Scattershooting: Garrett and Stephen Jones

GenoT

Reaction score
It is all about finding the right balance.

Many years too many people had too much input because Jerry didn't have a structured process around him.

Then they went to the other extreme (See DL Floyd) and didn't consult the coaches in the draft.

Now Stephen Jones is the final decision maker. If Jerry questions him, he goes into a long speech about salary cap issues. Jerry's eyes glaze over and Jerry slips out of the room to get a drink and never returns. Stephen spends another 4 hours talking about the cap just for fun. Jerry comes by and peaks in but then sneaks out and goes to the strip club.
If Stephen really is the final decision maker (doubtful), then Garrett should now be on the hot seat with NO excuses for failure, correct?

So whaddya think happens if Garrett posts another 9-7/no postseason? Do you think Stephen fires him?

My bet would be, JG would be excused because Jerry, although more likely at this stage to go along with a group decision, is still the “final decision maker”, and will be until he formally and publicly yields to son Stephen.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
There is no hot seat for Garrett. No one should have any hope Garrett woould be fired, Jerry has his built in excuses from back in April, if not before.

Only if we go 0-16 and remain completely healthy will there be a 3% chance Garrett is gone.

Yeah, I am not so sure about that. I think a 6-10 or worse gets him fired.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So very true. #1 problem with this franchise.

So you are implying this team hasn't become cap solvent and built a solid team without much dead cap or old players lingering around...with Stephen? Maybe, just maybe, he's earned his keep, not matter how 'kiss ***' is deemed sorted out.

cern

Reaction score
In the last several years Stephen has taken control of salaries and cap management. He has gotten us out of dead money he'll. Working with will McCray he has built arguably the best o-line in the NFL. He added the best rb in the NFL. He has the cajones to rid the team of dez and moved on from romo. We now seem to have a more than respectable defense. We still need safety work, but he addressed o-line needs, lb needs and wr needs just this year. Those who criticize him because of his last name are being ridiculous.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Stephen really is the final decision maker (doubtful), then Garrett should now be on the hot seat with NO excuses for failure, correct?

So whaddya think happens if Garrett posts another 9-7/no postseason? Do you think Stephen fires him?

My bet would be, JG would be excused because Jerry, although more likely at this stage to go along with a group decision, is still the “final decision maker”, and will be until he formally and publicly yields to son Stephen.

The last year on Garrett's contract is 2019.

If they want to keep Garrett, he would get a contract extension in March 2019 or earlier. It's standard practice.

If 9-7 and no playoffs he definitely won't get an extension.

If his contract was up, he definitely would not return.

Since they have to pay him for 2019 regardless of whether he is fired or not, it could affect the decision. Stephen would not like paying Garrett AND a new HC for 2019.

I think Stephen would prefer to have Linehan as the Head Coach this season but they didn't want to fire Garrett AND pay him for two more seasons.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I don't know why we have to debate how decisions are made or made them. Who cares really. The position coaches report to the Coordinators, they report to the HC the HC reports to GM. I doubt any GM, HC or any other FO people are just willy nilly making decisions based on their thoughts alone. Not even God Bill up in NE. They get together and they hash out what every player can bring vs what the cost is and they made decisions that are in the best interest of the team, both Short and long term. I doubt very seriously that the coordinators, and the HC go to either of the jones and say "we have to keep this player" and the jones are like "nah, I don't think so". Or the other way around. Just like I doubt that the LB Coach and the DC go to Bill in NE and want to keep X player at LB and Bill is like "to bad suckers, he is out of here".

As far as the hot seat, I doubt it's even luke warm at this point. Now, if we stay healthy and the team wins 5 or 6 games, it will get hot real quick and it should. But I don't look at things in a vacuum either and declare we must win 10 games or I am going to fire the HC. You have to look at the facts and figure out why and then go from there. For example, say week 1, Dak, Rush, Zeke, Smith, lee, LB Smith and Looney all go down with season ending injuries,, does that change the dynamics of what the expectations are for the year? Or should Garrett still be expected to win 10+ and make a SB Run?

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
My conclusion is that Garrett has much less control over roster decisions than he had in the past.

I think Stephen Jones has put Garrett in the corner.

I don't think Garrett wanted to cut Dez regardless of what Dez thinks happened. Stephen Jones never wanted to give Dez the mega-contract and Linehan campaigned to dump Dez.

I think that if Garrett was in complete control that he would have convinced Witten to stay.

It also appears that Garrett was against the cut of Dan Bailey.

If I'm correct, I think it's a great sign that things have changed for the better.

It is not ideal to have the front office and head coach not be on the same page; however, Garrett has not earned the trust that is given to coaches like Belicheck.

