Say it aint so Troy!

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Listening to Cleveland sports radio today and they had Aikman on as guest. When asked how his 90's Cowboys would measure up to today's Patriots...he said he believed Dallas probably would have done will against the 3 previous Patriot Super Bowl winners, but, thinks this year's edition of NE would most likely have had their way with them.

Is he being diplomatic or what?

superpunk

Reaction score
Troy is probably falling victim to the same hype everyone is - forgetting that NFL rosters include 200 players who wouldn't have been in the NFL due to expansion since the 90s.

Watching the Pats beat up on that kind of competition could mislead anyone about their relative greatness with respect to history.

Freyguy

Reaction score
In all honesty i think the '07 Pats would get smoked by the 90's Cowboys for one reason only. They had a running game and that would make all the difference.

2much2soon

Reaction score
big difference I could see is that the '90s team could of kept the '07 Pats offense off the field with the running game. That would be a huge key.
Other than that, did any of the '90s teams ever face a 3 time SB winning QB, let alone in his prime? With a WR who I have always felt was the most physically gifted of all time?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
He's part of the media now. They're programmed to hype of the greatness of Pats so that their previous cheating will be forgotten. It's all in the best interest of the corporation and the entities that feed off of it. Seriously, when has cheating of this magnitude been swept under the run so quickly? Barry Bond's is repeatedly denigrated in the media for his tainted home run record.

I just wonder what will happen if something happens to blow up their plans and for some reason NE doesn't get to the SB, or actually loses it.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Let's see how good the Pats are at the end of the season when their LBs have sore knees and Moss and Stallworth are out with hamstring pulls.

sago1

Reaction score
Frankly, I rooted for the Patriots to win their first SB but admit now I can't stand them and really hope the Colts win it all -- unless of course we make it to Arizona ourselves in Feb 08.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
2much2soon;1716483 said:
big difference I could see is that the '90s team could of kept the '07 Pats offense off the field with the running game. That would be a huge key.
Other than that, did any of the '90s teams ever face a 3 time SB winning QB, let alone in his prime? With a WR who I have always felt was the most physically gifted of all time?
uhhhh.. you kidding me?

We regularly faced Steve Young and Jerry Rice year in and year out BEFORE we even got to the Super Bowl.. oh, and some guys named Jim Kelly, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas twice..

Steve Young and Jerry Rice > Tom Brady and Randy Moss

Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed > Tom Brady, Laurence Maroney, Randy Moss

not to mention always facing Brett Favre in his prime..

the 90's Cowboys would absolutely kill the '07 Patriots.. Aikman being a Cowboy doesn't make him right..

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
I think we could have beaten them. We controlled the tempo of the games and we had a nasty defense. Mike caught everything thrown his way.
We were better on every level.

Aikbach

Reaction score
The 14-2 49er team that Dallas beat at Candlestick during the 1992 Conference championship had more firepower and was better than this Patriot team.

The 1992-1995 Cowboys would have prevailed comfortably over this version of the Pats.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
EMMITTnROY;1716498 said:
uhhhh.. you kidding me?

We regularly faced Steve Young and Jerry Rice year in and year out BEFORE we even got to the Super Bowl.. oh, and some guys named Jim Kelly, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas twice..

Steve Young and Jerry Rice > Tom Brady and Randy Moss

Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed > Tom Brady, Laurence Maroney, Randy Moss

not to mention always facing Brett Favre in his prime..

the 90's Cowboys would absolutely kill the '07 Patriots.. Aikman being a Cowboy doesn't make him right..

Eggzackly. Early 90's NFL>>>>Late 2000's NFL bigtime.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
That era as a whole had much better teams, but Darren Woodson said the same thing, that he didn't know if the 92 defense could stop this Pats offense.

On the other side, though, I don't think their D could stop Emmitt, Irvin, and Novacek. No way.

BTW, I agree with Eskimo. Even Gosselin was asking how much that old LB corps would be nicked up and slowing down by the end of the year.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Sorry guys, this Patriots squad could play with the 90's Cowboys, 80's 49ers and 70's Steelers (and Cowboys, for that matter).

