Twitter: SAS: Dak Prescott should be making at least $25M

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not rare if no other team is interested in testing the tag.

Are you sure you aren't talking about a tender rather than the tag? The tag is what it is - an average of the top 5 salaries at the position, isn't it? And using the tag still doesn't get a long term contract done. It's a temporary solution that keeps the player on the team for one season. Using the tender doesn't either, but it could help improve negotiating position though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Are you sure you aren't talking about a tender rather than the tag? The tag is what it is - an average of the top 5 salaries at the position, isn't it? And using the tag still doesn't get a long term contract done. It's a temporary solution that keeps the player on the team for one season. Using the tender doesn't either, but it could help improve negotiating position though.

Am I sure? I don't think that we should tie this to any certain option. You see where you are at and make a choice when the time is right. However, if we are taking the chance of possibly losing our starting QB, then you make it painful for whomever is willing to pay the price.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Am I sure? I don't think that we should tie this to any certain option. You see where you are at and make a choice when the time is right. However, if we are taking the chance of possibly losing our starting QB, then you make it painful for whomever is willing to pay the price.

I wasn't asking if you were sure what is the best option, I was asking if you meant "tender" when you were saying "tag". Other teams can't make an offer to a player under the franchise tag, but they can when you put a 1st round (or whatever round) tender on a player. What you are talking about with making it painful is with putting a tender on the player, not a franchise tag.

I'm not sure it's even possible to put a tender on Dak anyway. I believe that only works with restricted free agents, and after the 2019 season Dak will be an unrestricted free agent.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wasn't asking if you were sure what is the best option, I was asking if you meant "tender" when you were saying "tag". Other teams can't make an offer to a player under the franchise tag, but they can when you put a 1st round (or whatever round) tender on a player. What you are talking about with making it painful is with putting a tender on the player, not a franchise tag.

I'm not sure it's even possible to put a tender on Dak anyway. I believe that only works with restricted free agents, and after the 2019 season Dak will be an unrestricted free agent.

There are several ways. I think there is Exclusive, None Exclusive and Transition Tags. So no, when you say Tag, it doesn't mean that a player can't be signed by another team. I believe that that is only under Exclusive.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are several ways. I think there is Exclusive, None Exclusive and Transition Tags. So no, when you say Tag, it doesn't mean that a player can't be signed by another team. I believe that that is only under Exclusive.

That's a bit more than I remembered. I clearly had forgotten some of the details, so I looked it up. I guess I wasn't remembering because apparently the Non-exclusive tag is what is most commonly used, and nobody really challenges the Non-Exclusive tag because they would have to give up 2 first round picks and still have to pay the big salary. I'm not sure if that really helps the Cowboys much though because it can't really be said other teams would be shying away from having to pay the market value salary - its probably much more that they would have to give up 2 first round picks. Ultimately using either the exclusive or non-exclusive tag would still leave the team in the same place - paying top 5 money for a season with no long term assurance of keeping the player. I suppose the transition tag would be a possibility though, but it still doesn't secure the player long term.

Last edited:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's a bit more than I remembered. I clearly had forgotten some of the details. Probably because nobody really challenges the Non-Exclusive tag because they would have to give up 2 first round picks and still have to pay the big salary. I'm not sure if that really helps the Cowboys much though because it's not just the salary another team would be shying away from, its having to give up 2 first round picks. Ultimately using either the exclusive or non-exclusive tag would still leave the team in the same place - paying top 5 money for a season with no long term assurance of keeping the player.

I don't see it that way. I mean, that's the leverage I was referring to, the team has leverage on Dak. There honestly is no reason why the Cowboys should not use this strategy if they want to keep Dak. I'm not saying don't offer him a fair contract but there is no reason, whatsoever, to allow Dak to pressure us into a 30 Million a year contract. The team has the ability to make a deal with Dak that is in everybodies best interest, to be honest. The team could put together a lower cost, fewer years deal that would allow Dak to prove his worth to an even greater extent and then come up for a new deal in just a few years. That would help the team immediately and also put him in a position to sign a much bigger deal down the line. I think that's the way both the team and Prescott should go.

JMO

doomsday9084

Reaction score
By most statistical measures, Dak is in the middle of the pack for QB's. He isn't awful but he isn't one of the top QB's either.

I know a lot of teams are backing up the Brinks truck for their QB's but that doesn't make it right. If you pay your mediocre QB the same as the top guys get paid, you are automatically at a disadvantage versus them. If the goal is to win a super bowl, you don't give Dak 25 to 30m per year.

As a side note, what really matters is the structure. If Dak's cap hit is low for the next few years then you can put a title team around him and perhaps have to eat a lot of dead money years from now.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Dak will likely scoff at $25M/year.

