Say what you will but Jerry and Stephen and McCarthy are doing a good job

RomoIsGod

Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The problem with Stephen and Jerry is they have to be proven wrong without doubt before they adjust. Jason Garrett, Jaylon Smith, Kellen Moore, trading for players (“We like our guys”)

They are still stubborn/arrogant when it comes to deadline trades and premium free agency.

The problem with McClay is that he’s not really in charge of the draft until the 3rd maybe 4th round. The Jones insist on playing football guys in the early part of the draft. McClay and the scouts shine when the Jones don’t know the names anymore.

As for the OP’s take, they have gotten better but they are also the problem. Tough decisions require accountability and consequences. There are no consequences for the Jones’ mishaps in personnel.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
The problem with Stephen and Jerry is they have to be proven wrong without doubt before they adjust. Jason Garrett, Jaylon Smith, Kellen Moore, trading for players (“We like our guys”)

They are still stubborn/arrogant when it comes to deadline trades and premium free agency.

The problem with McClay is that he’s not really in charge of the draft until the 3rd maybe 4th round. The Jones insist on playing football guys in the early part of the draft. McClay and the scouts shine when the Jones don’t know the names anymore.

As for the OP’s take, they have gotten better but they are also the problem. Tough decisions require accountability and consequences. There are no consequences for the Jones’ mishaps in personnel.
Prove it. Im not doubting you. Like the Jack in the Box character says in the commercial "Show me the data"

Is the 2022 draft on the Jones' or McClay?

Let me guess...youre gonna pull the two truths math on me.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I believe in evaluating people at the top of a sports organization at the end of a season when the final results are in. I’m hopeful about this team and I think we have a good shot to do something we haven’t done in three decades this year. We still have to prove it. So I don’t believe in giving out trophies before they’ve been earned.

Secondly, Jerry deserves credit for hiring and keeping Will McClay‘s expertise around for making our drafts infinitely better than they were a decade ago. Without McClay this was a fantasy football draft every year. So…Credit due. Hiring McCarthy is a big upgrade over Garrett. Credit due. But again, let’s withhold the anointing oil until we actually do something of note in the playoffs.

One last point- if we climb the hill again even to an NFC championship game this year I will be thrilled. But JJ and SJ will have had 28 straight chances to do what no other GM could have in this league. Chance after chance after chance-28 straight chances with zero accountability for their lack of playoff success. It would be like a rich guy at the carnival finally winning a stuffed bear after 28 tries. Nobody else gets that many chances.

plasticman

Reaction score
"Of course, with the help of Will McClay scouting players."

Of course.it is McClay doing the great job and of course it is the Jones's receiving the credit.

The only problem is, McClay doesn't make the final decision. He's not the one that decided to go into the season with one experienced productive RB and a squad of practice players. He's not the one that decided the team will just have to rely on Tyron Smith and Zack Martin to play injury free.

So the Cowboys lose three Pro Bowl O-linemen to injury and replace them with a journeyman backup and two undrafted free agents. They lose to the Cardinals, but it wasn't McClay that still wouldn't make a trade before the deadline to acquire an upgrade in th the event of a longer term injury situation.

For that kind of decisions, I give full credit to the Jones's.

Perhaps we should postpone the parade until after the playoffs. We don't want to be the one that celebrates the TD before crossing the goal line.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Listen if we are gonna kill Jerry and Stephen when things go bad we have to give them credit for putting together a very good roster. They have done a really good job of late and I’ll say that now independent of what happens in the playoffs with regards to roster building.

Of course we have to keep it in the context of how long of a drought it’s been getting back to a championship game that is the ultimate goal- competing for Super Bowls and the right to get to the big game. However, we are in the midst of the franchises best run since the triplets and close to establishing ourselves as a really well run competitive organization and I do think that growth should be noted.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Listen if we are gonna kill Jerry and Stephen when things go bad we have to give them credit for putting together a very good roster. They have done a really good job of late and I’ll say that now independent of what happens in the playoffs with regards to roster building.

Of course we have to keep it in the context of how long of a drought it’s been getting back to a championship game that is the ultimate goal- competing for Super Bowls and the right to get to the big game. However, we are in the midst of the franchises best run since the triplets and close to establishing ourselves as a really well run competitive organization and I do think that growth should be noted.
what has changed?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ask me again in mid-late January.
He demonstrated strength in direction for three years now. That's not in question...one follows the level of play to find out who is in control and the quality developed on a team. It's now all knee jerk upon trophy from real heroes in play.

The overall indicator in sport, is then the money. Jerry tops the list there and his staff control all the internal directions. One has to the adjust to road bumps where they occur. Each and every season from the start, is not fair or equal. But in Dallas, the team is upon the same stage as the very top teams...now.

Now, it depends upon rhythm and momentum...not a fan's impatience for glory (level).

