB's. Its too bad Romo quit.

Dak has already surpassed most of Romo's achievements in only 3 years.

Lets just move on. Dak will be here for a long time. Better get used to it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm confused … I specifically said the contract negotiation does not have to happen right now, and your response was that you disagree because the contract negotiation does not have to happen right now.

As for Dak being what I think he is - what do you believe I think he is? I have never said I was all in or completely convinced of Dak, I have only talked about how his contract will have to be handled if the team wants to sign him to a long term deal. If the team isn't confident he is the guy they shouldn't offer him a long term contract at all, even at the $23 million you suggested. That would be pointless. Even though that would be under market value, why would the team offer that much money to a guy they feel they will have to upgrade?

They have to decide if they believe he is the right guy, and if so, negotiate at some point before his contract expires within a reasonable price range that reflects market value, or if not they need to move another direction altogether. They can't *****foot around with something in between and either end up paying a lot of money for a QB they don't believe in, or losing a QB they do believe in.

As for why both sides don't opt for shorter term contracts, the obvious reason is that it provides no long term assurances for either side. If a team believes in a player they obviously want him committed to the team for a number of years rather than risk having to scramble for a new QB every couple of years, and a player obviously wants to lock in his financial future to protect against injury or anything else negatively affecting his career and earning potential.

You also said that we have to have negotiations this year, to which I disagree. Is that not correct?

I said, "Assuming Dak is what you think he is" as in, Dak is what the team believes he can be.

Again, I don't agree. I think it's foolish to take the position that the team should not offer Dak a contract. The point is, and I've said this multiple times, that it is wise to wait and see what you really have in Dak. He could end up being that guy that wins you a Championship but you don't know that yet because he is still young. I believe that this upcoming season is probably where we learn if he is our guy. I think it's very smart to offer him a short term contract and compensate him fairly. I think the mistake is to believe that just because other teams are stupid we should be too. So we are clear, if Dak is the guy, I have zero problem offering him top money long term. I have no problem paying somebody for the body of work but I do have a problem just handing out a contract that may or may not be a solid business choice, which is what the Cowboys would be doing if they gave Dak a 30 Million annual deal at this point. So if you don't know what you have, time is the answer. Short term big cash deals are not what kill you. Long term, big money deals are what kill you. You can manipulate cap to compensate for a short term deal but something that locks you in for 5 to 7 years is what can cripple a team. I guess I don't understand why you take this position. I mean, Dak has three years under his belt and is going into his 4th season. This is exactly when you expect to find out what you have in a young QB. I agree that Dak has made some strides and I also believe that Dak has improved his game, especially in certain areas but, I also believe that he has to get better in certain areas and if he can not do it, he is not the guy. How do you find out if he can do this? Well, you give him time and you compensate him for it but you don't give him the keys to the Office if you are not sure that he is that guy. He deserves a chance to show that he is that guy but that doesn't mean the team should make a stupid gamble over it. They should offer a shorter term deal that is significantly better then what he can make this year but it shouldn't be a record breaking deal. That's the best way for both parties, going forward, IMO. That's fair and equitable on both sides IMO. It's fair to Dak because it compensates him for the good work he has done and it allows him to make even more money if he proves to be the QB everybody hopes he can be and it protects the team so that all the other players are not hurt by this deal if it turns out that Dak can not take the next step.

Waiting hurts nobody and it really only helps. The idea that long term security is not served is more of a marketing ploy, more then anything, IMO. Of course I understand that players can be injured but so what? Players can be injured and out of the game with a long term contract or a shorter term contract. This is part of game. This is why Dak had a 4 year deal to begin with. Signing Dak to a long term deal does not help the case, if Dak gets injured and can no longer play. If anything, it helps him to do a short term deal because it gives him guaranteed money that he would not have otherwise seen and it allows him to have the capital to take out an insurance policy against injury to protect himself and his future even further, while still giving him the opportunity to make even more money in the future. Is it as good as a guaranteed 30 million a year deal for 5 or 6 years? No, it's not but then again, that's irresponsible to give if you are the Cowboys at this point so the best thing for all parties is to do a shorter term deal.

However, if you don't think the Cowboys should offer Dak a more lucrative, shorter term deal with the chance to make more down the road, then that's fine with me. In that case, the Cowboys should go out and trade for Rosen, they should just pay Dak the 2 million plus this year and then they should evaluate his play and decide if they want to keep him or not. If they decide not to keep him, then they should tag him and try to trade him next year. They should give Rosen this season to learn the Offense and let him start in 2020. They should let another team sign Dak to whatever deal and they should draft a young QB in 2020. That gives you 4 years of Rosen, under a rookie deal, playing behind one of the best OLs in the league and all the tools you need to run a really good Offense. It provides cap relief for the team to extend a lot of players and actually upgrade the team by signing FAs in some key areas that can help the team and lastly, it avoids putting the team in a situation where they have to commit 16% of your entire cap on a player that may or may not be your guy, for a long period of time. Now, that's not how I would do business but that's certainly an option.

