Say what you will but Jerry and Stephen and McCarthy are doing a good job

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Not dodging. The answer to your question is yes for the most part. Which isn't the goal.

If they beat Philly Sunday evening my answer is the same. If they beat Buffalo a week later my answer is the same.

How well they are or aren't playing now isn't the goal. Last time I checked, the league passes out the Lombardi trophy in February. That's the goal.
The way some members react around here they make it sound like they merely want to look competitive in the regular season and have no goals beyond that. That's the Jerry jones mantra - 'relevant and interesting'. Nothing else after that matters. Did they have a good regular season record? Did Dak get his stats? That's all some members want.

I don't give a damn about regular season accomplishments, I want championships. That should be the goal for everyone, but it isn't the case.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm happy with 3 good regular seasons (counting 2023-24 regular season as good even though it's not complete yet). But there is a difference between "happy" and "satisfied". In Feb. if we're still playing I think you can count me satisfied.

But, to say I'm happy with the Jones team, just can't go that far. I think they are finally doing a competent job but to clarify my position as a Cowboy fan let me put out a couple of analogies:

- Happy with Jerrah and crew is like saying I'm happy my wife is no longer seeing her boyfriend. Sure I'm glad that that part of our relationship is over with its associated pain and hurt. Forever my heart has been damaged by her lack of competence at being a great mate.

- Happy with Jerrah and crew is like having an son that worked for me that would get drunk at work, oversleep, not show up, screw-up his duties at the job yet still show up on Friday for his paycheck and when I retire wants the company for himself.

So, yes, I'm somewhat pleased by our progress over the last 3 years. I mean I would much rather be a fan of the Cowboys than say the Commies, Panthers, NYG, NYJ right now. Regular season success is good. But unless there is substantial post season success all this fan thing "happiness" is just flatulence in the wind.

I hope you folks crowing around here like banty roosters understand that the Cowboys ain't done nothing substantial in decades (plural). If you're still crowing after reading this you either have no future vision or low standards.

Eddie

Reaction score
28 years without a NFC-CG/SB says otherwise.

cowboybish

Reaction score
"Of course, with the help of Will McClay scouting players."

Of course.it is McClay doing the great job and of course it is the Jones's receiving the credit.

The only problem is, McClay doesn't make the final decision. He's not the one that decided to go into the season with one experienced productive RB and a squad of practice players. He's not the one that decided the team will just have to rely on Tyron Smith and Zack Martin to play injury free.

So the Cowboys lose three Pro Bowl O-linemen to injury and replace them with a journeyman backup and two undrafted free agents. They lose to the Cardinals, but it wasn't McClay that still wouldn't make a trade before the deadline to acquire an upgrade in th the event of a longer term injury situation.

For that kind of decisions, I give full credit to the Jones's.

Perhaps we should postpone the parade until after the playoffs. We don't want to be the one that celebrates the TD before crossing the goal line.
Agree a D Henry trade could have been made even for a second round pick. we are really thin IMO at RB and we dont have the short yardage back… the hammer to get those critical yards when we need them. The window of opportunity may be short lived in the NFL and this is our chance now and maybe next year. Then who knows.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I believe in evaluating people at the top of a sports organization at the end of a season when the final results are in. I’m hopeful about this team and I think we have a good shot to do something we haven’t done in three decades this year. We still have to prove it. So I don’t believe in giving out trophies before they’ve been earned.

Secondly, Jerry deserves credit for hiring and keeping Will McClay‘s expertise around for making our drafts infinitely better than they were a decade ago. Without McClay this was a fantasy football draft every year. So…Credit due. Hiring McCarthy is a big upgrade over Garrett. Credit due. But again, let’s withhold the anointing oil until we actually do something of note in the playoffs.

One last point- if we climb the hill again even to an NFC championship game this year I will be thrilled. But JJ and SJ will have had 28 straight chances to do what no other GM could have in this league. Chance after chance after chance-28 straight chances with zero accountability for their lack of playoff success. It would be like a rich guy at the carnival finally winning a stuffed bear after 28 tries. Nobody else gets that many chances.
This fan holds dearly the value of individual accountability. Any one doubting comittment by both Jerry and Stephen is doing this purely on prejudice or has not honestly equated effort of them in a steeply environment in the NFL and are doing a prejudicial effort based mostly upon a hero version of sight lines and not upon professional sports and how many franchises in any pro sport adapt and win it all, in fact.