Scoff's a bit too dramatic, I'm sure he thinks he's worth more, but I seriously doubt the thinks he's worth anything close to what a two time SB quarterback (and essentially a two time winner, if Carroll had called for a run at the end of the game likely they'd have won the SB the second time) just got. Rodgers is no. 2 and he's won a SB as well. Ryan gets $30, and he's also been to a SB.

$25 mil would make him tied for 7th in the league in average salary.

But like I said, even if he gets $28 mil, by the time his contract has run a couple of years the top 7 salaries could well be over $30 mil, so $28 mil would be a "bargain" (irrespective of SBs, etc, just talking quarterback salaries)...

BigD_95

Reaction score
He should make that money with another team so they can overpay for a mid level QB

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see it that way. I mean, that's the leverage I was referring to, the team has leverage on Dak. There honestly is no reason why the Cowboys should not use this strategy if they want to keep Dak. I'm not saying don't offer him a fair contract but there is no reason, whatsoever, to allow Dak to pressure us into a 30 Million a year contract. The team has the ability to make a deal with Dak that is in everybodies best interest, to be honest. The team could put together a lower cost, fewer years deal that would allow Dak to prove his worth to an even greater extent and then come up for a new deal in just a few years. That would help the team immediately and also put him in a position to sign a much bigger deal down the line. I think that's the way both the team and Prescott should go.

JMO

I think it is leverage in that using the franchise tag makes Dak wait another year before negotiations for a longer term contract occurs, and he may be eager to get the contract done to give him some long term security, but I don't think it really gives much leverage on market price, because the reasons for other teams not making an offer wouldn't be about the an unwillingness to pay the salary as much as the draft picks they would have to give up.

That said, if Dak's expectations are more $30 million or higher, that's really pushing the market up for a guy at his level, so I understand if the Cowboys don't go there. If it's more $26-29 million, that's well within the established market for a guy at Dak's level. Even then, if the Cowboys decide to wait it out another year to see how Dak's development goes in 2019, I don't have a problem with that. My point has simply been that if the team wants to sign him long term there isn't a way around whatever the market dictates for Dak.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think it is leverage in that using the franchise tag makes Dak wait another year before negotiations for a longer term contract occurs, and he may be eager to get the contract done to give him some long term security, but I don't think it really gives much leverage on market price, because the reasons for other teams not making an offer wouldn't be about the an unwillingness to pay the salary as much as the draft picks they would have to give up.

That said, if Dak's expectations are more $30 million or higher, that's really pushing the market up for a guy at his level, so I understand if the Cowboys don't go there. If it's more $26-29 million, that's well within the established market for a guy at Dak's level. Even then, if the Cowboys decide to wait it out another year to see how Dak's development goes in 2019, I don't have a problem with that. My point has simply been that if the team wants to sign him long term there isn't a way around whatever the market dictates for Dak.

I don't think it matters if it's actual or if it's the cost of the picks added in. The truth of the matter is that it is leverage. I personally do not think that Dak is worth 26-29 at this point. I think it is 25 or lower. I would also add that the Transition Tag is in the area of 23 mil a season so to me 25 is generous. He just isn't worth more to me and he really can't go anywhere else so really, the team could actually offer him at 23/24 and that would be really fair. Also, you figure he's going to get a signing bonus so that's cash up front which is a bonus for Dak if he signs a deal.

JMO

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
So if Dak is offered $25 and doesn't take it, then let him go, who replaces him? Rush? White? Totally unproven, both of them. Draftee? Think this team will go like 2-14 and get one of the top picks in next year's draft? And even if you do, what guarantee do you have he will be better than Dak? And he HAS to be better, because "Dak can't take this team to the SB", so you have to not only draft a good quarterback, but an exceptional one, and those guys don't grow on trees.

No like it or not, we're stuck with Dak for at least this year, and to replace him after this year, and bring in a new quarterback who has zero timing with Cooper, et al, will set the team back probably 2 years, by which time T. Smith's back will probably give out, and at least some of your top players will be priced out of the Cowboys' ability to pay..

Those who want Dak gone are going to be very disappointed....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it matters if it's actual or if it's the cost of the picks added in. The truth of the matter is that it is leverage. I personally do not think that Dak is worth 26-29 at this point. I think it is 25 or lower. I would also add that the Transition Tag is in the area of 23 mil a season so to me 25 is generous. He just isn't worth more to me and he really can't go anywhere else so really, the team could actually offer him at 23/24 and that would be really fair. Also, you figure he's going to get a signing bonus so that's cash up front which is a bonus for Dak if he signs a deal.

