Sayings You Were Raised Around

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on your age because these began to die off but they were prevalent when I was growing up. The origins were unclear and you had to guess as to the meaning when you first heard them as a kid. Especially when the saying was being used on yourself.

Don't give me all that "who shot John". This was one of the more puzzling but you know it meant get to the point, the facts mam, just the facts. But why John? Because that was a common name and they already knew who shot Abe?

She'll tell you "how the cow ate the cabbage". Took me a while to figure out this meant not necessarily being tactful.

I didn't "just fall off the turnip truck, ya know". Why turnips, do really stupid people grow turnips? Or are they not allowed in town much? Weren't there more mainstream vegetables back then like potatoes and corn? Or was it illegal for people to actually ride on top of the potatoes and corn but turnips were OK?

My Dad's favorite whenever I used the word "if". "If a bullfrog had a shotgun up his butt, he wouldn't be afraid of snakes". This one really puzzled me until I figured out the shotgun would be pointing out because the snake could just slither up and pull the trigger with it's tongue. His was a lot more visual and fun to think of than cows eating cabbage, people falling off trucks or wondering about just who did shoot John.

My Mom had two favorites that she used on me often, one of which really made no sense. The first was "you'd argue with a signpost". This was my early preparation for being on DC forums. Underlying meaning "YOU ARE WRONG, NOW SHUT UP"!!!!

But the one that really made no sense and seemed to be her favorite was "you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope". A, don't think I would be complaining about much of anything and B, I would have preferred an old rope, a very, very old rope. But I am figuring if I am being hung, being a complainer was a minor offense.

I heard all of these, except my Dad's, from my grandmothers as well so I know they were passed down but from whence they came is a mystery.

What sayings were around when you were a kid?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It depends on your age because these began to die off but they were prevalent when I was growing up. The origins were unclear and you had to guess as to the meaning when you first heard them as a kid. Especially when the saying was being used on yourself.

Don't give me all that "who shot John". This was one of the more puzzling but you know it meant get to the point, the facts mam, just the facts. But why John? Because that was a common name and they already knew who shot Abe?

She'll tell you "how the cow ate the cabbage". Took me a while to figure out this meant not necessarily being tactful.

I didn't "just fall off the turnip truck, ya know". Why turnips, do really stupid people grow turnips? Or are they not allowed in town much? Weren't there more mainstream vegetables back then like potatoes and corn? Or was it illegal for people to actually ride on top of the potatoes and corn but turnips were OK?

My Dad's favorite whenever I used the word "if". "If a bullfrog had a shotgun up his butt, he wouldn't be afraid of snakes". This one really puzzled me until I figured out the shotgun would be pointing out because the snake could just slither up and pull the trigger with it's tongue. His was a lot more visual and fun to think of than cows eating cabbage, people falling off trucks or wondering about just who did shoot John.

My Mom had two favorites that she used on me often, one of which really made no sense. The first was "you'd argue with a signpost". This was my early preparation for being on DC forums. Underlying meaning "YOU ARE WRONG, NOW SHUT UP"!!!!

But the one that really made no sense and seemed to be her favorite was "you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope". A, don't think I would be complaining about much of anything and B, I would have preferred an old rope, a very, very old rope. But I am figuring if I am being hung, being a complainer was a minor offense.

I heard all of these, except my Dad's, from my grandmothers as well so I know they were passed down but from whence they came is a mystery.

What sayings were around when you were a kid?
I would have translated that bullfrog thing to mean he'd be too afraid of the shotgun to be worried about the snake, but hey, it works(?) either way.

These sayings are probably more of a southern thing, so I don't have much to contribute....Ain't that a kick in the ***?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Till the cows come home

Like a chicken with its head cut off

Three sheets to the wind

Six of one and half a dozen of another

This ain’t my first rodeo
I wonder where that third one came from. They hung their sheets on the line to dry but why 3 sheets?

What if it is someone's first rodeo, what do they say? This isn't my first quilting?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have translated that bullfrog thing to mean he'd be too afraid of the shotgun to be worried about the snake, but hey, it works(?) either way.

These sayings are probably more of a southern thing, so I do have much to contribute....Ain't that a kick in the ***?
I believe you are right about more coming from the South.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder where that third one came from. They hung their sheets on the line to dry but why 3 sheets?

What if it is someone's first rodeo, what do they say? This isn't my first quilting?
I believe you are right about more coming from the South.

My wife has a ton of them. Her moms side of the family were ranchers, and they got passed down. We’ve been married a long time and ocassionally she still pulls one out I haven’t heard before.