This group of Cowboys are equal to the last two rounds of playoffs...no matter what prior looks like, they are due respect again for being in that very high status. Just like when Tony Romo fumbled a snapped field goal kick with a slick ball.

Now it's football, as well as other teams tampering on rules and officials with bias as well. How many Green Bay playoff games were changed by referees as well.

Kick butt, Cowboys!! :starspin:

1942willys

Reaction score
Prove it. Im not doubting you. Like the Jack in the Box character says in the commercial "Show me the data"

Is the 2022 draft on the Jones' or McClay?

Let me guess...youre gonna pull the two truths math on me.
where are the championship game appearances? LIKE IN THE LAST 28 years

bigE79

Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.
Should have gotten a damn lb or 2 instead of 20 DEs is my only real gripe

1942willys

Reaction score
Now prove one has even been around for 28 years to give truth to your own stereotype, buddy.
why do some here keep coming up with excuses for 28 years of mediocrity?
The Dallas Cowboys USED to be in the hunt all the time for the SB. Not any more. Why are some here so happy about that?

shabazz

Reaction score
Whether or not Shaq Leonard would help here is debatable.....but him choosing the eagles over the cowboys is a judgement on this franchise. He decisions was almost certainly based on where he has the best shot at a ring.

it's an indictment on this FO whether some are willing to admit it or not.

CCBoy

Reaction score
why do some here keep coming up with excuses for 28 years of mediocrity?
The Dallas Cowboys USED to be in the hunt all the time for the SB. Not any more. Why are some here so happy about that?
Must be some type of sport terrorist fangled thing. :muttley: :thumbup:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Whether or not Shaq Leonard would help here is debatable.....but him choosing the eagles over the cowboys is a judgement on this franchise. He decisions was almost certainly based on where he has the best shot at a ring.

it's an indictment on this FO whether some are willing to admit it or not.
By him and his agent. He got paid more, bet? Dallas already has three outrageous negotiations coming right up after their Lombardi. To hell with any positive on washing any laundry on Leonard?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.
Big Mike doesn't have anything to do with signing/trading/drafting new players or coaches.

For Example: See the Lance trade, DQ, Solari.

Sydla

Reaction score
This desire to spike the ball and claim victory at this point is weird. But it happens every time we get on a run only to then get disappointed.

Let's talk about what a good job Jerry, Stephen and Mike did after we get through this guantlet of games and into the playoffs. Because if today you want to say they've done a really nice job and then we go 1-3 over the next 4, then this ball spiking is going to look kinda foolish.

rambo2

Reaction score
They are looking good so far.

shabazz

Reaction score
By him and his agent. He got paid more, bet? Dallas already has three outrageous negotiations coming right up after their Lombardi. To hell with any positive on washing any laundry on Leonard?
How much more? A couple grand ?......used to be a day that players would come here for a little less because they'd make it up on the back end playing for America's Team and all the endorsements that come with it.

Howie Roseman has been beating up on jerry for the last couple years now. That's a fact

Having said that, I didn't want "damaged goods" Leanord here anyway.....we have enough mediocrity at the LB position presently

rambo2

Reaction score
The problem with Stephen and Jerry is they have to be proven wrong without doubt before they adjust. Jason Garrett, Jaylon Smith, Kellen Moore, trading for players (“We like our guys”)

They are still stubborn/arrogant when it comes to deadline trades and premium free agency.

The problem with McClay is that he’s not really in charge of the draft until the 3rd maybe 4th round. The Jones insist on playing football guys in the early part of the draft. McClay and the scouts shine when the Jones don’t know the names anymore.

As for the OP’s take, they have gotten better but they are also the problem. Tough decisions require accountability and consequences. There are no consequences for the Jones’ mishaps in personnel.
30 something teams would love to have the problem.