JMO

There are different levels of leverage - it's not all the same. A team being unwilling to pay $26-29 million is entirely different from a team being unwilling to give up two 1st round draft pick on top of the $26-29 million. The first would indicate a market value less than that of Cousins, for example, but the second would not.

If Dak isn't worth the 26-29 to you, that's cool. That's all personal opinion. I'm not convinced he's worth it to me either, but it's hard for me to make that call without knowling the alternatives. If the alternative were being saddled with QB's like Clint Stoerner and Chad Hutchinson for a number of years like we had after Aikman, I would gladly pay Dak. If I knew we were going to end up with a top QB above Dak's level it would be different. That's the part that makes the choice difficult - we don't know which way it would go.

As for the transition tag option, remember that using it would mean you couldn't use the franchise tag (exclusive or non-exclusive) on another player, plus if a team offers a contract above what the Cowboys hoped to pay the Cowboys would either have to raise their price anyway to match the offer, or they would have to decline to match and lose Dak without receiving any compensation. I just don't see that as an easy choice to make. It's essentially banking on Dak not receiving an offer from another team.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are different levels of leverage - it's not all the same. A team being unwilling to pay $26-29 million is entirely different from a team being unwilling to give up two 1st round draft pick on top of the $26-29 million. The first would indicate a market value less than that of Cousins, for example, but the second would not.

If Dak isn't worth the 26-29 to you, that's cool. That's all personal opinion. I'm not convinced he's worth it to me either, but it's hard for me to make that call without knowling the alternatives. If the alternative were being saddled with QB's like Clint Stoerner and Chad Hutchinson for a number of years like we had after Aikman, I would gladly pay Dak. If I knew we were going to end up with a top QB above Dak's level it would be different. That's the part that makes the choice difficult - we don't know which way it would go.

As for the transition tag option, remember that using it would mean you couldn't use the franchise tag (exclusive or non-exclusive) on another player, plus if a team offers a contract above what the Cowboys hoped to pay the Cowboys would either have to raise their price anyway to match the offer, or they would have to decline to match and lose Dak without receiving any compensation. I just don't see that as an easy choice to make. It's essentially banking on Dak not receiving an offer from another team.

No, it's really not. In this situation, the team has all of the leverage and Dak has very little. I mean, you say it yourself. It's going to be exceptionally expensive to sign Dak if the Cowboys tag him. If a team decides to do that, then the Cowboys take the two picks and the cap savings and they go out and rent a QB and draft a Franchise guy in 2020. Chances are that doesn't happen so Dak plays on the tag, at worst. It's likely going to cost the Cowboys 25 for the tag, if that, which would be cheaper then the 30 being discussed. The Cowboys have all the leverage here. Dak has few workable options IMO.

romonumberone

Reaction score
If Dak is only a good QB when he has great players around him than is he really a good QB? And if he is not a good QB than is it wise for the Cowboys to make him one of the highest paid football players of all time???

I know the arguments...

1. We look at his won/loss record. But in the last 36 games Dak is only 20-16..... one of those wins was 6-0 when we were playing the Eagles 3rd string team. To me this suggests that the Cowboys have been barely above average even with all the great players around the QB.

2. Than we look at his statistics. Not bad until you look deeper and watch the games. Personally last year was the first time in watching football that I have ever seen a QB on 3rd & 17 throw a 2 yard out pass. It also begs a serious question of is the QB's priority to win the game or to protect his stats.

3. Finally the eye test. When I watch the games I see a QB who is inaccurate, poor pocket awareness, and poor anticipation on WR's coming open.

On the opposite side I see a QB who is incredibly durable and has good running ability.... although I wish the Cowboy higher ups would allow him to run more often

But.... 90% of being a QB is throwing the football.... So overall my assessment of Dak is that being very generous he is an average QB.

Based on that I do not think it is smart to make him one of the highest paid football players of all time. I am a Cowboy fan first and foremost and I do not want to see our team set back for the next 5 years.

I am not interested in other team's mistakes of paying an average QB too much money.... does that mean we have to make the same mistake?

The Cowboys only have to pay him $2 million next season. Pay him that hopefully he gets better and worst case we franchise tag him. The franchise tag would be around $27 million.... still better than paying him $30 million a season.

Personally I would trade him for 2 1st round draft picks and instead pay Amari Cooper & maybe get someone like Gerald McCoy in here and make the DT situation better.

I would rather the Cowboys take advantage of Dak's rookie contract and go for it now. What is the point of having the advantage of a rookie contract if you are going to pay the rookie early anyways?

Does anyone really think that Dak makes the players around him better? Does anyone really think that Dak playing for the Cardinals would flourish???

