Say what you will but Jerry and Stephen and McCarthy are doing a good job

CCBoy

Reaction score
I believe in evaluating people at the top of a sports organization at the end of a season when the final results are in. I’m hopeful about this team and I think we have a good shot to do something we haven’t done in three decades this year. We still have to prove it. So I don’t believe in giving out trophies before they’ve been earned.

Secondly, Jerry deserves credit for hiring and keeping Will McClay‘s expertise around for making our drafts infinitely better than they were a decade ago. Without McClay this was a fantasy football draft every year. So…Credit due. Hiring McCarthy is a big upgrade over Garrett. Credit due. But again, let’s withhold the anointing oil until we actually do something of note in the playoffs.

One last point- if we climb the hill again even to an NFC championship game this year I will be thrilled. But JJ and SJ will have had 28 straight chances to do what no other GM could have in this league. Chance after chance after chance-28 straight chances with zero accountability for their lack of playoff success. It would be like a rich guy at the carnival finally winning a stuffed bear after 28 tries. Nobody else gets that many chances.
I can answer that immediately. Worry, worry, worry, worry, worry, worry. I'm a much easier sell. The window now is three years and these Cowboys are a strong team sustained now.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think McCarthy is doing a good job, for sure. Jerry and Stephen lose points for not having the instincts to address the RB and RT positions with their 2 starters returning from serious injuries. Those two positions could be difference against the better teams in January.

Gambit

Reaction score
The problem with McClay is that he’s not really in charge of the draft until the 3rd maybe 4th round
And yet, it was his voice that determined the 1st round pick, this proving the entire basis of your point wrong.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.
Looking big picture, like say, the last 28 years, I would say not.
There has been improvements the last several years, so props for those.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
And yet, it was his voice that determined the 1st round pick, this proving the entire basis of your point wrong.
So does he get credit or blame for Taco, Trysten, Joseph, and Mazi?

Oh, only for the good picks? Got it.

McClay is trusted by the Jones no doubt. He’s not in charge and he knows not to rock the boat. McClay’s last boss questioned the Jones’ draft meddling and was fired.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That wasn’t my question. Why are you dodging?
Not dodging. The answer to your question is yes for the most part. Which isn't the goal.

If they beat Philly Sunday evening my answer is the same. If they beat Buffalo a week later my answer is the same.

How well they are or aren't playing now isn't the goal. Last time I checked, the league passes out the Lombardi trophy in February. That's the goal.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not dodging. The answer to your question is yes for the most part. Which isn't the goal.

If they beat Philly Sunday evening my answer is the same. If they beat Buffalo a week later my answer is the same.

How well they are or aren't playing now isn't the goal. Last time I checked, the league passes out the Lombardi trophy in February. That's the goal.
Again you’re dodging the question. But I get it with your type.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sadly I think they are doing a good job at keeping Jerry’s stadium full and the Cowboys relevant. We seem to avoid making moves that could move us from the pretty good to the serious contender category. If you want a 12-5 team they are doing a terrific job. If you want a Super Bowl champion I think they still have some work to do. The Eagles and 49ers are constantly looking for that one player who can make their team better. We don’t seem to do that anymore because the move may not pay off and it may cause us to go 5-12 next year. That costs Jerry money…

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sadly I think they are doing a good job at keeping Jerry’s stadium full and the Cowboys relevant. We seem to avoid making moves that could move us from the pretty good to the serious contender category. If you want a 12-5 team they are doing a terrific job. If you want a Super Bowl champion I think they still have some work to do. The Eagles and 49ers are constantly looking for that one player who can make their team better. We don’t seem to do that anymore because the move may not pay off and it may cause us to go 5-12 next year. That costs Jerry money…
Must suck to have no hope.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If the FO and Coaching staff weren't doing a stellar job, the team wouldn't be one of the best in the league.