Twitter: SAS: Dak Prescott should be making at least $25M

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And guess what? It's looking like the Vikings and Skins may have made big mistakes paying an inflated price to their QBs based on the silly logic expressed here that it's OK to overpay for your QB now because in a few years, the contract won't rank as high on the list of QBs.

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it's okay to overpay for a QB because others will catch up in the past, I'm saying in today's market a price of $28-30 million isn't overpaying. I'm saying that's the price of doing business these days.

Maybe the Vikes and Skins did make a mistake, but the damage to the market was done. How often have salaries ever regressed? At best the fact that Cousins and Smith haven't been resounding successes may keep the current market from inflating too much, but Dak should still be in the same ballpark as Cousins, and maybe a little higher.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Maybe they did, but the damage to the market was done. How often have have salaries ever regressed?

Who said the market has to regress?

But where is it written that you absolutely have to pay an average to slightly above average QB a Top 3-5 contract under the assumption that it's OK because in a few years, the contract will be middle of the road?

Just because the damage was done to the market doesn't mean you have to be stupid because of it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said the market has to regress?

But where is it written that you absolutely have to pay an average to slightly above average QB a Top 3-5 contract under the assumption that it's OK because in a few years, the contract will be middle of the road?

Just because the damage was done to the market doesn't mean you have to be stupid because of it.

You aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it's okay to overpay for a QB because others will catch up in the past, I'm saying in today's market a price of $26-30 million isn't overpaying. I'm saying that's the price of doing business these days.

What some are missing is the fact is that although actual price paid to Dak may be top 3-5 at the momment, that is a function of timing and a changing market, not of QB ranking. It doesn't mean his market value is great than a lower paid QB, it just means his contract is more current. Again, the fact Roethlesberger, for example, makes less than Cousins doesn't mean he has a lower market value than Cousins, it just means he negotiated his contract when the market was lower. It's a timing thing.

An example I gave before was with the real estate market. When the real estate market is up, a buyer might have to pay 25% more for a house that isn't as good a house as one that sold at a lower price a few years earlier. That's just timing and markets, and not a reflection of how the houses stack up against each other.

Bottom line is you have to do business in the market as it exists at the time. If you insist on trying to pay for things at a price when the market is lower it will take a significant downgrade to do so.

Sydla

Reaction score
You aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it's okay to overpay for a QB because others will catch up in the past, I'm saying in today's market a price of $26-30 million isn't overpaying. I'm saying that's the price of doing business these days.

What some are missing is the fact is that although actual price paid to Dak may be top 3-5 at the momment, that is a function of timing and a changing market, not of QB ranking. It doesn't mean his market value is great than a lower paid QB, it just means his contract is more current. Again, the fact Roethlesberger, for example, makes less than Cousins doesn't mean he has a lower market value than Cousins, it just means he negotiated his contract when the market was lower. It's a timing thing.

An example I gave before was with the real estate market. When the real estate market is up, a buyer might have to pay 25% more for a house that isn't as good a house as one that sold at a lower price a few years earlier. That's just timing and markets, and not a reflection of how the houses stack up against each other.

Bottom line is you have to do business in the market as it exists at the time. If you insist on trying to pay for things at a price when the market is lower it will take a significant downgrade to do so.

No, you aren't getting my point.

You are using the "market" as an excuse to overpay for an average QB because you are arguing the market dictates that.

No one is holding a gun to the Cowboys' head here. In no world should Dak Prescott be making a Top 3 NFL QB contract. It's idiotic to argue that it's OK to pay him that because in a few years it won't be ranked that high.

I mean why not pay Robert Quinn Top 3 DE money right now? I mean hey, in a few years, that contract will look like a bargain!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You aren't understanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying that it's okay to overpay for a QB because others will catch up in the past, I'm saying in today's market a price of $28-30 million isn't overpaying. I'm saying that's the price of doing business these days.

Maybe the Vikes and Skins did make a mistake, but the damage to the market was done. How often have salaries ever regressed? At best the fact that Cousins and Smith haven't been resounding successes may keep the current market from inflating too much, but Dak should still be in the same ballpark as Cousins, and maybe a little higher.