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I believe in evaluating people at the top of a sports organization at the end of a season when the final results are in. I’m hopeful about this team and I think we have a good shot to do something we haven’t done in three decades this year. We still have to prove it. So I don’t believe in giving out trophies before they’ve been earned.

Secondly, Jerry deserves credit for hiring and keeping Will McClay‘s expertise around for making our drafts infinitely better than they were a decade ago. Without McClay this was a fantasy football draft every year. So…Credit due. Hiring McCarthy is a big upgrade over Garrett. Credit due. But again, let’s withhold the anointing oil until we actually do something of note in the playoffs.

One last point- if we climb the hill again even to an NFC championship game this year I will be thrilled. But JJ and SJ will have had 28 straight chances to do what no other GM could have in this league. Chance after chance after chance-28 straight chances with zero accountability for their lack of playoff success. It would be like a rich guy at the carnival finally winning a stuffed bear after 28 tries. Nobody else gets that many chances.
Exactly. How many years did we waste on Jason Garrett? Are we supposed to forget all those years? And we've had good teams before only to fall in the playoffs....actually choke in the playoffs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
"Of course, with the help of Will McClay scouting players."

Of course.it is McClay doing the great job and of course it is the Jones's receiving the credit.

The only problem is, McClay doesn't make the final decision. He's not the one that decided to go into the season with one experienced productive RB and a squad of practice players. He's not the one that decided the team will just have to rely on Tyron Smith and Zack Martin to play injury free.

So the Cowboys lose three Pro Bowl O-linemen to injury and replace them with a journeyman backup and two undrafted free agents. They lose to the Cardinals, but it wasn't McClay that still wouldn't make a trade before the deadline to acquire an upgrade in th the event of a longer term injury situation.

For that kind of decisions, I give full credit to the Jones's.

Perhaps we should postpone the parade until after the playoffs. We don't want to be the one that celebrates the TD before crossing the goal line.

Absolutely! They've done a solid job of late. Full credit to them.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
what has changed?
Not sure what you mean what has changed? For starters the results in the sense of putting together multiple double digit wins seasons and playoff appearances consecutively in a row which is a hard feat in the nfl. The counter argument to that is “but but but no Super Bowls” which obviously is the goal but also the low hanging fruit/lowest denominator argument.

It’s extremely hard to win in this league, putting together rosters that give you multiple cracks at the apple Highly increases your odds of busting through and winning the whole thing- we are there right now and I do believe we will bust through, hopefully this season but certainly trending in the right direction becoming a team you can count on to be in the playoffs consistently which is a sign of a strong organization.

In terms of organizational hierarchy to answer your question, I don’t believe like many here do that jerry has such a stranglehold on drafts and other decisions- i feel in many ways he’s like the drunk uncle who hosts the parties, the family let has the floor but the meat and the potatoes of the decisions are made by will and staff, sold to Stephen , who then sells Jerry on ideas and let’s him talk like their his own. Sure, Jerry will meddle sometimes but he’s nowhere near the hindrance this board and casual fans make him out to be.

“Super bowl or bust” is a bumper sticker slogan….it hasn’t been a real thing for us for a long time or really in this league for awhile for most teams with a few exceptions. Jerry deserves criticism for that but for the last half decade the organization has been ran very well and for the past decade or so has been run good- the older Jerry gets the more he’s been open to other voice imo and we are seeing residual effects of this now.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.
I agree, the Boys brain trust with the exception of the 2023 draft has done a decent job drafting the last few years. But when it comes to signing FA's that have "Legal Tread" on the tire they're nowhere to be found. Signing those types of players are the ones that can get clubs over the hump and into the championship playoff games.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I disagree. McClay was shown on video to be pushing the selection of Mazi Smith, over taking another offensive lineman. Front did make two excellent offseason trades for Gilmore/Cooks for basically future comp picks. Did go get Hankins last year when there was an obvious need.

I agree they are stubborn and usually are late to react, but they are changing their ways and listening more to the people around them.

Really don't like their strategy to fa, but it appears they are becoming more flexible.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I disagree. McClay was shown on video to be pushing the selection of Mazi Smith, over taking another offensive lineman. Front did make two excellent offseason trades for Gilmore/Cooks for basically future comp picks. Did go get Hankins last year when there was an obvious need.

I agree they are stubborn and usually are late to react, but they are changing their ways and listening more to the people around them.

Really don't like their strategy to fa, but it appears they are becoming more flexible.
That part of the draft had already been rehearsed and decisions for changes already in place. Standard for selection was set by the head of the functional team in place. Argue choice, not procedure slamming that instead.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree, the Boys brain trust with the exception of the 2023 draft has done a decent job drafting the last few years. But when it comes to signing FA's that have "Legal Tread" on the tire they're nowhere to be found. Signing those types of players are the ones that can get clubs over the hump and into the championship playoff games.
We are just past the first half of the season...and window is three years.