To me, it's much better to offer compensation and time for Dak to develop but that's just my opinion.

romonumberone

Reaction score
Loved Romo, but he had his warts. There were haters just like you that used to say he sucked. I like both QB's. Its too bad Romo quit.

Dak has already surpassed most of Romo's achievements in only 3 years.

Lets just move on. Dak will be here for a long time. Better get used to it.

I am not a hater. I support Dak because he is a Dallas Cowboys. I am rooting for him. I just do not think it is a good idea to pay him $30,000,000 a year YET. I think it is better to wait one more year and see what kind of year he has. As far as getting used to Dak being the QB for a long time I would not be so sure of that. A lot can happen in football years. Especially since there will be a coaching change after this season.

As far as Romo "quitting" your 3rd grade attempt to draw my ire failed.

And no Dak has nothing to surpass Romo. When & IF Dak gets to a SB than we can both happily revisit the conversation.

I also like both QB's because they both played for my team. It does not matter that I liked Romo better. Romo is no longer on the team. What does matter.... Is Dak good enough to get the team to the glory years of the early 90's. And is Dak good enough to do that without a very good supporting cast around him.... because once they pay him they will not be able to keep the team together. You need to look no further than the Seattle Seahawks who just traded away their star defensive player Frank Clark because they had to give Russell Wilson more money and could not afford both.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Cowboys are going to pay what Dak and his Agent feel is the market rate for a franchise QB. Right now I would say your $28M/Yr. number is a starting point, but as always, the devil is in the guarantees and payout structure. If Mahomes gets extended before Dak, the number will be over $30M/Yr.

Seriously doubt the Chiefs extend Mahomes before another couple of years....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am not a hater. I support Dak because he is a Dallas Cowboys. I am rooting for him. I just do not think it is a good idea to pay him $30,000,000 a year YET. I think it is better to wait one more year and see what kind of year he has. As far as getting used to Dak being the QB for a long time I would not be so sure of that. A lot can happen in football years. Especially since there will be a coaching change after this season.

As far as Romo "quitting" your 3rd grade attempt to draw my ire failed.

And no Dak has nothing to surpass Romo. When & IF Dak gets to a SB than we can both happily revisit the conversation.

I also like both QB's because they both played for my team. It does not matter that I liked Romo better. Romo is no longer on the team. What does matter.... Is Dak good enough to get the team to the glory years of the early 90's. And is Dak good enough to do that without a very good supporting cast around him.... because once they pay him they will not be able to keep the team together. You need to look no further than the Seattle Seahawks who just traded away their star defensive player Frank Clark because they had to give Russell Wilson more money and could not afford both.

I really dont care about your opinion at this point. Move on.

Your either one of two things:

1. A hater
2. You dont know jack about football or QB's.

romonumberone

Reaction score
I really dont care about your opinion at this point. Move on.

Your either one of two things:

1. A hater
2. You dont know jack about football or QB's.

Lets bump this thread at the end of the season.

But please do not confuse me of being a hater just because I am not a total homer idiot.

Take your own advice and quit responding to my posts.... if you cannot handle it..... which you clearly cannot. When you want to discuss football try to bring more to the table than a 3rd grader.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

I think there are two Cowboys teams out there. The one I watch frequently has opposing teams load up the box to stop the run. The fact that the team is a run first system actually makes the Dak I watch look better. Teams are afraid of Zeke, not Dak and set up their defenses accordingly. If a lot of the QB's in the NFL were put in a situation where they were routinely passing against 8 men in the box, man to man D, those QB's would positively shred it.

Of course, that's just the team I watch. I understand a lot of people here watch a different Cowboys team with a different Dak who routinely slices up defenses with throws down the field. That guy should get a lot of money. Best of luck to him. Hell, I wish the version of the Cowboys that I cheer for had that player.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think there are two Cowboys teams out there. The one I watch frequently has opposing teams load up the box to stop the run. The fact that the team is a run first system actually makes the Dak I watch look better. Teams are afraid of Zeke, not Dak and set up their defenses accordingly. If a lot of the QB's in the NFL were put in a situation where they were routinely passing against 8 men in the box, man to man D, those QB's would positively shred it.

Of course, that's just the team I watch. I understand a lot of people here watch a different Cowboys team with a different Dak who routinely slices up defenses with throws down the field. That guy should get a lot of money. Best of luck to him. Hell, I wish the version of the Cowboys that I cheer for had that player.

Why would anyone be afraid of a 2nd or 3rd year QB with a boring scheme with Hurns, Beasley, and Shultz to throw to?

Once Cooper got there, I promise you they started to take notice.