You know, I hear what you are saying but I don't know that it needs to be that way. I mean, you may be 100% right but these things have a way of correcting. I just don't think you follow suit just because everybody else is. I think that's the dumb play for the team. We have all the leverage, Dak has very little. I think you ride it out and see what happens.

JMO

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, you aren't getting my point.

You are using the "market" as an excuse to overpay for an average QB because you are arguing the market dictates that.

No one is holding a gun to the Cowboys' head here. In no world should Dak Prescott be making a Top 3 NFL QB contract. It's idiotic to argue that it's OK to pay him that because in a few years it won't be ranked that high.

I mean why not pay Robert Quinn Top 3 DE money right now? I mean hey, in a few years, that contract will look like a bargain!

Of course the Cowboys don't have to pay it, but again, paying market price is not overpaying, it is paying the current price of doing business. You can complain all you want about the price of a Harley, but if you don't pay it you end up with a moped.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You know, I hear what you are saying but I don't know that it needs to be that way. I mean, you may be 100% right but these things have a way of correcting. I just don't think you follow suit just because everybody else is. I think that's the dumb play for the team. We have all the leverage, Dak has very little. I think you ride it out and see what happens.

JMO

It is that way as long as someone else is willing to pay the price. Otherwise the option is to let players become free agents and risk losing them and possibly setting your team back for a few years. Sometimes teams are willing to take that risk with players hoping another team won't pay the price, but it is a risk.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It is that way as long as someone else is willing to pay the price. Otherwise the option is to let players become free agents and risk losing them and possibly setting your team back for a few years. Sometimes teams are willing to take that risk with players hoping another team won't pay the price, but it is a risk.

But see, that's the thing. I am not sure that there is anybody out there who is willing to pay that for Dak, at this point in his development. Cowboys have options here, they don't have to make him available. They can tag him and make teams pay for him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But see, that's the thing. I am not sure that there is anybody out there who is willing to pay that for Dak, at this point in his development. Cowboys have options here, they don't have to make him available. They can tag him and make teams pay for him.

The question is how confident the Cowboys feel that there won't be, and are they willing to risk losing him to find out? Of course, you are right that the tag option exists, but they have a lot of players that will need to be extended, and they can't use the tag on everyone. They also could kick the can down the road a bit, and wait and try to sign him mid season, but the risk is the price may be even higher at that point.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The question is how confident the Cowboys feel that there won't be, and are they willing to risk losing him to find out? Of course, you are right that the tag option exists, but they have a lot of players that will need to be extended, and they can't use the tag on everyone. They also could kick the can down the road a bit, and wait and try to sign him mid season, but the risk is the price may be even higher at that point.

They do but honestly, I don't see the down side on waiting. Yes, it's a possibility that it could be higher but it could also be lower and I believe that the chance is better that it is lower. However, if we wait and he plays lights out, then it's money well spent and I will spend it and never look back. If he plays lights out, then the money spent on a player who is capable of winning you a Championship is well worth it. What's not worth it is spending the money on a player who is not worth it because then, you have tied your hitch to a wagon that is never going anywhere. What's more, that wagon is going to kill a good 3 to 5 years of every player on the team. You are basically killing the prime careers of Elliot, much of the OL, Law, Cooper among others and by the time you see the other end of that deal, and are able to get out from under it, you are starting over. Basically, this is one of those calls that you can't screw up. So if waiting is the better way to figure out where you are at, then wait. Don't rush to action to try and save some money that may or may not be value. I mean, if we lose him, what's the down side? We get two 1st round picks and save a crapton of cap? I can live with that. With that, we can go out and get a rental and have a good chance to draft a franchise QB.

JMO

sean10mm

Reaction score

Nah.

Nobody is saying you have to pay the price.

The market doesn't make you pay, it just tells you what the price is, and it doesn't really care if you don't like it on the internet.

People who just dislike Dak don't want him at any price, so the quibbling over what Dak's price probably will be is kind of silly really.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Nah.

Nobody is saying you have to pay the price.