Only a few Head Coaches have earned the trust to be given complete control of personnel.

Giving complete control to coaches on the hot seat or 1st year coaches could be a disaster for teams.

The Eagles somehow managed to overcome the Chip Kelly debacle; however, that could have been a disaster for them.

Jon Gruden could be creating a huge mess in Oakland. They are making radical decisions before Gruden and his coaching staff have even seen players in a regular season game.

Coaches on the hot seat make high-risk decisions to win now even if it's a bad long term strategy for the team.

Some coaches like Garrett and Marinelli appear to make decisions because they like or dislike a player on a personal level. I think Garrett would have kept Witten forever and paid him whatever was required to keep him including Witten playing 100% of the snaps when he was 45 years old. Nick Golden Cock Hayden would likely still be here if Marinelli was making the decisions.

Even with great coaches teams need to be careful. Some people think Belicheck would sabbatoge the Patriots if he was ready to retire or move on to another team because he is not on great terms with the owner. Jimmy gave a young player to Dave Wannstedt in Chicago because Jimmy figured he would be gone by the time the player developed and he liked reminding Jerry that he was in charge of personnel decisions regardless of what Jerry told the media.

I'm not a Garrett hater and I believe he has done some very good things for the team; however, I don't want him to be the final decision maker for personnel decisions, especially now that Stephen Jones has put him on the hot seat.

Good post, but you fumbled the football at the goal line with the first part of your closing sentence.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I'd say it is pretty clear Stephen is in charge and he the guy he most trusts is McClay.
Garrett is consulted an has a voice on all these moves and they take it to Jerry for his rubber stamp but he's only going to get his way if one of the 3 buy in.

McClay was honest about Dez so you know he voted release. Same with Stephen. Think Garrett may have agreed with much of their thoughts but wanted a WR1 in here.

Jerry is a figurehead at this point.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
My conclusion is that Garrett has much less control over roster decisions than he had in the past.

I don't think Garrett wanted to cut Dez regardless of what Dez thinks happened. Stephen Jones never wanted to give Dez the mega-contract and Linehan campaigned to dump Dez.

I think that if Garrett was in complete control that he would have convinced Witten to stay.

If I'm correct, I think it's a great sign that things have changed for the better.

It is not ideal to have the front office and head coach not be on the same page; however, Garrett has not earned the trust that is given to coaches like Belicheck.

Only a few Head Coaches have earned the trust to be given complete control of personnel.

Giving complete control to coaches on the hot seat or 1st year coaches could be a disaster for teams.

The Eagles somehow managed to overcome the Chip Kelly debacle; however, that could have been a disaster for them.

Jon Gruden could be creating a huge mess in Oakland. They are making radical decisions before Gruden and his coaching staff have even seen players in a regular season game.

Coaches on the hot seat make high-risk decisions to win now even if it's a bad long term strategy for the team.

Some coaches like Garrett and Marinelli appear to make decisions because they like or dislike a player on a personal level. I think Garrett would have kept Witten forever and paid him whatever was required to keep him including Witten playing 100% of the snaps when he was 45 years old. Nick Golden Cock Hayden would likely still be here if Marinelli was making the decisions.

Even with great coaches teams need to be careful. Some people think Belicheck would sabbatoge the Patriots if he was ready to retire or move on to another team because he is not on great terms with the owner. Jimmy gave a young player to Dave Wannstedt in Chicago because Jimmy figured he would be gone by the time the player developed and he liked reminding Jerry that he was in charge of personnel decisions regardless of what Jerry told the media.

I'm not a Garrett hater and I believe he has done some very good things for the team; however, I don't want him to be the final decision maker for personnel decisions, especially now that Stephen Jones has put him on the hot seat.

Garrett has never had control over the roster. But I would agree its getting less and less over time. What little power Garrett had when he started have been slowly taken away from him.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I think you have done too much thinking....not good for you....:huh:

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
This seems to be opposite of what Dez thinks, since he thinks Garrett's guys are responsible for getting him gone.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
The problem is Stephen Jones wouldn't have his job, if his last name wasn't Jones.
A lot of positions in companies are received due to nepotism or the old "it's who you know" thing. Let's not pretend that this only happens with the Cowboys and no other football team or company.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Michigan lost. Jim Harbaugh will probably be available this offseason.

He's 9-9 his last 18 games at Michigan. :facepalm:

HfzeVnj.jpg

RS12

Reaction score
Michigan lost. Jim Harbaugh will probably be available this offseason.
Not a chance Harbaugh works for Jerry. If the Urban Meyer situation ends badly, thats a big maybe. Otherwise say hello to head coach Art Briles.