I have seen some anti Dak members say okay pay him $20 million a season. But to pay him any amount of money and have him take the starting reps for the Dallas Cowboys could be costly..... even if Dak plays for free.

Please do not misunderstand me I am not a Dak hater. But I do love the Dallas Cowboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Cowboys come first before any player including Dak or even Romo.

Thank you for your time in reading this. I am very excited & proud to be a new member of this board!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's really not. In this situation, the team has all of the leverage and Dak has very little. I mean, you say it yourself. It's going to be exceptionally expensive to sign Dak if the Cowboys tag him. If a team decides to do that, then the Cowboys take the two picks and the cap savings and they go out and rent a QB and draft a Franchise guy in 2020. Chances are that doesn't happen so Dak plays on the tag, at worst. It's likely going to cost the Cowboys 25 for the tag, if that, which would be cheaper then the 30 being discussed. The Cowboys have all the leverage here. Dak has few workable options IMO.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. There really isn't any leverage gained in a salary negotiation by saying another team was unwilling to give up two first round draft picks on top of his salary expectation. There are almost no QBs that a team would give up that for, but that doesn't mean another team wouldn't be happy to pay the salary alone. I'm not even sure a team would give that up for somebody like Aaron Rodgers given his age.

As for Dak's leverage, it is the same as with all free agents. The refusal to sign a long term deal, forcing the team to either let him walk or get by a year under a tag, without any assurance of long term stability at such a key position. The fact Rush and White are the alternatives for the Cowboys also provides leverage.

Of course that is a 2 way street, and it forces Dak to also go a year without the financial security of a long term contract, but obviously the best scenario is for both sides to find some middle ground within a reasonable range for a player at Dak's level. $23 million does not fall within that range, so if the Cowboys feel he isn't worth at least something near the going rate for a QB at Dak's level, then they are going to either have to make a tough tag decision, which isn't desirable regardless of which tag level they might use, or let him walk.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So if Dak is offered $25 and doesn't take it, then let him go, who replaces him? Rush? White? Totally unproven, both of them. Draftee? Think this team will go like 2-14 and get one of the top picks in next year's draft? And even if you do, what guarantee do you have he will be better than Dak? And he HAS to be better, because "Dak can't take this team to the SB", so you have to not only draft a good quarterback, but an exceptional one, and those guys don't grow on trees.

No like it or not, we're stuck with Dak for at least this year, and to replace him after this year, and bring in a new quarterback who has zero timing with Cooper, et al, will set the team back probably 2 years, by which time T. Smith's back will probably give out, and at least some of your top players will be priced out of the Cowboys' ability to pay..

Those who want Dak gone are going to be very disappointed....

Why would you let him go? I mean, where does that come from?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I guess we will have to agree to disagree. There really isn't any leverage gained in a salary negotiation by saying another team was unwilling to give up two first round draft picks on top of his salary expectation. There are almost no QBs that a team would give up that for, but that doesn't mean another team wouldn't be happy to pay the salary alone. I'm not even sure a team would give that up for somebody like Aaron Rodgers given his age.

As for Dak's leverage, it is the same as with all free agents. The refusal to sign a long term deal, forcing the team to either let him walk or get by a year under a tag, without any assurance of long term stability at such a key position. The fact Rush and White are the alternatives for the Cowboys also provides leverage.

Of course that is a 2 way street, and it forces Dak to also go a year without the financial security of a long term contract, but obviously the best scenario is for both sides to find some middle ground within a reasonable range for a player at Dak's level. $23 million does not fall within that range, so if the Cowboys feel he isn't worth at least something near the going rate for a QB at Dak's level, then they are going to either have to make a tough tag decision, which isn't desirable regardless of which tag level they might use, or let him walk.

Yep, we disagree. Dak is under contract. The Cowboys have no need to negotiate with him, this year, unless they wish to do so. They had no obligation to pay him more then his slotted Rookie salary but they did. They are in a position of strength right now, in terms of his contract and it is not only reasonable but wise to see more from him before giving him a mega deal. Dak's level is mid level. That's the problem. Some see him as top 5 or 10 when the truth is he is mid level at this point in his development.

According to the current Transition Tag salary, the agreed upon salary that a QB would make right now is a little over 23 million per year. That is not a random number, it is an average of top salaries. So yes, 23 does fall into that range, as agreed upon in the CBA.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Precisely.

The truth is, whether people think Dak is good enough or not. And obviously that’s debate-able. His resume and the low supply of starting caliber QB’s in the world, dictates 25 mil a year at least at current market prices.

Anything less than 25 mil a year would be Dak taking a team friendly deal. Which I would love btw, but you can’t EXPECT a QB to do it.
It's a seller's market. Blame the moron FOs of the teams that speculated instead of waiting for proof.