Yes, there has been expansion. But I want you to look at some of these statistics. There are good statistics, great statistics, and then there are these, in a whole completely different level.

Brady has thrown for over 1700 yards through 6 weeks in the NFL. He has thrown for an incredible 21 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions. Just let that settle in for a second. He's on pace to throw nearly 60 touchdowns this year, shattering any previous record.

Here's another one, through 6 games his completion percentage is 72.5%. That's NOT a typo, seventy-two point five freakin' percent!! And it's not like they run the west coast offense there with dink and dunk passes, he's averaging more yards per pass than any time in his career.

This team is dominant in all phases of the game. I mean really, you take a team that was already great and you add Randy Moss, Dante Stallworth and Wes Walker. Are you kidding me??

Guys, I loved the 90's Cowboys as much as anybody, but Troy is right on the money here.

Edit: Here is another statistic, not only are they 6-0, but they have won their games by an average of 23 points per game! For comparison purposes, the '92 Cowboys, who by the way went 13-3, won their games by an average of 15 points per game.

ndanger

Reaction score
TheSkaven;1716527 said:
Sorry guys, this Patriots squad could play with the 90's Cowboys, 80's 49ers and 70's Steelers (and Cowboys, for that matter).

Yes, there has been expansion. But I want you to look at some of these statistics. There are good statistics, great statistics, and then there are these, in a whole completely different level.

Brady has thrown for over 1700 yards through 6 weeks in the NFL. He has thrown for an incredible 21 touchdowns to only 2 interceptions. Just let that settle in for a second. He's on pace to throw nearly 60 touchdowns this year, shattering any previous record.

Here's another one, through 6 games his completion percentage is 72.5%. That's NOT a typo, seventy-two point five freakin' percent!! And it's not like they run the west coast offense there with dink and dunk passes, he's averaging more yards per pass than any time in his career.

This team is dominant in all phases of the game. I mean really, you take a team that was already great and you add Randy Moss, Dante Stallworth and Wes Walker. Are you kidding me??

Guys, I loved the 90's Cowboys as much as anybody, but Troy is right on the money here.

Edit: Here is another statistic, not only are they 6-0, but they have won their games by an average of 23 points per game! For comparison purposes, the '92 Cowboys, who by the way went 13-3, won their games by an average of 15 points per game.

Again against much lesser teams,This is the age of parity my friend.

WarC

Reaction score
sago1;1716495 said:
Frankly, I rooted for the Patriots to win their first SB but admit now I can't stand them and really hope the Colts win it all -- unless of course we make it to Arizona ourselves in Feb 08.

Amen. I remember watching them play St. Louis in that Super Bowl. They were underdogs then, and I was pushing for them.

But c'mon its gettin' crazy now. No more Pats dynasty! They've won their fair share of Super Bowls this century already. :laugh2:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1716533 said:
You have completely ignored parity.

Well I haven't and I wish we could actually get that match up because I would be making some money.

Everyone wants to yack about how they could do this and do that but let one of the 90's Cowboys teams show up with a young Emmitt Smith, Cowboys Oline, Aikman, Irvin, Harper, and oh yeah the most dominating D in the league in all of our Superbowl runs and watch all these loud mouth idiots get scared real quick.

Like my boy Roy Jones jr said some of these fools must have forgot.

The only hope they would have is lobbing it up to Moss.

And you think you aren't going to beat us without a balanced attack? bwaaaaaahahahaha

Yeah right.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I say if the 92 Cowboys play the 07 Pats in the SB.........52-17 Dallas.

We were the youngest, fastest, deepest, and best coached team in the league. Our offense was the most balanced and lethal offense in the league, even better than the Bills. Our defense was right there at the top of the league. We could attack the QB, great against the run, great against the pass. Our STs was very good. Our Kick coverage was good. Our Kicker was good. Our return game was good. NE wouldn't stand a chance against that 92 team.....In fact, I don't see the 07 Pats being able to get within 14 of the 93 or 94 Cowboys.

But I do feel that they could beat the 95 Cowboys.