Sayings You Were Raised Around

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More convenient than cutting it off the cob yourself?

That’s a much better guess than I had before I looked it up

It refers to the fact that old stores (late 1800’s ?) used to put canned goods on a high shelf, and to get them down the store clerk would reach up with a stick and slide them off the shelf, and then easily catch the can as it fell.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That’s a much better guess than I had before I looked it up

It refers to the fact that old stores (late 1800’s ?) used to put canned goods on a high shelf, and to get them down the store clerk would reach up with a stick and slide them off the shelf, and then easily catch the can as it fell.
Interesting!

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
If you keep doing that you will go blind
LukEhrp.jpg

cowboyec

Reaction score
"chop-chop"

and the art of cussin' from my dad....showed me how to put my hands on the wheel and flip the bird without people seein'.

and my mom didnt do the "wash"......it was "warsh".

Xelda

Reaction score
It's hotter or colder than Cooter Brown. Time for a bath, you stink like Cooter Brown. Cooter Brown represented the highest or lowest you could go.
Daddy would always say "If I'm lying, I'll kiss a bald headed monkey." One day a coworker came in and had just shaved his head. I said "There's your bald headed monkey, daddy."
You can take your pissy panties off right now.
Live and learn, die and forget it all
Brush your teeth or they'll all fall out.
You can't soar with the eagles if you hoot with the owls. (The morning classic.)

Quite a few I can't post.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"chop-chop"

and the art of cussin' from my dad....showed me how to put my hands on the wheel and flip the bird without people seein'.

and my mom didnt do the "wash"......it was "warsh".
My mother says "warsh" too, and "Warshington". It's irritating, and I never let it pass...ever.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's hotter or colder than Cooter Brown. Time for a bath, you stink like Cooter Brown. Cooter Brown represented the highest or lowest you could go.
Daddy would always say "If I'm lying, I'll kiss a bald headed monkey." One day a coworker came in and had just shaved his head. I said "There's your bald headed monkey, daddy."
You can take your pissy panties off right now.
Live and learn, die and forget it all
Brush your teeth or they'll all fall out.
You can't soar with the eagles if you hoot with the owls. (The morning classic.)

Quite a few I can't post.

I'm guessing Cooter Brown was some idiot they actually knew. lol
The "Brush your teeth" one isn't so much a saying as it is good advice! :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cooter Brown is a pretty well known name in the South. Mostly I’ve heard about being drunker than Cooter Brown.
I was thinking that when her mom said she stank worse than Cooter Brown, at least she didn't transpose the names. :grin:

But, yeah, never heard of this Cooter Brown guy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you want your young child to take off his clothes for a bath or to get ready for bed you tell him to “skin a rabbit”. Then when you tuck him into bed you tell him “ goodnight, and don’t let the bed bugs bite”.