The market doesn't make you pay, it just tells you what the price is, and it doesn't really care if you don't like it on the internet.

People who just dislike Dak don't want him at any price, so the quibbling over what Dak's price probably will be is kind of silly really.

So are you saying that anybody who doesn't believe you should pay Dak like a top 3 to 5 QB, does so because they don't like him? I'm not saying that this is what you are saying. I'm asking if this is what you are saying?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They do but honestly, I don't see the down side on waiting. Yes, it's a possibility that it could be higher but it could also be lower and I believe that the chance is better that it is lower. However, if we wait and he plays lights out, then it's money well spent and I will spend it and never look back. If he plays lights out, then the money spent on a player who is capable of winning you a Championship is well worth it. What's not worth it is spending the money on a player who is not worth it because then, you have tied your hitch to a wagon that is never going anywhere. What's more, that wagon is going to kill a good 3 to 5 years of every player on the team. You are basically killing the prime careers of Elliot, much of the OL, Law, Cooper among others and by the time you see the other end of that deal, and are able to get out from under it, you are starting over. Basically, this is one of those calls that you can't screw up. So if waiting is the better way to figure out where you are at, then wait. Don't rush to action to try and save some money that may or may not be value. I mean, if we lose him, what's the down side? We get two 1st round picks and save a crapton of cap? I can live with that. With that, we can go out and get a rental and have a good chance to draft a franchise QB.

JMO

I doubt the price will go lower if they wait - it's rare to see salaries reduce. That is, of course, unless Dak plays poorly, and of course, if that happens it will have been better to wait, but if it doesn't it will cost us a lot of money and cap space to wait. It's a tough decision to make. For the Cowboys it really comes down to how they feel about Dak's future. If they are less than convinced, waiting is the right call, even though there is a risk of taking a financial and salary cap hit by doing so.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I doubt the price will go lower if they wait - it's rare to see salaries reduce. That is, of course, unless Dak plays poorly, and of course, if that happens it will have been better to wait, but if it doesn't it will cost us a lot of money and cap space to wait. It's a tough decision to make. For the Cowboys it really comes down to how they feel about Dak's future. If they are less than convinced, waiting is the right call, even though there is a risk of taking a financial and salary cap hit by doing so.

It's not rare if no other team is interested in testing the tag.

sean10mm

Reaction score
So are you saying that anybody who doesn't believe you should pay Dak like a top 3 to 5 QB, does so because they don't like him? I'm not saying that this is what you are saying. I'm asking if this is what you are saying?

Do I know why EVERYBODY might think a thing? No.

But this forum is full of people who want Dak off the team, who say he can't throw, call him a bum, etc. For those people no contract he will actually get is low enough. That's just sort of obvious.

I do think some people just don't understand that contract $$$ have been constantly going up for decades, so every single year it's true that average guys now are getting contracts that only elite guys got in the past.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

But this forum is full of people who want Dak off the team, who say he can't throw, call him a bum, etc. For those people no contract he will actually get is low enough. That's just sort of obvious.

I do think some people just don't understand that contract $$$ have been constantly going up for decades, so every single year it's true that average guys now are getting contracts that only elite guys got in the past.

I'm all for Dak but I also know what the Cowboys have said and I think they will hold true to that. Dak will get paid and paid very well, he will not be offered the contract of a Rodgers or now Wilson.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
What's even worse is the ones who wants what's the best for Dak, not what's best for the Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

All things depending on vantage point. The point can be made that this board is full of people who think Dak should be paid top money and is already a HOF QB. I mean, we talk in generalities all day here. You made a general statement so it was fair to ask exactly what you were trying to say, rather then go by what you actually did say. I don't believe that anything here is obvious. I believe you have perspective that allows you to see things that way. The statement you make about guys getting paid salaries that are elite as a matter of course is not taking into consideration, the fact that we aren't just talking about any position here. We are talking about the QB and Franchise money. What that means is that you get that wrong and you are screwing up the team for several years. I think you gotta look at this situation a little differently then just any contract. Everybody understands that salaries escalate but this is different. This makes or breaks your team for years.